General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Angry Why Do Doctors Do This????

I went to the doctor for a physical and pap smear about 10 days ago. Today I get home from work and there's a message on my answering machine telling me to call the doctor's office. Of course, it is too late to call because it is after business hours, so now I have to worry all night about whether the pap smear was abnormal.

They have my work phone number and my cell phone number. Why the heck can't they call me on one of those instead of leaving a message that they know I won't get until after it's too late to call them?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 PM   #2  

Because it could be considered a violation of your privacy. Think of the type of rumors that could be spread. You can specify when you have your exam to call you at a certain number with the results and they MIGHT call it. More and more Dr's are using e-mail or other online methods. Kaiser does.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

That sucks. I guess it's good it's not a Friday - then you'd go nuts all darn weekend.

If they are anything like my doctors - they are just waiting to tell you how your weight or size is causing your hangnail, headache and split ends.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #4  
No description available.

Fiddler, I am sorry you have to wait.

As someone who does call people with pap results, STD's, etc., can I just take a moment to vent? Why do some people play 2 minutes worth of songs on their message before allowing me to leave a message? I am busy and I do not have time to listen to someone's favorite rap song...

Vent over....

I hope that your pap results will be ok.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I sometimes ward clerk on the floor where I usually work (nurse). The phone is the most time consuming part of that job and I almost never get a real live human being. I talk to machines all day. Unless it's an emergency we don't use second or third numbers.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

midwife - if you don't want to listen to the songs or whatever, i found out you can press # and the answering machine will beep right away...that way you don't have to wait forever and a day to leave your message!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoal View Post
Because it could be considered a violation of your privacy. Think of the type of rumors that could be spread. You can specify when you have your exam to call you at a certain number with the results and they MIGHT call it. More and more Dr's are using e-mail or other online methods. Kaiser does.
With email there is NO expectation of privacy.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The email systems have to be password protected very carefully due to HIPAA regulations. Generally, your email results would be protected at minimum by a password and a security question. Otherwise it would be thoroughly illegal. The email you'd receive from your doctor would basically just be a link to a website, and you'd enter your password and stuff there.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #9  

Fiddler, Is everything ok? I know the feeling. You call the dr. he calls you and leaves a message.......and on and on.........!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #10  
No description available.

Thanks for the tip, Heather! Can you tell I am not technologically adept?? I will try that!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #11  

I finally talked to a real person there a little while ago. It turns out to be something minor (whew!).
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That's good to hear. I'm glad!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #13  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

I went through this when I had a mamogram a couple years ago, and I was a nervous wreck. They called and left a message to call immediately to schedule a second appointment, and it was a Friday night when I got the message, and had to wait all weekend. I did have to go back in for a second mamogram because they saw a certain area, but nothing showed up on the second one, so I was so relieved.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

wow, i wish i had known about the cell phone ring tone thing. i call people all day for a living, and there is this one guy i call all the time and have to listen to THE most annoying song and gets stuck in my head - in fact, just thinking about it made it stuck in my head right now - i'm going to try that next time.
calling people sucks. i know with me i am required to stick to very strict rules about what i can and can't say in a messege or tell to other people when i don't get our member on the phone. it can be hard, but its necessary.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #15  

I am a nurse in a message center for a clinic and the only messages I leave are vague even if it's good news based on privacy issues. YOu are even more likely to get a really vague message if your voicemail is vague about who you are - 'Hi!! This is Joan Smith!' will get a slightly better message than "We're not home, leave us a message!". Also, I have on record for some patients whether it's OK to leave info on a VM or not. I wouldn't bother trying ALL my numbers unless it was something serious.
Closed Thread