Weight Loss Support - Water to lose?

View Full Version : Water to lose?

i2kandoit
10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
I work in a family practice clinic. I have read online that drinking a ton of water can help you "flush toxins and fat". I asked the MD I work for and he said that isn't true. He also said that water can not curb an appetite. I read that it could!!! Is he right or is this skinny doc ignorant? :dizzy:

Glory87
10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I confess to being a cynic, an anti-water hold-out on these forums. I barely drank any water when I lost weight and it had little effect on my weight loss. I don't think it takes a lot of water to flush out toxins, your kidneys filter toxins on a normal amount of water. How can water flush out fat? That just seems like hooey. In my opinion, water or other beverages can curb the appetite - in the short term.

lilybelle
10-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I tried for one week to make sure I drank 80 oz. water daily, gained 2 lbs. that week and haven't done it since. I also drink coffee and crystal light, so I was getting too much fluid. I now stick to 48 oz. of water besides my other fluid. The only thing I have noticed a benefit for with a very large quantity of water is if I am retaining fluid from too much salt, then it does tend to "flush" me out and drop the water wt. quickly.

almostheaven
10-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Water CAN help you lose weight. The sodium and carbonation in sodas help you retain weight. So switching to water will help in that area alone.

As for curbing the appetite, I drink a sport bottle of water before each meal. Even if it's a temporary supression...how many times have we been prone to OVEReat? So if the water makes you feel full, it gives you time to digest the lesser food you will now consume in the meal so you don't over do it and miss the cues that tell you you're full. IOW, by the time the water stops making you feel full, you've digested your meal and realize you're not still hungry.

Ilene
10-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I find that the weeks I don't drink my water I don't lose weight. The weeks I dring my 8 glasses/day I may not go down a lot of weight, but I do go down 2# at least, PLUS I just feel a whole lot better all around.

Water suppresses my appetite but I found a trick in this Fat Flush Plan book I am reading that suppresses it even more... To one litre (4 cups of water) add 1/2 cup of pure cranberry juice like Knudsen's... Drink 2 bottles of this mixture/day. I find a very big difference in my appetite since I've been doing this. Plus cranberry juice, specially the pure stuff, is supposed to be so good for you...

Ilene
10-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh, just wanted to add that I personally find doctors to be very UNknowledgeable when it comes to nutrition... I'd ask a nutritionist before I would ever ask a doctor about nutrition...

Misti in Seattle
10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Well, Ilene, that depends on the doctor. I have been very impressed with my doctor's guidance and suggestions.

As for the water I have no idea if it really does flush out toxins... but it certainly does curb my appetite.

flxthct107
10-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Water definitely helps curb my appetite. I notice better losses the weeks that I drink all my water as well.

isthatreallyme
10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
"The sodium and carbonation in sodas help you retain weight"

carbonation? since when?

I have actually never heard of that, and don't believe it does anything either way (the carbonation itself) due to the nature of carbonation it, by itself when trapped in your system will not make you weigh more, in fact if holding a gas in our system made us weigh noticably more, holding our breath when on the scale would make a difference ;)

as far as deinking water goes, yes I feel like it has made a difference in my appetite, as whenever i feel hungry, i have a glass of water then let myself eat, i notice i tend to get fuller faster than before, most likely because the water is filling space in my tummy that could normally be filled with food :P then again it could be just a placebo effect, either way, water is good for us (to a certain extent obviously) and it's good to get our water in :) oh, and one thing i do know for a fact is that dehydration slows our metabolisms (among other things).

One thing that i think is important is that not all waters are equal.... I try to get in as much mineral/spring/artesian well/glacier water (artesian well is my fave, and best tasting for me) as i can because they actually have minerals/nutrients in them, oh and tap water is better for you than you'd think, as a rule, as long as it tastes ok in your area it's good to drink because it too will have minerals and stuff. I figure i should give my body as much help as i can now, seeing as i was treating it like crap before ;)

isthatreallyme
10-19-2006, 04:18 AM
oh and as far is flushing your system out, it does help, but not nearly as much as a body detox program. water cannot flush out fat, it's not possible, but as far as things that are bad for you go, i believe water helps from my knowledge from people who have expertise in this area. I think it just makes sense that more water (to a certain point) will help with toxins. If you put a teaspoon of salt for example in a bottle with 1 cup of water and a teaspon in a bottle with a litre of water, which would be better to drink?

jillybean720
10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
I would never go so far as to say that water flushes out fat. You have to burn fat, not flush it :dizzy: However, I do think drinking water is an important step to good health and can help with weight loss IF you've been used to drinking other high-calorie beverages and switch to water instead (therefore reducing your calorie intake)--but it's not anything magical about the water, just the reduced calories from limiting other beverages.

Also, if you've been dehydrated (i.e., not drinking enough water), increasing your water intake can allow you to lose some weight just by reducing your body's water retention. It's not fat that's getting flushed out--just water--but a lot of people still like to see it on the scale.

As for curbing an appetite, I would never say water does that for me. However (now don't I always have a "however?" ;) ), as human beings, we can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. Our bodies just say, "give me something!" and we reach for food when sometimes all it really needs is water. Therefore, drinking water can seem like it's curbing your appetite, when really you're just giving your body what it wanted anyway.

I drink at least 3 liters of water a day. I do this because it makes me feel good, and I can tell at this amount by the color of my urine that I am well hydrated. I could absolutely still lose weight while drinking less water, I'm sure, but like I said, it just feels good. Water is also great for your hair, skin, lips, etc. According to a quiz recently posted in the 300+ section, the average person loses about 10 cups of water per day just through sweating, urinating, and other normal bodily functions. I assume I lose even more since I'm about twice the size of a "normal" person. Since I can't measure exactly the amount of water I get from my food, I go ahead and drink at least 10 cups a day to replenish what I expend, so add to that any water I get from food, and I am sure I am keeping myself well hydrated.

I'm not going to go into how I feel about "detox" programs, but as previously mentioned, our bodies are great at getting rid of "toxins" just fine (barring any health issues that may affect your body's ability to cleanse itself). The best thing you can do to keep your body "cleansed" is to eat healthy foods that aren't full of "toxins" in the first place!

Ilene
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Well, Ilene, that depends on the doctor. I have been very impressed with my doctor's guidance and suggestions.

For the most part Doctors do not specialize or study nutrition unless they take that specific course in University... Lucky for you your doctor may have an interest in nutrition and he may read up on it more, or have taken the nutrition course, therefore knows a lot about it...

nelie
10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
I can tell you I feel a lot better when I drink plenty of fluids. I drink unsweetened iced tea, hot tea and filtered water. One thing that I found that curbs appetite is a bit of lemon juice with water. I haven't done a bit of cranberry juice (100% not one of those mixtures) and water in a long time but I may try that again as well.

boaterswife
10-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure about how much it helps with weight loss, but I do try to get in my minimum of 8 glasses a day.

I did hear yesterday, however, from a nutritionist on the 700 club, that getting enough water greatly reduces fatigue. That I can attest to. Before I started WW I know I wasn't getting the amount of fluids a day that I am now, and almost immediatly I wasn't nearly as tired, even before I began losing weight.

Ilene
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree Kelly, water lifts my fatigue in the middle of the afternoon better than a coffee... So sometimes I have coffee and water :lol: then I'm raring to go :devil:

jcatron243
10-19-2006, 12:37 PM
I am a water junkie. I drink atleast 80-100 oz per day. I don't know if it helps with weight loss, but I like the way drinking it feels.

fiddler
10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I would have to say he is somewhat ignorant.

Can drinking large amounts of water help your body flush toxins? Absolutely. It is the function of the kidneys to flush toxins out of the body via urination. The kidneys work more efficiently when you drink generous amounts of water.

Can drinking large amounts of water help your body flush fat? Yes, indirectly. Fat is metabolized (burned) in the liver. Another of the liver's functions is to assist the kidneys in flushing toxins out of the bloodstream if the kidneys are not operating at peak efficiency (as would happen if you aren't drinking adequate water). When the liver has to take over for the kidneys, it cannot metabolize fat as efficiently.

Just google the search string, "drinking water" fat metabolism, and you will find numerous articles that explain this phenomenon. Presumably they are also available to your doctor if he bothers to look.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television.

i2kandoit
10-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone!!! I didn't expect this much of a turn out!!! Overall I got a lot of great info, thanks. I went to a mexican restaurant last night...I figure every Friday night I can eat whatever I want for dinner, but then it's right back on track. It was exhausting eating so much...I even had a large (huge) strawberry margarita. But I've done great today. Do you guys think that'll mess my weight loss up by much? It just seems like I need a break once in a while.

almostheaven
10-21-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd say once a week might mess up weight loss. It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound. So if you exercise off 500 calories a day, that's a full week of exercise just to splurge on a meal where you could possibly consume most of it back, and not lose any weight. Go ahead and splurge. But personally, I'd cut it down to once a month, or at the most, every other week.

Tisha___
10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I have 1 splurge meal every week. And I'm allowing myself 4 splurge days per year (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and my Birthday) because I know if I deny myself, it just won't work... I'll end up binging and not liking myself. So, I get my 1 splurge per week right now (and who knows... I might cut that out some day) and it helps me stay on track. And even though I splurge, I still try to watch it... I've found that now I don't feel like eating as much as I would have before. So, I might have the same things, but just in more moderation than I did before I started this journey. Does that make sense? But, I'm no expert, so I just say that you do what you have to do, see how it effects you, and adjust from there.

:D

P.S. I'm a big advocate of water now. I never was before, but I really feel like it's helped me. I used to drink water MAYBE once a week, so I was totally dehydrated. Now, I'm up to between 80oz and 100oz a day and down to a max of 2 Diet Cokes per day. I used to ONLY drink Diet Coke.

buckettgirl
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Having good fluid intake does help the body to burn fat. Even though I am doing a totally different plan from everyone else, I have noticed obvious stalls on weigh-in day during weeks that I have had very poor fluid intake (like having only 30oz of fluid per day for 5 or 6 days...thats bad).

I'm not going to talk about water exclusively because I am not a water junkie, I drink whatever I feel like as long as there are no calories in it. The idea with fluids curbing appetite has more to do with the fact that most people mistake thirst for hunger. If you drink something first and give your body a little bit of time afterward, your "hunger" might very well go away because you weren't hungry at all.
As far as having a splurge day, that doesn't work for all people because they can't get back on track the next day. Thats up to you to decide if you can handle it. I have to disagree with the advice about having to exercise more to have a splurge day. If you are exercising with the intent of eating, then you have a problem... you should be exercising with the intent of having a healthy lifestyle. Think about it....exercising just so you can eat (binge). Thats not a good mindset and will probably backfire in the long term. If you have a splurge day/meal/whatever, you WILL retain fluid. However, if you have been following your plan before and after, it is unlikely to result in actual fat gain. I could easily have a 3000 calorie dinner, from say Applebee's..... if this is something that you could easily do as well, then you will probably see slowed weight loss, again, assuming you are perfectly on track before and after. Realistically, you would have to splurge like that for most meals for a few days before seeing actual fat as a weight gain. What you should do is be mindful of what you are eating, of what the calories are that you are consuming, and learn good portion sizes - even during a "splurge" meal because you can still have something good (forbidden) without completely going overboard either... and it is good practice for learning those good lifestyle habits.

sotypical
10-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Time to add my two cents.

I drink 4L of water a day (I was drinking 6L but cut back). Do I drink it to lose weight? Not really. I drink it because it is good for me, my body needs water. It makes me feel good. I havent gotten to the point where if I dont drink enough I feel like crap. I drink other fuilds as well, but generally I have 1 liter of water, my cup of coffee, 3 more liters, and some diet pop in the afternoon.

I cant say if it has helped with my weight loss (I like to think it has) but it makes me feel better and look better. And sometimes it can help me feel full, but I find a diet pop does a better job of that. I used to drink nothng but diet pop, but now I would rather have water (most of the time).

As for slurge meals days - I do it. I havent lost weight that fast, but I have lost 43 pounds in 9 months - with TONS of splurge meals/days. I have to eat the way I can eat for the of my life. The splurge meal/day has really helped me - but if i feel I dont need it then I dont have one. I just have it if I need it.

Can I not eat my christmas dinner? thanksgiving dinner? for the rest of my life? **** NO! I am sorry, some people dont believe in eating them. But I would rather take twice as long to lose weight then lose it really quickly and gain it back.

But really in the end, you have to do what works for you.

Tisha___
10-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Can I not eat my christmas dinner? thanksgiving dinner? for the rest of my life? **** NO! I am sorry, some people dont believe in eating them. But I would rather take twice as long to lose weight then lose it really quickly and gain it back.

That's the way I see it too.

i2kandoit
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks. I think you guys have some really great posts!!! I am going to keep my "free meal" for now. I'll just practice my serving sizes on that meal instead of ignorning all my "lessons". I have to think of this as a "from now on" diet instead of a "until I'm weighing less" diet. That margarita was good, but I can't see doing that all the time. I can't throw myself away like that. Plus, being in the military, I need to be in shape!!!!!

buckettgirl
10-23-2006, 10:50 PM

I'm not saying don't eat a holiday meal; but really, that is no excuse to be stupid about eating either. To me, a "splurge" meal or day would mean being able to eat something that I would not normally eat, like pizza or ice cream or whatever. But I wouldn't allow myself to get stupid about it and eat a whole big carton of ice cream or 10 pieces of pizza either. Just because you want to indulge doesn't mean that you can or should ignore everything about nutrition - in fact, if I think about the crap I'm putting into my body I tend to lose my appetite for it (unless it is cheesecake :D)
It will take you twice as long to lose the weight and not a very long time to gain it back with eating habits like that. Having a full out binge is not a reward and will inevitably only get you back to where you started or worse if this is what you call "splurging"

almostheaven
10-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm not saying don't eat a holiday meal; but really, that is no excuse to be stupid about eating either. To me, a "splurge" meal or day would mean being able to eat something that I would not normally eat, like pizza or ice cream or whatever. But I wouldn't allow myself to get stupid about it and eat a whole big carton of ice cream or 10 pieces of pizza either.
That's how I look at it. When I see the term splurge, I'm thinking of someone eating anything, and as much of it as, they want. On holidays, I try to drink plenty of water beforehand and always start with a salad to curb my appetite before digging into the higher calorie foods. But I don't count any calories on those days and don't worry about eating a piece of pie as I would normally.

sotypical
10-24-2006, 12:50 AM
When I have my splurge meal, I eat as much as I want... but now, all I want is 2 pieces of pizza - 3 at most. I dont eat NEARLY (probably less then half) as much as I want to. so yes I mean I can eat as much as I want, but I guess my subconcious really only lets me what it knows is okay for me.

Glory87
10-24-2006, 01:06 AM
When I was actively losing weight - I had two treat meals, my birthday and Christmas dinner. Now that I'm maintaining, I usually have 1 treat meal a week. For the weekly treat meals, I still don't got all crazy - usually get a glass of wine, get salmon for dinner and split a dessert. It doesn't mean I can eat as much as I want out of the bread basket or use butter or order fried foods or eat fast foods or any of the other big lifestyle choices I have made and will stick to forever. I am also very careful to make it one treat meal, not a treat day or treat week.

I am careful and my weight has been very very stable for nearly a year, that makes me happy. I can't stand the thought of gaining weight or having to lose weight again. I am exactly where I want to be and no pizza or ice cream or movie theatre popcorn is worth it.

All bets are off for my birthday, though :)

Tisha___
10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
To me, there is a HUGE difference between a binge and a splurge. When I have a splurge meal, it might mean that I have 2 pieces of pepperoni pizza and a bread stick. Or, it might mean that I go to my favorite mexican place, and have 1 soft taco and chips and queso.

When I binge, it means that I eat everything and anything I can get my hands on.

Also, I still count the calories on my splurge meals and add it in with the rest of my day. It's not like everything goes out the window. I still try to watch portion control, but I don't deny myself a particular food item, if I really want it. And these days, I CAN'T eat as much as before. I get fuller a lot faster and I've come to realize that I want to enjoy my food, so I only eat until I'm satisfied. It's gotten a lot easier than it used to be. I'm not saying I haven't had any slip-ups. I had a couple last week in fact, but I got right back on track and didn't give up. And, I think that if I denied myself everything all the time, I'd have a lot harder time getting back on track after a slip-up.

sotypical
10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
To me, there is a HUGE difference between a binge and a splurge. When I have a splurge meal, it might mean that I have 2 pieces of pepperoni pizza and a bread stick. Or, it might mean that I go to my favorite mexican place, and have 1 soft taco and chips and queso.

When I binge, it means that I eat everything and anything I can get my hands on.

Also, I still count the calories on my splurge meals and add it in with the rest of my day. It's not like everything goes out the window. I still try to watch portion control, but I don't deny myself a particular food item, if I really want it. And these days, I CAN'T eat as much as before. I get fuller a lot faster and I've come to realize that I want to enjoy my food, so I only eat until I'm satisfied. It's gotten a lot easier than it used to be. I'm not saying I haven't had any slip-ups. I had a couple last week in fact, but I got right back on track and didn't give up. And, I think that if I denied myself everything all the time, I'd have a lot harder time getting back on track after a slip-up.

WOW! DITTO THAT OVER AND OVER!
I could not have said that any better, I am the exact same way.

The past month I have had an average of 1500 calories and a weight lose of 1.15 pounds a week. That is pretty good even with slip meals in there. I think even if I skipped those 'splurge' meals... I wouldnt lose any fast. They really help me stay in my control.

SwimGirl
10-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I think Tisha said it all.. thats exactly how I am too..

Courtnie - you wouldn't really want to lose faster than that really... I remember I was on a "diet" where I had 1200 calories per day (dr supervised), but it was SO restrictive that when I was off it? I was WAY WAY off it. I'd also rather lose slower and keep it off forever.. if that makes sense?

-Aimee

Tisha___
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
WOW! DITTO THAT OVER AND OVER!
I could not have said that any better, I am the exact same way.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol

Jasmine31
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I am the same way. I generally do one treat meal a week. Sometimes i slip and have two, but not often. This is the way i need to live the rest of my life and it has taken me about 15 months to get 60 pounds off but it is because I have slowly been making lifestyle changes. This is the way I will live the rest of my life. Too many people jump on a diet and cut this and cut that and deprive themselves. Then they go back to their old way of eating and gain it all back plus some. :(

So my eating has changed from very bad to bvery healthy most of the time. I still go out once a week and order a burger and fries. Or have a nacho bell grande. If I told myself I couldn't do it at all I would not be where I am today. Once a month I might have a piece of pie. Every other week or so we have blueberry muffins.

As far as completely binging I don't even slip up and do that any more. There have been times this month even where I felt like I was on a binge, but I was still more in control than I would of been in the past. I had 2 pieces of pizza with a few bread stix where in the past i would of had sugary soda too and I would of had the whole bag of bread sticx. I might of even gone back for another piece later too! But this time I stopped at 2 pieces and a few bread stix. I was even thinking about having, "just one more slice". But I told myself, you know what? If you REALLY want to, we can have pizza next month! You don't need any more today! It worked. :D