Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #1  

Angry Newbie-would be skinny if I didn't work

This is my very first post.

I have worked in a very toxic environment the past 7 years and have gained 70lbs as a result of it. I want me back!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:14 AM   #2  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Welcome!

I understand that work can trigger eating when you're not actually hungry. Work causes me to eat for 2 reasons:

1) Stress or frustration causes me to eat.
2) People at work bring in food from home to share. Also, there are a lot of meetings in the building where they serve food. When these meetings are over, there is sometimes extra food etc. because they ordered too much food for the meeting. It's so hard for me to resist that.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/185/145

Thumbs up Newbie too! & I can relate to work stress

I too am overweight from a toxic enviroment (and just plain loosing control!) I want "me" back too! I would be interested in some ideas too...
Old 10-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #4  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

I would just like to confirm any lingering suspicions that stress IS a MAJOR contributor to weight gain. I know we have all heard it but I have not only lived it and am since correcting it (I QUIT!) but my poor BFF is currently in the EXACT same downward spiral (its the same position in the same company.) She was under 100lbs 5 years ago and is now upwards of 170 at only 5'3". Don't let it consume you! Spend your energy finding something that works for you and your health.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to all of you new ladies! We're glad to have you join us.

Stevi is so right. It's easy to say, but don't let that kind of situation consume you.

This might sound harsh, and I do apologize if I offend anyone... that's not my intent. But I think we all look for excuses to sabotage a healthy lifestyle. I'm very guilty of it myself.
I'm glad you brought this issue up. Although I work at home, I use other stress-related issues to "allow" me to eat for comfort.

We all have choices. If finding another job, etc isn't an option, then we need to look at ways to reduce our stress level.
The much-hated exercise is one. We may hate it. We may think we can't possibly fit even 20 minutes into our busy schedule, but it is possible. And I'm sure everyone agrees that once we've exercised, we feel good about it for the rest of the day.

Planning our day is a big thing, too. We make time at work to plan for meetings, projects, etc, but we forget to plan for our own well-being.
What about getting together some healthy snacks the evening before a work day? Some cut-up veggies (I often buy pre-cut, knowing I'm too lazy to cut them up myself) and a yummy dip. A boiled egg. Some whole wheat crackers with peanut butter...

Just a few thoughts...
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's funny I always thought I was so heavy because I worked from my home. Being so close to the fridge and last night's leftovers and the kids snacks lurking around. Let's face it environment is a key element to weight gain. We just have to work that much harder to control ourselves in whatever environment we are in. Haha - easier said then done, no doubt. But it is doable - overweight people lose lots of weight whether they work at home or at an office or even a restaurant. It's all up to us. We can't control what other people bring into the work environment - we can only control what we put into our mouths. I wish us all luck and strenghth and of course a big dose of
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/260/160

Height: 5'5"

I feel the saaaaaame way... especially now with my new job, the vending machines are either 25cents or free!!! And they do try to have healthy choices, but they go so quickly!! Its unbearable sometimes...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #8  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Oh, no - free vending machines?! Sometimes I empty all of the coins and $1 bills out of my purse before I go to work so that I won't be tempted to buy anything from the vending machine.

Sometimes it's difficult to sit at your desk and keep working, or to eat something healthy, when you know there's a vending machine nearby with lots of good stuff.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #9  

Actually, it's how we react to our environment that causes us to overeat. We can learn new ways to deal with stress.
Closed Thread