Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #1  

Default Beginner Gyms

I'm new here, so please bear with me if there has been a thread like this. I did a Search and nothing came out that fully answered my question.

I have never ever been to a gym before. I always ran outside, but I think joining a gym might help, especialy since I've moved and I can't really run in my neighborhood.

I want to join a gym for the month that I am home from college break and get a start there. Then I'll have the nerve to go to the college gym, which is small and everyone there is pretty seasoned, so I'm sooo intimidated.

So, I've been shopping around for beginner gyms, but I'm not sure where to go or what plan to get. I think if I join, my mom and dad might join too. We're all not extremely athletic, and could all probably loose some pounds.

I have narrowed my list down to:
  • Lakeforest Sport & Health Club
  • Ladies Workout Express
  • Gold's Gym

If anyone is around the D.C. Metro Area, that's where I'm from.

Any tips or reviews or advice would reaaally be appreciated. I really want to do this, but I know I'll probably chicken out...
somewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/190/149

Height: 5'5"

Wow, we must have an esp link or something. Tonight as I was watching The Biggest Loser I was thinking "I really should join a gym". I came here with the intention of asking a similar question.

Like you, I have never been to a gym. I have thought about it then chickened out. Well I'm tired of chickening out. I always chicken out.

I'm in California so different gyms than D.C. Everybody around here talks about 24 Hour Fitness.

Any help will be welcome.

By the way, LOVE your avatar!
DebbieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think you must live around the corner from me because Lakeforest Sport & Health club is really close to me and I usually pass by it when I go shopping. I am actually very interested in Lakeforest Sport & Health club but I currently have an inexpensive Bally's membership so it would be hard to give that up.

I think Gold's gym is pretty good as well. I think both Gold's and the Lakeforest Sport & Health club offer short term trial memberships. I would try checking both of them out.

Since you are a beginner, I don't think you need to find a specific health club tailored for beginners but what you may need to do is get a couple personal trainer sessions to learn how you can best utilize the gym.

Forgot to mention: Debbie, I used to live in California and all the 24 hour fitnesses I've been to there were always crowded unless you went during really whacky hours. I found that the Bally's was a much better gym or Gold's if you have one near you. I would also recommend getting a trial membership before you actually join a gym.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I dont know about the other two, but the Gold's Gym i went to, and maybe this was just in my town, was a meat market. Women were actually wearing make up and just pranced around...no real working out going on.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm in the DC area too and have the same question! ESP orama today! I need a place that offers childcare too. What does it usually cost, monthly, for a gym membership? We're really strapped right now but it's too cold to run outside!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Stacy - at most gyms, you will have at least some women there looking for someone. It happens at ballys. Girls wearing makeup, jewelry and clothes that don't look all too comfortable.

Valrock - There are some gyms with childcare but you have to look around. Ballys has childcare as well as most of the larger chains. Gyms can range in price from $30/month to $100/month. Some have start up fees, some don't. Since I've been a member of Ballys forever, I think I pay about $8/month but that is a rarity these days.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #7  

Default New to gym also

Hi.

I just joined a gym about 10 days ago. A new Planet Fitness opened up in the next town over and it was the price that got me. Having never joined a gym before the $19.99 a month with unlimited tanning won me over. It's a very basic gym I'm told (I have nothing to compare it with, no aerobic classes, yoga, pilates, etc.). It's sometimes crowded but I've never not been able to find a machine. This particular gym seems to have the "body builder" type guys in a separate area. I mainly stick to the cardio machines upstairs and next week I'm going to the 30 minute workout orientation.

They had a cheaper plan with no commitment, but an enrollment fee, but I chose the $19.99 a month with one year commitment because there was no enrollment fee and I'll probably use the tanning in the spring. I've not seen many good reviews on this gym online but I've been happy with it so far...but like I said I'm new to this. I can say I joined 10 days ago and haven't missed a day yet.

Good luck in your quest. You might try epinions.com or some other online places to see how your local gyms are rated by consumers.
MoNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote