Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #1  

Default New here, my husband is on LAWL, I'm trying to follow along...

my DH joined LAWL at the end of September, he's doing quite well. He wants to lose over 50lbs and he's lost about 15 so far.

As I'm the main cook in our house, as well as grocery shopper, I'm trying to follow the plan as well, but I'm afraid I may be eating too much, as I'm eating the same amounts of food as he is.

He's on the red plan, with Lites. I do not eat the Lites (too expensive for us both to have them).

I currently weigh 186lbs, am 5'6". I'd like to lose another 40, to 45lbs.

Which plan would I be on if I joined LAWL? And how is that broken down, in terms of proteins, veggies, fruits, etc.?

Thanks so much, I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks now and am learning a lot, as well as enjoying the recipes, etc.

Best wishes to all,

Jen
JenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #2  
FBD/8-18-08

Jan, I can't answer your question but I can offer a little advise... subsidize your lites with another type of bars - I'm in the same situation (although I have much more weight to lose!) I am "tailing" on my dh's membership... We purchase the Pria bars at Costco or Sam's - 36 bars for $19.00 and we BOTH eat both types.
Just a suggestion to stretch that budget and allow for you to get in on the lites as well.
I know several of the more knowledgeable ladies will be here for answers on which program although it is a busy weekend - so you may not get an answer until Monday.
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #3  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

JenNJ - Good morning. The plan amounts change if you are exercising 5+ hours a week. I can tell you that when I started I weighed 176 and was not exercising 5+ hours and they put me on the gold plan (with lites) which is:

2 Proteins (weights vary I believe by plan and all portions are raw weight so you should subtract 1 oz if you are weighing cooked portions; examples on my plan are 4 oz beef, 6 oz chicken, most fisih servings are 5 oz, 2T reduced fat PB...the list is long)
3 Veggies
3 Fruits
2 Starches
1 Dairy
1 Fat
2 LA Lites

If you don't do lites, you add a little food. According to another thread I just read, you add 1 extra veggie and 1/2 (approx 2 oz) of proteins.

Good luck and good for you for taking care of your own health. Like Pearl said, a few other ladies are way more knowledgeable than me. I can tell you all about the Blue and Gold plans, but that's it. And I love the lites (or the substitutes for lites) since I have a sweet tooth. I substitute the Kashi Go Lean crunch type bars; I get them at Walmart for under $1 each.

Last edited by Joni135; 10-28-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Jen - Welcome!

Pearl and Joni both gave you excellent advice. Also, since the "gold" plan starts around 180, you could do purple for a few weeks, and then move to gold, but you might as well start on gold if you are doing lites.

If you don't do the Lites (or Luna or Pria), if you went to a COD, they would move you to the next plan, which would be purple. On purple, the amounts of protein are the same as red, so you could use DH's book). The difference between Red and Purple is Purple has 1/2 less protein and 1 less starch. You would follow that to your goal if you are NOT doing any bars. If you are not going to do any bars, follow the gold portions Joni gave you.

Good luck, and feel free to jump in and ask us anything.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #5  

Cassi, Joni & Pearl - thank you all so much for your replies, they were very helpful.

I will look in to some alternatives to the Lites. DH said he was out the other day at work and had forgotten to pack some Lites to take with him, he stopped in a coffee shop and picked up a Luna bar - and after opening it he realized it said "weight loss bar for women" - he got a chuckle over that :-)

I am not exercising, except chasing after our 4.5 year old and small amounts of housework, I hope to change that soon. So I'll try to stick to Gold or Purple plan. I have been eating too much protein and starches.

DH went to weigh in today, he's down 18lbs since starting on 9/20, I'm very proud of him!

Again, thanks for your input and info, it's much appreciated,

~jj
Old 10-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Jen - I have the same problem at times -- too much protein and starches. Actually, when I wrote this info out to you, it was the first time I realized the portions were raw weights on the protein. And I don't even want to discuss my starch portions yesterday!!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaMe2MiniMe View Post
Jen - I have the same problem at times -- too much protein and starches. Actually, when I wrote this info out to you, it was the first time I realized the portions were raw weights on the protein. And I don't even want to discuss my starch portions yesterday!!
If you don't discuss your starch portions from yesterday, I won't discuss mine from today!

Tomorrow is a new day...

Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #8  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

JenNJ--I started at 188 (5'6) on Gold with Lites--so I'd say either do Gold with Lites (lunas, etc) or Purple without--I'm late getting in on this but since we were so close at starting weights wanted to chime in!
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote