Exercise! - Cool Runners - November

View Full Version : Cool Runners - November

Lucky13
11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Whew - already November!

No run for me last night with the trick-or-treaters and all...good news is all of our candy is gone!

DH and I had a great time giving out the candy.

Will run tonight and tomorrow.

SarahinBalance
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Well I gorged myself last night on chips, queso, halloween candy and beer... but got up and did a 4 mile run this morning to help counteract...

Question for you guys - For the serious super distance runners, are you still trying to lose weight or are you just maintaining so you can focus on eating plenty to keep your body fueled? How many calories do you normally eat?

Also the half marathon I'm signed up for is actually a full marathon, and there's another half in January... wondering if I should train for an actual marathon, try the half in January and if that goes well then run a full in february? how long does it take to train for a marathon?

Lucky - it's actually the motorola marathon, I'm just signing up for the half,

YP1
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Going for the full is a real commitment - how much of a base do you have? I did my first marathon about a year after my first 10k, and even that seemed to be a bit soon in some ways, and I feel like it would have been easier to train for if I'd got used to doing halves first. But that's not to say that it can't be done, just that it can be a shock to the system if you build up too quickly.

I'm not trying to lose weight at the moment, I'm about 5lb under my original goal weight anyway, and I'm pretty happy with my weight. I could lose more, but I'd rather eat well and stay how I am than be too strict and get thinner than I need to be. I do run better when I'm eating a bit more anyway, so I prefer to do that. I have no idea how many calories I eat, it depends how hungry I am! I don't track it too carefully.

I ran 6 miles with running club tonight. I've got a 10 mile race on Sunday and I really wanted to get a run under my belt after this bug I've had so I don't have to go straight back into the race. It felt surprisingly good, so fingers crossed it's definitely clearing up.

Lucky13
11-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Since I started doing 30+ miles a week, I've found it really hard to lose any weight at all. I am trying to lose weight but it's really hard for me right now because I am so hungry lately and I have to eat in order to have enough energy...my problem is sometimes i don't make the best choices for food and I should be losing pounds but I'm not...I think i'm weird though because other people are losing like mad when they run :)

I'm not too worried about it right now because my body is getting a little bit smaller and I'm definitely not getting any bigger...I'd like to lose enough weight to fit back comfortably into my jeans that I bought in January after I lost about 30 pounds.

The truth is I haven't been on the scale in about 2 or 3 months...I know I've gained "weight" (mostly muscle I'm thinking since my body hasn't gotten any bigger and my legs are definitely more toned now) so I don't even bother with it...just going by my waist and hip measurements...usually everything else falls in line after that.

I eat about 1800-1900 calories a day (on average).

I've been training for the marathon since August time frame...I was already running around 20 miles a week by then. I just started adding distance to my long run every week and kept almost everything else the same (a few slight changes but nothing huge).

SarahinBalance
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Ladies - Thank you so much for your input! Planning a long run this weekend, may try for 8 since 6 came pretty easily last time...

It would be nice to change my goal from weight to marathon/half marathon. I'm thinking my body would probably naturally find it's goal weight in the process. I love running and it's so funny for me to say cause I used to HATE it. I love the fact that my pace has increased to the point where I feel like I'm going fast (still only a 10 min mile, but better than a 12). I did a 10K this past spring, so the marathon/half marathon would be about a year after I achieved that first goal.

I'll just start training and see how it goes, cause right now a marathon seems CRAZY, and a half marathon seems way more do-able. Can always sign up for the full marathon next year.

Might start popping in more often cause it's neat chatting with other runners esp those more experienced.

One more question - What does a typical running week look like for you?

SarahinBalance
11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm really excited because I signed up with a training group (Jeff Gallow?) that starts Saturday morning, it's a beginner group that trains specifically for the 1/2 Marathon portion of the Austin Marathon. I'm excited because I'll have a group to do my weekend distance run with, and I'll have some coaches who will train my form and help push me. YAAAY!

AnneWonders
11-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Sarah,

I have a lot of trouble losing weight and doing long distance events. I'm OK up until about a half marathon, and then I start getting unreal sugar cravings. On the flip side, I can eat just about anything and maintain when I'm doing that. Everybody is different, but if I'm trying to take off a couple pounds, I'll try to do that before I start a major training cycle. Like now, for example.

I trained for my first marathon in late 2003/early 2004--the marathon would have marked 9 months of running. I had done 2 halves already then. Two weeks before I was set to go, all my training done and just tapering, I got a severe pain in my foot, which turned out to be a stress fracture. So 3 days before the trip I had to cancel everything. I was absolutely devastated. One thing that we forget as we start running (and I think about more now as I get back into it) is that in addition to cardio training and muscle conditioning, the skeletal system--bones, ligaments, cartilage--also has to be trained for those distances. It is the slowest system to train, and you can outdo yourself and create problems. That is exactly what I did. Broken bone. Everybody is different and lots of people have no issues, but my advice would be to wait until you have a good solid base of at least a year of running 3-4 days a week before you start. The Gallow program is a good idea with its scheduled walk breaks so you might get some more mileage out of that with less chance of injury. You might also look at some training programs on Runner's World or Cool Running to see how those look to you.

My typical training week (in winter) is about 4 days of running, 3 short (<4miles), 1 long, cycling one day, swimming one day, and (finally!) strength training about 1-3 days a week. I do triathlon in summer, so I tend to run only a couple days a week then, one long run, one hard run (tempo). I'm getting myself back into it after 6 months of forced inactivity due to a complicated pregnancy and then a year of absolute chaos (and illness) with the actual baby! Things are calming down now, I'm training for a half in January, and all is well.

Anne

SarahinBalance
11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey Anne,

Thanks so much for your input! You are absolutely correct that the skeletol system is something I hadn't thought about. I was playing around with taking calcium suppliments but I'll definitely start now! I think you're right and this morning I was daydreaming about doing the half and then joining up with the marathon training group next August to train for the Austin Marathon the following year.

Sounds like you've done incredibly for yourself! Thanks again for your input.

Sarah

midwife
11-02-2006, 05:42 PM
3 miles today and I am so glad that I did it! No more slacking. 3 miles 3 times a week. At least. Rain or shine or whatever comes.

Woohoo!

Regarding a marathon, when I finished my half, all I could think was "that was a really #*($*@& long way". Marathoners go twice as far. Whew. I don't know if that is in my future. 26.2 miles is a long long long way. Run the half first and see what you think. Best of luck!

YP1
11-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Just over 4 miles this morning, I still don't think I'm quite recovered from this bug, but I wanted to get back into it now I'm a lot better than I was. I have a 10 mile race tomorrow and although I'm not going to "race" it, I wanted to get an easy-ish run under my belt before turning out for it. It will be my first race since I joined the running club so I want to do my best because there will be other people there watching how I do. So I'm not going to push myself too hard, but I'm going to try not to crumble and walk too early! Afterwards we're going for a pub lunch, which should be nice.

Sheila53
11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
What do you guys wear when running in the rain? The rainy season started with a vengeance here in Oregon, and I'm kind of stymied about what to wear so I can keep running outside. I hate wearing too much because I get really hot and sweaty when I run. But I don't want to get soaking wet from the rain either. Suggestions?

AnneWonders
11-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Sheila, not much rain here. I might throw on a jacket with a back vent, and a hat to keep the rain out of my face.

Did my tri today, 400m swim/10.5 mile bike/3 mile run. I finished first in my division. My run stank but it got the job done. 11:40/miles even with numerous walk breaks. I guess that's what I get after redlining all the way on the bike. Last tri of the season so I'm back to being a runner until about February.

Anne

YP1
11-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Well done for coming first in your division.

I did my 10 mile race today, I finished in about 1:32 which wasn't too bad particularly considering it was a fairly hilly course. There were a load of running club people there, and I ended up running with a bloke who I've not seen at training (his mother's in hospital so he can't make the evening runs) but who spotted my vest and decided to pace me round, which really helped me. We went for a pub lunch and a couple of pints afterwards to celebrate. I was happy because I was the first of the group of girls I usually run with to finish. Club runs normally split into a couple of groups, and there were quite a lot of people from my group doing it, and I beat them all. Maybe I should try to run with a faster group at some point soon.

batmomm2000
11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Sarahslacker!! Not sure if you remember me from the SBD board but I just popped in here and YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!! Not sure if you're still on that board or not. I went from there to the Sonoma to now eating healthy w/sonoma principles and lots of running. I wish you great success in running!!

I've been running quite a bit lately and just completed my 2nd 10k, have my second 8k on Sat, then I signed up for a 10k on Thanksgiving morning, a frostbite 15k in Jan and then a half marathon in April and a half relay(hopefully, lottery system) in May. Some friends are pushing for an Oct marathon but mentally I'm just not thinking about that.

Ran a great 7.25 yesterday with the nicest man who's completed 24 marathons! Wow was it fun picking his brain:)

Lucky13
11-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Completed my Half marathon yesterday morning with an official chip time of 1:59:21.35 - faster than my previous Half in February by about 13 seconds and this course was much more difficult!! I am thrilled with my result. I am extremely sore and I have a couple of questions for you all:

1) this was my first long race running in shorts and even though i wear them regularly for my training my inner thighs are extremely chafed and raw today. I am thinking about purchasing some biker-style shorts to wear underneath for future longer runs. What do you guys think? is this the best solution for me? I prefer only to wear pants if it's ~40 degrees and below so I would rather not wear them in milder temperatures.

2) what kind of headphones do you all wear when you listen to music while running? I've seen lots of new types out there - 'marshmellow', gel types,etc...what's best??? I did a search throughout the forum to see what had been written before and it's looking like the kind I have may be ok (each ear piece has a clip to go over each ear with a central cord)...from what everyone has said earbuds may not be the way to go.

Have a great week!

AnneWonders
11-06-2006, 08:54 AM
I run with Champion compression shorts. I think you can get them at Target now. I don't even bother with running shorts on top of them. They work great to prevent thigh chafing and butt bounce--nice little gifts I have as a souvenir of obesity.

Anne

YP1
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't tend to suffer too badly from chaffing (I ran my marathon in running shorts without a problem), but I do have some lycra style shorts which I just tend to wear on their own when I wear them, without anything else over the top. When I'm running with music (which is less and less often now) I use headphones with the clips that go round the back of the ears. Well done on your HM by the way!

softballmom
11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats Anne on placing first in your division :bravo:

I ran 6.8miles Saturday, which was my longest run ever! I pushed myself a little more than I had planned due to it being my birthday and I was in great spirits.

I'm thinking about joining a running group as well, Helen. I think the accountability will definitely help for the winter months. I would also like to get tips from more experienced runners who can see my running form.

YP1
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
A photo from my 10 mile race yesterday (http://www.myeventphoto.co.uk/event/gallery_5330/index.html?show=img_0433.html)

SarahinBalance
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Anne - Great job on the tri! They'd be another goal for me if I knew how to swim and owned a bike ; )

Batmom - Of course I remember you! So proud of you that you're so close to your goal weight! Sonoma is just portion control mainly?

Emily - Awesome on your half! Unfortunately no advice when it comes to ear phones or running shorts, I just have a cheap little radio that I bought from Target, and then bought some headphones that slip over your ears.

So I met with my training group for the first time on Sat AM - We just jogged 3 miles, jogging 5 mins and walking 1 min - I'm REALLY excited though cause the group that I got hooked up with seems SO NEAT! I can't wait to start pushing myself further and further distances...

SO question for ya'll - Do you think that spin class is too intense a cross training class when you're trying to train for a half? The book that Galloway wrote says it zaps too much from the legs...

Lucky13
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all of your support and advice!

I'll post some pics soon they should be up by Nov. 8 - maybe you can see my chapped up leg in them - lol!

I used some 'localized pain therapy' to help out my nagging knee and sore calves by having my thighs so tender - ha ha!

I think i will go ahead and get some bikter style shorts and try running in them this week. If they work well I'll be able to use them in long runs if it's warm enough.

BTW - great job on your tri Anne

Congrats on your race Helen - what a lovely runner's club vest you have!

batmomm2000
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
hey Lucky-have you considered a running skirt? New Balance makes them with compression shorts underneath or places like runningskirt.com make them with little briefs underneath. There's nothing to bunch up between your legs and they're really cute...not cheap but cute.

Great time btw!! Can't wait to do my first half but I don't expect nearly your results, lol.

YP1
11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I did about 5.5 miles of fartlek and hills with running club tonight, just what I need after a hilly 10 mile race yesterday! At the moment I'm pondering which group to run with. I'm pretty much between the slow and medium groups, if I go with the slow group I tend to be at the front (except I don't know where I'm going so have to hold back and run a bit slower than I'd like) but if I go with the medium group I sometimes struggle to keep up. At the moment I tend to go out with the slow group, run the second leg with the medium group and then finish off with the slow group again (we tend to stop every mile or two for everyone to catch up), I'd love to be able to keep up with the middle group but I'm not sure it's happening just yet. Although today I was following them up a hill and just tagged along the back, not realising they were taking a detour to make it a slightly longer route to the next meetup spot - everyone else behind me went the shorter way but I just about managed to keep up with them until we regrouped.

batmomm2000
11-06-2006, 05:53 PM
hey Sarah-Sonoma is def portion control but moreso it is like the mediterranean plans, lots of whole foods, nothing processed, fish, lean meats, veggies, basically common sense good foods but there is the portion part of how much fo your plate should be filled w/each food group.

Lucky13
11-06-2006, 07:01 PM
batmomm - no i haven't thought about a running skirt but i don't think that will help me all that much - my thighs are large so they rub together when i run anyway (inner thigh fat just won't go away) and you are right - they are definitely not cheap!

Thanks for the idea though! I think they look cute on small girls but just not on me :)

AnneWonders
11-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Emily, I'm with you on that one. In fact I can't even wear the short compression shorts--I need at least 7 inch shorts and 9 is better. You look like a small girl in your picture BTW!

Helen, WTG with the medium group!!

Anne

Lucky13
11-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Anne

I'm not huge but all the pics from the website showed these little cheerleader type girls (with really muscular legs) wearing the skirts and no fat on their legs anywhere!

funny - i saw a girl wearing one at the Half on Saturday and i wondered why she was wearing a tennis skirt to a race - lol :lol3: :lol3: - shows how much i know about fashion :rofl:

Ran a quick 3-miler this morning - trying to get out my soreness...this is my '****' week :devil: - lots of miles this week before tapering. We'll see how it goes.

AnneWonders
11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Four miles this morning, 2+2. It was a good run, on the tough side, but doable. Skipped a meeting this morning at work to get it in, but I think it was well worth it.

Anne

SarahinBalance
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Did Body Pump this AM - Anyone ever tried it? Gold's Gym offers it and it is the best total body workout EVER! Just love it!

Running this afternoon - We were supposed to get our training schedules from Galloway yesterday and I'm not sure where it's at... so I guess I'll just do as much as feels good.

Happy Running chicks!

UPDATE: Did 4.5 miles tonight, felt good but was really tough the first half

YP1
11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I did 7 fairly hilly miles with running club this evening. It felt like another good run and I definitely seem to be getting faster again now I've finished marathon training. I'm not as fast as I was in April, but I'm getting there. Each time I do seem to be getting a bit closer to the middle group. There's one girl there who I really want to be able to keep up with. Looking on the club website, her 10k PB is similar to mine, but she managed to maintain and even improve her speed while training for a marathon while I lost a lot of mine so I'm now a bit slower. Hopefully with a bit more training I can start to close the gap a bit.

SarahinBalance
11-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Did spin class this AM to cross train and I'm going to yoga tonight... funny how going to yoga is always a challenge for me, harder than going to the gym or hitting the trail - I guess cause the agressive or fast paced things are easy but it's so hard to slow down? I know I need the chill time yoga affords so I gotta do a combo of all of it...

Lucky13
11-09-2006, 09:07 AM
6 miles last night - was supposed to be more like 8 or so but my left calf was bothering me...not real happy about that...i may skip out on my long run this weekend so that it can heal...

Lucky13
11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
My Half pictures are up:

hopefully this link will take you right to it. I definitely look like I'm an 'unhappy camper' but that's just my 'race face' - lol

http://orders.racephotonetwork.com/QPPlus/Proofs.aspx

If not, click on the link below, click on '2006 The Half' and type in my bib number (2429).

www.sportphoto.com

MissDee
11-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Hello, all. I introduced myself over in the maintainers group the other day, and wanted to stop in here. I started running last April. In July I ran a 10 K, in September, a ten miler, and about a week and a half ago, a half marathon. Now I'm surviving my first Michigan winter as a runner. Yesterday I wasted probably the last pretty day of the year on the treadmill at the gym!

Here is me finishing my ten miler in September:

http://www.skipix.com/imagebig.php3?event=Bridge_Run_06_10_M_Finish_5&id=PJS_0793.jpg&position=10&total=78

And here are my half marathon pics:

http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=220&EVENTID=15639&PWD=&BIB=1511

My plan for winter is to repeat the first six weeks of Hal Higdon's marathon plan twice. Then in spring I will begin training for a 25K. I like having a training plan. Keeps me on track :)

Dee

AnneWonders
11-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi MissDee, welcome out of lurkdom! You look awesome!

Three for me this morning. I had one unscheduled walk break at two miles, since my legs are so @#$%ing sore from a strength workout Tuesday p.m. The good news is that after the walk break, the run didn't degenerate into a shuffle, walk, shuffle, walk sufferfest. I just ran the other mile home. Progress, progress.

I have a 9 miler on Sunday. Longest run since my marathon in Jan 05. Plan is 3/3/2/1. We'll see how it goes.

Anne

Vanessa_40
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi Ladies,
Congradulations on your races. I have a 10k tomorrow and the weather is going to be great :)

Vanessa

batmomm2000
11-11-2006, 08:07 AM
off to my 8k in a few...Kinda weird that i"m more anxious about this one than the 10k 2 weeks ago but this is the anniversary of my "first" race. I ran/walked this one last year in 1:00:02, that's right a full hour to do 4.96 miles so there's no doubt that I'll beat that. But my partner relly is pushing us to get some crazy times, we'll see. The puppy is giving me the eye so I'm off but GL to all and I'll see ya when I get back

oh ya and I got reace fever and signed for the 30th anniversary Richmond MARATHON for 2007!!!!!!

batmomm2000
11-11-2006, 08:07 AM
good luck Vanessa!!

AnneWonders
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I got my 9 miles in this morning, exactly on plan. Finished in just under 2 hrs, not breaking any speed records, but it wasn't so awful either. I'm hungry and tired, but otherwise feel great.

Anne

AmberD
11-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi guys!

I'm an aspiring runner! I finished my first marathon at the end of October (6hrs 18 min 19 sec, so I am by no means a speed demon).

I got a bit of the racing bug and have signed up for two 5ks and a half (next September!)

My problem is, its cold outside and I have been having problems motivating myself to run!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU ON YOUR RACES

AnneWonders
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Amber, since I hate the treadmill with a passion, I will sometimes get myself new winter running stuff, new tights, gloves, jacket etc to motivate myself for cold runs. Works wonders.

Anne

SarahinBalance
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Mornin' ladies - Did 4 miles on Saturday, weights class, eliptical yesterday, spin this AM - Only supposed to run 3 times a week according to Galloways program - Signing up for the Turkey Trot which is a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving -

Happy Monday!

Ilene
11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Boy, my BAD, I haven't posted on this thread yet this month!! I have been running but only on the dreadmill because of time and life getting in the way. I haven't run with the gals in about 5 weeks, I miss them a lot...

Congrats to all our racers and welcome to the newbies :wave:

SarahinBalance
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Was not feeling good this AM, but went ahead and did 4.5 miles anyways. Felt good while I was doing it but dragging afterwards.

AmberD
11-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Do you guys run the whole distance? Or do you do walk?

I've always done a 3:1 run:walk ratio. I'm trying to work up to running for 30 minutes straight

AnneWonders
11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Amber, I usually try to have a run/walk plan for my run and stick to it. Doesn't always work out that way. I'm up to running about 3 miles at a shot without a walk break. Even in longer races I still will walk at least through aid stations to get fluids down.

However, today I ran 3 miles, perfectly nice flat course, but it was sort of hot, about 80F and I didn't have water. Pretty much fell apart at the halfway mark and walked about half of the way back in quarter mile on/off chunks.

Anne

SarahinBalance
11-16-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm doing Galloway's program which suggests that you do intervals. When I run with the group I do 5 mins jogging, 1 min walking. Last Saturday I missed the group run and did it on my own. Did 4 miles with the 5/1 intervals and my time was EXACTLY the same as it would have been had I jogged the whole way. I could tell I was able to run faster with the breaks in between.

WindyCityChick
11-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Greetings to the Coolrunners! I am relatively new to this site, and have recently taken up running - I'm about half way through the C25K program and am loving it. Never thought I'd be a runner, but lo and behold.

Anyway, the reason for my post is to share my joy in my latest toy. I've been "guess"-timating my mileage and speed so far, and decided this week to treat myself to the Nike+Ipod system. Today was the first outing, and I was happy to learn that I'm covering more ground than I thought, and am going a bit faster than I thought as well (although I'm still not going to win any speed records).

It is really a pretty nifty setup - you just put the sensor in your shoe and use the menu functions on the ipod to indicate the start and end of your run. When you get home, you plug the ipod into your computer and it automatically downloads the details of the run. You can also set goals and it will track your progress, or you can log miles as part of group challenges - I haven't really done either yet, but the Nike website can show you how this all works. All in all, I give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. Of course, you have to have an ipod nano to use it, but if you do, the additional price of the system is very reasonable, only $30.

SarahinBalance
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Did a slow 3 miles with my mom last night - Every Thursday we get together to jog, and I'd like to go a little further/faster but just think it's so cool that that's something we can do together. Taking today off as we are doing our "long run" tomorrow - 5 miler

Also signed up for the "Turkety Trot" on Thanksgiving with is a 5 mile race - Should be fun!

SarahinBalance
11-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Did 5 this morning - Feel like I'm cheating almost though because I'm running 5 mins and walking one - Not cheating necessarily but can't really say "I ran 5 miles"... thoughts?

AnneWonders
11-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Three miles for me this morning. With the baby jogger and I managed it in 36 minutes! I'm feeling stronger and stronger.

Sarah, there is no cheating. Do what is right for you and your program. There is nothing wrong with throwing some walking into a running session, and especially if you are run/walking a planned pattern, you are getting the training you need from that.

Anne

Ilene
11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
I ran the threadmill today...5K

Sarah, do what works for you... eventually you will run non-stop :yes:

ennay
11-19-2006, 09:19 PM
What do you guys wear when running in the rain? The rainy season started with a vengeance here in Oregon, and I'm kind of stymied about what to wear so I can keep running outside. I hate wearing too much because I get really hot and sweaty when I run. But I don't want to get soaking wet from the rain either. Suggestions?

Hi Sheila - I'm from Oregon too.

I ran this morning in a drifit shirt and an unlined waterproof jacket and light loose fitting running pants. About 2 miles in I took off the jacket and tied it around my waist. At that point, once you are warm, the rain starts to feel good (the dousing I got from a truck hitting a puddle hard....not so good). The most important rain item is a baseball hat. If you keep the rain out of your eyes, then getting wet isnt that big a deal. The dri fit stuff you dont even feel like you are getting wet. I'm just a wimp until I warm up.

Just dont wear cotton

Anyway I was coming over here to introduce myself..new to the forums, avid running, currently very overweight post baby.

Ran 7 this morning, which is one of my favorite loops, was very excited to get back to that distance, haven't been able to run it since 1st trimester so it was a real treat!

ennay
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Sarah - running 5 walking 1 is the method prescribed by Jeff Galloway for even experienced and fast marathon runners. It counts all the way.

ennay
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
4 this morning. Endurance is coming back nicely but boy am I slow, I think I might start speed work this week.

SarahinBalance
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks ladies - Yeah it's like you said Ilene "someday I'll be able to run non-stop" and that's the thing - I CAN run 5 miles non-stop, but the program 'prescribes' the 5/1 ratio. Oh well, I think atleast in training for my first half that it's probably the way to go. When I run the actually half, I don't have to to do walk breaks and may just walk walk through the water stops or something.

Did 4 this AM and it felt SO good. I just love running.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sarah

YP1
11-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Just over 10k tonight with my running club, a couple of minutes faster than when I first did that route last month (although we did it in reverse today). I only ran 3 miles this week because I was on holiday and decided the best thing for me would be almost total rest - I've been pushing myself far too hard recently. I've got a 10k race at the weekend, I don't expect a PB, but hopefully a semi-decent run without any walk breaks will give me back some confidence.

srmb60
11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
My combination walk/jog got me up over 4 mph this morning. Thanks mostly to "I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth.
I'm pretty happy about that!

Sheila53
11-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, ennay. And welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I was able to run outside on Saturday because there was a break in the weather, which was nice. I get tired of the treadmill.

Is drifit a brand or just a type of shirt that keeps you warm when wet? Any suggestions on where to find them?

ennay
11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, ennay. And welcome to a fellow Oregonian. I was able to run outside on Saturday because there was a break in the weather, which was nice. I get tired of the treadmill.

Is drifit a brand or just a type of shirt that keeps you warm when wet? Any suggestions on where to find them?

Wouldnt you know it, Saturday was my scheduled rest day and Sunday was my long run DOH!

By dri-fit I mean any "technical" running shirt made of highly wicking material. dri-fit is one trademark but if you go to any running store you can find some. Just avoid cotton like the plague Dri-fit wont collect the water and dries quickly. It will also breathe even while wet so you dont get sloggy feeling.

Hey I am doing the turkey trot at the zoo on thursday - last minute decision, I am still killer slow, but I want to see where I am. I'm really happy with being back this far so quick after baby. Last time I think it took me 6 months to even get out the door.

I wont run on a treadmill period. I need the outdoors, so I will go in any weather except hail, lightning or ice. Once you get used to it, running in the rain is pretty pleasant. It sure beats running in heat.

Sweater Girl
11-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi ladies,

I ran almost 10K on Sunday, but the route I chose was just a little short, but that's okay, I haven't run that far since my half marathon last October. Anyway we did a 5.5K steady tonight and it was great! My last two runs have been fantastic and I feel that I am getting into the groove of running again!!

Cheers!

Ali

AnneWonders
11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Ali! Welcome back! Sounds like a great run. How goes it with the little one?

Anne

ennay
11-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Make me go running....make me go running...

Baby was up way more than usual last night , its 5:45 am, earlier than I would want for sure. All I want to do is snuggle back in bed.

AnneWonders
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
ennay, sometimes the best thing you can do for your fitness, when there is a baby in the house anyway, is get some sleep. Sometimes it is tough to make the call. How old is your baby? Mine is now 14 months, so we are getting a lot more sleep these days, with the occasional rough night. We're 5 a.m. people anyway so the early waking isn't too bad. DH has taken to getting up at 4 these days to get his runs in before work!! I usually go after he leaves with her for day care.

Four miles for me this morning. One scheduled walk break. Felt pretty good, first half was easy even, 2nd half moderate. Pace was pretty wimpy at about 12:30/mile. I should be happy with that after the world's worst swim yesterday. I don't think I'm recovering as well as I used to. Tomorrow is the Turkey Trot. The only race I've never missed since I started running (was pregnant through all the rest), although last year I did the 1.5 mile in about 30 minutes! I suppose that wasn't so bad for being 8 weeks post-partum, although I felt so demoralized at the time.

Anne

ennay
11-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I am a morning person too, I always get up to get my runs in before dh leaves for work, although its tougher in the winter. Its just this morning the baby woke up at 2 AND 5 am so I nursed him first. He had been getting up at 3 and 7 which meant I could run first if I made it out the door by 5:30ish . I actually was running later than I intended to, but I got up earlier. I am getting so much more sleep with him than I got with his sister for a year so i am not complaining. But it was cold and dark and rainy out.

He was 7 weeks old yesterday. :D

I am feeling the effects of the new diet on my running, going to wait one more week and see how my weight is responding and maybe increase calories slightly

AnneWonders
11-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Wow! 7 weeks. I almost don't even remember that because I was so exhausted! Get lots of rest!

Anne

YP1
11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I had a 3 mile time trial at running club tonight, I finished in just over 24 minutes which was actually a bit faster than I was expecting (although I think the route was just short of 3 miles - 2.85 according to an internet route mapping thingy, 2.95 according to another person's Garmin). Hopefully that bodes well for my 10k on Sunday on a flatter route.

AnneWonders
11-23-2006, 02:27 PM
5K for me this morning, the Tucson Cross Country Classic, running on grass and complete with hills, jumps, water hazards (which I completely stepped in). Did it in just a smidge over 40 minutes, which sounds sort of terrible, but I'm always slow on this course. Now, not to let this serve as my ticket for eating all day.

Good luck on your 10K Helen. It just sounds so fast to me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Anne

ennay
11-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Turkey Trot here, 4 miles.

Oh....my....god.... That was the hilliest race I have ever done. I ended up walking a lot, but still pretty happy. 43:00 - still a good bit off my prepreggo pace, but considering the hills, not too bad.

Bring on the turkey

SarahinBalance
11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Turkey Trot 5 miler on Thursday, 6 miles today... that's about all, just focusing on my eating so that I don't gain over the holidays...

YP1
11-26-2006, 03:16 AM
I've got a 10k race today. It's the first time I'll actually repeat a race I did last year, so if I run slower than last year I won't be happy! My preparation yesterday wasn't ideal though, I was out of the house from 7am until after 11pm.

ennay
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Good luck Helen!

Waking up slowly this morning, another rainy cold day here in Oregon, time to prepare for my 7miler. I know from last week I need to eat more before I go.

ennay
11-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Back! Did good today and felt good
Total for week 20.8

YP1
11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
The 10k was good. It was actually the first time I've run all the way in a race since April :o (mainly because I've been doing longer races since then), and I finished in about 52 minutes. I forgot to stop the watch at the end and can't remember what the clock said (I wasn't looking because it took so long to get over the start I knew it would be way out). I'll have to wait for my chip time tomorrow.

After my marathon I knew I'd slowed down, and I was expecting to run it in about 54 - 55 minutes (my PB is 47:44), so I'm really pleased to have gone a bit faster than I was expecting.

SarahinBalance
11-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Helen you are such an inspiration to me! It's amazing you fast your times are.

AnneWonders
11-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Congrats on your 10K Helen. Ennay, good job on your 7 miler.

I did 10 miles today, and it was a rough run! I am so wiped out. Running pace was about 12min/mile and I had 3 scheduled walk breaks, which I took. I needed them. I tried some Clif Bloks and let's just say that is another thing I shouldn't be consuming on the run--I guess I'll be sticking with gels. I also got some massive chafing on my collar-bones of all places, so one more place for BodyGlide. These are the kinds of runs that are discouraging, but I keep telling myself that these are the runs where I get the most training effect.

I'm only running twice next week, a 4 miler on Thursday and a 7 miler on Sunday. The 7 mile run has no scheduled walk breaks, so we'll just have to see how I do. I'm scheduled to bike twice though and I just got a new mountain bike, so I'm pretty excited about getting it properly broken in this week.

Anne

YP1
11-26-2006, 05:05 PM
I get chafing on my collar bones too Anne - I guess they stick out too much now! It was the only place I got anything (including my feet) when I ran the marathon.

ennay
11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
I, on the other hand, chafe everywhere--I need one of those sunless tanner spray booths loaded up with b.g. because it keeps moving

And dont you just love when you dont notice the chafe til you hit the shower? :devil:

Ilene
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I fianlly ran outside today 6.2k, it was hard and I was slow :shrug:... but I really enjoyed it, it had been about 6 weeks since the last time I ran outside... Because of "life getting in the way" reasons/excuses I was running the dreadmill...

Bravo girls on your runs and races, you certainly inspire me to continue...

AnneWonders
11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
And dont you just love when you dont notice the chafe til you hit the shower? :devil:

Yeah, that is pretty much the worst. DH one time just started screaming, and that was it. We go through a lot of BG around here.

Good for you for getting out Ilene. I've been wondering where you've been.

Anne

redsoxgirl
11-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey runners...I have a question about upping mileage. I usually run 4-5 miles 3 times per week, but I signed up for a half marathon (why????) The longest race I have done is a 10k, so I'm wondering if there is a certain training program someone could suggest to get me prepared for the half.

I do a lot of others types of workouts during the week so I don't want to increase the number of days I run, I think if I do that I would start to look at it as a chore instead of enjoying it. I'm just looking for some guidelines that would help me get to where I need to be to do the half without dropping on the course :)

The race isn't until June so I have some time. If anyone has a website or something I'd appreciate it. Thanks

AnneWonders
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
There are decent training plans at runnersworld.com and coolrunning.com. I do most of my long distance racing on 3-4 runs per week, with a decent amount of crosstraining (biking, swimming, strength training). Just make sure they are quality runs (speedwork, tempo, long run) and not 'junk' miles.

I'm also pretty slow, and to get faster one of the things most recommended is more mileage. So I'd say you can do it if your goal is to finish rather than finish in a specific time (unless you are just naturally talented).

Anne

ennay
11-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Snow....I got up to run this morning and there was snow. It doesnt snow here, especially not in November.

SarahinBalance
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey redsoxgirl - Your story sounds almost exactly like mine, The longest I had done was a 10K and then signed up for a half... on a local running web site they advertised the Galloway program which incorporates scheduled walk breaks into the running so that you recover better and it does less strain on your body... If there's a local running web site they might have something similar

YP1
11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
A hilly 6.1 miles with running club today, just what I fancied after yesterday's race! I'm not a huge fan of running with the club the day after races, but this time of year I make the effort to avoid having to run in the dark on my own. I did go a fair bit slower than normal!

I got the placings through for the race, I finished in the top half of the field overall, and 349/1599 for women, which is just outside the top 20%. I'm pretty happy with that :)

ennay
11-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Awesome race Helen! Someday I would love to finish in the top 20% .

Lol, I did figure out this summer while racing preggo, that if you do the short race in an event set (like the 5K of a 5K/10K event) you have a better chance of placing - all the fast people do the long event :) I almost always do the long event though.

So I went to the only gym in town today, I need to start lifting and I just dont seem to be able to get the dust off my weights. With everything I only had about 30 minutes to workout and since I didnt run this morning I decided to break my cardinal gym rule and run on the tread. (My philosophy is if I am at the gym I should Xtrain since I run plenty) Well about 5 minutes in the city loses power. So I switched over to an exercise bike since they were self power generating and still had displays. First bike ride since LAST August--yikes.

Guess the exercise gods were trying to hold me to my "no treadmill" promises.

So...is it worth $60/month (with childcare) to have a gym membership at a not so great gym? $70/month in the summer when my daughter isnt in school. I could join a better gym for less, but I only have the short time dd is in preschool to workout and its about a 35 minute drive.

MissDee
11-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I figure what I spend at the gym, I'm saving in hospital bills and medications. My grandmother died at the age of 47, and my brother had a heart attack at 40! I'm sure I'd have had a bypass in my future, the way I was going. Even with insurance, surgery is expensive! That's how I rationalize it, anyway.

Rationalizing new clothes is harder for me. Not impossible, just harder ;)

AnneWonders
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Ennay, if you have the space, you could always spend a couple months gym fees, buy yourself a decent set of weights and save the commute. Time and money.

Woo-hoo, Helen!

Anne

ennay
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I have TONS of weights at home. The problem is childcare. I get up early to run but to run AND lift before dh leaves for work I would need to get up at 4. Not gonna happen, especially since the baby refuses to go to bed before 10:30. I need a place to leave my child while I work out.

Anyway, went today. Its not a terrible gym, its just small and doesnt have a pool. I am shocked that it is as expensive as the big fancy brand new gym, but hey, when you are the only game in town you can be steep.

BTW Kudos to anyone who manages cardio at a gym or on a treadmill, I ran for awhile after I finished lifting today and after 10 minutes I was clockwatching.

Ilene
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Ennay -- I was strictly an outside runner till October or so when I had to go inside because of time and scheduling... The dreadmills ( that's what I call 'em ) at the gym each have a TV monitor and I always make sure that I go on them when a good program will be on... If there are no TVs at your gym try a MP3 or iPod with music, or books on tape, to pass the time away... I also do intervals and play mind games, do one minute runs all out, then walk for a minute, or hills the same way... Hope this helps...

Today I did only 2 miles on the dreadmill, for some reason my monitor konked out, so I step on another dreadmill and the TV monitor konks out on that one too :faint: ... so I threw in the towel after that :tantrum:...

SarahinBalance
11-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Yep did 45 mins on the dreadmill tonight. Jogged 5/1s cause my goal is to run a 10 min average mile in the half... Coach tells me I need to average a 9:30 to accomodate for walk breaks so I'm working on training at that pace... not fast by any stretch but fast for me ;)

ennay
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
9.5's are fast for me.

It will be good motivation, either I get up at 5 or I have to dreadmill....That will get my butt up.

SarahinBalance
11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Ennay - 12 min miles would be fast for me if I had just had a baby ;)

We too havee TVs at our gym and if you bring a portable radio you can tune into whatever frequency is on the TV... although I'm entertained enough just by listening to the radio (if nothing good is on). It's also fun to switch it up increase pace for a couple then increase incline for a couple... maybe fun isn't the right word but engaging

ennay
11-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I used to run at the gym occasionally and do my speedwork then, either intervals or usually a progression (take workout time after warmup, divide it in to 3-5 minute segments, start a little bit below your steady state pace, bump up the speed 0.1 each segment. Usually I put my steady state pace in the middle segment.

ooops someone is awake.

I was going to do 5 miles today with speedwork, but I think I am sick. damn.

YP1
11-29-2006, 05:40 PM
5.5 miles with running club tonight. I really didn't want to go out, but I'm glad I did :)

My next planned run is speedwork on the treadmill though, not looking forward to that one :(

SarahinBalance
11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Always works that way (most of the time atleast)... The days we really don't want to get out there are the days we really need to....

ennay
11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
omg did my first postbaby intervals at the track....slower than slow. The first 3 400's were slower than when I was 30 weeks preggo.

AnneWonders
11-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Four miles tonight. Not so bad, pace was pretty good, and I don't feel too hammered, except my side is bothering me from the fossilized side stitch from last weekend.

I'm usually a morning runner, but DD had a little puking incident this morning, so I had to work with what the day brought. Good run. It was cold here though! Below 40. I have to go get a shower and get my body temp back in the 90s were it belongs.

Anne

YP1
12-01-2006, 04:45 AM
30 minutes :tread: intervals this morning. I'm definitely getting some of my pre-marathon speed back, and it was the best speed session I've done for a while. I'm determined to get faster again because the "fast girl" at running club set a new 10k PB on Sunday - which is still slower than my PB from April (even though it's faster than my time in the race on Sunday), so I know that I can keep up with her, it's just a case of doing the training to get back there.

SarahinBalance
12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Anne - It's weird how those side stitches can linger

Helen - that is awesome! You are truly amazing to me and I think it's unbelievable how far you've come.

Still shaking off this cold. Do you ladies have any advice about running with a cough cause I'm fine WHILE I'm running but have a 15 min coughing fit AFTER. Haven't run since Tuesday.... Thoughts?

(Guess we need to start a new thread since it's December?)

MissDee
12-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Helen, you're clearly enjoying your running club. I'm considering one. My easy runs are as much as 10 minutes, and I can pull out an occasional 8 minute mile. I'm also not looking for a young social life - I'm a happily middle aged housewife. Would I be hopelessly out of place in a running club?

ennay
12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
MissDee, not most running clubs, they vary a lot in "eliteism", but usually are very frindly and actually tend more to the 30& up crowd around here

Ilene
12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Helen, you're clearly enjoying your running club. I'm considering one. My easy runs are as much as 10 minutes, and I can pull out an occasional 8 minute mile. I'm also not looking for a young social life - I'm a happily middle aged housewife. Would I be hopelessly out of place in a running club?
Most running clubs I've seen have a variety of ages from 20ish to 60ish and the camaraderie is always excellent... I run with a group of 15 women and we vary between those ages too and have a excellent time...