Alternachicks - Holiday challenge (9weeks)

View Full Version : Holiday challenge (9weeks)

mauvaisroux
11-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Just thought I would start up a new challenge for the holidays. :tree:

The challenge will start November 1 and run through to December 31st.
This will give us 9 weeks to lose, maintain, or limit holiday festivity gain - you choose your own goals.

On top of you own personal goals I challenge everyone who participates to:

1. Try one new healthy recipe in November and to share the recipe with us. :chef:

2. Face your Thanksgiving dinner armed with a plan to eat healthy. :turkey:

3. Find some healthy Christmas:clause: ,Yule :wreath: or Hannukah :han: recipes you can prepare for your celebrations.

4. Share your tips with us on how you stay on plan during the holidays. :write:

Good luck to all of you! :lucky:

mauvaisroux
11-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Okay . . .

For the month of November:

1. I will continue to attend dance class once per week and pratice yoga at home twice a week.

2. I will plan to eat healthy while in California this month and try to stick to vegetarian meals as much as possible.

3. I will not consume all of the leftover Halloween candy! :D

4. I will try out a new recipe and post it if it is good. :chef:

5. I would like to lose 5 lbs by December 15 - DH's office party.

Cogmom
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I will take it and do my best to stay on track, God know I need it and He will see me through it!!!
I will exercise 5 days a week and stay on my veggies mostly only adding meat here and there and only eat little amounts on Thanksgiving day and stay out of the kitchen...will share a recipe or two and see what happens
Cynthia

:carrot: Yeah Im down to 164 1/2 now...slowly coming off

Sojourner
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok my first goal is to lose at least 9 pounds by Jan 1 which would put me at 165 by New Year's Day.

My second goal is to intentionally exercise at least 1,830 minutes by Jan 1... this averages out to 30 minutes a day for 61 days.

Come on chickies... WE CAN DO IT!

:dance:

ajandpj99
11-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I have 10 lbs to lose to meet my original goal weight - this will put me in a size 12 jeans (hey I am 5' 10" and a 12 is skinny for me) anyway...

To achieve my goal I will wear my pack every day (with at least 30lbs in it) when I walk my horse for a minimum of 30 mins every day - more is better. I must sweat and breath hard for that time to count. :D

My buddies and I are reducing our evening hikes (due to darkness) to 1 day a week on either Fri, Sat or Sun (Skipping this weekend) these hikes will be 35-40 lb pack (includes lunch packed) they will be at least 2 hrs hiking into a picnic spot, an hour break for lunch and then however long it takes to hike out. This will be my weekly intensified training day.

I must drink more water - it is so hard to do when not hot.

To keep me from over doing it on the upcoming days of non stop eating - I will make sure that I eat my normal foods regularly to prevent the binging effects of the holidays. I wont allow myself to get hungry.

New recipes are tough for me - but I will think about it.

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 10:24 AM
aj- no pressure on the recipes! :lol: I just thought it might be a fun thing to do. :D

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Argh! Not only am I facing leftover candy but one of our clients brought me in a box of chocolates as a thank you gift. I have opened them to share with my office mates.

Tonight I am having curried veggies with couscous for supper so I'm getting started. :cb:

Sojourner
11-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Mauv go check out the Thai Curry Soup recipe I posted in the recipe section... it is SO good!

mauvaisroux
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks Sojo! It looks really good and I love Thai flavours. :)

Sojourner
11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Well since New Year's Day is a Monday, I am going to weigh in on Mondays. With a challenge starting weight of 174... today's weight is 172.5... down 1.5 pounds!

mauvaisroux
11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Great idea sojo! I think I will do that too! :goodscale

Apple Blossom
11-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Count me in.....6 pounds by New Years! Weigh In on Mondays, see you then!
I don't have a "plan" right now. I'm waiting for my new jogging stroller to arrive (where areyou??!!) so I can start jogging again. Right now I've been doing a decent job dieting, but very little exercise. I can never seem to do both at the same time!!

ajandpj99
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Beings good old AF has been coming so close to the first - I am going to re weigh myself on the 13th (since you all are doing the monday deal) and see if there was any water weight to undo.

And beings my activity is far less - no sun and lots of rain - and this is the home stretch - I should do a weekly WI to keep me focused.

Hopefully we are going to do a really long uphill hike this weekend - in the rain - should be interesting - dont know for sure yet - I can go alone but wont.

Now that folks are gone I hope to get into a housework routine to supplement my lack of outdoor stuff. Yuck, housework - but whatever makes you sweat and breathe hard counts. ;)

Spideranne
11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I'd like to join in. I'm new to the forum and to be honest somewhat overwhelmed by all the different sections and threads. I was reading some of the biographys here and it seemed like a good fit.

So was 176 on Mon. Goal is 163, so 13 lbs. I've never really looked out into the future this far before in regaurds to weight so I don't have a plan. I'm just going to go week by week and try to loose a pound or two. Exercise is my weakness, hate it, so I'm going to committ to at least 4 times a week of something. I've walked the dog twice this week so I'm halfway there.

Wanttolosealot
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi girls
Im back yet again! Started TOPS last night again! This time I will stick with it even when I reach my goal and not leave thinking I ve got it figured out. I am curently 232 and hope to get down to a reasonable 165 to 170. I do not do thin! Athletic but not thin! Hope you are all doing well.
Bye the way, has anyone heard from Ellis in a while??
Chat with you all soon!
Virginia

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Hi Spideranne! So glad you found us. Yes there are many boards here and its tough to find a place to fit in, ESPECIALLY if you are an alternachick! So this is the place for all of the misfits hahahahaa!

Hi Virginia... I remember you! I just reappeared here after a very long absense myself. Ellis is hanging out in the "Chicks in Control" thread. I had to pop over and say hello to the sweetie myself. :) Welcome back and please check back often. Alternachicks is pretty quiet these days!

mauvaisroux
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Welcome Spideranne! :wave:

Hello again Wantolosealot! :D

I'm still around, die hard that I am. :lol: ellis is taking a break from acting as a moderator but is still hanging out on the boards, mostly in Chicks in Control. Ruthxxx is a South Beach Babe in the Chicks on the Beach forum and Squeaker is still here but is busy packing to move to California.

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Ok folks we are half way through another week and need to gear up for the weekend. Lets stay on target with both food and exercise and any other health goals we have so we can report in Monday with success stories!

mauvaisroux
11-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Yep! Doing okay this week and I will be researching some places to eat in near where I am staying in Anaheim to plan for next week.

Spideranne
11-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Ok. Checking in. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 2.5lbs. Yipee! I had a good week. Got in 4 days of exercise, 3 were just walking the dog, but better then nothing. Diet went well this week. I pretty much stuck to the plan except for one bag of chips leftover from a party. I have a hard time throwing food away so I tend to eat it to get it out of the house. I had a bunch on Tue. but then left the bag open so they'd get stale and I'd have to throw them away. Only good stuff made it into the grocery cart this week.

I'm going to focus on exercise this week. While walking the dog is nice, she can only last for about 20-30 minutes. We have a park about 1/2 mile away with a walking trail. I'm going to check that out this week.

So how is everyone else doing?

Sojourner
11-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Nice job Spideranne! I was pleasantly surprised at the scale this morning... down 2.5 pounds! I started this challenge at 174 and am now at 170... 4 pounds towards my goal of 9 pounds. I have also exercised 480 minutes of my goal 1,830 mins. All that exercising is paying off I guess. Gosh I am so close to breaking into the 160s. So happy!

:carrot:

mauvaisroux
11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Way to go spideranne and sojo! :cp:

I lost 1 lb this past week! :cb:
My challenge this week is to stay on track while on vacation. :)

Sojourner
11-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Down a half pound this morning... which is good news considering I am pms and I lost a lot last week. The really great news is that this puts me down into the 160's!

Spideranne
11-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Way to go Sojo. I also lost .5lb. Which I'll take considering I had a bit of a brownie binge on Sat.

squeaker
11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
:carrot: Congrats Spider & Sojo! :carrot:

mauvaisroux
11-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Well I weighed myself yesterday and only gained two lbs on my trip which I think is due mainly to being stuck eating McDonalds at the airport and some salty snacks on the plane.

I will probably be back down in the next day or two once I get back to my normal eating routine.

This evening I made our first home cooked meal since last Monday - It was wonderful! Grilled steak with mini redskin potatoes and steamed asparagus! I was getting sick of eating in restaurants.

mauvaisroux
11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Well I've lost that 2lbs I picked up over my vacation - there are some souvenirs that you just don't want to keep! :lol:

How is everyone else doing?

Spideranne
11-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, I'm down another pound for the week. Not sure exactly how that happened. My exercise is way down for the week and I gave myself the OK to enjoy Thanksgiving. I was just hoping I hadn't gained when I got on the scale. So I was soooo happy to see one less pound.

Loosing this week has really sparked the motivation. I have a week's worth of healthy meals planned and there is no reason I can't exercise every day. I have 9 lbs to go on this challange, which is a stretch goal, but for some reason I want it now more then when I set it.

Here is to a great week for everyone!!

ajandpj99
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi all - great to hear so many of you are doing so well! Congrats!

I weighed myself this morning and am maintaining at 185. Not what I hoped for but after the holiday to be the same weight is at least not a bad thing.

The only thing I can do at this point is exercise more - (I am going to have to break down and start doing house work - icky LOL) Since it does burn calories.

And that means less time on my forums - also icky - I love my total stranger friends and being able to type what I want to say so I can proof read for spelling and content. Talking live sucks. ;)

:carrot: :carrot: keep it up y'all!! Breathe Hard and Sweat everyday. :cool:

Sojourner
11-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Ten days.... ten whole days with my family who eats fried, processed, refined flour, cheesy, carbo-loaded, high-fat food every single meal. I dealt with pizza, lasagna, fried chicken, french fries, tacos, ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, wine bottles, and multiple restaurants. I even had to face two Thanksgiving meals in one day and the leftovers to follow. What a challenging, frustrating week its been! But get this...

I lost two pounds since Monday!! I am down to 167.5 as of this morning.

I just cannot believe it. I am positively, absolutely, astonished. At most I had hoped to maintain or only gain one pound. I really did not pig out all week and tried to stay on my weight watchers program even with a lot of the garbage food, although I definitely went over on a number of days. Got a little bit of exercising in with short walks. I am just so relieved to be done with this extra long holiday, even though very sad to say goodbye to my sister and her family.

So chickies, its time to regroup and attack the next five weeks full force! The New Year is not far away and we are all going to be thinner and healthier when that clock strikes midnight!

Spideranne
11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Way to go Sojo!!!!!

Sojourner
11-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks and great job everyone! So what kind of goals do you chickies have for the next five weeks? I am definitely doing another exercise challenge in December... so proud that I am just about to hit my November goal of 900 minutes! Will continue with Weight Watchers Flex Plan which is apparently really working for me. And of course, will seek out support from my friends here at 3FC.

Anyone else? What will you do in order to create a leaner, healthier you by Jan 1?

Spideranne
11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I think I'm going to try this exercise challenge thing. I've been going to the gym regularly, but I want to make sure I keep going. I just need to figure out what a respectable goal should be. And I am not going to eat any free goodies from the office unless I have figured out ahead of time the calories and can legitimately fit it in for the day.

mauvaisroux
11-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Way to go ladies! :bravo:

My plan for December:

Eat low fat vegetarian meals during the week
Watch what I am eating at social events
Get outside for some exercise

Sojourner
11-30-2006, 02:29 AM
Spideranne, they are starting a December exercise challenge on the challenge thread... join us here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159.

Spideranne
12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey everyone. It's a happy week for me. I'm down 2 lbs for the week. :woohoo:

This past week was like the utopia of healthy living for me. I planned and ate a weeks worth of healthy meals. I went to the gym 5 days in a row. There were very few food temptations at work and I resisted what was there. There were no special occasions, parties, get togethers or other events to contend with. If I could bottle this week and repeat, that would be great.

Of course, this week starts the holiday parties. I have one with hubby on Tue. night and we promised some friends to go to dinner next weekend. I did join up on that Dec. exercise challenge so I'm going to focus on making a dent on those goals (350 laps swimming and walking 20 miles).

mauvaisroux
12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Way to go spideranne! :cp:

Sojourner
12-07-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't know about you chickies... but its been a challenging first week of December for me! First of all, it is $#@%^! FREEZING outside! It is also dark by 4:30 which is SO depressing. After struggling so much over the week long Thanksgiving Holiday of Suffering and Temptation with my family, I am just tired. Thankfully I am all too aware that successful weight loss means I have to ignore how I am feeling and not rely on motivation, enthusiasm, and my emotions and just grit my teeth and do it. Well do it most of the time hahahaa! Anyway, I'm hanging in there and hoping for a more positive attitude in coming days. I just can't wait for Jan 1 to roll around... the New Year always brings with it a new burst of energy. Man will this ever become more normal and not such a challenge? Spideranne it sounds like you are kicking butt! How is everyone else doing?

mauvaisroux
12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I lost 2 lbs so far :cb: And I haven't had any Christmas goodies or chocolate yet. Since the gifts, chocolates and goodies start arriving on December 1st, I try to ignore them until the 24th and then get to enjoy our Christmas Eve Open house without guilt, have a sensible turkey dinner on Christmas day and then I am back on plan from the 26th onward.

Spideranne
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Way to go Mauv! Sounds like you have a great plan for staying on target.

mauvaisroux
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Yep -keeping my fingers crossed it works! :crossed:

Sojourner
12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Well by some holiday miracle I am down 1.5 pounds this week to 165.5. Its been a tough week so I was really, really surprised by the scale this morning.

Spideranne
12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm posting a 0 loss for the week. Given my horrible eating weekend, I'm just glad I didn't gain.

mauvaisroux
12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Way to go Sojo! :bravo:

and Spideranne, whenever that happens I rejoice that I haven't gained - so good for you too since it is one of the hardest times of the year to deal with weight gain! :cp:

I'm the same as I was last time - so no worries at this point. I signed up for my dance class which starts on January 9 and DH and I will be going back to our Bikram yoga class in early January too so I do have a plan of action for the new year.

Sigh- I'm so good with food but lousy with the exercise bit - this will force me to get my butt in gear! :lol:

Spideranne
12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, I have redeemed myself. I have lost 2 lbs for the week which takes me to 168, my first 10 lbs. This is one of my reward goals so I get to go buy some new workout gear. I have been going to the gym in baggy old t-shirts and these horrible pink knit shorts. Not that I really care how I dress for the gym, but it will be nice to have something new.

Still 5lbs away for Jan. 1. goal. With x-mas eve and day in there I think it is more realistic to aim for 2 lbs.

How is everyone else doing?

mauvaisroux
12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Way to go Spideranne! :bravo:

I'm still holding so that's a good sign. I have my plans set for the new year i.e have signed up for dance class and yoga classes. I have a week off at Christmas so I after the big day I will be cleaning out my cupboards and the fridge to get rid of anything not suitable (will donate anything good to the local Food Bank) and take some time to make up some new menus for January. :D

Spideranne
12-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Well I weighed myself first thing x-mas morning and I was down another pound. Yipee! Of course then I proceeded to eat the day away yesterday. But I'm back on track today so I'm hoping by next week I can at least maintain that loss.

Sojourner
12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone... ok December really sucked for me in general! As of this morning I am up a half pound total (of course just last week it was more than that)... so I am at 166. Considering the lack of tracking, overeating, and no exercise I am happy with the current 166! I am going to try to lose one last pound by Jan 1 so I can hit 165.

mauvaisroux
12-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Still maintaining - phew!

Spideranne
01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, wanted to do a final check in on this challenge. I ended up gaining a pound this last week. I went over my calories on quite a regular basis so this is no surprise. So ended up loosing a total of 8 lbs on the challenge, so even though didn't meet my goal, I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll see you all in the Jan. challenge.

ajandpj99
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Well I think I lost a whole pound...winter is hard for me to lose due to bad weather and less activity...however not gaining during my chocolate covered vacation is a plus!!

I am just going to focus on not gaining any weight back until spring and then work on that last 10 lbs

Keep the faith my friends...all you need is the desire and you shall have it...just maybe not as fast as you want...;)

:hug: to all my buds on here!!