Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #1  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Default Cool Runners - November

Whew - already November!

No run for me last night with the trick-or-treaters and all...good news is all of our candy is gone!

DH and I had a great time giving out the candy.

Will run tonight and tomorrow.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

Well I gorged myself last night on chips, queso, halloween candy and beer... but got up and did a 4 mile run this morning to help counteract...

Question for you guys - For the serious super distance runners, are you still trying to lose weight or are you just maintaining so you can focus on eating plenty to keep your body fueled? How many calories do you normally eat?

Also the half marathon I'm signed up for is actually a full marathon, and there's another half in January... wondering if I should train for an actual marathon, try the half in January and if that goes well then run a full in february? how long does it take to train for a marathon?

Lucky - it's actually the motorola marathon, I'm just signing up for the half,
SarahinBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Going for the full is a real commitment - how much of a base do you have? I did my first marathon about a year after my first 10k, and even that seemed to be a bit soon in some ways, and I feel like it would have been easier to train for if I'd got used to doing halves first. But that's not to say that it can't be done, just that it can be a shock to the system if you build up too quickly.

I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, I'm about 5lb under my original goal weight anyway, and I'm pretty happy with my weight. I could lose more, but I'd rather eat well and stay how I am than be too strict and get thinner than I need to be. I do run better when I'm eating a bit more anyway, so I prefer to do that. I have no idea how many calories I eat, it depends how hungry I am! I don't track it too carefully.

I ran 6 miles with running club tonight. I've got a 10 mile race on Sunday and I really wanted to get a run under my belt after this bug I've had so I don't have to go straight back into the race. It felt surprisingly good, so fingers crossed it's definitely clearing up.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #4  
Caden's Mommy

Since I started doing 30+ miles a week, I've found it really hard to lose any weight at all. I am trying to lose weight but it's really hard for me right now because I am so hungry lately and I have to eat in order to have enough energy...my problem is sometimes i don't make the best choices for food and I should be losing pounds but I'm not...I think i'm weird though because other people are losing like mad when they run

I'm not too worried about it right now because my body is getting a little bit smaller and I'm definitely not getting any bigger...I'd like to lose enough weight to fit back comfortably into my jeans that I bought in January after I lost about 30 pounds.

The truth is I haven't been on the scale in about 2 or 3 months...I know I've gained "weight" (mostly muscle I'm thinking since my body hasn't gotten any bigger and my legs are definitely more toned now) so I don't even bother with it...just going by my waist and hip measurements...usually everything else falls in line after that.

I eat about 1800-1900 calories a day (on average).

I've been training for the marathon since August time frame...I was already running around 20 miles a week by then. I just started adding distance to my long run every week and kept almost everything else the same (a few slight changes but nothing huge).
Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #5  

Ladies - Thank you so much for your input! Planning a long run this weekend, may try for 8 since 6 came pretty easily last time...

It would be nice to change my goal from weight to marathon/half marathon. I'm thinking my body would probably naturally find it's goal weight in the process. I love running and it's so funny for me to say cause I used to HATE it. I love the fact that my pace has increased to the point where I feel like I'm going fast (still only a 10 min mile, but better than a 12). I did a 10K this past spring, so the marathon/half marathon would be about a year after I achieved that first goal.

I'll just start training and see how it goes, cause right now a marathon seems CRAZY, and a half marathon seems way more do-able. Can always sign up for the full marathon next year.

Might start popping in more often cause it's neat chatting with other runners esp those more experienced.

One more question - What does a typical running week look like for you?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #6  

I'm really excited because I signed up with a training group (Jeff Gallow?) that starts Saturday morning, it's a beginner group that trains specifically for the 1/2 Marathon portion of the Austin Marathon. I'm excited because I'll have a group to do my weekend distance run with, and I'll have some coaches who will train my form and help push me. YAAAY!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Sarah,

I have a lot of trouble losing weight and doing long distance events. I'm OK up until about a half marathon, and then I start getting unreal sugar cravings. On the flip side, I can eat just about anything and maintain when I'm doing that. Everybody is different, but if I'm trying to take off a couple pounds, I'll try to do that before I start a major training cycle. Like now, for example.

I trained for my first marathon in late 2003/early 2004--the marathon would have marked 9 months of running. I had done 2 halves already then. Two weeks before I was set to go, all my training done and just tapering, I got a severe pain in my foot, which turned out to be a stress fracture. So 3 days before the trip I had to cancel everything. I was absolutely devastated. One thing that we forget as we start running (and I think about more now as I get back into it) is that in addition to cardio training and muscle conditioning, the skeletal system--bones, ligaments, cartilage--also has to be trained for those distances. It is the slowest system to train, and you can outdo yourself and create problems. That is exactly what I did. Broken bone. Everybody is different and lots of people have no issues, but my advice would be to wait until you have a good solid base of at least a year of running 3-4 days a week before you start. The Gallow program is a good idea with its scheduled walk breaks so you might get some more mileage out of that with less chance of injury. You might also look at some training programs on Runner's World or Cool Running to see how those look to you.

My typical training week (in winter) is about 4 days of running, 3 short (<4miles), 1 long, cycling one day, swimming one day, and (finally!) strength training about 1-3 days a week. I do triathlon in summer, so I tend to run only a couple days a week then, one long run, one hard run (tempo). I'm getting myself back into it after 6 months of forced inactivity due to a complicated pregnancy and then a year of absolute chaos (and illness) with the actual baby! Things are calming down now, I'm training for a half in January, and all is well.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #8  

Hey Anne,

Thanks so much for your input! You are absolutely correct that the skeletol system is something I hadn't thought about. I was playing around with taking calcium suppliments but I'll definitely start now! I think you're right and this morning I was daydreaming about doing the half and then joining up with the marathon training group next August to train for the Austin Marathon the following year.

Sounds like you've done incredibly for yourself! Thanks again for your input.

Sarah
Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #9  
No description available.

3 miles today and I am so glad that I did it! No more slacking. 3 miles 3 times a week. At least. Rain or shine or whatever comes.

Woohoo!

Regarding a marathon, when I finished my half, all I could think was "that was a really #*($*@& long way". Marathoners go twice as far. Whew. I don't know if that is in my future. 26.2 miles is a long long long way. Run the half first and see what you think. Best of luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Just over 4 miles this morning, I still don't think I'm quite recovered from this bug, but I wanted to get back into it now I'm a lot better than I was. I have a 10 mile race tomorrow and although I'm not going to "race" it, I wanted to get an easy-ish run under my belt before turning out for it. It will be my first race since I joined the running club so I want to do my best because there will be other people there watching how I do. So I'm not going to push myself too hard, but I'm going to try not to crumble and walk too early! Afterwards we're going for a pub lunch, which should be nice.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

What do you guys wear when running in the rain? The rainy season started with a vengeance here in Oregon, and I'm kind of stymied about what to wear so I can keep running outside. I hate wearing too much because I get really hot and sweaty when I run. But I don't want to get soaking wet from the rain either. Suggestions?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Sheila, not much rain here. I might throw on a jacket with a back vent, and a hat to keep the rain out of my face.

Did my tri today, 400m swim/10.5 mile bike/3 mile run. I finished first in my division. My run stank but it got the job done. 11:40/miles even with numerous walk breaks. I guess that's what I get after redlining all the way on the bike. Last tri of the season so I'm back to being a runner until about February.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Well done for coming first in your division.

I did my 10 mile race today, I finished in about 1:32 which wasn't too bad particularly considering it was a fairly hilly course. There were a load of running club people there, and I ended up running with a bloke who I've not seen at training (his mother's in hospital so he can't make the evening runs) but who spotted my vest and decided to pace me round, which really helped me. We went for a pub lunch and a couple of pints afterwards to celebrate. I was happy because I was the first of the group of girls I usually run with to finish. Club runs normally split into a couple of groups, and there were quite a lot of people from my group doing it, and I beat them all. Maybe I should try to run with a faster group at some point soon.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #14  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Sarahslacker!! Not sure if you remember me from the SBD board but I just popped in here and YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!! Not sure if you're still on that board or not. I went from there to the Sonoma to now eating healthy w/sonoma principles and lots of running. I wish you great success in running!!

I've been running quite a bit lately and just completed my 2nd 10k, have my second 8k on Sat, then I signed up for a 10k on Thanksgiving morning, a frostbite 15k in Jan and then a half marathon in April and a half relay(hopefully, lottery system) in May. Some friends are pushing for an Oct marathon but mentally I'm just not thinking about that.

Ran a great 7.25 yesterday with the nicest man who's completed 24 marathons! Wow was it fun picking his brain
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #15  
Caden's Mommy

Completed my Half marathon yesterday morning with an official chip time of 1:59:21.35 - faster than my previous Half in February by about 13 seconds and this course was much more difficult!! I am thrilled with my result. I am extremely sore and I have a couple of questions for you all:

1) this was my first long race running in shorts and even though i wear them regularly for my training my inner thighs are extremely chafed and raw today. I am thinking about purchasing some biker-style shorts to wear underneath for future longer runs. What do you guys think? is this the best solution for me? I prefer only to wear pants if it's ~40 degrees and below so I would rather not wear them in milder temperatures.

2) what kind of headphones do you all wear when you listen to music while running? I've seen lots of new types out there - 'marshmellow', gel types,etc...what's best??? I did a search throughout the forum to see what had been written before and it's looking like the kind I have may be ok (each ear piece has a clip to go over each ear with a central cord)...from what everyone has said earbuds may not be the way to go.

Have a great week!

Last edited by Lucky13; 11-06-2006 at 07:55 AM.