Carb Counters - Weekly Chat.....October 23-29th

View Full Version : Weekly Chat.....October 23-29th

lady_adnerb
10-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, the weekend wasn't good. Told DH I don't know why I do this as I know that I'll end up with the carb-withdrawal headache again. UGH! I did step on the scale last Friday and it was pretty ok. Didn't go up (yet) but didn't go down (yet) either. lol. I've got to start getting my head straight as my sisters, 1 niece and I are going in March to get our bellybuttons' pierced. I'd like it a flatter than what it is. So I've got to get going. Maybe now that I've got a set plan on that I'll work harder.
Hope you all had a great weekend :)

RobinW
10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
oooooo a belly button ring, Cool!!

All is good here, restarting again this morning.

I start my 2 day workshop tomorrow that I won at the trade show. Im excited about it!!

Other than that, nothing much new in my little corner of the world.

Have a great day ladies.

lilybelle
10-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Good morning everyone. I am starting to feel better. My eating has been on program and the scale is still being kind to me. I plan to start walking again tomorrow if I'm able. Hope everyone has a great day.

nursekat
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi, I'm just glad to be here. I'm still on cloud 9 from the 10 pound weight loss I discovered this morning!!! I know it'll slow way down real soon, but it's great motivation. If I lose 2 pounds a week from now on, I'll be very happy.
So far I'm not counting carbs, just eating what is allowed on Atkins induction. I figure when I quit losing, I'll start counting, and also motivate myself to exercise.
Just a little about me: I live in the midwest, which is very cold right now! I am a RN, working as a house supervisor in a psych facility for children & adolescents, and have a wonderful husband and 2 daughters, + a teen stepdaughter. OH, and many animals! So I'm busy.

lilybelle
10-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi Kat, glad you joined us. Congrat's on the 10 lb. loss. Great job. When I started Atkins, I think I lost about 8 lbs. the first week and 6 the second week. Then, lost 2 lbs. a week for quite a long time. The wt. really did come off quickly. I had a couple 3-4 week stalls along the way, but mostly it was when I got pretty close to my goal. I reached my goal about 3 1/2 months ago and am maintaining pretty well (have lost a few more lbs.). I plan to continue this way of eating for life, because it works and I don't feel starved. I am glad that you are liking this way of eating and having great success with it.

lrgnlvly
10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, I joined the site a few weeks ago and I was trying the eat large meals in the morning and smaller ones at night. However, I know that I am carb intolerant and well the 4 lbs I lost, well I found all but one. So after going to the doctor this morning and discussing low-carb eating with her, I am back to what worked for me in the past. She did not kick against it, just wanted to be sure that I didn't go on some "meat" only plan.

I eat green vegetables and those that have low carb content. So I will be doing my Induction for the next two weeks. Wish me luck.

lilybelle
10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Irgnlvly, Welcome back. Wishing you the best of success with your wt. loss plans. My doctor is the one that encouraged me to do Low Carb. I eat meat , but I also eat a lot of salad and green veggies. I think that I definitely eat a lot healthier than I used to eat. Which was mostly junk food, and soda.

carolr3639
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Lily, I can see you must be feeling better as you are back to really POSTING!!!

carolr3639
10-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Lily, once you said you ate fruit and didn't think that hurt you loss. Did you do that from the beginning?

carolr3639
10-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Me again. Lily, when I search your posts, only 600 come up. What do they do with the older ones?

lilybelle
10-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi carol, I don't know what they do with the older posts. I have eaten fruit all along and it hasn't hurt me. Now if I eat extra bread I gain. Extra veggies no gain. Lately my biggest challenge has been Peanut Butter. I was eating it daily and it made me have strong cravings for sweets. So, I quit buying it. I can't seem to regulate myself portion-wise with it. Anytime I had it, I'd go over on my carb total for the day.

RobinW
10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Good Morning

Glad your starting to feel better Lily. :)

Im up and at 'em this morning. My workshop starts at 9, but I have to hit the post office before I go. Plus a little bit of work in my office first....so I thought Id sneak a minute or 2 on here before I head off for the day.

Eating is better, exercise still isnt as good as it should be.

Have a great day ladies.

angiepangie1
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Irgnlvly, hang in there. You can do it! Low carb is a great way to lose weight, eat healthier, feel great and not go hungry.

Lily, glad you are feeling a little better!

Kat, I'm with you. On cloud 9 after losing 10 pounds the first week. I know that won't happen the second week or any other week for that matter. But I have set my goals pretty much based on 2 or 2 1/2 pounds per week.

I am a little aggravated right now though. I lost 10 pounds the first week, which ended Saturday. It is now Tuesday and I haven't lost another pound. I wasn't expecting a plateau this soon. I am still under 20 carbs a day. Anyone got any insight on this?

Thanks!
Angie

beach bum
10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Have to type with one hand.I hurt my left hand driving home from our canaster card game,yesterday afternoon.Started this post at 9:33 and I"ll still be here intil 3. Don't make fun of me as the spelling will be horrible.Can't type anymore hand is hurting.

Will post later

Hugs:) BB

carolr3639
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
How do you decide "how much" to eat on Atkins? Seems like I'm always hungry.

carolr3639
10-24-2006, 01:56 PM
What's the main difference between Atkins and South Beach?

lilybelle
10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone,
BB, sorry about the hand, hope it's better soon.
Carol, I eat when I'm hungry. Some days I am hungrier than others. Exercise makes me hungrier it seems. I try to keep my carbs at 20-25 daily, even now. I do go over at times. (especially if I eat some fruit, which doesn't tend to cause a gain). I have never used the South Beach plan, but from what I have heard it is more restrictive of carbs in Phase 1, and more liberal with them as you go along. From what I have been told, a lot of Doctors recommend SBD. From what I have learned, most people lose wt. quickly with both plans in the beginning. Atkins people tend to reach goal faster. This may or may not be true.

lady_adnerb
10-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Carol: If you're on induction try and stay under 20 G. of carbs. Don't forget the water. You also have to decide if you're TRULY hungry or if it's a mind trick. That's my problem lately---the mind plays games.

Lily: Glad to see you're feeling better. Did you got to the doc? If so, what'd they say?

BB: Sorry to hear about your hand. Hope it feels better soon!

Robin: Hope you enjoy your workshop!

Angie: Without seeing what you're eating/drinking it's hard to say what the reason could be. Don't give up though! Keep up the great work!!

lrgnlvly: Welcome :)

Kat: I never counted carbs either. I looked into it at least once a week to make sure I had been within the right range..but otherwise never worried about it.

Our pig is done so now our freezer is well stocked with meat. Of one type or another. Now it's just a matter of deciding what I'm hungry for....and how to make it. Did well yesterday-but low on water intake. So need to work on that again. I'm not going to step on the scale until I get the eating under control. At the rate I'm going I'm afraid to. :wave: hi everyone

lilybelle
10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi Brenda, I did go to the doctor last Friday, he said it was sinus infection and "a touch of bronchitis". The antibiotics helped and I feel much better. No longer coughing. Headaches are much better and no fever now, also joint pain is much better. I may try to get back on the treadmill this evening.

You will have lots of meat with that pig in the freezer. I put a pork roast in the crock pot to cook for today. Better save room in freezer for a deer too. I was given 2 packs of antelope steaks from a friend who went on a "safari hunt". Not sure yet what to make out of these. Have you ever cooked this?

carolr3639
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, I've taken the plunge. Really, I've never lost much weight doing anything except when I am really sick for several months. Then they put you on prednisone and forget it!!!! I even walked 6 mi. a day when I was first on it and that didn't do a thing. So if this works it will be a first for me. Today I had sausage and egg for bk, summersausage and soy milk for snack, salad with bacon for lunch and I am making veggie soup for later. I used a soup bone and added green beans, cauliflower, and eggplant. Can you believe I still have a table of veggies in my garage that I need ot use up soon? I wonder if you can freeze eggplant.

carolr3639
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I was just browsing some of the SB recipes and they suggested making french toast out of eggplant........a way to use up my eggplant!!!!!!!!

lilybelle
10-24-2006, 09:49 PM
carol, I'm glad to see that you are willing to give Atkins a try. As we have discussed , I'm still on prednisone and have been on it for almost 4 yrs. now. Absolutely no other "diet" worked while I was on it, but this has. My biggest problem with everything else was that I'd quit because I was starving all the time.
My Aunt and my MIL both started Atkins almost 3 months ago and they have lost 26 and 22 lbs. They are thrilled. They are both in their 60's and have tried about every possible "diet" on earth. They have adapted well to this way of eating and say they aren't hungry now.
For me, the biggest challenge was finding something that I could live with and not feel starved. If I get hungry now, I eat extra protein and it fills me up without adding more carbs. It only takes minor adjustments to feed the rest of my family. For instance, tonite I cooked a pork roast, salad and green beans and made some potatoes for the family , but no potatoes for me. My DH would think his throat was cut if he didn't get potatoes and mac-n-cheese once in a while. It doesn't bother me at all to not eat these.

lady_adnerb
10-24-2006, 11:01 PM
The "I'm upset so I'm going to eat what I want and to heck w/weight" hit me tonight. Youngest DD threw a fit (won't go into it) which upset me and of course I ate junk upon junk. DANG! Back to water and LC tomorrow!!

Lily--never had antelope so can't give you any idea of how to make it. And I hear you on the saving room for venison. I should show you what my arm looks like after shooting 2 boxes of shells this weekend (my scope broke after almost 1 box--trying to sight it in). Lovely shade of purple!! lol

needtolose4me2
10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi all. Just checking in. It's nice to see some new names here!
Welcome Kathi and Irvngly!
I'm trying to pick myself up after having a nutrionist tell me to stop doing atkins today! She told me that is why I am so tired all the time. and that there is no way around it but to "carb up" and proceeded to give me a copy of the new food pyramid! "see", she said, " carbs is the biggest section on the food pyramid, you HAVE to have carbs"! yadda yadda yadda!
I did expect my cholesterol to be better than it was though.
I can't really think of any way to modify what I'm doing.
Well, we shall see! I'm to beat to think about it tonight! just want a hot shower and to go to bed. Not even up to my exercise today!
Hope everyone is doing well.
Maggie

lilybelle
10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Brenda, sorry to hear about the arm. I haven't sited my gun in yet this yr. I'm sure we will do that soon. Bow season starts the end of this month and I like to bow hunt.
Maggie, sorry to hear your news from the nutritionist. I don't know what my Cholesterol level is. I am having it repeated in December. I'm sticking with this WOE no matter what, it's that or gain back the weight for me, which would make me more unhealthy than I am.

nursekat
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm soo excited!! The family had spaghetti for dinner (pasta is my weakness), and I didn't touch it, didn't even want to!!:carrot: Yeah me, yeah lc! LOL

Brenda - That's what I want for Xmax - a pig in the freezer! :hun:

Carol - South Beach is a little more libral with carbs, such as whole wheat breads, etc. It does not encourage counting carbs at all, just eating healthy carbs, after induction. However, the down side is it is also low fat. My problem with SB was I always felt hungery, and after the initial great weight loss, nothing.

BB - Sorry to hear about your hand; hope it feels better soon!

Lily - Glad you're feeling better!

Kat

Arkansas Kel
10-25-2006, 05:35 AM
Lilybele: Glad to have you back!!!

Nursekat: Congrats, those losses are always a high!!! YA, down w/ spaghetti. Once in a while I throw a little Dreamfields pasta into a recipe. I’ll go mostly meat & veggies w/ pasta for “seasoning” maybe once a week. Ha, reverse cooking. It’s like a bigger treat than cake. I just made It. sausage, tomatoes, onion, garlic with a spattering of rotini (dreamfields) & thought I’d died & gone to Italy. Serve small portion with a salad – gourmet!

carolr3639: There are legal fruits on some Atkins phases like straw/blueberries, cantaloupe etc. As far as how much to eat, eat until full. If you can’t tell what full is (I so understand – I’m a buffet queen in stretch pants myself), decide in ADVANCE what is reasonable. Then I eat that much, & wait. Sometimes I wait 20-30 mins & think – NOPE, still hungry. Then I decide on another reasonable portion of low carb to add bulk – hard veggies, meat, eggs – to my belly. If I don’t want the raw peppers & celery or the 2 boiled eggs, I’m not actually hungry, I’ve got munchies. Then go do something else. Ok, the next bargain is “ok, I can eat more ____ only after I do ____ 1st (ex: 2 mins on stair machine, or weed my flowerbed, or walk around the block, or wash the dishes & put the food away (out of sight out of mind works at times), or check in on the 3fatchicks website (it’s a wonder worker sometimes), or any other small task that requires you to focus & zone out for a few minutes). & sometimes, you gotta have a hot fudge sundae – you’ve done everything to avoid it, you’ve fought the urge, just eat the SOB & eat it slow & guilt free – savor whatever about it you couldn’t do without & get over it. Start fresh afterwards or call it an “indulgence” & don’t count it. Sometimes a girl just has to have it.

angiepangie1: Plateaus happen! Hold tight on your course. One sight talks of the “whoosh fairy,” meaning, you hold at one weight for what seems a lifetime, then WHOOSH, you were visited by the whoosh fairy one night & you can tell because you hop on the scales & BAM several pounds suddenly fell off. If only she left a dollar under my pillow for the pounds! Ah, heck, she can have them for free. If the plateau holds a long time – try adjusting your carbs up or down a bit & changing exercise patterns – try a new exercise to tip the balance.

Beach Bum: Canasta – now that’s a challenging game! Sorry about your hand. Hope it heals fast.

Wow wordy thread, maybe I should check in more! THis weekend I was a bad bad girl. I stayed on track through 2 of the worst nights ever at my job. I'm an RN. We had multiple emergencies on my floor at once, I ran like a cheetah on speed until I couldn't have done another step, then was behind on everything else. It was bad. 2 nights in a row, after day shift was behind from the same sorts of nightmares, leaving us a lot of leftover tasks just to finish. Night 3, although much easier, I broke. I ate Sonic (a drive in where I live). Oh, I didn't just eat Sonic, I ate the worst. Large tater tots, food long chili dog (bun and all) and a large strawberry cheesecake shake. OINK!!! Then went home and crashed. Now I'm trying to get back on track today. Not touching the scales for a few days!!!

lady_adnerb
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Maggie: Yup, gotta love those nutritionists and their food pyramids. I'm curious though--if the pyramid is so perfect....how come they have a "new" one created? :lol: Good luck on the cholesterol and have you checked into herbal stuff?

Lily: Bow hunting started a while ago here. I got a bow license...now just have to get the bow fixed and practice. I've never gone before. lol. Would like to take my camera along as well as the bow :)

Kat: WTG on skipping the spaghetti! Great accomplishment--keep up the great work!

Kel: You've got a great attitude! You can get back on track :)

Well, besides the puffy eyes, headache and wanting to crawl back into bed (but had to get up to put recyclables out) I'm not feeling too bad from the carbs. But I don't want to make that a habit. I need to get legal "cheats" in the house. And also some celery. I need something to crunch :)

carolr3639
10-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, my first day wasn't so good. Oh, I ate just fine but I was so hungry. I would have thought I had upped my prednisone again but I didn't. I was also tired and figity. This morning I am tired, too. But I have figured out quite a few low carb meals as I still have a table full of veggies in the garage including eggplant, cauliflower and beans. That garage is about the temp of a normal fridge right now. And having a farmer veterinarian for a husband we a have 2 freezers full of lamb, beef, pork, etc.

carolr3639
10-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Does anyone ever get sick of salad and is there and alternative to it? Lily, are you back to normal yet?

Arkansas Kel
10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Ladyadnerb: way to go, back on track, load up on allowable cheats. We didn’t get overweight because we’re not good eaters – gotta have something to munch. I boil a bunch of eggs and shell them, keep lots of fresh legal veggies (sometimes cut up in advance) plus dips for them, a few low carb bars, mini burger patties – I can usually open the fridge, grab a see through container of severally items and make a snack plate in a minute. It’s often a “cheat” saver.

Carolr3630: Lots of alternatives to salad!!! Mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower (steam or boil or microwave them (doesn’t matter as long as cooked soft), throw in blender with butter, salt and pepper – and viola – yummy. We even ate those when not on low carb. Another favorite at our house – fry a little bacon in little pieces, fish out crispy bacon, throw in pkg thawed spinach, toss in grease until done, add bacon back in and a few slivered almonds – another favorite even not when low carbing. Creamed spinach with cream cheese, nutmeg – oh so good. Hunt through the recipes, the list goes on!!! Check into some low carb cookbooks – my favorite is Dana Carpender – anything by her is usually a hit at my house.

JerseyGyrl
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi all. Just checking in. It's nice to see some new names here!
Welcome Kathi and Irvngly!
I'm trying to pick myself up after having a nutrionist tell me to stop doing atkins today! She told me that is why I am so tired all the time. and that there is no way around it but to "carb up" and proceeded to give me a copy of the new food pyramid! "see", she said, " carbs is the biggest section on the food pyramid, you HAVE to have carbs"! yadda yadda yadda!
I did expect my cholesterol to be better than it was though.
I can't really think of any way to modify what I'm doing.
Well, we shall see! I'm to beat to think about it tonight! just want a hot shower and to go to bed. Not even up to my exercise today!
Hope everyone is doing well.
Maggie

NEW food pyramid....hmmmm, there is a red flag right there!! As the "nutritionist" stated Maggie...."Carbs are the biggest section on the food pyramid...you HAVE to have carbs" Is it any wonder why obesity is run rampant! IF this "nutritionist" had any education about the Atkins lifestyle...she would know Atkins is LOW carb...it is NOT NO CARB!!! As for your cholestrol, I'm with Lady Adnerb....try herbal supplements. They are much safer for you than the drugs most Dr's seem so quick to be giving so many of their patients. Think about it, the guidelines for sugar & cholestrol have all been changed....who benefits from it...the Dr's & the drug companies!!! Ok...end of rant:o

carolr3639
10-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I tried the eggplant french toast and it was great! Didn't even use egg but cooked slices in a little butter and topped with a few thawed strawberries and spenda. The soup I made yesterday is better today. I've never tried the caulifower thing but will as I still have some from the garden that I need to use. Seems like the possibilities are endless. In my soup the cauliflower took the place of potatoes and the eggplant took the place of the noodles I ususally put in. I remember making fried potato skins from Dana Carpenter's book and they were fabulous. They did seem a little indulgent, though.

beach bum
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Its too windy to go for a walk this morning and this afternoon I'll be a choir practice.Have to rely on my bike again for exercise.

We're having a problem with the new restictions the TSA is handling out. They say that we have to carry our toiletries in a clear plastic top zipped quart bag, but we can't find any as all the companies that carry them have the company logo on them. We called the airlines and they don't know,has any one travel recently and can give a an idea where we can find these bags????

I started a new Lunch Thread.I hope you don't mind,I feel when writing down what you have for your meals keeps you accountable.,at least it does for me.

Thanks:thanks: Ladies for your get better wishes. My hand isn't 100 %,but I'm able to type with it again.

Arkansas Kel-I know what you mean with wordy thread,I haven't seen it so busy since I started in Aug. I have to checkin more often myself.I love:love: playing canaster of course my team lost.But it was fun playing the game.

LILY-Happy:) to hear:listen: you found out what you had,and was able to take care of it. The meds should be able for you to rid of it quickly.I find that eating more protein & veggies my cravings for other junk foods disappears.

NurseKat-I had the same proble withthe south beach.Even though their good carb good fat program worked for others, I found that the Atkins WOE is better for me. My doctor and I decussed this and he believes that the reason I couldn't lose on the beach:beach:is that I'm highly sensitive to carbs,espeicaly bread and its prods carbs[WW pasta brown rice]are a nono:nono: for me.

Carol-I get sick of salads also,Now that the weather is gettin colder I making veggie soup and cooking vegggies,than I did in the summer months when I would have salads every day.

QUESTION-ARE WE ALLOWED ON THE ATKINS WOE PEPPERONI ON PIZZA OR MUNCHING FROM A STICK. I CAN'T FIND IT ON THE ALLOWED LIST. JUST WONDERING????

Have to go,lunch is out.

Hugs :) BB

nursekat
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Well, still holding at the 10 pound loss, but that is fine. I knew I would slow down.
I work the next 3 nights, then off 2, and on for 5 straight. This is going to suck. I'm so used to my 3/ 12 hour shifts and off 4, but I'm covering a vacation.

BB - How about finding the bags in a grocery store? Store brand/ generics shound not have a logo on them. Glad you feel better.

Carol - I eat a lot of frozen broccoli or brussel sprouts, seasoned with basalmac (sp?) vinegar, yummy! Or Sauteed zucchini with mushrooms & onions and italian herbs. Veg Soup is always great, and you can throw in whatever you have around.

lilybelle
10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone, I am feeling back to normal now. I'm up and drinking my coffee.

BB, so glad to see the lunch thread, now I can chart my food and carbs here daily and not need to write everything on paper everyday. (I have written it all down from day one).

Maggie, I think you might want to look up Cholesterol levels and Crestor. It is supposed to elevate good cholesterol. Not trying to "second-guess" your Doctor, but your level doesn't seem that bad to me. I guess what I'm saying is that the risks of this med. may be more than the benefits of it for someone with a "marginal" good cholesterol. I agree with Kim on the food pyramid. If I followed it, I'd still be Obese.

Carol, good to see you on here. Hope you like this way of eating. It sure works for me. I remember being very tired and grouchy the first few days when starting Atkins, but it went away.

I am on day 5 of being perfectly on program. I haven't had Peanut Butter in 5 days, and I am not near as hungry or having cravings. I have had only 12 or fewer carbs now each day since stopping the peanut butter. I feel so good. I had been thinking that I was starting to be intensely hungry all the time and couldn't control my cravings. Now, I feel like I have a handle on it again and will be able to maintain my wt. loss. I am not having any "snack attacks".

RobinW
10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Good Morning

Maggie~ I agree with Kim too. Dont get too worried about it. Your nutritionist, is only telling you what she learned in school, not what she has learned from experience thru her patients/or self. If you know that atkins works, stay with it. If you are concerned about your levels, cut way back on things like butter, bacon and cheese. Keep the good fats in your diet tho. Personally, I would find some changes I could make, not take the crestor for about amonth(with my dr's approval) and then go back and get retested. If you are always tired, maybe its time to start bumping your carb intake up. But do it in the form of fruits and veggies, not breads.

Kathi~ :wave:

Lily~ glad to see you back and feeling better.

Well, its been a crazy 2 days. Yesterday my brain was so tired, I vegged out on the couch most of the evening. When I went to bed, I was so overtired (brain was fried)that I slept terribly. BUT the workshop was amazing, I learned alot, and I'll definitely get involved in more courses thru this college.

Im back to eating properly today....Id been eating out the last 2 days.

Have a great day ladies.

carolr3639
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
The second day was better for me hunger wise but today I could hardly get out of bed I'm so tired. Robin, What was making you tired? I read on Dana Carpender's site that the first week can be hard so I'm hanging in there. BB we used to live in Medway, MA, about an hr from Boston when my dh was stationed at Natick about 30 yr ago. Lily, When you eat only 11 carbs is that just protein foods and veggies?

beach bum
10-26-2006, 11:25 AM

Woke up late, couldn't sleep,until the wee hours in the morning, wind pounding on the windows didn't help either.Its going to be a long day.

Winter is coming,as its getting colder with winds gusts 60 MPH Fri, Sat & Sun. Have to get my winter clothes out.Too windy to walk on the beach or along our thoroughfare.Storms are expected,Leo,pointed out they I have to move some of the stuff off our patio.

I sneak peeked at the scale this morn and I'm down 2.5 since yesterday so I'm sure that High Fiber Pizza Crust is finally out of my body. WHOOO!!!what a feeling,happy the bloating is gone.

We're going to Wal-Mart this morning to look for the plastic bags, we're also going to look for colored tape to put all over our luggage,so it easier to find the suitcases at the pick up carousel.

LILY-I didn't understand why we didn't have one in the first place,as to me writing down what your going to have for a meal holds me accountable.

Have to go,will post later

lilybelle
10-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi everyone.

Carol, on days that I have only 10 carbs or so, my eating is like this. Eggs and Sausage for breakfast, Salad with grilled chicken for lunch, Grilled chicken breast(or any grilled meat) , salad and green beans for dinner. I have carb free ranch dressing that I can use. A snack might be pork rinds and a piece of string cheese. This is a lot of food and very little carb total for the day. I have a hearty appetite and like to get as much food as possible, for as little carbs as possible.

I was trying to wait til Monday to weigh, but snuck on scales this morning. I'm holding steady at 140 lbs., thought I might have lost a little with as low as my carbs have been lately, but maintaining the same is great too.

BB, even though I am posting my meals here, I'm still writing it down on paper too. Just a habit that I can't give up.

Maggie, Oats are supposed to help raise the good cholesterol and lower the bad. They are higher in carbs, but I eat them twice a week without any weight gain.

RobinW
10-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Carol, Ive been at a marketing workshop.....I needed alot of brain power lol, thats what made me so tired. This ole girl isnt used to being in a classroom setting.

carolr3639
10-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh, Robin, you can't be that old! One of the reasons I think I failed at Atkins before is that I didn't eat enough veggies so I'm being really careful about that now. I feel better tonight but I won't be boasting about weight loss any time soon because I have lost weight at first other times and I just want to lose it for the long hall. I have so far to go and I guess I am really sceptical.

RobinW
10-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh, Robin, you can't be that old! .

Im not :lol: but I'll tell you I sure felt like it last night and today. Im much better now tho.

lilybelle
10-27-2006, 12:06 AM
I just had to post this. I made it a whole mile on the treadmill tonite for the first time since injuring my ankle. Woohoo, I am happy and sweaty. I used to walk 3-4 miles a day prior to the injury, Man I am out of shape now. That 1 mile kicked my Butt.

carolr3639
10-27-2006, 09:22 AM
This the first day I didn't awaken starving. I did have a little trouble sleeping but I think that''s ok. Maybe that means I am becomiing more energetic!! I had a 5th grade teacher that told me if you were just resting that was fine. I was a worrier even back then........pathetic. Can anyone tell me why you lose so much water weight at first? And what books do you recommend?

beach bum
10-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Good Morning Ladies Smile

Another cold day ahead of us.BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!winters coming,and I don't have my sweaters up from downstairs yet.

Have the senior singers rehearsal this afternoon.Going to start entertaining the nursing home again.Luckily I have all my formals upstairs & pressed and ready to go for our vacation.

LILY-Happy:congrats: you maintained.Some times I think when low carbing I tent to stall so I'm trying to up my carbs from as low as 19 as as high 30 no more.Last week I didn't weigh-in mainly because I was low[15] on the carbs. In the induction they start you off at 20.so going lower I don't think its a good idea,at least for me.Sorry:sorry: as I just read your post to Carol.WOW!!:carrot: You're doing great,in both fields food and exercise. Treadmilling :tread:for a mile thats:dancer: fantastic :dancer:

CAROL-I wish I know what to tell you,but I don't know that answer.It must be in the Atkins book:book2: somewhere.I was told that water intake should be 1/2 your weight in how many glasses.[150 lbs=7.5 glasses of water a day]

Just in case I don't get back to post,have a wonderful day

lilybelle
10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone. I feel so good to know that I can get more exercise in. Not being able to exercise much and being so sick last week is why my carbs were down so low. I try to stay more at 20-25 and will bump it up a little more once I am back on track with walking at least 4 x a week. I have decided to try to maintain my wt. instead of lose more, so it is difficult to find that perfect range of carbs to stay within. I have been at maintenance for almost 4 months and still don't have it figured out. It may take me a whole yr. to get this maintenance thing down pat.

lady_adnerb
10-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm eating junk and right now I've got to admit I'm not really caring. I've got to get my head on straight....but right now it's not going to happen. Found out today my BIL has colon cancer. That's the 2nd person in the family to have cancer (FIL had prostate cancer). He's having surgery on Wednesday. DH is talking about getting checked up. I sure hope so because I really would like him to catch anything early!! So I'll be offline for a few days.

tinainky
10-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone! Yesterday was my day 14 on induction and I lost 14.4 pounds! I want to do this and I know I can! Its been a challenge because of halloween candy lately! I just thought I would get support here and maybe help staying on track with some of you that have done so well!

RobinW
10-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Good Morning

Brenda~ this is your husbands brother? If so, its a very good idea for your dh to get a check up. My dad had colon cancer, and had to have several operations. He had alot of it, but little bits in many places. Today he lives a normal life, and has been cancer free for going on 6 yrs. Good healing thoughts and prayers for your bil...and your hubby too (make him go!) :hug:

tinainky~ :welcome3: and congratulations on your lbs lost!! WTG!!

Today dh and I are heading out to look for one of those lights that mimick sunlight. Its only october, and Ive had it!!! I dont usually get like this until jan/feb. The lack of sunshine is going to do me in....bigtime!! Ive been taking my vitamins, but they can only do so much. Maybe a trip to the carribean is in order ?? ;)

Food wasnt good yesterday, but today is another day.

Have a great day ladies!

Ruthxxx
10-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Just popping in to :wave: and say that low carbing is what will do it for me. I've been on South Beach Phase II and am stuck. I can't do Atkins because of diabetes and cholesterol problems but know I need to cut the darn carbs!

RobinW, I got a SAD light two years ago and think it's just wonderful. I have it in my sewingroom right now but am moving it to the kitchen table. A half hour with a coffee and a magazine sure perks me up! With this crappy weather, I sure need perking!!! :(

Brenda, everyone in my Mother's family, including her, died of colon cancer so make SURE your DH is checked!

Carol, don't be too skeptical - I lost weight when I did Atkins last time.

Beachbum, get out those sweaters. This is IT! We are expecting more snow today so you'll be next on the list.

I'm planning a quiet day one the homefront but do need to make a quick trip to the drugstore for test strips and a visit to my DH who is in a nursing home.

Now to run my menu through Fitday and see what carbs I can cut.

Happy weekend, Ladies. Stay safe, warm and dry!

beach bum
10-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Good Saturday Morning Ladies:)

Its going to be a LAZY day as we're expecting a very bad wind & rain storm this weekend.Leo went quickly to the store to get all our last minute items in before the stormy weather hits.

Lily-Wish I could get my exercising up to par like you have. I'm lacking this past week,don't know if its switching from outside to inside thats doing it. I love to walk,but its going to nasty out there.My[manual]:tread: treadmill is down stairs in the basement collecting dust,as I don't have room in my small house to bring it upstairs. Have to find another activity other that my:bike2: bike. If your comfortable with maintaining that 145 than I say do it by all means.

Brenda-My parents both died of colon cancer,I have an colonescopy every 5 years. I have an appointment on Nov 9th. No wonder you eating junk food. Take as rest:cloud9: for a while and go back to Atkins induction when your ready. Try to snack on healthy foods instead of junk.

tinainky-Welcome:welcome: and big congrats:congrats: on your 14.4 lbs. Thats fantastic.

Robin-So sorry:sorry: you have to resort to a lamp.Its getting dark here alway very early,and daylight savings time is ending tonight.Hate the darkness myself. Let us know how it improves your life.

Ruth-Its so nice to see you on the Atkins board.I had to give up the South:beach: Beach also. I had a long discussion with my doctor and he advice me to go on the Atkins Diet as I'm very carb sensitive,as he is. Maybe your carb sensitive also,To me, Atkins goes in slower in to carbs than the South Beach does.What I'm do is eating lean meats & fats from the SB list,and everything else is from the Atkins list. I've been on Atkins since Aug and I lost a total of 4 lbs and now I heading down hopefully to the 140's shortly.I was yo-yoing up and down when I tried to go back to Phase 2. Not on the south beach board anymore,I guess you must of noticed. I have to get over there and say my:wave: good byes.

Have a nice one
Hugs:) BB

Ms Spotdog
10-28-2006, 01:16 PM
My, My! Ruthie of the triple X! It is good to 'see' you! How are those dogger babies of yours? And your DH? Sorry to hear he is in a nursing home. How did fair go this year?

I don't post much here but I always read and catch up with these ladies and sometimes pop over to catch up with the WLS ladies since we know so many of them also. It's my morning coffee routine!

My weight is still hovering around 155 and I mostly make LC choices since I know that is best for me - and an easy way to eat BUT those darn chocolate/sugar carby foods jump into my mouth waaaay too often! My daughter is in her 3rd year at Art School (sooo proud of her!) and the boys are Jr. & Sr. in high school. We had to move last month as SH (now divorced) had a judge order the family home to be sold. Moving when you've lived somewhere for 20 years was VERY hard but we've transitioned alright now. Scooter and Ginger DO miss running on the acre, tho! They walk around the tiny yard here (there is a pool back there also) and look at me as if to say "This is IT? This is our yard?" Poor babies.

Ok, I better run. MANY things to do today and I have a hot date with my tall man tonight (we've been dating for 2 months).

*waves to everyone* Have a good day!

Kel

lilybelle
10-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone, hope everyone has a great weekend. My son is here for the weekend. Also, my 14 yr. old step-daughter is here for fall break. So, more cooking necessary. I'm just feeding them the same as I always cook for the rest of us.
My 14 yr. old DD mentioned yesterday that she wants to start going for "long walks" with me again. So, we did. She is sporadic in when she wants to exercise. Maybe we'll still get a few more nice weather days to walk outside. She did say she will do the exercise tapes with me again. She gets a kick out of how clumsy I am. I always tell her that it doesn't matter if I stay perfectly to the music or not, as long as I'm moving.

Last night I had a tooth to break off while eating my salad with bell pepper. It isn't hurting any, but is bugging me. I'll get to my dentist on Tuesday. My DH had an appt. scheduled for that day and I'm going to take his place and have them reschedule him. This is my first tooth to ever break.

RobinW
10-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Hiya Ruth! Good to see you here. Im sorry to hear your dh is in a nursing home. How are the babies (4pawed ones)?

Kel, have a good time ;)

Leenie
10-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Good Morning Ladies :hug:

Brenda sweetie I 2nd what Ruthie said... I'll be praying for your family. Hang in there darling.

My DH started Atkins again, its the only way he can lose weight, he's tried everything and has most success with atkins. Now mind you he's only got 15 lbs to lose but to him it might as well be 50. I give him credit as I give you all credit.

Have a great weekend !!!

RobinW
10-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow, I was looking at my "start date" here at 3FC, and Ive been fighting this battle for 4 yrs! :dizzy:

I have renewed conviction this morning......Im going to put it to some use!! And the sun is shining this morning :cb: :cb: :cb: should be a great productive day!!

lilybelle
10-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone. I did absolutely terrible on my eating yesterday. Probably one of the worst days I have had since starting Atkins. I did walk a mile on treadmill which was good. Trying to do better today.

carolr3639
10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Lily, How much did your MIL and aunt have to lose when they started?