Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/159/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Dried fruit maybe?!

Hello... just for a change in fruits as snacks, you think it's ok to have dried fruits? Dried apple rings for that matter? I love dried fruit, esp apples.
foxyc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would imagine that you could have dried fruit-but the serving size will be different. The fruit allowed on LAWL are usually in the 40-80 calorie range-so rather than a "box" of raisins (130 calories-or 1/4 cup) you would have to compensate for their higher calorie content by having 1/8 cup for 65 calories. It isn't much at all-so it is better to do something "with it" like putting them in oatmeal, etc. rather than eating them alone.

If you have trouble with hunger, though, I would recommend eating undried fruit-because they are still full of water, and have more "bulk" to keep you feeling fuller-like 1 cup of strawberries is 45 calories.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #3  
FBD/8-18-08

Dried fruit also has preservatives (unless you dry it yourself) and because of the dehydration and the drying process (sugar water prior to drying) they are MUCH higher in sugar content!
Have you tried frozen fruits? I know here in Virginia, we have a grocery -Kroger that carries incredible IQF frozen cherries, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries that are all natural - no sugar added. I use them (they're on plan) in oatmeal, sauteed with splenda and cinnamon and/or vanilla, or sauteed with splenda brown sugar or SF pancake syrup. (YUM!) The cherries taste like cherries jubilee, the peaches taste like a peach cobbler... Okay - enough.
Hope that helps!
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/159/135

Height: 5'6"

so no apple rings?
foxyc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #5  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I'd say look at the nutrition label for sodium and sugar numbers to decide--or ask the COD. Sorry--not much help.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Really, no matter what the COD says, it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. The preservative in dried fruits is a very common safe one-so that isn't really an issue. Most dried fruits do not have any added sodium/sugar-the sugars # might be higher for the package "serving size" simply because they are dried, therefore the calories are mre concentrated since the water has been removed. (Which is why a box of raisins may be a 1/4 cup serving for 130 calories-but I would recommend eating half that-1/8 cup for 65 calories instead to better follow the calories in most allowed fruits on LAWL.)
So-if you choose to eat apple rings, check the calories per serving, and the serving size. You might only get to eat "half" a serving if the calories are a lot higher than a regular fruit. A small apple is about 80 calories, for instance.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #7  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I knew there had to be a better answer--thanks Aphil.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote