Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Wk of Oct 23/06

Hi everyone!

I had a pretty busy weekend--Saturday I went to the rugby game and after the regular game a group of "old boys" had a game with the younger players. It was a lot of fun to watch. I wondered how many of the older guys had a hard time moving on Sunday because they hadn't played in years. It was kind of a tribute to the player that recently died suddenly. At times it was a little bittersweet but all in all it was a good feeling.

DS #1 proposed to his girlfriend on Saturday so it's official--he's engaged! They are talking about a Fall wedding next year; we'll see what transpires. Next year will be a big one for us--DS #1 graduates from college, his dad turns 50, we'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and whatever comes around.

I didn't have a good day Saturday with eating because I did a lot of grazing which wasn't good. Friday evening we ordered out and I had Greek fries and enjoyed every bite of them even though afterwards my stomach felt a little off. It's amazing how you feel when you eat something you're really not accustomed to eating on regular basis anymore.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Hi to Susan, Pam, Lala, Liz, Lisa, Julie! Anyone else lurking please feel free to jump in!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Melissa, thanks for getting the thread started. I was so busy yesterday. Congrats on the engagement. Wow!! 2007 will be very busy in your household. That's how it is, everything comes at the same time.

What are Greek fries?

I had a busy weekend also. Saturday was a huge yard sale. Found some good deals. It was extremely hot--92 degrees. Then I coordinated a wedding--ack!! The bride and bridesmaids were 20 minutes late and the wedding started 30 minutes late. It was nervewracking. That is just plain rude! There were 10 bridesmaids, 10 groomsmen, a flower girl, and 2 ringbearers. All in all, I lost 1.5# from all the running around. I was exhausted that night.

On Sunday, I had a concert with my group. It went well, one of our better performances. Then I had a rehearsal for the new play I'm in. I tell you, I have to go to work to relax!

Eating, I did well. I was too busy to eat.

Remember I said it was 92 degrees on Saturday? Today it will barely get out of the 60's. It was 50 and windy this morning. I was freezing.
Hello to all!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #3  

Lisa: I had watched part of the Tampa Bay game and they were showing the temp on the field at 100! It's cold up here--only 43 and some areas have seen some snow. I can't imagine being late for a wedding and then starting so late! How terrible!! Greek fries are french fries, Greek hamburger sauce (it may be a regional thing up here) and then cheese sauce--it's a cholesterol, calorie laden nightmare but it's soooo good. It's not something I can eat all the time but once in a while we get them and I enjoy them. Of course the boys eat a good amount of them and so they "save" me from eating too many.

This weekend DH and I are going to a wine/beer festival at a ski resort and it sounds like fun. I've never been to one but he has. They showcase local wineries and microbreweries and they also have food there. I'm looking forward to it. As long as the weather doesn't get nasty we're planning on going.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #4  

Oooh, Greek fries sound so bad!! I would like to try them. I don't know what Greek hamburger sauce is?? The wine/beer festival sounds like fun.

DH and I have two parties this weekend: on Saturday is an Oktoberfest party and on Sunday is a Halloween costume party/40th surprise birthday party (boy will she be surprised). All we've been talking about is the costume party.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone! Drive by right now, I'm sooo freaking busy.

Melissa! Wow.

Greek fries, yum.

Hi Lisa --you can coordinate Melissa's son's wedding!

Hi to everyone else.

I'm running late for class. I'm in Paris Thursday-Monday of next week. What a life I lead...

more later,

lala
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #6  

Just a quick note--need to vent, too.

We have a new voice mail system at work; supposed to save money! Well...it isn't working half the time. My customers are so upset. DH is upset; he never knows what he will get when he calls. Grrr I'm on my second work order with the telecommunications department.

I was told last night of a great trip to go to theaters in London, part of a tour for some high schoolers. I'm seriously thinking of going. The end of the trip is in Italy--aaaah!

Been doing good food-wise. I think I'm down a couple #s.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #7  

Lala: I wasn't sure if you were here or on the road Sounds like things are really crazy for you! Will you get to relax when you go to London next week?

Lisa: Greek sauce is basically browned hamburger, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic, onion and it's spicy. It's one of those things that I consider a "comfort food", lol. I had trouble about a month ago with my Sprint phone--the voicemail system got messed up and my greeting was switched with someone elses, it was a mess. It's so frustrating! If you can go on the trip with the high schoolers I'd go for it--I'm so glad I went with the group from the university. I'd like to make a return trip!

So where is everyone??? Pam, Susan, Julie, Liz?? I hope everything is okay with you!

It's still pretty cold here (42) but it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. The past couple of days have been pretty dreary (rain & cloudy).
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #8  

Hello Ladies,

I had a very nice weekend. The dinner Saturday night was a lot of fun. It was nice to see everyone all dressed up and looking mighty fine! I got a few compliments on my dress and DH looked pretty snazzy in his tux. You all would have been proud of me, I ordered the vegetarian delight which consisted of portebello mushrooms, carrots, squash and brocolli. I had a little bit of cheesecake for dessert and had mucho wine. Ahh well a new week so I better get back on program!

Melissa the greek fries sound delicious. I am however a french fry addict so it's probably best if I don't try the greek ones.
Congrats to your son. You sure will have a busy year. Another thing we have in common...my DH turns 50 next year also..in January It's cold here today too only in the 40's. Yuck this weekend we set the clocks back. I hate that time of year.

Lisa you have a great weekend planned. So what will you and your DH be wearing to the costume party??? That trip sounds fabulous, I think you should go!

lala enjoy Paree

OK back to work...I'll talk to you tomorrow!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #9  

Hi all. A drive-by from me as well. It's nuts here. I was out of the office Monday and Tuesday and it isn't pretty...

My weekend eating was like last week's eating. $$^#$#^#$^>@#& Hallowe'en candy!!! I have been running and have started strength training again so the scale doesn't reflect what I've been putting in my mouth. thank god.

It's cool here the past few days. My little 7-yr-old friend said that it "smelled like snow" the other day, but we haven't seen any yet.

Mindfulness course is going well. We started meditation on Monday nite. Way cool.

Susan
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Bonjour y'all.

Melissa - London is next month, only 11 days from my return from paris.

yikes.

I am swamped, up until freaking midnight catching up on work and class.

Must take Ernest to the kennel in a few. He's a good traveller that one.

Susan - the candy is on top of the fridge until halloween. Out of sight.

I am sooo mad at myself re: weight.

Hi to everyone! I'll post tomorrow from Chicago.

lala
Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #11  

Melissa: I don't think we have Greek fries here, but we do have poutine - an evil concoction of french fries, gravy and cheese curds. I have never tasted it - mostly because I'm a purist when it comes to my fries. I like 'em best with salt and vinegar.

lala: Now don't go getting all mad at yourself. Take a deep breath. You'll get the click; you just need to be ready to act on it when it comes your way.

Lisa: I meant to tell you that I enjoyed the newspaper article (I think it was last week). You wow me with your talent. An acquaintaince is appearing in Murder in the Cathedral at the end of the month. Do you know it?

Pam: I am proud of your vegetarian choice at the soiree. Have to admit though; I love veggies so much that it never feels like a sacrifice to have them instead of something less healthy. I'm thankful for that.

The mindfulness course is going well. I think I may be noticing a difference already. Generally, I feel calmer, yet I'm getting more accomplished. There just might be something to this after all. We started meditation this week. It was really difficult to focus last night but I got through the 10 minutes. Some days, I think you just have to fake it....

Susan
Old 10-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #12  

Pam: We do seem to have a lot of common threads in our lives! Like you, I love my fried foods but really don't eat them that much anymore because I usually end up feeling "gross" afterwards. I'm not a fan of turning back the clocks either...it seems like we just "sprung" forward! I had the vegetarian option at the Harvest Gala and was totally satisfied with it and didn't miss the higher points foods.

Lala: Don't be mad at yourself--just focus forward...it's so easy to beat ourselves up and it doesn't get us anywhere. I'm just waiting to see if there will be any "tweaks" to the program that might just spark some more interest/challenges for me. I could sure use it!

Susan: It took me a while when I was taking the yoga class to actually get my mind to rest and really get relaxed; once I did though I felt really good. It takes time. As far as the candy goes, I don't buy it until the last minute because I don't want to be tempted. I'm not one to eat a whole lot of sweets but when it's available it's another story. I try to buy candy I "don't" like Good for you on running and staying active.

It was really cloudy this morning and the sun came out while my friend and I were walking over the lunch hour and them temps are slowly increasing (46). I don't mind the cold as long as the sun is shining!

I had a horrible afternoon/evening of eating--we had soft tacos for dinner and then I got into the tortilla chips, etc. Gotta move them out of sight! Hope everyone is having a good day!!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #13  

Hi ladies,

I think I'm coming down with my first cold of the season. I'm feeling kind of achy and blahhhhh. I think I may leave work a little early today and try and get some rest. Don't have much planned for the upcoming weekend. We were going to paint the first floor hall, but I don't think I'm going to be feeling up to it.

Melissa Yes I do like fried foods but can no longer eat them like I did when I was younger, they usually give me an upset stomach now. Yesterday I bought some Kit KAt bars to give out to the trick or treaters. The kids who live in my neighborhood will be going out on Saturday night instead of Tuesday. Of course I'm sure we'll have more kids from outside of the neighborhood who will be out on Tuesday night. We usually get a lot of trick or treaters. The weather here is cool and we may get some snow showers on Saturday

Susan Yes I like my fries with either ketchup or salt and vinegar. Glad you are enjoying the mindfulness course.

lala you have a whirlwind of activity around you. Try and slow down.

Hi Lisa

Ok its close to 4pm time for me to wrap it up and call it a day. I'll talk to you later!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #14  

Hi ladies. What plans for the weekend?

I'm starting mine early. Having lunch with a friend who I haven't seen in years today, then I have the afternoon off. I will try to get some of my condo assn work done. Plan to run later this afternoon if the weather holds.

I'm invited out to dinner tomorrow night. I'm thankful to have plans because my ex is having the annual Hallowe'en bash and I'm feeling rather left out... I think my sister may be attending. She's been steering clear of me this week and it may be because she doesn't want to upset me. Too late---someone beat her to it....

We're supposed to get some wild weather tomorrow. Don't know if I'll be doing a long run outside or not. There's always the gym and the evil treadmill.

Have a good one,

Susan
Old 10-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #15  

Susan love the new picture....have fun at lunch today.
Closed Thread