General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 AM   #1  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Default Paint in carpet

Help. Does anyone know how to remove paint from carpet. My DD placed a gallon bucket of light green paint in her closet after we had painted her room. The lid must have been loose and my 2 yr. old grandson knocked it over. We have a huge mess here. I have sopped it up with paper towels, but the once beige berber carpet is green in there. I have tried soap and water with no luck.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

What sort of paint is it? Latex? I guess the type of carpet matters too, because some solvents could take the paint out, but damage the carpet.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #3  

Paint thinner takes out most anything but that same thing happened to me. Thankfully it was in the basement. When you use paint thinner you need plenty of ventilation.......really smelly. I use it all the time on grease stains in clothing........only thing that works.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #4  
lilybelle

I am going to try the paint thinner. If it stains the carpet or lightens the color, it will still look better than the green carpet. I can put a rug over it. It is at the edge of her closet. About a 2 foot circle. I got all the wet paint up last night and scrubbed for a long time, without the green coming up. I should be thankful that my 2 yr. old grandson didn't play in it when he knocked it over and get it all over himself and the rest of the house.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

We used our carpet cleaner with oxyclean and went over it many, many times (latex paint).
Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

You didn't say whether it was latex or oil-based paint, which is an important piece of information because they have different cleanup methods.

If it's latex paint, keep it wet, don't scrub it into the carpet fibers any further, and rent a carpet cleaner immediately. You want one that will get the carpet wet and then suck the water back out (and hopefully the paint with it.) You will need to go over it a lot of times probably.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #7  
lilybelle

You guys are so smart. I have a good carpet cleaner and oxyclean and hadn't thought of trying that. I will do this today.
Closed Thread