Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Default Thanksgiving Challenge Weekly chat Oct. 30 - Nov. 5

Goooood morning! jcatron243, I hope you don't mind that I'm starting this week's chat thread... but I am excited and inspired in a bunch of new ways that I've been thinking about over the weekend, and I wanted to share with you all.

More soon...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #2  
Suz

Thumbs up

Okay... here goes.

First - my Saturday workout at the gym was a disaster. It seemed like every machine I tried had something wrong with it, and so I ended up angrily switching from machine to machine to machine... and by the time I got done doing little stints of intense working out on each of them, I'd done an hour of cardio! Zing! Just like that! It went fast, and it went well, and even though I was grumpy about the machines not working, I was surprised and happy that I'd actually done ONE HOUR of solid cardio. That NEVER happens to me. So - for those who are just starting out with exercising or looking to change up their routine, that might be a good idea: 10 minutes X 4 machines = 40 minutes of non-boring cardio!

Also inspiring to me this weekend was that I discovered that I'm actually developing muscles! After six weeks of solid working out four days a week, it's finally starting to work!! Like caterpillars in coccoons (or maybe I should call them "fatterpillars"), I am actually developing muscle tone - which you can't really see just yet under the fat on my thighs and arms, but I can certainly feel it there. Whoa! I began thinking about that... my "fatterpillars" developing and growing all winter while I coax them out with my exercise/healthy eating... and they will slowly emerge... and next year, with healthy cultivation on my part, I will be the butterfly.

Okay, it sounds corny, but it works for me!!

Food for Thought:
I got inspired this weekend by a song. (This happens a lot, by the way, since both my husband and I are musicians.) You know how sometimes a song speaks to you, and you can really identify with it, like the songwriter was looking right into your head and writing down exactly how you feel? Well, that happened to me this weekend.

I think we all know this song:
I can see clearly now, the rain is gone.
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright, bright, sunshiny day.

Again - CORNY - but look at the lyrics closely. On first appearance, this song seems Pollyanna-ish and overly-optimistic. But look at the second line - "I can see all obstacles in my way." See, it's not just suggesting that because things are going well that it's always going to be easy... there ARE obstacles on our path, and there always will be. The difference in this song, however, is that we are seeing them clearly. And seeing our obstacles, challenges and difficulties with clarity - being able to know them, identify them, call them by name, and OWN them so we can OVERCOME them - makes all the difference, doesn't it?

And so, I am calling out my obstacles - I see them and now I will name them and own them so I can beat them.

1) OBSTACLE: Complacency. I do not lose as much as I could because I become complacent, I overcome my mini-challenges and get so pleased with myself that I don't push myself further. I need to push, push, and keep pushing. Umph!

2) OBSTACLE: Husband's food choices. I hate to say this, but he makes things difficult for me because of his insistence on having junk food around the house and his reluctance to eat healthy things I make. I love him, but this is a problem and we are going to have to change the system if I am going to be successful.

3) OBSTACLE: Jealousy. I admittedly get discouraged and jealous when I see all those perfect bodies in movies, in television, in magazines. I know those photos are all doctored up, but still... so I am resolved to no longer buy fashion magazines. They fill my head with stupid ideas, anyway, and I don't need to constantly see that stuff and beat myself up about it.

I'm sure I'll think of more... but that's a start.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

ohhh I am intrigued! I can use some bits of inspiration today!!
I am starting over today. I need to get my mind away from all the cravings so I am going to focus on exercise and drinking water, plus I will go to 1200-1300 calories for the next few days. (really its not too different from normal) For exercise I am going to work towards time, not calories burned. I have to get back in the habit of telling my body NO to the junk cravings! Plus making my body get up and workout. I just haven't wanted to the last 5 days.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!! Mine ended on a great note! And this week will start off great!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #4  
Hunnasgirl

S/C/G: 249/249/155

Height: 5'8"

Hello -

I wanted to know if there is room for one more on your challenge. I had my own 28 day challenge that that would end the day before Thanksgiving and got really excited when I saw this post because it means that I am not alone. Are there rules?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

hunnasgirl: Welcome!! There is always room for more supporters and those who need support. No real rules. I think we still post our weights on Wednesdays, and be supportive!

Rowdy Bliss: We must have been posting this at the same time! I love the song (but I am a corny person! )

Obstacle 1: I get discouraged when the scale doesnt move and it makes me want to eat! (And I get on the scale every day which I vow I will not do again until WED!!

Obstacle 2: If I eat one bad high calorie meal I think I have ruined the day, instead of staying on track for the rest of my meals, I eat terribly all day.

Obstacle 3: Working out at home is a blessing and a curse. I consider it an obstacle on the days when my children are constantly wanting me to do for them, I can tell my 3 yo that it is Mommy time, but my 1 yo doesn't know what Mommy time is.

Obstacle 4: My laziness. I do work out an average of 60 minutes per day but the rest of the day I just want to sit and be lazy, then I feel bad because I could have done _________ or _________. You can fill in the blank with any of my could have dones.

Okay I spelled out what I see as my obstacles Now it is time to work on them! This will be another Thanksgiving goal of mine. Work on what I see are my obstacles!!

When I first started my change of eating and exercise I made a chart split up into catagories Water, Exercise, Eats, Daily Goals This worked great for me Maybe it is time to start doing that again!

Last edited by jcatron243; 10-30-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi everyone, ummm I didn't know about posting our weights on Wednesday, hope you don't mind but I just got back from the nutritionist for my weigh in and guess what - I'm down 7 1/2 lbs from 13 days ago. That brings me 4 1/2 pounds from Thanksgivings goal of 240. Woo hoo.

Anyway, Rowdybliss: That is one of mine and my husbands favorite songs, he even sang it at a karaoake party once, and if I do say so myself he did a great job. I would absolutely not get through the day with out my radio, no doubt about it, music is a MUST in my life. And I'm so happy for you and all your wonderful cardio (envious I am, I tell ya). After reading your obstacles and I'l have to get to mine later I can see where they'd all be obstacles except for #3 - you can't tell me an intelligent person such as yourself falls for the Hollywood crap and the stupid fashion magazines - I know that you know better then that. Come on it's a bunch of garbage. I don't know what you do for a living but I bet you do it real well - right? Well that's what those people do for a living - look real darn well- if they were paying you millions of dollars to be in perfect form - you'd make damn sure you're in perfect form. Don't let them get to you!!!

jcatron: Those darn cravings are just awful, I struggled with them terribly this weekend. It is VERY difficult having little ones at home, you just have to take the good with the bad, just some days there's so much more bad then good, oh well.

And a big hearty to hunnasgirl.

Here's to a great week everybody.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #7  
Suz

Is it Wednesdays that we post our weight? I didn't know that! If that's the case, I can change my weekly weigh-in from Fridays to Wednesdays... I don't want to buck the system!

hunnasgirl: Welcome to 3FC! I saw your other post where you're looking for buddies... and joining a Challenge Group like this one is a great way to make new online weight-loss buddies and give/get support. jcatron243 was smart enough to start this Thanksgiving Challenge, and it has easily been the best thing for me! As long as you're here, you will never be alone in your quest. SO many great folks here!

jcatron243: I never really thought much of that song before, but now that I've listened closely to it, I really am beginning to love it! I've been bopping around the office all morning, singing it to myself. I think I may put it on my workout mix on my mp3 player, too.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #8  
Suz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by "fed"up View Post
Hi everyone, ummm I didn't know about posting our weights on Wednesday, hope you don't mind but I just got back from the nutritionist for my weigh in and guess what - I'm down 7 1/2 lbs from 13 days ago. That brings me 4 1/2 pounds from Thanksgivings goal of 240. Woo hoo.
YAAAAY!!!

That is AWESOME loss!!! Holy cow, girl, how do you do that???

Anyway - yes, of course you're right, I know better than to fall for the stupid Hollywood ideal of beauty/body image... but when it's in my face, every single friggin' day... the media practically beats us upside the head with it... you know what I mean? GAAAAH.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Actually ladies I didn't truly start the challenge but it came up in my first week here (back in August). When there were only four of us left we thought we should round up more supporters. I know it can be intimidating joining a challenge already in progress so I started a new thread. Wednesdays were at the beginning and now most of us just post on our weigh-in days. Don' change anything!! WE need to do what is best for ourselves!!!

I also don't have a life! I stay at home with my kids during the day and I work the evenings, so I am just around all day long. I love posting here and I hope we all work through our T-day challenge and move to a christmas challenge together!

Fedup congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so great
Old 10-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #10  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Welome hunnasgirl!! We could ALWAYS use all the support we can get! Jump right in there!

FedUp! You are doing so awesome!!! I love your numbers!!

I saw most of you over at the November exercise challenge thread, I'm really excited about it! I like what you said, jcatron, that you can't control whether or not you lost pounds but you ARE in control of the amount of time you commit to exercise. I feel like my goal numbers are so LOW (1100 minutes, 50 miles) but honestly, between work and kids, home etc. I think I've set the bar high enough....and I'm just counting GYM time, since I don't really do exercise videos or walk the neighborhood or whatever. So I can get ahead easily if I get there 4 days instead of my usual 3, but I in in AWE of you guys that get there 4-5 days! WOW!

The tricks-or-treats around this house are making me CRAZY! I know I'm not the only one but MAN! It's hard to resist! And the sickest thing is that when I lose the fight and eat one (or five) they DON'T EVEN TASTE THAT GREAT TO ME!!! But I can't stop myself. I feel like crap and don't even get that orgasmic YUMM that I used to get when I ate like this all the time. But I know if I exercise, my will not to binge is so much stronger. Hope you are all doing better facing the candy.

I switch back to night shift this week after my 4 weeks on days. I gotta tell you though, I really liked working "normal" people hours! But I didn't get to the gym as often as when I'm on my nights and sometimes I ate more since I worked such long shifts (12hr). So I go back in tonight, 7p-7a and will wake up and go straight to the gym. Looking foreward to being back on my regular schedule. (I think)

Jasmine, I've been meaning to say hello and welcome to you, I like that your lifetime stats are really close to mine, I can always relate to you when I see your posts.

RowdyBliss, you should be a motivational speaker in your spare time!! You seem to always be so optimistic and upbeat and when I read your posts, I feel so MOTIVATED! Yes, we CAN do this! Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Jcatron, I'm not surprised others think you are the one who started this thread, you seem to have emerged as a natural leader and cheerleader! I kinda see you as the peanut butter who holds this sammy together (all natural pb and whole wheat bread of course).

Looking foreward to the HOME STRETCH...here we goooooo! Oh yes, and for our new challenge, shall we call it something like Thanksgiving to New Years or something the like to tie in the group?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

Michelle you made me blush!

Happy Halloween to everyone. Michelle I refused to buy the candy until today that way I won't be tempted! I think I may go and buy some fruit drinks and gummy candies to hand out (that way I am definately not tempted) I live on the main road going one way through my town so last year I expected to get lots of trick-or-treaters, but I only got 1 I bought 10 bags of candy. This year I am going to get special bags for my neices and nephews. That way I feel like I am participating.

I was so upset yesterday TOM showed up 5 days early! I normally am a clockwork kind of girl. Anyway so no wonder I was having so many cravings!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

NurseMichelle:

Quote:
Jasmine, I've been meaning to say hello and welcome to you, I like that your lifetime stats are really close to mine, I can always relate to you when I see your posts.
Awwww thanx hun! I am normally in the other challenge threads, I just had to peek in on jcatron the other day though. The only reason I even seen this was it was just updated in the main forum! Good thing we all have an exercise challenge in common now so we can keep track of each other! You are always welcome to stop in my turkey thread too if you see something interesting or just want to say hi.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:10 PM   #13  
Suz

Thumbs up

Good afternoon, beautiful ladies..!

Having a pretty good day so far. Slim Fast for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch (Chicken Enchilada Suiza... which I give a rating of "so-so"), and I think I'm going to make salmon for dinner. The seafood department at the store has these handly little pre-cut portions which I have the guy behind the counter weigh for me, so I know EXACTLY what the portion is and can count the calories. I've taken a resolve lately to not eat anything unless I know for sure what the calorie count is so that I can keep accurate track of calorie intake. So far, so good!

I had a weak moment yesterday, though. I was helping out at the theatre and someone had left out a little bag of these Teddy Bear Cookies. All those little bears cried out in four-part harmony from the bag... "Come get us Suz!! We have chocolate chips!!!" And so I ate some. Not a lot, certainly less than what they call a "serving" on the bag, but I still feel a tiny pinch of guilt for giving in. None of us are perfect, certainly (especially me!), and I think that little treats to ourselves are okay, but I wanted to confess here so I can stop feeling crappy about it and move on! Stupid bears.

Mercifully, we have NO Halloween candy in the apartment whatsoever. We don't get Trick-or-Treaters, and Halloween was never really my "thing" - although in the past I have been known to devour entire bags of candy corn...

I am going to go to the gym tonight. I was going to take the night off, but I'm so jazzed about the exercise challenge that I wanted to give myself a head start! That and I really need the "me" time. Gonna get in my zone, gonna kick my own butt, gonna sweat!

And NurseMichelle - I don't know if I could ever be a motivational speaker, but the things that have happened in my life have taught me much... and although a lot of those times were really hard, I would be doing myself a disservice by not learning from them and making them positive. Lately, I have discovered so many great and exciting things about life, and I'm just happy I can come here and share them with such a great bunch of folks!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi everyone. Thanks everyone for the kind words on the weight loss, but do keep in mind that I am much heavier then you guys and therefore if I'm eating the same amount as you and since I burn so many more calories then you do just doing everyday normal things that naturally I'm gonna lose weight faster.......in the beginning. It's bound to slow down eventually, but I'll take now for as long as I can.

And yes I absolutely agree with NurseMichelle, Rowdybliss you are truly full of inspiration and thought provoking ideas and it's just great.

I'm gonna miss all of you because you'll be done with all of your challenges because you'll all be so skinny and I'll be left behind still plugging away. Oh well, I just should have started this weightloss stuff earlier - haha.

Have a good one!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:04 PM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Fedup I'll still be around to support you!!!
Closed Thread