Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #1  
love my new muscles!

S/C/G: 231/182/165

Height: 5'7

Default Let me introduce myself...

Hi everyone. I have been looking for the body for life section and have finally found it. I just stumbled on it by luck. Anywho, I recently read Body For Life for Women, which inspired me to read Body For Life, and Eating For Life. I had borrowed each from the library but enjoyed them so much I have bought them now. I started working out in July and have been doing Cardio and weights. Today was my first day working with the free weights. I really enjoyed it. I read where someone here said that free weights were better. I plan on looking for more on this in past threads since I am interested in why they are better. Sorry got side tracked. Well I started working out in the summer at the YMCA since my son was in swimming lessons. I started losing weight so I started watching what I was eating. For the first time weight was coming off which is what eventually led me to the body for life books. Its interesting that all of the diets books that I have read (and there have been a lot) say to exercise but only mention cardio. Well back on topic...I have lost 33lbs and have went from a size 22W to a 16W in pants (only one size down in tops) and am looking forward to losing more...and for the first time in my life I know that I am going to lose more. It feels good... I feel good, I look good, and I have lots of energy.
Luv_Losing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hello Luv Losing

Great job with your weight loss this summer. What a great time of year to get started and see such great results! Free weights rule!! I'm so glad you enjoyed them yesterday. There is a "sticky" posted at the top of the LWL forum that discusses the benefits of free weights over machines, Machines vs Free Weights. Definetly worth your time to read if you haven't already. One of the things that I noticed immediately in using free weights was that it takes a lot of strength just to balance the weights appropriately before you even execute the move. As a result you are able to engage more secondary muscles than with machines. This is an extra perk when you are looking for more well rounded definition.

I like your reference to the diet books and their take on exercise. I have to agree with you. Many of the programs I have read give a nod to cardio but totally leave out weight training.

In my opinion, weight training is the best kept secret in weightloss and maintance. I have tried for YEARS to lose weight. Only when I added weight training did I begin to see real results. Not only that, but I felt like I was DOING SOMETHING. What a rush to feel all those big leg and glute muscles working like they are suppose to.

I am so excited for you. So much of what I read in your post could have been written by me a year ago. Keep going. There are just so many benefits to reap!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #3  
Mel

Hi Luv Losing!

I think your post could have been written by most of us on this forum

I found Body for Life about 5 years ago and my life and body changed forever!
So glad you found us

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Luv_Losing to the weight training world...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Another fan here, and welcome! For most of us, we are well beyond the challenges and doing the true BFL for life. It's just continuous for us, so don't get caught up in the 12 week nonsense. It's just a goal for people who are looking to have a finish line to cross I think. (Not that you asked about this, but it's usually the second question people ask! )

Congrats on the weight loss so far. It is truly a great feeling to know that you will continue to lose/shape up, because, this has truly become your routine now. So wonderful!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #6  
love my new muscles!

S/C/G: 231/182/165

Height: 5'7

Thank you all so much for the welcome. I am glad to know that you all pretty much started out the same way. That makes me feel even more positive about the way I am going about my new lifestyle. Thank you and any and all help is appreciated.
Luv_Losing is offline   Reply With Quote