Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #1  

Default Anybody use a Bowflex?

Hi there! I'm not new to this site, but I'm new to the exercise threads. I'm curious if anyone out there uses a Bowflex. My husband and I bought one over a week ago and I'm really liking it. I use that three times a week and use my treadmill 5 times a week. No big changes yet, but even the walking is fairly new to me.

If anyone has any favorite Bowflex exercises or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm not feeling anything after working out on it so I think I'm going to start doing 2 sets instead of 1 like I have been doing.

If there is a better place to find other Bowflexers?

Thanks!
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/167/135

Height: 5'1

I love our BowFlex. I have noticed a big difference in my arms. I do 3 sets of 12-15 reps. I use 25 lbs. I just want to tone. Kepp at it and you will see results. Adding another set will help.

carafre
carafre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Bowflex isn't really different than standard weight lifting and I assume they gave you something that shows you different exercises and how to use your bowflex?

One thing you should consider is working towards muscle failure which will give you the best benefit of weight lifting. A standard routine is 3 sets of 12-15 reps per exercise. I'd recommend making the weight such that getting to 15 is somewhat difficult. I'd also recommend resting your muscles at least a day between workouts. That doesn't mean you can't use your bowflex every day but you could work a couple different muscle groups one day, then work different muscle groups another day, then work yet other muscles the third day.

A couple good sites that could help you are:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

They don't mention bowflex but they do show exercise routines as well as gym type exercises that can be replicated on the bowflex.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #4  

Thanks! I am doing 12 reps and getting to the point of losing my form by 12, so I think the weight is heavy enough. I just need to add more. I do take a rest day in between. Once I get better at the current program I'm doing, I might switch it up to lower body one day, upper the next.

Thanks for the suggestions and links.
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote