General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default wisom teeth pulled

i got all 4 wisdom teeth removed on friday, and it sucks! i can only drink so much ensure... and dairy is not setting to well with my stomach and pain meds.
Any soft food suggestions? I am running out of ideas, and hubby is running out of patience w/ me.

thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #2  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

heh i had all 4 of mine removed at once too.... smashed potatoes, soup, jello, pudding, well cooked veggies like peas/carrots/broccoli, noodles (like noodle cups or asian noodles) pasta are things that i had.....

if you weren't warned by your doctor already, make sure you avoid straws! hehe

good luck with it, and hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:53 AM   #3  

When i got my wisdom teeth removed
For the first 2 days all i had was milkshakes (1 a day ONLY)
yep yep
and lots of water

Which a drank thru a straw by the way
Whats the deal with straws and wisdom teeth anyway?
Dentist said not to use them but i did

Then i ate mashed potatoes for like 3 days
Applebees mashed potatoes were so delicious!

Everything else hurt so i avoided all other foods
Old 10-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #4  
trouble

you don't use a straw because you can dislodge the blood clot which would cause a dry socket (an exposed nerve) which is typically very painful. You are really really lucky LiLLy
Old 10-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #5  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I ate lots of mashed up banana and dessert tofu (Pete's Tofu - mango flavor), but the pain killers made me really sick so I mostly didn't eat for the week.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #6  

how long did it take for you to heal? I was under the impression that I didn't even need to take a 4th day, and I'm well into my 3rd day and I'm not even sure I'll make it back to work on Tueday.
I don't hurt as much but I am so swollen still.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Try some hummus and whole wheat pita bread. Make sure the bread is nice and fresh so it's soft.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #8  
trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
how long did it take for you to heal? I was under the impression that I didn't even need to take a 4th day, and I'm well into my 3rd day and I'm not even sure I'll make it back to work on Tueday.
I don't hurt as much but I am so swollen still.
it took me about a week to feel mostly better, and a loooooooong time before my jaw felt completely better. Mine is a bit of an unusual case though, and I was put under.... 2 of my wisdom teeth were wedged down between my last molar and my jaw bone. I'm not sure if you had any complications like that, but if you did, it will take a bit longer to heal.

oh and the swelling for me took about a week and a half or so to go down for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #9  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I looked like a basketball head for nearly 2 weeks but then, all 4 of my teeth had to be cut out. They wanted to do it while I was pregnant, just numbing my mouth and I'm like I so do not THINK so! I waited and was put under.

Do be careful to avoid dry socket. I developed it and it was one of the most painful things I've ever gone through. Seriously. Right up there with childbirth and a torn muscle in my back. Well, probably 3rd on the list but still!

I don't think I ate for a week but I seem to remember chicken noodle soup, ice cream and pudding. Not that I'm advocating that, hehe.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #10  

yeah its hard to diet when you have to eat soft foods, most of which are mashed potatoes or pudding. but since i'm not eating much i'll probably still lose some weight.
well, mine was easy, all 4 but all in one piece and the dr was done in about an hour and a half, total time. he even seemed surprised i was taking a 4th day off just in case. now it looks like i'll be calling him today, swelling still hasn't gone down - there is just no way i'll be able to talk and since i work at a call center, that's sort of vital... well we'll see what the dr says. i hope i don't have dry sockets or any other complications. sigh. it would be very ME if I did though. *L*
thanks for the suggestions, looks like i'll be on un-solid food for a while at the rate i'm healing...
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #11  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I had all 4 of mine pulled 2 years ago. It went rather well and there was little swelling. but it was still a pain in the butt to eat. I lived off oatmeal and applesauce. And a bit of chicken noddle soup. Just remember to keep your mouth clean! lots of flushing out the mouth after the meals.
I was able to eat solid foods again after about a week.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #12  

well at least I know I'm not a whiner now - I went back in, turns out to be a post- op infection. not horrible news, but at least I know it's not all in my head.
thanks again for the advice. I guess I just have to wait it out...

but man do I want to eat something that involves chewing. I am actually getting sick of all the sweet soft foods. I never thought I'd get sick of chocolate pudding or mashed potatoes - I guess the impossible is possible.
Closed Thread