Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Weight Maintenance in the New England Journal of Medicine

Here's a link to the summary on WebMD.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article...m?pagenumber=1

This study was published by one of the founders of the National Weight Control Registry, but seems to be an independent trial of 314 people. Here's the relevant quote:

Quote:
People who weigh daily and meet regularly with others trying to maintain a new, lower weight are more successful, according to the study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine
The folks that had the online meetings didn't fare as well--similar to the control group.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #2  
Meg

Thanks for the link, Anne! I'm so glad that some researchers are finally focusing on weight loss maintenance.

It's not surprising to me that group support would have the best success rate, since you'd get face to face support and encouragement. The problem is that most of us don't have access to an in-person maintenance support group. If you pull out the Yellow Pages, there's not going to be a listing for 'weight loss maintenance' (though there sure are a ton for weight loss). And unfortunately, I don't know enough people in Real Life who have successfully lost weight to create such a group.

It seems to me that the best most of us can do is create support communities on-line and try to make them as personal and supportive as possible.

Thanks for a thought-provoking article!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the article. In my area, there is no in-person support group for maintenance. I try to come here daily for the support and encouragement and advice that I need. Everyone that I know "diets" in spurts and none of them ever "stick to it". It is so easy to see someone that has lost 50 lbs. or so one day,, and see them the next yr. and they have gained it all back and more. I will do anything in my power to keep this from happening to me. It really is scary.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I love their green, yellow and red zones. As soon as I get to goal, I think I'll incorporate those colors into my weight chart. It'll be easier to see where I am to glance at a color rather than grabbing my glasses to see what the weight is! LOL

I agree, it will be hard to find a maintenance buddy. No one I know wants to believe that this is a lifestyle change. They are too quick to quit dieting and then without watching themselves, they regain the weight.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #5  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

I like the green, yellow, and red zones, too. Good reminder.

Thanks very much for the link!

I've never seen an ad for a Weight Loss Maintenance group locally.

I'm very grateful for 3FC.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote