Old 10-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #1  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Default I'm not the only one... HELP!!!

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I have a bit of a pickle.

I'm totally ready to jump on the whole "exercise and eat right" wagon, it's a helluva smart concept. Except I live in what is referred to as an "oil town." I work for an environmental company, who in turn does work out in the oil patch. I quit my old job, and moved up here to support my fiance's decision to take over the company, and here we are.

Here's the problem. I have no less than 3 crew members living in my house for 2 weeks on/1 week off. I have to cook very large meals that strictly stay within the "steak and potatoes" category. This is NOT helping me. I've thought about making a seperate supper for myself, but I just don't have the time. I'm working full time, and when I'm not, I'm either constantly strapped to my stove, my sink, or my washer and dryer. Don't get me wrong, I like having a house ful of people. But last night I cooked the guys ribs, potatoes, and peas, and decided to make something for myself afterwards. Well, the heck with that plan. I ended up eating a tuna fish sandwich because after I was done cooking their dinner, I just didn't have time with all of my evening chores.

I'm stuck here. The option to change their diets is... well, it's not an option. They do heavy labour, and the one solice they have is coming home to a warm home and a homecooked meal. I could only eat part of the meal, but then I wouldn't be eating a balanced meal.

Any advice at this point would literally save me. Am I going to be able to get away with eating these meals with smaller portions? I'm really not sure I am. The meals overall are just too starchy.

I think I might go crazy! LOL
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

When I still had three kids at home, I made yer normal meat and starch with veggies dinners. I ate the (lean) meats, vegetable and some salad.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I think that you should be able to do it while eating these meals for sure. It really is all about portion control. Even with the starches. I eat a lot of starches during the day, every day. I personally count calories, so it doesn't really matter what I eat (within reason of course, I try to stay away from fast food) as long as I stay in the calorie range that allows for a deficit every day or almost every day. Do you cook them every meal or just dinner? Because if it's just dinner you could start by just working on the rest of your meals as being a little more "healthy". Are you able to snack during the day?

I really think that this won't be a huge issue in you losing weight!!! Will you be able to get in any sort of workouts during the week? Even 20 minutes a few times a week would totally jump start your weight loss. I'm a firm believer that anyone in any situation can lose weight!!! I'm a personal trainer and am going to school to be a dietitian, so I know that there are ways to lose no matter what!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

What you could also do is prepare enough chicken breast to last you for the week. Freeze it. Each nite take one out and warm it up. Add some salad and veggies, maybe some rice and 1-2 times some potatoes. I generally eat red meat once a week. You can also switch to lean ground beef for another option. There is the 4% fat gr. beef. Good luck!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #5  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Oy. You are in a bit of a pickle; cooking for that many men must be exhausting! You could try making a big pot of healthy soup or a big healthy casserole-type thing during one of your weeks off. Make a huge amount, then freeze it in individual portions. Then all you have to do is pop it in the microwave, fix a salad and you're all set!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My DH is definitely a "meat and Potatoes" type person. I fix this for him quite often. I cook a green veggie with it. I always just have the meat, salad and a veggie for my dinner. This has worked well for me. As for the ribs, I'd eat mine without sauce on them. I do Atkins, and the meat is allowed with this way of eating. I do try to eat a lot of chicken and fish, to keep down the fat that I eat.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #7  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Thank you to all who replied, and so quickly!
I think I'll mix and match some of the ideas posted here. On my days off, I can "cook n' freeze," and meanwhile eat some of this, and some of that from the meals I'm already cooking, and have my freezed items as backup.

Thanks!!
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #8  
Goodbye Fat!

Try buying the bagged salads and always have one in your refrige. Instead of have the steak. Slice some of the lean parts of the steak on the salad and have a stead salad. Also always have veggie soup and salad on hand. This can be a first course, even if it is just for you and they fill you up fast.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #9  
Video Kid

Eat a salad (great idea to buy the pre made) or soup (low cal/low salt) every night with dinner, they're easy to make, and fill you up so you won't eat as much of the heavy fat/starch food the "menfolk" eat.

My boyfriend won't go near a verggie, so I use this trick to make him happy and me less fat.
Kadjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #10  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Talking

Get a George Forman grill (or the off-brand kind) and use that to make yourself a different meat, if they're having something fried or fatty. You should be ok with the potatoes and some veggies. If they're having mashed or fried potatoes, stick one of the spuds in the microwave for yourself, and have a "Baked" potato instead.

Good luck! I know you can do it!!!

Oh, and if you're just really dragging and don't want to do ANYTHING extra, keep some Lean Cuisines on hand, and pop one in the microwave for yourself some nights... add some baby carrots or a tossed salad and you're in business!

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #11  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Quote:
Get a George Forman grill (or the off-brand kind)
Ooo yes, I love my Forman. You can make such awesome panini type sandwiches on it. Yum!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Lots of great suggestions! Just don't forget to be careful of salad dressings! they can be very fatty! You can try a lowfat one or try one of the new salad spritzers!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #13  
This time it's for ME!

S/C/G: SW/172 CW/159 GW/145

Height: 5' 7.5"

martiniforme, I really believe in portion control.

I have two girls and a husband that's a meat and potatoes guy. After trying many types of diets that restricted me I have found out it IS truely possible to eat what your family eats for dinner and still lose weight (Now I try not to eat EVERYTHING that they eat but I try to make better choices now). I also add extra veggies to my table and you might try too. You may be surprised to find out that they (MEN) may like them or try them too. My husband now likes broccoli and cauliflower. I have also learned to use my kid's smaller plates to serve myself dinner and I do not go back for seconds. But this change has been slow and over the past 10 months so be kind to yourself and make the healthy changes in your life slow. Before you know it you'll be a healthier woman and it will be all worth the effort. I'm STILL learning what works best for me. You can do it too!

Oh, and I also love the George Foreman Grill.
Lenee64 is offline   Reply With Quote