Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 09:34 AM   #1  

Angry New to Site

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and also am diabetic. I'm type 2 and have been through a bunch of health issues lately and just couldnt keep BS in range. My Endo is threatening to put me on insulin so I am doing everthing I can to prevent that. I tried the carb counting route and was on the typical 1200 calorie diabetic diet (I was supposed to lose between 1 & 1 1/2 lbs a week on that--wrong!) I just gained. I found out about Sugar Busters and it seems to be helping a lot> I am on so much medication for different stuff that I'm not losing fast but I did lose 3 lbs in a month and for me that's good. The thing that really matters is that my BS is much easier to control and have actually been in line for more that a day at a time. My downfall is carbs. With SB you still get carbs-just the good ones. So--here we go on week 5. Thanks for letting me join in.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:57 AM   #2  

Default Hey

Hello poohtoyou- Have you tried the Weight Watchers? I have been there for about 3 yrs . Lost 57 lbs at an average of 2 lbs a week. It is a really healthy way of eating.
I don't blame you for trying not to get on insulin. Healthy eating and exercise is a good way to go.
Good luck....Joanne
Old 09-28-2001, 10:55 PM   #3  

Angry Hang In There

Isn't it strange how we know we 'have' to get busy with the food issues - but we have such problems with it !

I don't have your problem with SD, but I do have health problems and a huge amount of weight to take off. Sometimes I feel like it
is going so slow or either I'm not doing enough to make it happen. I've been in Weight Watchers and I do know several there that had SD. They all say it has been a wonderful help to them. I know the support there is wonderful and the diet, once you understand it, which does not take long, is really quiet simple.

Please keep in touch. Want to hear how you are doing !
God bless.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:18 AM   #4  

Default Hey There

Good Morning Angel Girl-- I am not actively pushing WW. I know that it worked for me. I think if you relax and work the program and get regular exercise it will help you to reach your goal. Commitment is the name of the game. It was for me.I did not call this a diet. I found a new way of eating and taking care of myself. I had to put on the blinders so to speak. I did not let anything get in my way. I bet you can too!
Have a great weekend and Welcome. Hope to hear from you again soon.....Hello pooh2u. How are you? Joanne
Old 10-02-2001, 12:27 AM   #5  

Hi back Joanne D and Pooh2u

I have been trying very hard to get back on the water, and the walking. I have arthritus (spine - hips) so I have problems doing fast walks, but I do walk as much as I can. Found that water arobics is my favorite and most relaxing form of exercise. It was hard at first, and I became very tird fast. But it became a great way to help my arthritus and to get the needed exercise. It was hard to climb in a swim suit, but found the ladies there to be very excepting and finally just did what had to be done.
There are many laughs in a group effort like this. Which is good and uplifting.

Thank you for the encouragement Joanne. I need it right now.
I have lost several pounds....but Oh my it gets overwhelming.
I have been eating more for some reason these past few weeks.
Today I gave myself a real talking to. I had hoped to be way down by this month, and I'm not where I had hoped to be. Not that it was unrealistic. It wasn't. I have just not done well during the summer months. But, I'm ready to get busy again.

So I am going to be coming more to this site to check out new menu's and some ideas to rethink my game plan so to speak.
It helps to chat as well. So I am going to stay with WW, because I do feel it is the program that does teach a good healthy way of life or a eating management program. I do want to finally 'eat to live' and not 'live to eat' ! That ole devil seems to enjoy sitting on my shoulder and say 'eat this' or 'try this' ... when I really know I shouldn't ! At times it seems he loves my shoulder more than anyone elses !

Didn't mean to keep going on and on. However, please keep in touch.

Old 10-02-2001, 11:13 AM   #6  

Default Hey There

Angel Girl.. Don't let the far reaching goal stand in front of you. Look at it as 1-2 lbs a week. Then it won't be so overwhelming. Don't worry about getting into a bathing suit. You are not by yourself. If it bothers you don't put it on in front of the mirror. Soon you will be buying a size smaller. Or do what I did . I took it up in the sides . Finally one day my daughter said "it's time to get a new one. " I got a 14. Get everything out of your house that tempts you. Tell your family'' look I am trying to do this to help myself and I need your help too". That is what I did. Stay with WW and Keep up your exercise. Try walking short distances. It will strengthen Your back muscles. I have osteo -arthritis all over my body. You soon may be able to walk longer distances. Walk in the water at first if it helps you... Hope you do well and that something I say helps. ...Joanne
Old 10-03-2001, 12:16 AM   #7  

Right now anything helps !

I am glad you are so helpful. I want the advice and good direction.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:32 AM   #8  

Default Hey There

Hello Jet... You sound so down..I hope not.. I had a few days this week that were really bad. I think sometimes it is not safe to just be yourself. There will be a conflict somewhere. I try really hard to keep things smooth. But I can't be everyones helper ,I guess. I just get upset and then I eat wrong. There is a saying "Let them eat each other up"
I am trying to remember that everyday is a new day.. I lost 1 1/2 lbs for this months weigh in. That is not good enough. I need to do better. Last April I said I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. I have lost 7. I still have 8 or more. At the rate I am going it will be a year... Maintance is so hard.So now I am dumping on you as I don't seem to have anyone else to talk to . I guess I am rambling..Tomorrow is a new day...Bye..Joanne
Old 10-06-2001, 12:53 AM   #9  

Hi Everyone. Well I lost the battle--Next week I have to go to the Dr.--He is putting me on insulin--The ole pancreas is giving out--not producing enough insulin. What a bummer!! Insulin stores fat & makes you gain wait!! Just what I don't need. Oh well, just another bump in the road, and another obstacle I'll overcome!! Went on vacation last week-Ya know, it's really hard to follow a meal plan on vacation!!!! But back on track now. Thanks for the WW suggestion. I went there years ago--before the diabetes stuff. I'll have to look in to them again.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:41 AM   #10  

Default Hey There

Jet- Hang in there and keep doing the good things.. We are all in this together. If you slip one day it is not a failure. You just go right back. I have my good days and bad too. We all do. ....Joanne
Closed Thread