PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #1  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7"

Default -waves-

Hello! My name is Gina.. I'm 19 and I live in Massachusetts. I was posting on here around a year ago (in the 100lb club), but we got flooded out of our old home and had to move. I stopped trying to lose weight after that, and had a pretty enjoyable summer. First time I lived without worrying about my weight. :P Anyway.

Yesterday I was told I have PCOS and that I'm insulin resistent. Picked up my bcp (yasmin) and metformin an hour or two after my appointment and started taking them last night. At the moment I'm only taking 1 metformin with dinner, but it's going to slowly increase til I have two with breakfast and two with dinner. My Dr. told me to start walking or doing something for 15 minutes, four times a week and to slowly increase it. I guess I'll start off there. Heh. Seeing a nutritionist in about a month.

Ahah.. anyway. -waves.- Hello
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #2  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Sounds like you have a very reasonable doctor!

Keep plugging and Im sure that with the met, exercise, and a healthy diet that the weight will come off...remember, it can be a slower process for us but that makes it more likely to stay off.

Good Luck!
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #3  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Welcome!!

I have only one peice of advice with the Met take it in the middle of the meal.

I do believe that your doctor has given you some good advice about the weight loss!!! Gradually increase the exercise and you should see a difference!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #4  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7"

Is there any specific reason you suggest taking it in the middle of the meal?
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #5  

Metformin works by keeping the sugar in foods from being absorbed by the disgestive tract. If you take it in the middle of a meal, it is nicely mixed with the food you are eating. The generic name, by the way, is Glucophage...Latin for 'sugar eater'. I hope it works well for you.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #6  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet View Post
Metformin works by keeping the sugar in foods from being absorbed by the disgestive tract. If you take it in the middle of a meal, it is nicely mixed with the food you are eating. The generic name, by the way, is Glucophage...Latin for 'sugar eater'. I hope it works well for you.
Thanks for the latin lesson...that is pretty cool . Only thing is Metformin is the generic name and glucophage is the brand name. A big distinction for me because for some reason the generic is much harder for me to tolerate than the name brand even with the extended release version.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #7  

Remember to start drinking water and cut out the whites (refined sugar, flour, etc) from your diet, you will be ahead of things when you see your nutritionist.

You'll notice better weight loss with such a simple change in your diet and the walking will drop many pounds too.

At first, I couldn't walk from my car and across 5 rows of parking spaces at work without being out of breath and sweating. Now I can walk two miles pretty fast and feel super energized. It's taken me several months and I still have a long way to go before reaching my goal, but there's a difference in me now compared to a few months ago!
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #8  
TTC #1

Height: 5'6 1/2

Hi Welcome to the wonderful world of Pcos..
LOL. i been a member for 5 years now.. Sucks.. but as long as you
use your tools. you can live happily with it..
i just started taking metformin again. makes me sick.. but i got the run arund with my doctor. soi figured just grin and bare it..
so im on 500 mg a day. Iwill increase it soon.. usually i take it b4 bed wake up thou with a sick tummy..

Good luck to you!
PrettyPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote