Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default any ideas on make ahead meals

Any ideas of dishes that you can make ahead of time, then put in the fridge or freezer to make whenever you want them? I would love to hear your ideas? Oh yeah, it has to include some meat (DH doesn't think a meal is a meal without meat!) Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Lasagna (just bake first, freeze, and reheat later), chili, soup/stew, pot pies, meatloaf, pizzas... you can pretty much freeze anything - just make sure you seal them properly and portion them so you're not having to thaw the whole thing just to get enough for 2 people. You can make up batches of sauces, too - spaghetti sauce, etc - and freeze those so it's all done and ready to use on dinner.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #3  

I make whole grains and then freeze them (millet, kasha, brown rice). You could thaw a portion (I put them in those Glad containers w/a blue lid) and serve as a side grain to a meat--maybe turkey burgers or something like that.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #4  

Here are a few that I have used. They don't all have points. I'll try to add them as I think they are on my other computer. Please ignore the piles of typing errors I use galdware and ziplock, then I label date AND put points information AND portion size on each package!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/483

This actually freezes pretty well. I sometimes add a bit more vinegar upon reheating.

here is one for breakfast, I froze them wrapped individually in waxed paper and then put groups of them in gallon ziplock bags. Great for microwavinga nd eating on the run.

Breakfast burritos
Servings: 10
Categories: Breakfast
Source: Jan Starr
1 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
4 eggs
2 tablespoons water
salt and pepper
6 1/8 ounces healthy choice lowfat breakfast sausgae patties- 1 box
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper
10 98% fatfree tortillias
1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tablespoon margarine
waxed paper
1. saute onion and pepper IA nonstick pan. add in cut up Sausage (doesn't need to be cooked it's precooked), refrigerate

2. scramble eggs and egg beaters trying to keep curds large, just before finished add in sausage mix

3. warm tortillas in microwave. Place 1/4 C of egg mixture in the middle and 1 scant T of cheese.

4. Roll and wrap in waxed paper

5. to reheat defrost 2 minutes and heat for 30 seconds.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/viewrecipe/475

I froze these the same way the burritos minus the last layer of cheese and sauce. That way I could grab and go. But these could be frozen as a entire dish and placed in a casserole.

Meatballs, hamburgers, meatloaf (and thier ground turkey and ground chicken counterparts I think) ect can be made ahead and frozen. Meatballs can be frozen individually on a cookie sheet then transferred into a ziplock bag for easy portioning. Even gournd beef, just browned and placed in a ziplock for quick use. Just having it pre browned saves you alot of time. Also meat for fajitas can be made ahead and frozen. I use this alot for chicken. Just remember never to refreeze raw meat. You can freeze alot of this stuff with thier spices ect raw if you buy it fresh. I get my meat already frozen from teh butcher so I have to cook it all before freezing.

Soups are great freezer friendly fair

herbed turkey soup
Serves:4
1 onion, large, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 quart chicken stock, calls for turkey
2 cups turkey, cooked, shredded
1. saute onion add herbs and stock.

2. Bring to a simmer and reduce by about 10%

3. add turkey and simmer 10 minutes

Tomato Basil Soup
serves:4
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup basil, finley sliced
1. Hea olive oil and cook onion. Add in tomatoes and broth

2. bring to a boil thenr educe heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, season

3. stir in basil blend until smooth in food prossesor

Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed chicken breasts
Serves 4
4 chicken breast
1 package frozen chopped spinach
12 mushroom caps
1 onion, small quartered
1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Pound the chicken flat.

2. Defrost the spinach and drain. Put in mixing bowl.

3. Saute mushrooms, garlic, onions in a pan for about 5 minutes, season to taste. Grind in a food processor then add to spinach

4. add cheese and seasonings

5. place mound of stuffing each breast roll brests and secue with a tooth pick

6. Suate in an oil misted non stick pan until brown on all sides about 12 minutes

There is a Yahoo group on once a month cooking, they have TONS of recipes and tips. Jan Star seems to have authored ALOT of make ahead and crock pot recipes floating around the web many with WW points. I think there may have even been a WW thread on the OMAC group. And here is a site I used alot http://snider.mardox.com/OAMC.htm

I hope this helps a bit. A great way to get stuff stocked in your freezer is to batch cook. If it's taco night cook up two batch of meat and put half away, same thing with spaghetti sauce, lasagna as others mentioned.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #5  

Thank you so much!!

I will look more thoroughly this during the weekend!! I might have some questions (just a warning!).
Closed Thread