Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Improving balance

What are some recommendations for ways I can improve my sense of balance, and general body awareness? Requirements are:

1. Something I can do indoors at home. I have a DVD player if it's a DVD.
2. Something I can do with a minimal amount of floor space. I have room to stretch out fully spread eagle, and a bit more, but not gobs of space.
3. Something I can do starting with a large and awkward body, and little sense of balance.

Would yoga be helpful, maybe? I was looking at some of the yoga DVDs geared toward beginners and large women.

Someone said one of those big balls, but where do you get ones that support 250+ pounds of weight? And what would you do with it?
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I got one of those balls at your weight, and they are fine! Often, they come with DVDs that have exercises on them. I couldn't do all the exercises, but it gave me some good ideas.

A lot of people suggest you just SIT on them instead of a regular chair. The idea is that they engage your "core" -- the muscles in your abs for instance -- that help keep you stable. Thus, the name, "Stability Ball". Sitting on them might be a start, at least!

You can buy them anywhere -- Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, Sam's Club, etc...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #3  

Yoga is fantastic for balance. Don't worry about whether you can do the exercises or not. If you don't try, for sure you won't be able to do them.

For example, I could only hold the tree position for a count of 2. Now I'm up to 7. For me that's awesome.

The ball is also a great addition to any program. While doing the exercises, you have to balance yourself on the ball, making your whole body work together. I think they are good to up to 300 pounds.

Like Nike says, just do it.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Agree - stability ball w/ a stability ball workout AND a yoga workout would be a great start.

FYI...the tree pose is good for balance. For the tree pose (yoga pose)...

1. Start standing with both feet on the floor hands by your sides.
2. Gaze softly at a point in front of you and focus on that point.
3. Turn your right leg out to the side and place the bottom of right your foot on the side of your left ankle. Your right leg should be turned out to form a triangle shape. You will now be balancing on your left leg.
4. Hold your arms over your head (pointed toward the sky, palms facing together) or to the side. Make sure your shoulders are lowered and relaxed.
5. Hold this position. As you gain balance, you can gradually raise your foot to your knee. Then to the inside of your upper thigh.
6. Repeat with opposite leg.

Good luck!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote