Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default what are the biggest differences between WLS and the old fashioned way?

Yeah - there COULD be a lot of jokes about this, and that's ok. but i'm actually serious here.

here are a couple from me -

people who are losing weight are generally told to make small changes and make them stick. with WLS - the changes happen ALL AT ONCE! it's a lot to handle - even in the best of circumstances

changing 'the mechanics' of eating - the WHAT, and HOW MUCH, and WHEN - is MUCH easier than changing the WHY of eating. And i'm not sure if that's a good thing - for me it was , but i'm not sure about others.

what else ya'll got?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I was getting older and fatter doing it the old fashion way. Been on every diet since I was 6 years old. When my health started deteorating is when I decided to do something about it... or at least try.

Now I have a tool and still have to do it the old fashion way.... but with this tool I may succeed, I actually have a chance...I have a little gleam of hope once again in my life........ and that is worth all the pain, agony and struggle of making WLS my choice (which my friends is one of the hardest things I ever had to do) Choosing WLS is not like buying a new car LOLOL.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #3  

Good post Jif.

I have to say the biggest difference between the two for me is the ability to keep the weight off. Even during periods when I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I find I don't gain and in the past I always regained at the drop of a hat. I know I could gain it back if I ate the way I used to, but the band has changed how I feel about food. I actually feel full after I've eaten, which is fairly new to me. I'm not sure I was ever sated before. I also have a motive not to eat too much because the pain of having an overfull pouch or being "stuck" is a good motivator. It's not pretty or fun!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

The biggest difference for me is I'm finally full on the smaller portion. I've lost weight (haven't we all!) on lots of diets but always it was a combination of denial and willpower vs being hungry.

Now, I still have to make healthy choices and I still have to exercise but I feel full/satisfied after a small portion. I can eat pretty much anything (soft, doughy carbs are a problem), just in small quantities.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Now I have a tool and still have to do it the old fashion way...
This is the difference to me. Im still struggling the old fashion way....and like Leenie said, I too am gaining weight.

Using this tool forces you, period.
The old fashion way, you still have choices. Its the choices that cause me to faulter, and gain back what I took off the week before.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #6  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I have a question for you ladies (and gents). Did you find that after WLS, even though you are somewhat physically restricted in what you can eat, did any of your mental eating habits change? When I lost my weight, which I have done the old fashioned way of good diet and exercise (and thank god it's staying off), my biggest battle wasn't getting to the gym, it was changing the way I thought about food. Realising that I can't eat pizza 3 x a week, or potato chips every day, or cake every day etc. you get my meaning. I know a couple of people who have had WLS. One had gastric bypass, the other had a lap band. Both have gone back to eating exactly how they ate before the surgery, which is non-healthy, junk food, fast food. It makes me so mad when I see them stuffing themselves with potato chips. In my eyes, they were given a second chance. They had an opportunity to change their lives, not only by losing weight but improving themselves long term, and by going back to the potato chips they were essentially giving everyone else the middle finger. I wonder at the damage they might do to their little stomach's too.

I just wonder what they are thinking. I saw a TV show a while back about a lady who had lap band put in but was eating all sorts of crap and wondering why she wasn't losing weight! It's not all about going and getting half your stomach removed or restricted, you have to get your head round the mental part too or it's all in vain.

Just my 2cp, putting the soapbox away now .

Note from Jiff: Lynne deleted this post because she didn't want to upset anyone - i thought it was such a GREAT post, that I asked her permission to restore it. She raises topics that we discuss over and over again, and anyone who's even considering WLS needs to address.

Thank you Lynne!!! best of luck - and continuing success - to you and DH!

Last edited by jiffypop; 11-06-2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Comments from Jiff [and her cat, who's helping her type!]
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #7  

WLS is simply a tool. For a period of time following the procedure, your body has a very limited ability to deal with food. Typically the pounds fall away during this honeymoon phase.

Over time your body gradually becomes able to tolerate different kinds of foods in larger amounts. Many people can almost eat "normally" again -- although amounts may be restricted. It is easy to revert to the old habits and this is when regain can happen.

So it is wisest during the "honeymoon" phase to use the time to retrain your thinking regarding food, to develop an exercise habit and to work on the mental issues which have contributed to or have come as a result of the obesity. If you do, then you will have developed a new approach that will keep the pounds away. If not, then like many (including myself), you will have to go back and do the "old fashioned" approach again.

But the good news is that the WLS still can work for you! The pouch limits the amount of food you can take in and serves as a reminder. If you cut out snacking and grazing, eat healthy meals and exercise, the weight can be lost and kept off permanently. I have kept my weight between 112-117 pounds for the past 9 years, so I'm an expert witness that it can be done!

Whether or not you have WLS, you must learn to limit what you eat and you must activate and maintain your metabolism by exercise. WLS is most effective in the first couple of years, but it is available to help forever -- even 20 years out! (I had mine in 1986) You just have to decide to PICK UP YOUR TOOL and to USE IT.

DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #8  

First off, let me say what great replies these are!

Dancing Angel - Congratulations! and how inspirational you are!

WLS is definately a tool - there are different options to choose from (and I highly reccommend review ALL of them if you are serious about considering it). Each has different challenges and they each work a little differently - some more so than others.

One VERY important thing to remember, is that because it IS a tool - it is NOT a silver bullet. It will NOT do it all for you (though some will say the DS is pretty close to the silver bullet - it also can be a more serious surgery). The thing that gets me most of all is when people say it's the 'easy way out'. That's about as silly as saying that choosing a steak knife to cut a steak over a plastic knife is the 'easy way out'. LOL - well one will get you there more efficiently, but no one would say it's the 'easy way out' - it's just a more efficient way to obtain the same goal.

I think WLS increases the odds of success - long term. It's not a guarantee - but it will HELP you if you have been struggling and can't seem to get the weight off and keep it off. It is by no means a perfect solution - just an alternative to traditional diet and exercise. Actually - it's not REALLY an alternative, it's an ADDITIVE - you still will need to watch your food intake and exercise. Whether you are watching your sugar intake for dumping, being careful about the textures of the food you eat so it won't get stuck in the stoma or band, or traditionally dieting - there are always going to be changes in your dietary habits for success.

WLS takes a little bit of our own weaknesses and difficulties out of the mix. Dumping deters sugar intake, PBin'g deters over eating, (not sure if it's called dumping in the DS when eating fatty foods - but they have a reaction with that too) It's all relative. That's why you need to research.

Is it worth it? I think so. Most people will be Incredibly loyal to their choice of WLS - which tends to be related to their success the more successful they are with the surgery, the more loyal and devoted to their choice. That's why I won't really tout or bash any single one. I think the one that works for 'you' is unique and not necessarily the choice of another.

Just remember it IS a surgery, and each choice has it's own risks. Choose carefully and read up - if you decide to go that route. Either way - good luck in your journey!!

Tina
CurlyTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #9  

Well. Duh. I just re-read your post and apparently missed the fact that you weren't asking for info in considering WLS, but just opinions after the fact.

lol

I thought about going back and just wiping out my post (assuming I can! - it was my first at 3FC ) but thought that it might not hurt to leave it.

The differences for me are the same as what was mentioned earlier. It has GREATLY affected the regain problem I have fought my entire life. Generally I wasn't dealing with more than a 5-10 lb regain at any given point (usually over a few months of not really caring what I was eating). Before WLS, I could easily put on 10-15 a month - and over 3 months gain 30 or so lbs. Not so after. It really DID help me.

Earlier this year I was in a car accident (not bad really - but did have whiplash - so was spending a lot of time at the chiro and couldn't really exercise) - then I broke my foot - so between the two incidents - and trying to move and sell a house - LOL - I completely stopped caring what I was eating. Very bad move. I ended up putting on around 22 lbs over 6 months or so. 22 - in 6 months. that would have easily happened in half the time pre-wls. SoThat is MY biggest difference Haven't regretted it for a minute.

Sorry for the lengthy post earlier that didn't really answer your question....

Tina
CurlyTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #10  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Dancingangel I think you made a great post.

Jiffypop - thanks for restoring mine /hug. My cat also helps me type when I'm at home .
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

The biggest difference for me is that I'm not hungry all the time. The one thing that makes food addiction different from any other is that you can't just quit eating...we need food to live. So many diets in my past...too numerous to count. And on every one of them I was hungry all the time. Now I'm not hungry.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #12  
Isa from Chile

S/C/G: 181/181/132

Height: 5.4

i`m 25 and i had the bypass and is have been working great on me. at first i lost more than 132 pounds. Due a depression early this year i gained 44 pounds but in less than a month i have lost a quarter of it, maybe more i only weight myself on mondays so i don`t obssese with it. But i don`t have any side efects, just dumping 2 times during 2 years and eating candy, so nothing serius. I only faint once during the first month were i couden`t stand food so i barely eat, but then everything has been great. Now i`m up for my final goal of 118 pounds and i know i can make it. I hope to end december with 132 pounds and then i will go more easily during january. But what i want to say is than u don`t have to be afraid of the surgery, i was up and walking the first day after the surgery, i barely have small scars and i only have to take vitamins and mineral suplements, not a big deal. I hope that my experience help you all
ravotrina is offline   Reply With Quote