Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #1  
cbeehler

Default I need some input. New poster.

Hi, I have been a lurker for a long time and I love the site.
I am at a point, though, where I need input from you all.
I am hypothyroid, a mother of three.
I gained 30 pounds in the years of being undiagnosed. Probably in two years or less.
I am on Armour thyroid, my temps are almost back to normal (not quite) and I cannot make the weight disappear!!!!
I am seeing a nutritionist that specializes in autoimmune diseases (like diabetes) and she is great. But I have been on her diet for over a month and haven't lost at all. It was only a three week jump start but we have extended it. LOL.
The scale says four pounds, but that was gone the first two weeks. I have gained one back and I am religiously sticking to her diet.
It is a balance of lean protein (3-4 oz with each meal) and a tad with snacks.
my breakfast is a protein powder shake with water and 1/4 cup berries and a half banana.)lunch is a salad or protein shake, snack is yogurt with protein powder, dinner is 3-4 oz protein and tons of veggies. Min. 96 oz of spring water a day. No joke.
No eating after 7.
So, any ideas? I really thought this would be the ticket.
Oh, and I am doing Jazzercise 3 days a week.
Thanks so much everyone.
Good luck on your journeys.
C
cbeehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Hey Hun! Just hang in there- I know it is hard and sometimes it just
takes a while for your body to catch-up and it will. Don't give up!
It will be slow-believe me I know. Looks like your doing all the right
things.

Good Luck to ya!
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #3  
cbeehler

Wow. You have done wonderfully. Thanks for the vote of confidence. It is so hard. I have ben thin my whole life. What a reality check!
Hope to be on more.
C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestorun View Post
Hey Hun! Just hang in there- I know it is hard and sometimes it just
takes a while for your body to catch-up and it will. Don't give up!
It will be slow-believe me I know. Looks like your doing all the right
things.

Good Luck to ya!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Not to second guess your nutritionist...but have you broken out what percentage of calories are coming from protein? (It seems like a lot of protein if you aren't lifting weights....) Do you how many calories you are taking in a day - vs how many you are burning? How tall are you?

sorry you are having a rough time! I've never been thin...but I know plateaus like nobodys business.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #5  
cbeehler

I do do strength training3x a week. The percentage is about 10-15 % protein I am not sure about carbs, alot of them (most) come from fruit and veggies.
I think she is concerned because of the reaction I have to grains. I had nuts today for snack which is unusual for me, so my fat ratio is higher than normal.
Why not protein if you aren't using weights regularly? What should the ratio be?
Thanks for your input. You have no idea how I appreciate it.
C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
Not to second guess your nutritionist...but have you broken out what percentage of calories are coming from protein? (It seems like a lot of protein if you aren't lifting weights....) Do you how many calories you are taking in a day - vs how many you are burning? How tall are you?

sorry you are having a rough time! I've never been thin...but I know plateaus like nobodys business.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh - 10-15% is not high at all...I guess it just sounded like a lot. I actually aim for 30% protein and fat, 40% carbs. But everyone processes food differently, I got the ratio after filling out a questionaire....so it's kinda personalized. Have you tried logging what you are eating? I use Fitday - I would never be able to figure out the ratios without it. It helps me calorie count as well. In the end it does end up being cloires in vs calories burned....but it does sound like you are doing all the right things. It's possible patience is the best answer. You might feel huge - but you are relatively small already...this might take a while. Not to depress you - but keep in mind you are probably going to have to do this for the rest of your life (be conscious of what you eat)...

BTW - I'm hypothyroid as well - but I was fortunate that I was diagnosed before I ever really noticed symptoms...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  

Your diet sounds very good to me. I too am hypothyroid, and I struggle to lose anything. I am also diabetic now, after years of fighting insulin resistance. Too lose, I have to get a LOT of moving in, in addition to eating really well. Jazzercize is great, but you might want to add walking on the days you don't do it, and some strength training as well. My doctor told me I needed to be burning between 1500 and 2000 calories a week to see any results. When I get in 60 minutes of exercise a day, I see some progress.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #8  
cbeehler

Thanks, everyone.
Unfortuately, I can't do too much exercise yet...my adrenals are pooped out and we are healing them.
I am just up to 3 days a week and actually I am beginning to think it may be alot of fluid retention, also.
I really appreciate the input, everyone and I will keep ya all posted.
Christie
Old 11-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #9  

Take a look at that protein powder that you have so often. How much protein is in it and what kind. If it's soy, it's bad for your thyroid and will keep your medication for working properly. With all those protein shakes, it seems your protein % is not accurate. I do SBD and do well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #10  
cbeehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Take a look at that protein powder that you have so often. How much protein is in it and what kind. If it's soy, it's bad for your thyroid and will keep your medication for working properly. With all those protein shakes, it seems your protein % is not accurate. I do SBD and do well.
The shake doesn't have any soy in it. It has appropriate portions of what I need, the nutritionist I see specializes in autoimmune (and thyroid) problems.
I really really need to stay away from all wheat/grain products and sugary things. I can't believe how quick I put back on weight when I stray.
I am so bloated, it is awful.
I have lost 8 lbs since the second week in sept. (it is now end of Nov.)
I am pleased with the loss, it is just so slow.
I take Armour thyroid and take it sublinguilly so it won't interfere with anything I eat anyway, but thanks for the advice.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #11  

Is your nutritionist selling the protein shakes/powder to you?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote