Weight Loss Support - Bought "fat" pants yesterday...

View Full Version : Bought "fat" pants yesterday...

Beach Patrol
10-26-2006, 12:14 PM
:(

Had to go shopping yesterday... I had to buy "fat" pants. :mad: Size 12's. And all my size 10's & a few 8's are in a big transparent container in the attic. Waaah.

Well, gotta look at the bright side I suppose. At least I didn't have to buy 14's (I really thought I would!)

Here's to motivation, eh? :^:

ValRock
10-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I wish my fat pants were size 12! That's what size my skinny pants are :D. You can do it!

SlimLindy
10-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Did you have to buy a larger size because you've been off your diet? I totally commiserate, I've been there many times. The thing that I kicked myself for every time is that a LOT of my weight re-gain was always due to overeating and binge-eating to alleviate the stress of... MY WEIGHT! So you MUST RIGHT NOW learn the art of positive self-talk and NOT LET YOURSELF SPEAK NEGATIVELY to yourself. Accept where you are today. Tell yourself it is OKAY for today. Re-commit yourself to your healthy lifestyle and focus on one day at a time with your healthy lifestyle. The weight WILL come off!

futuresurferchick
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Ditto Valrock... I wish my *skinny* pants were size 12.... :lol: I don't mean to dismiss your concern, I just thought that was ironic. Don't worry, you'll be out of those 12s in no time if you keep at it. I agree with SlimLindy, don't stress about this number, just accept it and look to the future!

Beach Patrol
10-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah... I understand! My "skinny pants" are 6's & 8's. My "oh-well-it's-ok-I'll-deal pants" are 10's. My fat pants are 12's & 14's.

I have a couple pair of 14's that fit nicely. But most of my 12's are too tight! And yet, I bought 5 pair last night that were all 12's. So weird. I wish women's clothing were labeled like men's clothing. I just think it'd be easier somehow! This is why I RARELY buy clothes thru mail-order catalogs or on-line. I simply have to try something on before I'll buy it.

I really haven't been motivated for weight loss most of this year. I completely lost what little motivation I did have when the doc told me I probably will have to have surgery on my shoulder (again.... waaaahhhh). I cannot lift weights at all, & I love lifting! I can't even treadmill, because the natural swinging of the arms hurts my shoulder. So ... no exercise. And when I don't exercise, for some reason I just eat badly. You'd think I'd be wise & use that down time to watch my diet extra careful-like.... but NNNnoooOOOoooOooooo! And then of course, me & my doc been tampering with different meds & different dosages to get my depression under control. That kinda makes your body go wonky, too.

So anyway, lots of non-motivation going on with me the past few months. But last night's fat-pants date.... THAT always seems to motivate me! Now I just gotta find some sort of exercise I can do that won't aggravate my shoulder & that will help me burn calories.

Think, think. Think-think-think... :chin:

Mel
10-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Valrock and Futuresurferchick- your skinny pants may be bigger but YOU ARE BOTH TALL WOMEN! My skinny pants may be smaller, but I can't reach my kitchen cabinets. The grass is always greener....

Mel

Soulmia
10-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Beach Patrol: have you tried pilates? or yoga? these are all low impact exercises... check this with your doc and give it a whirl!
bout your "fat pants" My fat pants are a size 14/16.... thats currently what i'm wearing...my skinny's are 10/12....sigh.... when will i ever bring them out of the back of the closet i'll never know....

Beach Patrol
10-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Beach Patrol: have you tried pilates? or yoga? these are all low impact exercises... check this with your doc and give it a whirl!

I bought a Yoga for Beginners DVD and a Yoga/Pilates for Dummies DVD... haven't broken them out of the packaging just yet, LOL. Hmmmmm. Maybe TONIGHT is the night to do that...??? But I never considered Yoga or Pilates to be a "fat burning" kind of exercise. Does anyone here use Yoga/Pilates for their main exercise?? (Maybe that's a new thread?)

Jasmine31
10-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I haven't beren a 12 since I was 16! But I am looking forward to being there next year! I am also looking forward to perhaps getting to a size 5 next year to. ;)

futuresurferchick
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Valrock and Futuresurferchick- your skinny pants may be bigger but YOU ARE BOTH TALL WOMEN! My skinny pants may be smaller, but I can't reach my kitchen cabinets. The grass is always greener....

Mel

:lol: Point taken, Mel... I enjoy being tall for sure.

Lovestorun
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I can TOTALLY relate Beach Patrol! I did reach my goal but have been
going UP since starting birth control a few months ago! :mad:
My appetite has been out of control. :devil:

Just keep at it- Good Luck.

Soulmia
10-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I bought a Yoga for Beginners DVD and a Yoga/Pilates for Dummies DVD... haven't broken them out of the packaging just yet, LOL. Hmmmmm. Maybe TONIGHT is the night to do that...??? But I never considered Yoga or Pilates to be a "fat burning" kind of exercise. Does anyone here use Yoga/Pilates for their main exercise?? (Maybe that's a new thread?)
Yoga is an ancient Indian form of exercise that the people of the middle ages used to use to stay fit. It is not only about exercise, they teach you how to breathe and how to get in touch with your self. I did yoga for about 2 years and became much healthier...the side effect was that I dropped 10 kilos ( 22lbs) in a year! It's slow.... but if done correctly, very very effective. Since you say you can't do any other exercises.... this just might be what the doctor ordered!
I haven't tried pilates...there are very few instructors here and they charge the earth so I am sticking to the gym in my apartment complex :-)
Once I drop 22 pounds... I plan on swimming!!! That too is a good exercise.... you could float and just use your legs.... sound out your doctor before you start any exercise though
:goodluck:

Soulmia
10-26-2006, 11:09 PM

Just keep at it- Good Luck.

SEX! :lol:
I was watching Oprah the other day where she did a show on people who have lost way the unconventional way.... and one chicka actually swears by losing weight by having sex!:lol:
that might be fun?! ;)
I just got reminded of it when I read Lovestorun's comment on birth control :lol:

sh3l5
10-29-2006, 04:06 AM
I read that post and thought ouch! I wish my fat pants were a 12, mine are 14 (but I am in the UK).

isthatreallyme
10-29-2006, 04:21 AM
I read that post and thought ouch! I wish my fat pants were a 12, mine are 14 (but I am in the UK).

i kinda have to agree.... some people's goals are to be a size 10-12 (and by the way l00py you're about a 10 or so over here)

i understand how you feel, but there are a lot of people who would be thrilled to not have to buy "plus sized" clothing, let alone wear a size 12.

I guess it's all about perspective, but at size 12, it could be a lot worse.

srmb60
10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm feeling a bit rebellious this morning. DON'T DO THAT!
Get a couple pairs of control top hose maybe but DO NOT buy the bigger pants.
Get about doing the stuff you know you can do and just get back into those smaller ones. Nothing is as motivating as having nothing to wear!
I'm not being flippant here ... I know you can do this.

Grumbleworts
10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Pilates is good for losing weight...or at least inches. I did it with a friend for about a month and lost a good 2-3 inches off my waist. But I don't care for it personally. I'd rather do Taebo (which might not be a good choice with your shouldre). But you'll be sore when it stops, trust me!

suechef
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Couldn't you do the elliptical without the arm part? Just hold on to the other handles that don't move. That way your legs are moving, anyway. Ditto for exercise bike. There's almost always something you can do unless your in traction!

cheerio,
Sue

juliebee
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Beach Patrol.. I know how you feel.. I'm in exactly the same boat!
I recently had to go up to a size 12. my regular size is an 8 too. All of my 8's and 10's are packed away in my closet. it's huge motivation for me to lose because I have quite a few of them and only a few "fat pants".
Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Beach Patrol
10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Pilates is good for losing weight...or at least inches. I did it with a friend for about a month and lost a good 2-3 inches off my waist. But I don't care for it personally. I'd rather do Taebo (which might not be a good choice with your shouldre). But you'll be sore when it stops, trust me!

OMG! I hate to admit it... but TaeBo is how I hurt my shoulder in the first place! - that was in 1999... I didn't have anything done about it for three years because I kept thinking "Oh, I've pulled that muscle again!" Duh-to-me! It wasn't a pulled muscle, as I know now.

But I DID enjoy TaeBo. It was indeed a good huff-n-puff work out!

Beach Patrol
10-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Couldn't you do the elliptical without the arm part? Just hold on to the other handles that don't move. That way your legs are moving, anyway. Ditto for exercise bike. There's almost always something you can do unless your in traction!

cheerio,
Sue

That's kind of what I'm thinking of doing. The exercise bike. And maybe some lower body weights-work-out. I did try the elliptical machine & the stair stepper. Even if you don't move your arms, you have to use them for balance (at least, I do) and after a while, my shoulder starts hurting because of that.

Right now, I'm still in physical therapy for my shoulder. Doing mostly the rubber-band exercises. They're (I'm) so wimpy!! LOL!!!... I don't feel like I'm doing anything at all! And at this point, I can't even tell if it's helping that much. I just know I don't want to have the surgery again. :(

Beach Patrol
10-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Beach Patrol.. I know how you feel.. I'm in exactly the same boat!
I recently had to go up to a size 12. my regular size is an 8 too. All of my 8's and 10's are packed away in my closet. it's huge motivation for me to lose because I have quite a few of them and only a few "fat pants".
Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Thanks juliebee! It's always good to know that others know how you feel!

Incredibly cute doggy in your avatar, BTW!! :)

Grumbleworts
10-31-2006, 01:33 PM
OMG! I hate to admit it... but TaeBo is how I hurt my shoulder in the first place! - that was in 1999... I didn't have anything done about it for three years because I kept thinking "Oh, I've pulled that muscle again!" Duh-to-me! It wasn't a pulled muscle, as I know now.

But I DID enjoy TaeBo. It was indeed a good huff-n-puff work out!

That's definitely not a good idea then! I hope that you're feeling better, and I'm sure that while you think those rubber band exercises are wimpy, they are still doing what you need/want and more! Hope that you're feeling better soon!

lilybelle
10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Hang in there. I'm sure you can find some form of exercise that will help. I know it is frustrating. I have recently had nerve damage to my left ankle and wasn't able to use my treadmill for 2 months. I now can walk 1 mile again with a brace on my leg. This has been my main form of exercise and during my down time, I just used my exercise ball and did sit-ups, push-ups and leg lifts with it. I had to be super careful with eating while I wasn't able to do my routine cardio. , otherwise I would gain. It was very disheartening to me because the injury came just about 1 week after I finally reached goal. The Physical Therapy group told me to get an exercise bike and strap my bad leg to it and ride it for exercise. I never bought one because I couldn't really afford it at the time.

When I started losing weight, I wore a size 20. My skinny pants were a 16. I waited 3 months to try them on. When I did try them, they were too big and I had to buy a 14.

Pascale
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
The last time I saw a size 12 I was in school. Now I am a size 22 I would give anything to be in a 12 again.

cinnomanbratz
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM

What birth control are you on, ever since I got onto depro provera my appetite has been completely out of control,:fr: not to mention my moods swings. I'm going to change to a birth control that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect. Like Mirena, we'll see how it works. Keep your eyes on the prize chickie, no matter what! Once youv'e learn how to control the bottomless pit which birth control brings, believe me I never get full, then things will become much better. For me I have to switch, it feels like an endless cycle I feel depressed because I'm getting chunky and then I get more chunky because I'm depressed. AHHH!:tantrum:

KnitALisa
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
When I started losing weight, I wore a size 20. My skinny pants were a 16. I waited 3 months to try them on. When I did try them, they were too big and I had to buy a 14.
Hee! That's awesome, and it had to feel so good!

(Btw, lilybelle, your before and after photos are so amazing! I look at them whenever I need a good :kickbutt:)

cinnomanbratz
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
I remember the first day I bought my fat pants, I was actually shopping for my mom and my mom asked me if I wanted anything because my birthday was around the corner. I, of course, was in denial and didn't think that they would fit but to my utter dismay they did and perfectly. AHHHH Panic filled me and before I knew it the diagnosis was in I was pronounced... FAT

My fat pants are a size 14 which sucks because I am bottom heavy the main place I gain weight is on my thighs and bum. Which is also the hardest place to lose it. The upside to all this weight gain is I now have boobs, I was just bottom heavy, no boobs, well some boobs but compared to my bum. Yeah, I felt ackward and don't even get me started on trying to buy dresses. I hope my boobs stay when I lose my weight. Ok I'm going to start a new thread now.

Beach Patrol
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
What birth control are you on, ever since I got onto depro provera my appetite has been completely out of control,:fr: not to mention my moods swings.

My doctor put me on Yaz, which is a new b/c pill. I had trouble with other pills giving me massive headaches or making my skin go whack-a-whacka. And yes, sometimes gaining weight. But I haven't had that trouble with Yaz at all. In fact, my appetite is a bit less, and my it has really cleared up my skin. And the mood swings have all but disappeared.... However, I'm also taking Celexa (for depression) and between the two meds, I am feeling like "me" again. I don't eat a whole lot; and I eat much less junk (I hardly ever touch any kind of chips or anything anymore) - but I am not losing weight because I am not exercising right now. However, I have seemingly been able to maintain... so not gaining more is always a plus! :)

Gladdy
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Did you have to buy a larger size because you've been off your diet? I totally commiserate, I've been there many times. The thing that I kicked myself for every time is that a LOT of my weight re-gain was always due to overeating and binge-eating to alleviate the stress of... MY WEIGHT!

Terrific insight, Lindy! Thank you.

kiwichic
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi , I don't think I could get 1 leg half way up a size 12 :^:

should you of bought so many pairs ? having them to wear could make you complacent , where as having only 2 pairs will keep it in the front of your mind that you need to cut down , and as soon as you can get back into those old pants , get rid of all your bigger ones. Don't keep them in the house.

Beach Patrol
11-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi , I don't think I could get 1 leg half way up a size 12 :^:

should you of bought so many pairs ? having them to wear could make you complacent , where as having only 2 pairs will keep it in the front of your mind that you need to cut down , and as soon as you can get back into those old pants , get rid of all your bigger ones. Don't keep them in the house.

If I only bought 2 pair, I'd have to do more laundry! :p

And....Welllll... with my track record of losing & re-gaining, I think it's wise to keep them in the house. Because you see, I didn't last time... I gave them all away. And ended up having to BUY MORE this time. I'm so duh! :dizzy:

I actually go in the OPPOSITE direction; I keep my "skinny pants" so I can pull them out from time to time & remind myself what my goals are! - plus, I use them to gauge my progress. :^: