Exercise! - just finished my first C25K workout

futuresurferchick
10-25-2006, 01:54 PM
It was easy! and fun! :carrot:

Yay for the treadmill, a wonderful machine which has saved me from the indoor track or running outside. :dizzy: Thanks to everyone who encouraged me!

RockerGirl
10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Congrats. We all knew you could do it

softballmom
10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
:bravo:

May the running bug bite you, too! Happy running....

Meg
10-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Today is the beginning of something wonderful. :)

YP1
10-26-2006, 01:12 AM
Well done, and stick with it!

WindyCityChick
10-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi there - I just started the C25K program this week too - although I have to say that it has not been "easy" for me. Never ran before, so my body needs more conditioning than yours, apparently. Anyway, let's both keep it up!

Katiebobatie
10-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I started last week, but I'm doing week1 over again this week :) so we'll be right about in the same place :)

Lydia227
10-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Whoo Hooo!!!

What a great feeling isn't it?! It only gets better from here! :hug:
Congratulations.

futuresurferchick
10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Thanks Rockergirl, Softballmom, Meg, Helen and Lydia...It IS the beginning of something wonderful and I definitely will stick with it. A lot of my friends think I'm crazy so I gotta prove them wrong now... lol. You are all so inspiring.

That's cool Windycitychick and Katie that we are all starting out. I do have a bit of aerobic "experience" already so I'm alright so far... don't worry that you had to repeat week 1 though or you struggled a bit with it.. who knows, I may have to do the same soon enough. Week 2 might be too much when I get there, but I'm just gonna take it one workout at a time. :woops: My next one is tomorrow morning. Are you guys running outside or using a treadmill?

WindyCityChick
10-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I've been running (well, jogging) outside, not on a treadmill. Very pleased that I made it out there today, even though it's a cold and rainy day here in Chicago. I don't have a good place for a treadmill at home, and I'm not a huge fan of my health club, so I am going to try to continue outdoors for as long as the weather allows it. I like getting out into the fresh air, and I'm only a few blocks from a park with a good running trail.

watch_it_break
10-27-2006, 12:04 PM
i did the first C25k workout the other day... :D glad to see there are other beginners around here!

although, i did it on an elliptical (i tend to have knee problems, so i want to strengthen my legs before hitting the treadmill or pavement.) i'm wondering, though, is that really going to do the conditioning i want it to do? or am i being too easy on myself? i only ask, because i haven't seen anyone mentioning use of an elliptical with the C25K program - it seems like everyone is either on a treadmill, or taking it outside.

i'm thinking i should go through all, or most of the program on the elliptical, and then go through it again (at least the later weeks) on a treadmill, then take it outside.

any ideas/opinions/suggestions? :) i'm all ears :listen:

boarderchick
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
YAY!!!! Good for you! See my note on your prior thread. I posted it before I knew of your success. Way to go!!

carafre
10-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Yay for you!!!!!! Congrats! What an accomplishment.:carrot:

Miss_Cretia
10-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone; I did my first C25K workout today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sweating like a pig. I usually walk for exercise, do TaeBo (about 30 mins), pilates. So I'm somewhat OK w/ aerobics. The usual walk is for about an hour outside (though I do have a treadmill). I did the C25K on the treadmill. I loved the cool running website. It indicated to start slow and not to worry about speed, but I wanted to know how slow everyone else started out. I know you should go at a comfortable pace. Today, to start, I had the TM set at 2.8 (I didn't want to kill myself, because if you haven't ran or jogged before, I figured that this could be a killer). It was a good workout and I was sweating real good; I do have prob periodically w/ knee pain. I'm ok today; we'll see what tomorrow holds. I know that is slow, but was anyone else a little scared to put it on 3 or so to start?

I did my stretching before & after; and took a long warm bath afterwards. I felt so doggoned good to have started this program! I am going to stick w/ my walking on alternate days outside also.

futuresurferchick
10-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for althe encouragement boarderchick and carafre and congrats to those of you like miss cretia, watch_it_break and windycitychick who are also starting out on the C25k... how's it going for everyone?? I'm doing my third workout tomorrow so it's the last one of the first set.

watch_it_break, I don't think it's a big deal if you start on the elliptical. The elliptical is a different kind of movement but you're still getting an aerobic workout which will make it so that you can last longer and go harder without getting out of breath. So I would say it's a positive way to start out if it's how you are most comfortable. :)

Miss cretia, I'm not sure what speed I had it at because the one treadmill I used measured speed in miles/hr and the other in km/hr, but anyway, I don't think it matters what speed you're at. Maybe as you go along you should just push that number up a little and see what you can do. What I've been doing is, when I get to the last set of running, I run full out as fast as I can sustain for the one minute. I don't know if it's a good idea (might be hard on my feet/knees) but I will stop if I have any problems. Anyway I know what you mean about feeling good after starting the program! I'm really happy to have such a great goal to be working towards. :carrot:

watch_it_break
10-30-2006, 12:14 AM
futuresurferchick: that's what i kinda figured... guess i just feel a teensy bit "wimpy" about it. just have to remind myself that it's far less wimpy than sitting on the couch, convinced that i can't do it at all ;) hehe

after the first day, i waited two days to give my knees a break, and tried the 2nd day... first on the elliptical, but my legs protested that, so i ended up just walking on the treadmill... i DID throw in a couple of 60 second spurts of jogging, and did OK-ish... my breathing was fine, my heart wasn't fit to burst, but my legs were hurting and i feared if i pushed for a 3rd run, it wouldn't be good (i've already had to do PT for my knees once, this year, for runner's knee... and i wasn't even a runner!), so i kept to a brisk walk. i'll try it for a few days this week as well, but i think i'll be sticking to Week 1 for a while, until my legs are strong enough to handle the impact...

i refuse to let myself wimp out, though!
i know i can do it... i've just gotta work a little harder at it
:dust: :dizzy:

futuresurferchick
10-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, you *can* do it and you're doing it the right away. You definitely have to work within your own body's limits. Last January I had a slight foot injury from running too hard when my body wasn't used to it (and I was a lot heavier then too). My foot hurt for months. So this time around I'm being smarter about it and not pushing too hard too fast.

carafre
10-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Congrats to all. :carrot: :carrot:

When I run, I have a couple discomfort zones on my calves. They go away after the first ten minutes. No pain so far. I think the best thing is to listen to your body and take it slow when you need to. I am still new to running. This is the start of my 4th week. I love it. I am now able to run a full mile and a half. I crave running each day but make myself take a day off after every 4 days of running. I don't know if that's right but it's working.

What about everyone else? How many days off do you take? What time of day do you run? I wish I could run in the morning. It doesn't work for me. I feel all stuffy and icky. So, I run about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It gives me a great boost before dinner.

Happy running to all!
carafre

jelynn
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Yay everyone!! I am starting week 7 and I have really taken things sooo slowly this time. Last time I tried this I had mystery pains in my foot and calves and think I was just pushing a little too much.

Carafre- I prefer to get my running done in the morning, but not first thing. Like 9:30-10am. A couple hours after breakfast. I have also done it during naptime which works well for me. I have been pretty consistent with the MWF schedule while doing this C25K with an occasional Saturday thrown in. But like I said, I was taking it really easy and didn't want to overdo, so most weeks it was just the 3 workouts. From now on, I think I will add the Saturday to have 4 runs a week.

Miss_Cretia
10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok, day two down, nine weeks to go (ugh). Feel pretty good right now, though. Pushed TM up to 2.9; gonna keep inching my way up. I'm so afraid these knees are gonna hurt.

Hangin' in!

carafre
10-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Miss_Cretia - You are doing great! Go slow and inch your way up. Listen to your body and keep hanging in there...:D

jelynn - Good for you. Sounds like you are doing great. Your running schedule sounds terrific. :carrot:

I did my 50 minute run/walk this afternoon. I run a mile then walk 5 minutes. Then I run the rest of mile 2 and some of three. walk the rest. Feels so good!

carafre

futuresurferchick
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
I just got back from the gym where I started week 2. It definitely got a bit harder but I was pleasantly surprised at my ability. :cool: One thing that sucks is I often get stitches/cramps in my side... I try to do the breathing exercises that they advise on the C25K web site and they help a bit but it doesn't usually go away til I'm done working out. Maybe that will get better with time.

WindyCityChick
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone, just checking in to see how all of the running newbies are doing. I just finished week 3 day 2, and feel great...I even went ahead and ran for 3 minutes on all the intervals to see if I could do it, and was able to do it easily. In fact, I felt like I could have continued for more (but decided to wait for next week before I try anything longer). Amazing, considering I felt like I was going to die before I made it through the 60 second intervals just 2 weeks ago. I was skeptical when I started this program as to whether I would really be able to do a 5k after 9 weeks, but I'm becoming a believer! Hope everyone else is progressing along as well.

futuresurferchick
11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
That is so awesome, WindyCityChick. I'm still skeptical at the beginning of Week 2 but I'm willing to believe. lol

Miss_Cretia
11-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm only on week 1; but actually I've already been running for 2 mins and walking for 2 mins d/t I was already pretty active w/ walking, etc. Just being sure to stretch bef & after d/t I don't want to hurt these blasted knees. I am keeping the TM speed low though at 2.9. I don't want to over do it. I want to be successful @ this.