Alternachicks - Alternachick chat November 2006

View Full Version : Alternachick chat November 2006

mauvaisroux
11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Good morning chickies! :coffee2:

Hope everyone had a great Halloween/Samhain last night!

We had about 15 kids come around which isn't bad considering that our street is only 2 blocks long with not that many house. :)

Unfortunately my boss brought in his leftover candy so evertime I go into the coffee room there is a ton of chocolate staring me in the face. :p I will resist!

So I guess the next thing that some of us are gearing up for is American Thanksgiving. When is it this year?

Sojourner
11-01-2006, 12:45 PM
US Thanksgiving holiday is November 23-24 this year. I am very happy because my sister and her family who live in Denver are coming home for the week!

lizziness
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I can't even believe we're in November. sigh.
I didn't have a single trick or treater it was sad. and we have almost devoured all the candy... i told my hubby not to get any but he insisted. we stayed home and watched Shaun of the Dead again. Love that movie.

I'm having my aunt uncle and cousin for Thanksgiving this year and DH is going to be with his family. We're already discussing Christmas plans. I can't wait to have my own place so we can decorate and have our own christmas. Then we can celebrate his family... from afar. :)

Sojourner
11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Oh I made Halloween very easy this year. No candy. Locked door. Lights out. No problem!

mauvaisroux
11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
I love Shaun of the Dead too - hysterical film! :D

Gorgeous fall day again today! I can see all the lovely fall colours from my office window. :)

ajandpj99
11-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi all - still lurking about - super busy - been keeping up with the goals mainly.

Great to see some new and returning faces.

Gotta run the parents are coming.

mauvaisroux
11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Morning all! A brisk but sunny day here - I love fall! :D

We have a jam-packed weekend in store. We are going to a food and wine show on Saturday afternoon and a party later in the evening.

Sunday-I'm going to the flea market with my mum and taking her out for a birthday lunch then DH goes to his buddy's to watch pay per view wrestling.

I also need to prepare for a French exam and an interview! :faint:
Guess I'll just pace myself through the next 2 months and sleep in January! :lol:

Hope everyone has a good weekend! :)

squeaker
11-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Crawling out from a pile of boxes to say "hi!"... I am working on packing up my apartment, as the movers will be here Thursday of Friday. I offically have no job for the next 3 weeks. :eek:

Good luck on the French exam Mavuais!

mauvaisroux
11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks Sqeaker and good luck with your big move!:)

I had a blast at the show yesterday and then went to dinner afterwards and to a party till 2:00 a.m. :yawn:

Slept in a bit, went out for a bit and now I'm back home doing laundry and studying.

We have a little bit of snow here today so it seems that winter is truly upon us.

ajandpj99
11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
wow - snow already?

My folks were here this weekend so naturally it rained all weekend. But it was on the warm side compared to the temps last weekend. nearly balmy.

Still alive - still lurking - any BSG fans can find me on that board. Not scifi but the other one

mauvaisroux
11-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Well the snow didn't stick around for more than one day and then it all melted.

It's been unusually mild here this past week.

I am exhausted this week as I've been practicing a dance routine, working or several projects and trying to keep the house in order, not to mention working at tying up loose ends at the office before I go on vacation next week.

I only have one more French test to prepare for and I am done until the New Year. :cb:

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Its been wonderfully warm here the last couple of days! So nice to be out walking with the dog. The ground is covered with leaves and the sun is shining... beautiful. I guess I better get out and enjoy it as much as I can because before long it is going to be 0 degrees outside. :cry:

Had my Wed weight watchers meeting and I am happy to report that I was down 1.2 pounds. I have been going for five weeks and I have lost a total of 10.4 pounds! With the exercise and their flex program I am feeling really confident about long term progress.

Spideranne
11-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Sojourner: Way to go on the loss. What kind of dog do you have?

I'm in need of some advice for tomorrow. It is my mother in law's b-day and there is a big dinner planned at the Cheescake Factory. So I really want to be good, but I love cheesecake. So do I eat real light for the day and get the cheesecake or do I just say no. I have been good with my eating lately and don't want to have the cheesecake, but I feel like I need a plan or I will cave when I'm there.

Sojourner
11-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi Spideranne... we just adopted a pug puppy this summer and I have turned into one of those crazy dog owners who thinks their pet is a child! His name is Java and he is a spoiled-rotten puggy whom I adore:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/wagnerkester/JavaToys2.jpg

He just makes me so happy and healthy since I walk him all the time and he keeps me smiling and laughing. I noticed you were listing dog walks in your exercise post... what kind of dog do you have?

Regarding the Cheesecake Factory... unfortunately I looked at their website and they don't offer nutritional information... big surprise. SO... I would plan on eating very light tomorrow and the rest of the week with lots of exercise. Maybe just have a light breakfast and some veggie soup for lunch and a small snack mid-day and lots of water. Exercise the day of for longer than usual. Try to eat a light meal when you are there maybe a salad with dressing on the side... otherwise for sure only 1/2 an entree. Then if you want to, order some cheesecake and split with someone or only eat half and take the rest home to enjoy later or send home with someone else. When you order it ask them to bring only 1/2 and box up the other half right away. I am a firm believer that we still can have an occasional treats as long as we have properly dealt with any binge/trigger-food/emotional eating. Savor and enjoy each bite of the cheescake and eat slowly!

Spideranne
11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Sojourner: Java is so cute!!! I love pugs. We completely treat our dogs as children and love every moment of it. Here is Rufus and Sara. (I couldn't figure out how to attach a picture that wasn't huge - so here is the link to my photobucket)
http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/spideranne/Dogs/

Rufus is the stubborn one. He won't go for walks. You get about a block from the house and he just sits down and won't budge until you head back home. Sara is our ADHD dog. It's always go, go, go with her and she is excited by everything new. Needless to say, she is the one I'm out on walks with.

Thanks for the advice on the meal out. I have my food all planned out for the day and I think I have found a salad on their menu that i can modify. Hubby and I talked about it last night and agreed to split dessert. He competes in Olympic style weightlifting :strong: and has been on a very clean diet lately and wants a little bit of a treat, but not the whole thing.
So I'm thinking the night should go OK.

ajandpj99
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Speaking of dog walks - we have stopped going mons and thurs since it is dark at 5 and I have a colt that needs daily attention.

So for winter we have decided that we go just once a week but for much longer - we were going uphill for about 1 hr then back down about 1/2 hr. To make a once a week deal worth it - we will go uphill for 2 hrs - take a break - then back down about 1 hr. So it will be the same total time walking a week just on a day off like today.

My friend and I always bring our big dogs. My big boy Grizz is 1/2 neufy and 1/2 shepard. He weighs about 130 lbs and carries his own pack with his own water and bowls and even a blanket to lay on when we stop. Her dog is part pointer or heeler and possible some lab or pit (no one knows for sure - he was a pound puppy).

I also have 3 little dachsund-schnauzer-chih mutts that dont go with me since they also have terrier in them and tend to wander. If I was hiking in the woods (cross country) they could go but we usually stick to back road or logging roads and while cars are rare - they do come along. Grizz is smart enough to get off the road but the little ones like to ride in cars and think that running under it is the way inside (dummies). Plus I have no packs for them and since they live inside (and in my bed) and grizz is outside - this is his time for my undevided attention.

Great to see so many new faces. Welcome all.:hug:

Sojourner
11-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Spideranne... your babies are adorable! You can resize the photo right in Photobucket...just hit the edit button for a particular photo. To insert the resized photo directly into your post, copy the "IMG" link instead of the "URL" link and paste it. I use Photobucket too... gotta love free web photo hosting!

ajandpj99, it sounds like you have quite the zoo at your place! How many animals do you have total? Anyone else have pets?

mauvaisroux
11-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Your dogs are all so cute!!!! :D

mauvaisroux
11-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Well I'm off to Anaheim tomorrow! :cb:

I will try to pop in if I can but if not I will talk to you all in about a week's time! :)

Hope you all have a good week. :D

squeaker
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
No fair! You are getting there before me! ;)

ajandpj99
11-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Sojourner - yes I have a zoo - thankfully I have space for them.:dizzy:

We have 3 little dogs (dot, arnold, danny) - inside - 1 big dog outside (grizz)

We have 3 outside cats (shaker, shiner, fester)

We have 3 horses (Pepsi, Beau, Kaipo (my colt))

Right now it is mud city out in the pastures - poor baby horse - I need to walk him in the creek and give his feet a soak since he isnt foot friendly yet.

Down the road - we plan to get more chickens (layers) - I had several but the racoons soon ate them all. :mad:

In addition to the chickens - we may end up with some beef stock and pork as well - but not till we get our house built. Too many mouths to feed now.

On the upside - my twice a day rounds to feed and clean stalls - is a great mini workout. :carrot:

mauvaisroux
11-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm back from SoCal - had a lovely time but it's good to be home. :)

Back to work tomorrow so I will be getting back into my routines.

squeaker
11-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I am in my new home in SoCal. I am enjoying myself. My bf & I made Thanksgiving dinner for just us. It was fun.

Just trying to set up all my stuff in the apartment, and enjoying my last few days off.

flower
11-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone! I am back on the loosing wagon. My baby is now 5 months old and is finally allowing me a little free time. Hubby lost job and I saw myself reaching for food and realized, I may not be able to control outside forces but I can control my diet and my excersice. So, here I am back again!

mauvaisroux
11-27-2006, 10:37 AM
glad you are settling in Squeaker! Good luck with your new job! :lucky:

Welcome back flower! :wave:

Back at work today and a ton of work to do so I will pop in tonight. :)

ajandpj99
11-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi All! Hope everyone had a good holiday..

Just a quick hey to let you all know I am alive.

Any Battlestar Galactica Fans here? The new one?

You can find me at http://battlestargalacticaforum.com it is tons of fun - we dont just discuss the show but we also have a little role playing game going on where we are all part of the Fleet. I am a minister on the Quorum of 12.

Stop in - check us out. We also do alot a debating/discussion on various topics that come up in the show, abortion, suicide bombers, genocide, the difference between being a terrorist and a freedom fighter and so on.

In addition to that - I have been spending a lot time working with my colt - teaching him voice commands - like a dog - so I wont have to yank the reigns when he is old enough to ride (my inexperience as a rider should not punish him) He is super smart and not afraid of anything.

We woke to snow this morning - and this is the colts first snow ever - didnt even seem to notice that the rain turned white and was falling like confetti.

:D

mauvaisroux
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey aj- I actually have met Richard Hatch a couple of times while working at gaming conventions. He is a very pleasant and highly intelligent person to talk to and still looks pretty good in person. I had to laugh - I actually got to meet my tween-age crush -I loved him in the original series. :D

I got some great news today - I passed my French exam! Yahoo! I am now officially bilingual! :cb:

Funny, when I was in Anaheim I met a young man from Paris and had a short conversation with him in French - you never know when a second language will come in handy! :)

Now I want to brush up on my Spanish and Italian since I can read and understand both languages but need to work on my writing and grammar skills for both so I can become more fluent. Right now I just have fun eavesdropping on people's conversations on the bus - :lol:

After that I'm thinking of attempting to learn Chinese or Arabic. I'm torn between the two - I bellydance and have a lot of Arabic music so I already know a few words here and there but then Chinese is one of the most prominent languages in the world so it would probably beneficial for my career to learn Chinese.

Squeaker - how is the new job going so far?

flower
11-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Mauv- I am impressed!

ajandpj99
11-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Mauv - that is so cool. Always nice to hear that the famous can be civil/down to earth.

Congrats on your bilingualness.

Another cold one today - 32 this morning - no precipatation - just frost. My toes are cold. Brrr.

:D

Spideranne
11-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Wow Mauv, learning languages is no easy job, congratulations. You mentioned gaming conventions... you weren't by any chance at GenCon SoCal?

AJ, are you anywhere near Eugene, OR? My hubby is considering law school there but I am kind a wimp when it comes to cold weather, especially snow. Are the winters really cold?

squeaker
11-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Congrats Mauvis! Very cool. :)

Welcome back Flower!

aj - Good luck with the colt! & the weather ;)

I am doing ok here. A bit out of sorts at work, trying to figure out all the new terms/etc. Also I am working on a college campus, so I am trying to figure out where everything is! But so far, so good.

lizziness
11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Spideranne - I'm in Eugene, Or. It's as cold here as it's probably going to get - and it's in the 30's. It snowed a few days ago, but just flakes and then it was melted by mid morning the next day. And it was only about 1/4 of an inch. :)
I think that it's not THAT cold, for THAT long ... but it does rain a lot. They don't call us Ducks for nothing. :)

Sojourner
11-30-2006, 01:26 AM
aj... I LOVE the new BSG... although we are just getting into it this year. Love scifi in general. Still watch Farscape reruns every week...

mauvaisroux
11-30-2006, 10:36 AM
SpiderAnne - I was at Gencon Socal, where you there too?

Squeaker - good to hear that things are okay so far, I'm sure you be settle in a few weeks and will know the place like the back of your hand. :)

Aj- you are so lucky to have a horse, it should be fun to watch him frolick in the snow.

Spideranne
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Ok...It is COLD here today. It was 80 degrees yesterday and now it is only 30 and snow/sleeting. That's a 50 degree drop in less then 24 hours. For the most part everyone is freaking out about the roads and most stuff is closed or will close early. It's only suppose to last the day, tomorrow back to the 50's or 60's.

Lizzi - Thanks for the info on Eugene. As you can tell, I don't like the cold. Surprisingly I don't mind the rain, find it kind of relaxing.

Mauv - No, we didn't make it to Gencon Socal, we do exhibit at Gencon Indy every year though. My hubby and I are partners in a fantasy miniatures company, Magnificent Egos. It's a side business for us and I don't often run into other people who get the gamer culture. Was there a big turnout for Socal?

mauvaisroux
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Cool! I have worked at the Gencon Conventions for about 8 years as a senior volunteer (in Milwaukee and in Indy).

I've probably seen you at Indy - :lol: and you've probably met my hubby as he works in the exhibit hall as OPS and security. Small world!!!! :D

I'm usually up front at badge registration but do go to the exhibit hall on my time off to shop, do demos and visit with some friends. I'm more of a table top gamer and like beer and pretzel type games like Lunch Money, Killer Bunnies, and the products of Z-Man Games and Cheap *** Games. I'm not into the collectible card games as much.

Socal was a lot of fun and there were a lot of people there. It's not as big a show as Indy but it is a good show and I enjoyed being there.

mauvaisroux
12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
:snowglo: Woke up to snow this morning!

When I got to work everyone was in the yuletide spirit so we set up the office tree :tree: and cranked up the carols while decorating it. The bosses must have thought we were drinking too with the amount of giggling and laughing that was going on! (We were just drinking plain old coffee though :) )

The weather is suppose to get worse throughout the day with a mix of snow, freezing rain and high winds - Winter is here with a vengeance!:shocksn:

My plan for this evening is to make a quick veggie/pasta dinner then hunker down with a blanket and some hot chocolate and watch movies with my hubby and the cat - Bliss! :cloud9:

Sojourner
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Yup was snowing here today too... puppy went nuts in the snow and practically dragged me around during his morning walk. Stinker... for an 18 pound dog he sure can be a handful sometimes!

mauvaisroux
12-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Closing this thread to start the December chat thread.