Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 04:54 PM   #1  

Default new fibre rule ?

I have been counting points based on a maximum of 4 grams of fibre but was told the old WW 123 system didn't have a cap of 4 grams. Do any of you still go by the old way and deduct per gram no matter how many there are...say 6.4...would you deduct 60 cals or is it better for whatever reason to stick to the 4 gram max rule ? and does anyone know why this was changed ?
If the above info is wrong...I was given it by a local WW member not on this site.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Hi. The reason it was changed was because the basic laws of weigh loss are still "calories in minus calories used = weight loss" and one of the things that was happening involved hi calorie hi fiber foods that were counted as too few points. So, a 250 calorie item, if it had 10 grams of fiber, was a "low point" food, but the math didn't work physically. (low fat, hi calorie hi fiber made it low points, but was still a lot of calories.) So, they capped the fiber at 4 grams (makes sense) and it changed the calculation of a lot of foods. They also reduced the points range (it used to be 7 and now it's 5) and people started losing weight better. I know every leader who tried the new system when it was introduced last year (between oct and nov) before it was brought out to the meetings, lost weight too. So, that's why they changed it. We DID tell our members though, that if you lost weight on the OLD system (when there was no cap on fiber) that if you wanted (needed) to stay at the old program, you might as well. Either way, you'll lose weight...
Old 09-23-2001, 05:19 AM   #3  

You're right...it does make sense. I can see the logistics of it . The old way looked good paper but the scales told a different story for many. As you say, for some...if its not broken don't fix it . Thanks for the great explanation.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:44 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Personally even on 1-2-3 Success I capped it at 5 grams.
Closed Thread