Alternachicks - Yay I exercised today - November 2006

mauvaisroux
11-01-2006, 09:57 AM
New thread for the month. . .

I always find this time of year hard to exercise. I feel more like staying in when the weather is cold and wet and it is hard to get motivated to get moving. Fortunately my dance class runs through to December so I am forced to got to it. :lol:

DH and I have decided not to get each other gifts for Christmas/Yule this year and to buy ourselves year long passes to the yoga centre instead since we both enjoy going there and it is something that we can do together.

Today's exercise:

30 minute walk at lunch

Sojourner
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
15 minute walk with the dog and 50 minute spin class! My goal for November is 900 minutes so that means 65 down, 835 to go.

:ebike:

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Today's plan:

30 minute walk at lunch
30 minutes of yoga this evening

Sojourner
11-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Friday: 30 minute walk with dog
Saturday: Nothing
Sunday: 30 minutes swimming

:swim:

mauvaisroux
11-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Saturday - about 4 hours of walking around a food and wine show(my feet were killing me afterwards)

Sunday- 30 minutes of yoga

Today- 30 minute walk at lunch

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Mon: 15 min walk with dog, 50 min spin class = 65 mins
Tue: 30 min walk with dog = 30 mins
Wed: 15 min walk with dog, 50 min spin class = 65 mins
Thu: 2 30 min walks with dog = 60 mins

I so did not want to go to my spin class yesterday, but I am proud to report that I did indeed drag my large butt to the gym and rode that spin bike! Ok tomorrow I am heading to the pool instead of today. :)

:swim: :ebike: :running:

Spideranne
11-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I've done 3 days of exercise - in a row!!!
Tue: Walked the dog 20 min.
Wed: Walked the dog 20 min.
Thurs: Walked/Jogged 30 min. I tried to do intervals with jogging and walking, but after the first three my shins were on fire.

Sojourner: Swimming sounds like fun. That is the only exercise that I've ever stuck to for longer then a month. Unfortuantly I have no pool to use anymore.

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Great job Spideranne on three days of exercise! What kind of dog do you have?

Re: swimming... Yup I love the pool and swim like a fish! I have a Y membership and they have great swimming facilities.

Spideranne
11-09-2006, 08:15 PM
I have 2 English Bulldogs. One will go on walks, the other won't - he's a bit stubborn.

I'll have to look into where the nearest Y is. I do really miss swimming.

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh English bulldogs... nice! We both have doggies with smushed in faces. :) Love it. I love those little french bull dogs too... also Boston Terriers. But I do love pugs the most.

Sojourner
11-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Fri: 15 min brisk walk with dog
Sat: 30 min swim (22 laps/1100 yards)

I am already half way to my November goal of 900 minutes... and its only the 11th! So proud.

mauvaisroux
11-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Catching up:

Tuesday - 30 minute walk, 60 minutes of dance

Wednesday- 30 minute walk

Thursday - 50 minute walk

Friday - 60 minutes of walking

Saturday - 2 hours of walking

Spideranne
11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Fri - 0
Sat. - Long walk (for her) with dog, 30 min.
Sun. - nothing official, but did spend about 4 hours taking down, packing up, and hauling to the attic all my Halloween decorations. I go all out for Halloween so it is a lot. I was sweating and sometimes out of breath carring the bins up to the attic so that sort of counts as excersie to me.

Does anyone else have a hard time with exercise on the weekends? During the week if I can make it a routine to come home from work and do something I usually do. But the weekends are always so unroutine that I find I've done other stuff and haven't gotten around to exercising.

I did go and check out the local Y and fitness clubs. I have never in my life belonged because I'm a penny pincher and didn't want to waste money on something I'd probablly only use rarely. I think I've come to a point where I'm going to take it more serious so willing to spend the $. I checked out the Y - they only have an outdoor pool which is closed for the season, and it didn't look like it would be very good for laps anyways. There are three other fitness clubs in our area and only one has a pool. So now I'm between that one or the school district's natatorium. The natatorum is cheaper but has limited hours and it would only be swimming. The LA Fitness club is twice the price but would give me access to all the other stuff if I ever got tired of swimming. I'm going to try each out this week on a free pass and try to decide.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

ajandpj99
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Friday - Walked for 1.5 hrs uphill with a 35 lb pack on. Stopped to relax for 2 hrs with campfire - walked back to Truck downhill for 45 mins with same pack (slightly lighter since I used up about 4 lbs of water.)

Sojourner
11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Sun: 15 min walk with dog = 15 mins
Mon: 2 15 min walks with dog, 60 min spin class = 90 mins

Oh Spideranne that sucks that the local Y doesn't have decent swimming facilities. I know the quality can really vary depening on location. Our Y here is very nice. So what will you do? Consider the expenditure an investment in your health! Here it is essential to have a gym membership because winter lasts 5 months and at mid-season it is dark by 4:30 pm. :cry:

ajandpj99... a hike and campfire sounds lovely. :)

mauvaisroux
11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
30 minutes of yoga today :yoga:

Spideranne
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok. I did it. I signed up at the local fitness club. I got them to come $50 on the sign up fee so I'm ok with it. So to catch up.

Mon - 30 min walk/jog. Been trying to kind of follow the c25k thing but my shins hurt when I jog so it's mostly walking. I'm going to stick with it though.
Tue - 20 min swimming. Boy I haven't swum in a while. I was just doing breaststroke and I was out of breath.

Sojourner
11-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice Spideranne! So glad you found a gym you liked with a pool! I can't remember... do you have an exercise/activity goal right now like so many minutes, etc.?

:swim:

Spideranne
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
My only exercise goal currently is to exercise at least 4 times a week. I've never had a minutes goal before. In the past I usually abandon exercising and try to control weight with diet alone. I just never really liked what I was doing. I still don't particullarly like exercise, but I'm trying to shift my thinking into more of a fitness thing then a weight control thing. I hope that after I spend some time at the gym for the next few weeks I can maybe get a baseline of where I stand (they have a free fitness assessment) and then create some goals along those lines.

Sojourner
11-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok Tuesday: 15 min brisk walk with dog = 15 mins
Wednesday: 15 min brisk walk with dog, 50 min spin class = 65 mins
Thursday: 15 min brisk walk with dog, 30 min brisk walk with dog = 45 mins

Spideranne
11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Ok. Haven't checked in for a while. Lets see...

Wed: 30 min walk on treadmill
Thurs: 20 min swim
Fri and Sat - Nothing official. Spent Fri night walking around a motorcycle show with hubby and Sat was yard work.
Sun: 20 min swim
Mon: 25 min walk. I cut out 5 minutes and I shouldn't have.
Tue: 20 min swim. I upped my laps to 22, which is the swimming goal for this week.

Sojourner
11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
:cry: Oh its been a tough week... my sister and family arrived from Denver for the week and thus I have been down at my parent's house trying to fend off garbage food and sneak in some activity...

Fri: 0
Sat: 15 min walk with dog
Sun: 0
Mon: 30 min walk with dog
Tue: 15 min walk with dog
Wed: 30 min walk with dog

mauvaisroux
11-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Back from SoCal where I did tons of walking! :tread:

I was basically on my feet all day for 8 hours then when walking to restaurants and shopping during the evening.

I've got to get back to a routine next week. :yes:

flower
11-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I walked 40 minutes yesterday and today.

Spideranne
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Well the end of the week didn't go so well for me. I was off work and had all the time in the world, just didn't do much.

Wed: 0
Thurs: 30 min walk with husband
Sat: 0
Sun: 22 laps swimming, and 20 min dog walk.

Looking forward to getting back on track for the week.

Sojourner
11-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah I really sucked on the exercise front:

Thurs: 0
Sat: 0 (although I did go shopping and walked for about 3 hours)
Sun: 15 min dog walk

flower
11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
walked 45 minutes today.

mauvaisroux
11-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Monday: 30 minute walk at lunch
Tuesday: 30 minute walk at lunch
Wednesday: 30 minute walk at lunch

Spideranne
11-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Mon. - 22 laps swimming
Tue. - 30 min walking

Sojourner
11-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Well... I DID IT! I met my goal of intentionally exercising 900 minutes during the month of November! So proud and with a day to spare. This week so far:

Mon: 15 min brisk walk with dog, 50 min spin class = 65 mins
Tues: 0
Wed: 15 min brisk walk with dog, 50 min spin class = 65 mins

mauvaisroux
11-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Way to go Sojo! :cp:

and congratualions to everyone who exercised this month! :bravo:

Spideranne
11-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Congrats Sojo!

Wed: 22 laps swimming - I seem to be improving my time slightly so I'm going to add more laps next week.
Today: - Ok, my gym offered a free one hour session with a trainer when you signed up and my appointment is today after work. I'm a little bit nervous:?: , I guess because I feel intimidated by the idea of a "trainer". I sort of associate them as the "popular" people of the gym and I've never been one for associating with the popular crowd. The intelligent part of my brain knows that they are there to help and generally care about peoples fitness but the irrational part of my brain assumes that they are laughing at me behind my back. But, I'm going to go meet this guy and have an open mind to what he says and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Spideranne
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Thurs: 30 minutes of upper body weights.

Ok, so I had a training session with one of the gym's trainers. He took me through about a 30 minute upper body training on the machines. The other half hour of the session consisted of them taking a body fat measurement, Uggh, not a pretty number, but pretty much what I expected it to be, and then 25 minutes of trying to get me to sign up for their various training plans. He pitched the deals hard, but I just can't justify that kind of money.
For right now I just need to focus on making exercise a habit. I do think I'll eventually add some weight training in. He made the point that adding 1 lb of lean muscle to your body burns about 50 cal a day doing nothing. So there is some motivation to do the strength training. And now I'm rambling....

Sojourner
12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah those 50 calories really add up. All other things equal, that would amount to burning off 5.2 pounds in a year! Or the other way, eating an extra 50 calories a day for a year would cause you to GAIN 5.2 pounds! Amazing how little it takes over time.

BTW Spideranne... you are doing great with the exercise. What size pool are you swimming in?

Spideranne
12-01-2006, 05:02 PM
It is a 25 meter pool. I usually do 8 laps of breaststroke for 200 m and right now I'm at 14 laps / 350 meters of freestyle. I'm trying to add 2 laps of freestyle a week and right now I still have to rest between every three or four laps to catch my breath.

Sojo - Are you still swimming? Do you have any kind of a program that you follow?

mauvaisroux
12-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Guess we should start a new thread for the month.

I'll close this one and get a new one going. :)