Weight Loss Support - How many calories do YOU consume?

View Full Version : How many calories do YOU consume?

mtp_and_hmp
10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Does anyone here eat Boca Burger products? I -love- burgers, ribs, sausage, etc, but they really mess with my stomach ever since I went a long time without eating them. Not to mention they made me gain weight :eek: Now I eat a Boca Burger for lunch (and sometimes dinner, too) and I'm LOSING weight!

I'm going to buy lots of fruits and veggies to snack on when we buy groceries this weekend. I'm really looking forward to "starting" again. Plus, my elliptical trainer is being delivered today! I can't wait to be able to workout every day without having to worry about whether or not my husband will get home on time for me to go to the gym!

One more thing. For those of you who count your calories (or just have a general idea of) what's your average daily intake? I used fitday for a few days and it really made me realize that I need to start taking my OneADay vitamin again!

I hope everyone is having a good day!

erinket
10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I shoot for 1800-1900 and am losing about a pound a week.

Tisha___
10-11-2006, 03:21 PM
What's a Boca Burger???

I try to stay between 1,200 and 1,500 calories per day. I've lost 8lbs total - 5lbs the first week, 2lbs the second week, 1lb last week.

Hope this helps.

:)

lilybelle
10-11-2006, 03:27 PM
When I have checked my calories, they averaged 1500 a day.

athenac
10-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I love Boca Burgers! Although, I don't eat them very often because they're expensive and are rarely on sale. I usually eat between 1200-1500 calories a day, and I'm at a steady pace of two pounds a week.

mtp_and_hmp
10-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Tisha - Boca Burgers are vegan burgers, chicken patties, ribletts, wraps, chicken nuggets, and the list goes on.

athenac - Our local Winco sells them for $1.98 for a pack of 4! The Save Mart near where we live sells them for $4.98 for a pack of 4. Needless to say, we shop at Winco for them even though my husband works for the corporate side of Save Mart! lol

Tara D
10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Fitday definitely got me taking my vitamins again, too. I had way too many nutrients in red and way too few in black without them.

Glory87
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Not sure how a boca burger could make anyone gain weight (aren't they like 100 calories a burger?), unless you were eating enough of them to affect your calories for the day! I love boca burgers, Garden burgers and Morning Star Farms veggie burgers. My favorites are the savory portabello mushroom and spicy black bean burgers. I like to crumble them up and make veggie tacos. I also really like Morning Star Farms veggie sausages (links).

I lost the first 50+ lbs eating 1400-1600 calories. I reached 140 lbs (down from 195+) and plateaued from March - June. After awhile, I figured I was maintaining and increased my calories to 1800-2000. Over the next 9 months, I lost an additional 13 lbs. I now weigh 127 lbs (between 127 and 130) and maintain on 1800-2000 calories. Sometimes, I'm hungrier and eat a little more, it usually evens out when I'm not as hungry the next day.

I emphasize healthy, whole foods. I eat foods with powerful nutritional properies and avoid foods with neglible nutritional benefit. I don't drink soda, I don't eat fast food (except for turkey wraps at Subway). It definitely works for me! Good luck :)

mtp_and_hmp
10-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Glory87 - I meant that I love regular (read: meat) hamburgers, etc, and I was gaining weight eating those. So I switched to Boca Burgers and it satisfies my cravings and I'm not gaining weight.

Glory87
10-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh! I thought you meant you loved the Boca products (burgers, sausages, made sense there would be a "rib meat" meat-less product to me!).

mtp_and_hmp
10-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Yea, I love Boca Burger products now! haha I'm glad I finally decided to try them. My body simply cannot handle real meat anymore. Good thing, too, because I would weigh a lot more if I was eating the "real" thing! hehe

jcatron243
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I calorie cycle: two 1200cal days three 1400 cal days and 2 1700 cal days. I average 1430-1450 per day. I lost a total of 17 pounds in 2 months. (although the last 2.5 weeks I was at a small plateau) I also work out everyday I try for at least 60 minutes.

joyofsix
10-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Boca-I like them, my kids like them too. I just don't think we should over do the soy so it's a once a week treat sort of thing.

Calories- I've lost 25 pounds over six months on 1800 calories/day. Slow loss but this is a way I can live for the rest of my life. I stress tons of veggies, fruits, some whole grains, a little fish, meat and dairy.

sotypical
10-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I try and go for more of an average then a daily number. But between 1200-1600 keeps me happy and I am happy as long as my weekly average around 1600 or less. But I do no exercise. When I started exercise again will probably put that up to at least 1700.

I am losing 1-2 pounds a week.

morrigan
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I tracked my calories daily for over a year in the late 1990's.
I am 5'2" and was about 50 lbs over weight and exercising about 3 days per week for 45 minutes

1200-1400 resulted in an average loss of 1.987 lbs per week
1500-1700 resulted in an average loss of 1.07 lbs per week
around 1800 stayed the same
around 2000 gained

This freaked me out at the time becaues the recommended calories per day was 2400 ~ and I can easily consume 3000+ with desert, seconds, and a few glasses of wine ~ I guess part of it is metabolism and being short. But it was a tough pill to swallow that unless I wanted to continue gaining for the rest of my life, I need to be under 1800 calories.

kateful
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
My average for the seven weeks I've been counting is 1387 per day. My exercise has been sporadic, but I'm trying to stabilize it. So far, I've lost 11 pounds. My weigh in this week is tomorrow.

isthatreallyme
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
i am about 1600-1800 a day and i have been losing about 2-3 lbs a week so far.... i haven't started exercising yet (still trying to figure out what I want to do, lol I have no willpower and tend to dislike most things that in my mind are exercise)

i may up my allowance once i get excersising, but we'll see how that goes...

AmberNichole1983
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I like garden burgers better than boca burgers. :) As for the calories i gain weight eating 1200 calories a day for some reason so i eat about 500 calories a day and have lost a little over 20lbs in the last 5-6 weeks when i eat around 800 i maintain my weight. I think i might have a thyroid problem or something, because i know thats not normal.

kateful
10-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I like garden burgers better than boca burgers. :) As for the calories i gain weight eating 1200 calories a day for some reason so i eat about 500 calories a day and have lost a little over 20lbs in the last 5-6 weeks when i eat around 800 i maintain my weight. I think i might have a thyroid problem or something, because i know thats not normal.

Holy cow! Do you exercise? I hope you are making REALLY nutritious choices for that 500 calories.

Tara D
10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
AmberNichole...Have you or have you considered being medically evaluated for this? I think it might be worthwhile. You don't want to end up with osteoporosis or a weak heart because of accidental malnutrition.

AmberNichole1983
10-11-2006, 06:59 PM
I take vitamins so i get most everything i need. I have always had a slow metab though and i have never really been overweight though, because i always watched what i eat (untill recently when i got up to 180) But i donno i do eat pretty healthy i think lol I eat alot of veggies, apples, gardenburgers, grilled chicken ect. I only at about 350 calories yesterday and was totally full from that. I can't psycally eat 300 calores in one sitting, it makes me sick and my stomach feels like it's going to split open lol

So here is an example of what i'll eat in one day

Breakfast--3 egg whites with a tablespoon salsa (about 60 calores)
lunch--Some steamed veggies, mostly zuccinni and squash (about 50 calories)
snack- an apple, carrot or some bullion broth, ect.. (anywhere from 10-100 calores)
Dinner--grilled chicken breast (about 150 calories)

I just can't get my calores up over that without eating unhealthy or stuffing myself so much that i am in pain from ebing sooo full

kateful
10-11-2006, 07:55 PM
If you don't get any fat, some of those vitamins you are taking aren't doing you any good. You do know that what you are doing isn't healthy, right? Even if you just lay on your back all day and didn't breath much, your body would need at least three times your daily intake just to keep your heart beating and your eyes blinking.

isthatreallyme
10-11-2006, 08:19 PM
ya, you definitely aren't getting enough of anything, i'm surprised you haven't been fainting...

redsoxgirl
10-11-2006, 08:22 PM
I eat about 1800 a day and have been losing about 1 or 2 a week. I'm trying to lose the last 20 and I seem to be at a plateau so I may need to reduce that. I exercise pretty hard most days, if it's an off exercise day I try and eat less.

I love boca.....just a tip for boca lovers, the ground beef is excellent. I use it in chili, or a taco salad, with pasta.....all kinds of ways. It's so good and for boca stuff it's not that expensive.

AmberNichole1983
10-11-2006, 08:42 PM
i haven't fainted or been light headed or anything like that. I have plenty of energy and feel fine. I actually donate blood and all my pre tests come up fine (iron, heart rate, Bp, ect..) Like i said i maintain at 800 calores a day so maybe my body is just weird i donno lol

Ashley103
10-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I always thought women were supposed to consume approx 2000 calories per day to maintain. Last year I signed up for a couple sessions with a nutritionist and was surprised to find that was too many for me. She had a lengthy formula that calculated the calories for each person. After factoring in my age, BMI, physical activity level, lifestyle and height I was told that maintenance for me is 1450-1550 calories per day. I have to eat approx 1200 calories and exercise faithfully to lose 1-2 pounds per week.

Jasmine31
10-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Amber I am going to spank you! lol I am worried about you and I really wish you would see a doc hun. Your body could start eating itself and / or the muscle at that calorie level. :hug: Womens Nutrition Health Guide (http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm)

Anyhow a few days ago I looked at my average for 7 days and it was 1850. I walk 60 minutes every day and lose 2 - 3 pounds a week.

almostheaven
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't really count my calories, but I do run a rough estimate in my head. I'd say I average around 1500/day. Some days around 1300 is plenty, others, I can do 1800, but most days it's somewhere in between.

When I first started changing what I eat, I did the Bocas too. Over the years though, I've found what works better for me, taste-wise. It's like, soy mayo beats fat free mayo hands down in taste. And turkey burgers (real meat) beats Boca...for me anyway.

AmberNichole1983
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
wow i checked out that site and this is what it said. I don't understand though, when i was eating about 1200 calories a day i went from 110lbs to 180 lbs in 2 years. I don't think my baody can handle that much food, if i ate that much i don't even want to think of the ammount that i would gain! Wow

"These results will help you to know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, and the number of calories needed per day to achieve your goal weight in a healthy, steady manner.

You need 2111.3 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 1898.6 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1611.3 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2611.3 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week."

Zorak
10-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I eat 1800-2000 calories a day. Fortunately I'm close to my goal weight and I don't forsee having to lower it any. The vast majority of what I eat is healthy food however.

Jasmine31
10-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Amber I do know that if your body thinks it is starving, it will also hold onto fat. If i were you get your cals up to 1200 a day. Divide it into 5 small meals a day that will keep your metabolism going, start walking for exercise. If you have trouble eating much, start drinking slimfast shakes. Maybe two a day wouldn't hurt. Then do your chicken and veggies for dinner. Throw in some fruit thru out the day. :D Have you read her story?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601

AmberNichole1983
10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
I tried doing it like that before, even had a gym membership, my personal trainer told me to eat more and i managed to get up to 1500 a day (which was total **** and i was eating 24/7 to get up that high) I did it like that for about a month and gained 5lbs. I went to the gym 6 days a week and ate as much as i could and since i gained weight it totally defeted the purpose so i stopped and went back to how i know i will lose weight. I have eaten like this for almost 10 years (low cal) and the last 2 years i have been trying to be pretty normal in my eyes, eating around 1000 calories a day and thats how i got 180. I can't eat that much again, i'm sick of gaining weight and having to eat all the time. I don't like eating that much. Today i ate 140 calories, but i'm about to eat a chicken breast so it should be more like 300. I donno i just can't eat more, there is no way i could sit down and eat something thats more than 150 calories, i can't mentally do it or physicaly do it.

WhitWhit
10-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Amber I am going to spank you! lol I am worried about you and I really wish you would see a doc hun. Your body could start eating itself and / or the muscle at that calorie level. :hug: Womens Nutrition Health Guide (http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm)

Anyhow a few days ago I looked at my average for 7 days and it was 1850. I walk 60 minutes every day and lose 2 - 3 pounds a week.

Jasmine,

I am curious about your walking. I have started walking because I hate exercise and it is the easiest thing for me to do. Plus, I find that it is stress reliever, I don't mind doing it, and I can honestly see myself doing it long term.

So my questions to you -
1 - Do you walk outside or on a treadmill?
2 - If on a treadmill, do you walk at an incline?
3 - How many miles do you typically walk in 60 minutes?

WhitWhit
10-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Amber,

Trust me, I understand.

First - I tried the "eat mini-meals" or "eat every 3 hours" routines and I hated it. I have a busy schedule and I cannot snack througout the day. Also, I felt as though I was an animal on some type of feeding schedule.

Second - You really need to do what works for you. I have a Gastrointestinal issue/disorder that has to be controlled by diet, or else I go on medication. I already take a perscription laxative (sorry if that is too much information) and from doctor's orders I am not supposed to eat constantly or eat when I feel as though my food hasn't digested. This site is great, but people should not be giving out medical advice regarding metabolism or anything else. When people tell me to eat more I know that I should not because it messes with my disorder and I refuse to land in the hospital again.

Third - The best thing is to do what feels right. For me, that's no spicy food and 3 medium sized meals throughout the day. Eating tons of mini-meals or 1500-2000 calories will land me BACK in the hospital. People are often overindulging and being greedy and then saying, "I ate so much that I felt sick." Well, I have actually eaten so much, which would likely be considered just above normal, and have BEEN sick.

Fourth - Just be healthy about it and do what feels right.

Seriously, go see a doctor, maybe your body is trying to tell you something. I know that everyone does not have my problem and can eat 1500-2000 calories, and heck, sometimes I WANT to eat more, but I know that I will be in big trouble if I do.

WhitWhit
10-12-2006, 05:33 AM
The link below is to a man's blog detailing his food and exercise. He typically consumed 1400-2000 calories daily, exercised, and maintained a weight of 200+

http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/sloppyalien/CategoryView,category,Food%20Exercise%20Journal.as px

isthatreallyme
10-12-2006, 06:11 AM
This site is great, but people should not be giving out medical advice regarding metabolism or anything else.

Nobody was giving out medical advice, but the fact of the matter is that 500 calories a day is not healthy for the vast majority of people and it is exceedingly difficult to be getting proper nutrients with that sort of calorie intake. Most people are expressing concern, and their opinion that it would be a good idea to see a doctor for an expert opinion. People can give definitely give their opinion just like you are here giving yours.

AmberNichole1983
10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks WhitWhit, i know it's not normal but thats what i feel good about and what my body is happy with. I get blood tests all the time and they are normal so i'm pretty sure my vitamins are doing their job. Like i said i have tryied doing it normally and i gain weight, my body can't deal with that much food. I agree maybe i should go to a doctor, but right now i really don't have the means too. I have dental and vision insurance, but for us to get health insurance through my husbands work is over $200 a week and we still have to pay $4000 out of pocket before they will cover anything. So right now no doctors for me lol But i feel good, i feel full and eating low cal is what i know and i have been eating like that for 10 years so thats just what my body can handle and is built for i guess. I'm sorry if i can't go to mcdonalds and plosih of a tripple bacon cheeseburger with fries and soda, but i just can't Also another thing that keeps my calories low is i ONLY drink water, i don't like soda or juice so i get no calories from what i drink. Thanks for caring though ladies, you really are sweethearts!

ThinAgainBeginAgain
10-12-2006, 09:52 AM
I don't count religiously, but, when I've written it down, just to check it, I've hovered between 1500 calories and 1900 calories. I have a thyroid disorder (I'm on synthroid), so I'm careful not to go too low, because that just messes with my metabolism and makes losing weight impossible. I have the best luck keeping my weight off when I lose only a pound or two a week. The biggest factor in the amount of weight I lose is exercise. Especially because I'm over 40!

WhitWhit
10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Nobody was giving out medical advice, but the fact of the matter is that 500 calories a day is not healthy for the vast majority of people and it is exceedingly difficult to be getting proper nutrients with that sort of calorie intake. Most people are expressing concern, and their opinion that it would be a good idea to see a doctor for an expert opinion. People can give definitely give their opinion just like you are here giving yours.

Ooooooooh...no need to get testy...lighten up! :dizzy:

isthatreallyme
10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Ooooooooh...no need to get testy...lighten up! :dizzy:

i'm not the one being accusatory of everyone in this thread :dizzy:

kateful
10-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks WhitWhit, i know it's not normal but thats what i feel good about and what my body is happy with. I get blood tests all the time and they are normal so i'm pretty sure my vitamins are doing their job. Like i said i have tryied doing it normally and i gain weight, my body can't deal with that much food. I agree maybe i should go to a doctor, but right now i really don't have the means too. I have dental and vision insurance, but for us to get health insurance through my husbands work is over $200 a week and we still have to pay $4000 out of pocket before they will cover anything. So right now no doctors for me lol But i feel good, i feel full and eating low cal is what i know and i have been eating like that for 10 years so thats just what my body can handle and is built for i guess. I'm sorry if i can't go to mcdonalds and plosih of a tripple bacon cheeseburger with fries and soda, but i just can't Also another thing that keeps my calories low is i ONLY drink water, i don't like soda or juice so i get no calories from what i drink. Thanks for caring though ladies, you really are sweethearts!

If that's the message you got out of my comments, then I need some lessons in communication. There's a big difference between 500 calories a day and 1600 calories in one meal.

No body over 2 years old is built for 500 calories for an extended time. I know some doctors prescribe a very low calorie liquid diet for the very obese, but even that's not sustained. I don't know how old you are, but watch out for osteoporosis (which wouldn't show up in a blood test). Not sure what other health issues might result from chronic malnutrition except heart problems such as those experienced by anorexics. But, good luck with your plan.

BerkshireGrl
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
But i feel good, i feel full and eating low cal is what i know and i have been eating like that for 10 years so thats just what my body can handle and is built for i guess.

I just checked out your LiveJornal post of your "before & after" photos posted today. After looking at the one on the right, I seriously am scared to think you see yourself as needing to lose 50 pounds. And calling yourself a fat cow is just cruel and vastly untrue.

And looking a bit further down at your collection of photos of extremely skinny girls (under "Lost 2lbs" on 10/11)... well, speaking as someone who had an eating disorder herself, I honestly don't think most of those women have healthy bodies. Truly, most appear anorexic.

Your body, your life, but I am worried that you are on track to become very ill if you aspire to that level of appearance.

With your routinely eating 100 calories a day per your journal, you are running a high risk of illness, vitamins on the side regardless! Your body will get protein from your muscles, including your heart, and that is so, so dangerous.

mom2cole
10-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Ambernicole, I just checked out your website and your before and after pictures. I think you need to get a new scale because there is NO WAY you weighed 180lbs to start with, I weigh 152 right now and you look a heck of a lot skinnier in the 180 picture than I do at 152. You do need to get some help, you are not losing the weight like you want to because you are not giving your body the fuel it needs to burn fat/calories. It is holding on to every shred of food you feed yourself because it is starving to death!

sierra_ttw
10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm going to have to agree with pretyt much everyone else here. I looked at your webpage, and read through some of your posts on there. You are absolutely not in a mindframe where you're wanting to lose weight healthily and I think that you know that. Your posts on your website are all about restricting yourself, testing yourself, fasting, etc. This isn't healthy. You said that you've had an ED in the past, and I think that you need to get some professional help. I know you said that insurance isn't something you can afford right now, but there are supprt groups you can go to, and there are people you can talk to. You have 2 kids - and from what I've read on your site you've come through a lot, and the fact that you're where you are is pretty amazing. You may think you can live a normal life with an ED, but what happens when your daughter starts emulating you, or you end up sick in the hospital and can't look after them? I'm sorry if I sound kind of harsh, but after reading your website, I think that you need help.

AmberNichole1983
10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
ok i know that eating under 500 isn't healthy, but thats the only way i can lose weight. I ate pretty normal and that got me up to 180 and i can't get that high again, i wont. I don't think i have an eating disorder right now though, i could eat 800 calories, but i would feel sick and i wouldn't lose any weight. My kids see me eat all the time so i doubt it's affecting them in anyway. I do eat many times a day it's just really low calorie stuff. 2 years ago i was 110lbs and i want to be there again, i feel like i'm trapped in this body thats not mine and i don't want to be in it anymore.

pixiefalls
10-13-2006, 01:19 PM
ok i know that eating under 500 isn't healthy, but thats the only way i can lose weight. I ate pretty normal and that got me up to 180 and i can't get that high again, i wont. I don't think i have an eating disorder right now though, i could eat 800 calories, but i would feel sick and i wouldn't lose any weight. My kids see me eat all the time so i doubt it's affecting them in anyway. I do eat many times a day it's just really low calorie stuff. 2 years ago i was 110lbs and i want to be there again, i feel like i'm trapped in this body thats not mine and i don't want to be in it anymore.

Sweetie.. 110lbs would be UNDERWEIGHT for 5'7''. I'm 5'6'' and the lowest I could go (if I was small framed.. and I'm not) would be 118. Yes, that has to say something there. And the girl in your avatar with her ribs sticking out is NOT hott. I could gain (and have been lately) with eating anything around 1600 because I have restricted my calories WAY too much for months and my metabolism has slowed down and I need to build muscle to help fix that problem. When I was really restricting I could hardly eat much and I would feel super stuffed after little things like you. It's because you are sooooo used to it. Please go get help.. for you.. your husband.. and your kids.

Oh and being a member of "proanorexia" and "proanorexia2" on your livejournal.. isn't helping prove a point that you only need 500 calories. Mmhmm.

AmberNichole1983
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
nice find, but i'm a member because i DID have an eating disorder, i don't think i have one now though. If i didn't eat at all i would say i have an ED. Back when i did have an ED i would go 3 weeks without eating, i don't do that now.

sierra_ttw
10-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Your journal entries tell a different story - all you talk about is restricting, eating as little as you can, resisting the food your husband brings home... we're not trying to attack you here. I've been there before, and I understand the pull of it, but I also understand how much it messes you up. And I'm sorry, but kids aren't stupid, and when your daughter is 10 and realizes that all mommy does is nibble at carrot sticks and drink broth all day, I think she'll figure it out. And pro-ana sites aren't for people who are recovering. I'm sorry that you're where you are, but I still think you need help.

lilybelle
10-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I also read your website page and believe you need to think again about not having an ED now. Sorry, but feel that it would be negligent of me not to mention it. Sorry to hear of all the terrible things that have happened in your life. Beautiful children that really need a healthy mom there. I am not at all trying to attack you.

AmberNichole1983
10-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Your journal entries tell a different story - all you talk about is restricting, eating as little as you can, resisting the food your husband brings home... we're not trying to attack you here. I've been there before, and I understand the pull of it, but I also understand how much it messes you up. And I'm sorry, but kids aren't stupid, and when your daughter is 10 and realizes that all mommy does is nibble at carrot sticks and drink broth all day, I think she'll figure it out. And pro-ana sites aren't for people who are recovering. I'm sorry that you're where you are, but I still think you need help.

If you husband or whoever brought you a whole bunch of fried shrimp, egg rolls, fried rice and stuff like that wouldn't you resisting eating that foods too? (i still ate the chniese food though, but i sure didn't eat all of it at once), what is so weird about that? I don't try to eat as little as i can, i just try staying in the amount i set for myself. There has been a couple times i did try to eat as little as i could, but i wanted to fast. That ended up only lasting one day and even then i had broth and stuff.

pixiefalls
10-13-2006, 03:35 PM
nice find, but i'm a member because i DID have an eating disorder, i don't think i have one now though. If i didn't eat at all i would say i have an ED. Back when i did have an ED i would go 3 weeks without eating, i don't do that now.

Then why don't you get rid of them? You can go back and resign from being a member. Oh and yes you can be anorexic with eating a little amount of food.. you don't just have to not eat anything. I'm also not trying to attack you and I'm not arguing for the sake of argument but I'm sure you want to be there for your family and they need a healthy mom and wife. Please try and take care of yourself the best you can.

Glory87
10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Read your site - it made me cry. Please seek immediate assistance, who cares how much it costs, what is your life worth?

flxthct107
10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I have been averaging 1350 a day over the last 2 weeks (just got back on track again) and have lost 2.5lbs each week. This seems to be working very well for me. I feel very satisfied, but not stuffed. I also do atleast 3 days cardio and 2 days strength a week. If I do a super hard workout and feel I need more food then I eat it and then just try and keep things on the lower side the next day.

flxthct107
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow Amber, I just read your journal as well. Pretty please for your kiddos sake get some help.

kierr
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
OK, I'm 5'8" and I eat about 1500 calories a day and work out 3 days a week and I'm losing approximately 2-3 pounds a week.

500 calories a day? Give me a break. Anything under 1000 is bad, bad bad. If you are gaining weight on anything more than 800 calories it is either because

A. You screwed up your metabolism with your ED and now you are stuck with an extra slow metabolism

Or

B. You have a medical problem that needs to be addressed by a physician

Or

C. You have WAAAAAAAY miscalculated how much you eat in a day.

I don't mean to pick on you but you gotta face the facts, and you know them too well.

BerkshireGrl
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Amber, I hope you don't feel like this is some big tackle on top of you. Really, we are just worried for you.

You have been through things I can't even imagine and you are obviously a strong woman. You can rise above this thinking of ever increasing restriction. I know you gained weight from "normal" calories, but I believe only because your body was used to such tremendously low calories from your previous eating disorder. Being anorexic messes up metabolisms, not forever across the board, but it can linger. There is help you can get though so you can lose weight in a healthy way.

Eating the way you are now is harmful to you. It might not seem that way now because you are so used to it, but it is. Your body is tough and can keep you going under fire for a long time but eventually it will give out... and I think you have many beautiful things to live for. Don't let this crappy eating disorder suck you under.

p.s. You might want to check out the "Something Fishy" website. It's pro-recovery and full of people who have overcome this. I know how hard food/weight can be, but it doesn't have to be your life or consume it. Best wishes.

Jasmine31
10-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey Amber just seen this and wanted to stop by and give you a hug. :hug: I know this might sound silly to others here, but I read her journal too, quite a few days ago and really connected with her. I really like her. I added her to my journal. She is a great person and I know she is trying to be the best mom and wife she can be. It isn't easy to juggle everything when you have been thru what she has been thru and are dealing with present stuff now plus balancing two small kids. I know the drill. I have been there. I am just very glad I am in a place now with a new hubby where I can finally focus on me and my health.

Whitwhit I know what ya mean about medical advice. I am no doc but I have seen her journal entrys and I do know she is possibly damaging her body. That is why I have told her many times to go see a doc. I also understand the insurance stuff. Amber, try seeing if you can get on any form of state medical. Even with him working, if he doesn't make enough you might be eligible. It is worth a shot. Is there a local W.I.C. office? They provide nutritional advice for free and would help with healthy food for the kids.

Amber, I am very worried about you and I do care about you. You are worth seeking help for and so are your kids. Sometimes when the body gets used to low amounts of food it will make you sick to eat more. I know concentration camp victims had to be careful adding more food back in to their diet or they could get sick and die, many of them did. I still think you should figure a way to get to 1200 a day. Please get help! :hug: You know I am here for ya chickie!

Whitwhit:

Jasmine,

I am curious about your walking. I have started walking because I hate exercise and it is the easiest thing for me to do. Plus, I find that it is stress reliever, I don't mind doing it, and I can honestly see myself doing it long term.

So my questions to you -
1 - Do you walk outside or on a treadmill?
2 - If on a treadmill, do you walk at an incline?
3 - How many miles do you typically walk in 60 minutes?

Okay well I do not use a treadmill. I walk around my neighborhood, or to the local liquor store etc. It is about 3 miles per hour. So every 60 minutes is 3 miles. I did take a while to build my walking back up:

April 2006 220 minutes total

May 2006 760 minutes total

June 2006 1060 minutes total

July 2006 1730 minutes total

August 2006 1185 minutes total

September 2006 1695 total!!!

That is great you have decided to start! I LOVE it. It also helps if you have problems with depression. I am trying to convince my mom in law to walk but she won't. Eventually I want to join a gym and start strength training too but for now this is all I do. :D

AmberNichole1983
10-13-2006, 11:45 PM
I would really love to get into counseling, i have never dealt with anything i have gone through and i really would like to do that.
Right now we make too much to get one any state medical or anything like that, but we make to little to afford over 200 a week. So we are pretty much stuck in the middle. I used to be on WIC back when my kids were babies, but we make to much for that too (they always told me i ate to little too lol) I think the income limit here where i live for any state assistance (medicaid/food stamps/WIC is like 1500 a month for a family of 4. That is impossible to live off. We probably make about (i'm not shy) $3000-$3500 a month. Our rent takes about 1/3rd of that and all the rest goes to bills. I can't see taking almost another 1/3rd of our income just for insurance when we would have to pay $4000 before they would even start covering anything. Ahhhh the heath system here in the US totally sucks.
But anyways truthfully i don't want to eat more, i don't want to get help for my eating, i want to lose more weight. I know i would get seriously depressed if i started gaining the weight back and i think that would be worse for my health. I have also been dianosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression and Bipolar so i have other stuff that i'm dealing with too. I know i'm all screwed up.

Glory87
10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
But anyways truthfully i don't want to eat more, i don't want to get help for my eating, i want to lose more weight. I know i would get seriously depressed if i started gaining the weight back and i think that would be worse for my health.

Death will be worse for your health. If you won't eat for you, eat for your kids. They should grow up with a mother, they should see you in the audience when they graduate from high school, they should get to have you hold their babies.

500 calories a day, not wanting to eat - this is as serious as it gets. You will kill yourself. Another candle (http://www.something-fishy.org/memorial/memorial.php) for the memorial.

Jasmine31
10-14-2006, 01:11 AM
But anyways truthfully i don't want to eat more, i don't want to get help for my eating, i want to lose more weight. I know i would get seriously depressed if i started gaining the weight back and i think that would be worse for my health.

I hear ya about not wanting to gain. What I was thinking though is once your body gets used to eating a little more food again though you should start losing. Right now it might think it is in a famine and may be actually holding onto the extra weght. Either way, no matter what, you know I am here for ya! I have given my best advice. I don't know what to do about the doc thing. I was trapped in that scenario before with my ex. We made just enough to not qualify for anything. And it was too expensive to go to the doc. :(

lilybelle
10-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Glory, thanks for the candle post, I've never saw that and it brought tears to my eyes. I agree 100% with what you have said.

Amber, there is no "beating around the bush" or "sugar-coating", this, get help now before it's too late. Being thin, means absolutely nothing when you're not alive to enjoy life, love and family.

Allycatisfat
11-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I know this thread has died out..but I am interested to know if Amber made any progress. Darling, you are 5'7". A healthy weight frame for our height is like 140-160. I know at 160, I was smokin' hot. Know this, if you consume more than your average 800 calories a day..you WILL gain weight because your body has probably slowed up quite a lot. But, you also need to gain weight. Your metabolism is going nowhere, probably. I'm not attacking you, here...

One time I had tried the "Eat small meals throughout the day" instead of three and I was miserable because I was full by lunch and couldn't face the rest of the food I brought. Heh. There are ways to increase calorie intake without being full. Calorie dense healthy food...like cheese and peanut butter. Have a slice of whole grain bread with a table spoon of peanut butter. Have a serving of cheese. There is no nutrition in broth. Why bother? It's just sodium. In your case, you need to go up the scale. Our heights require more weight. It's not about being a stick, it's about being healthy so we can enjoy our lives. All of us here have issues with this in some form or another. I'm a binger..like many others. Carb addicts... What have you. Why are you eating just egg whites? Eat two eggs instead of the whites. That will give you healthy fats to go along with an increase of calories. Sautee your chicken breast in heart healthy, calorie dense olive oil with some rosemary and garlic.

And like someone recommended, get a shake and have that once a day. Like an ensure or a slim fast. Drink it in the morning with breaskfast or in between breakfast and lunch.

Doctor's are expensive, but support groups are free. Even if you don't believe yourself to be anorexic, find a support group for it anyways and just go to listen. Who knows? Maybe you are. Maybe your not.

almostheaven
11-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm interested too myself now. I didn't see this thread initially, but because of the new post, I just skimmed through the thread and Amber's journal. I'm gonna jump on the beat up Amber bandwagon. LOL Seriously though, I don't think anyone's beating up on you, but concerned. I too would have to agree that you DO still have an ED. And ED doesn't mean you go 3 days without eating. That's just ONE form of ED. EDs come in many many forms...not eating, throwing up, eating too little, exercising too much, eating too much, taking tons of diet pills...anytime someone has a distorted body image or a problem with food, it can be termed an ED. And from the looks of your journal, you DEFINATELY have a distorted body image. I was thinking OMG! too when I saw that at 5' 7", you wanted to be 110 pounds?!?!

Do you have any health insurance at all? With the income range you gave, I'm not even sure about income based clinics. But try one, DHHS can probably direct you, you may qualify for reduced or free counseling. If not though, and you have health insurance, check with your doctor. A referral is often all that is needed to get health insurance to pay for it.

ravotrina
11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Is weird how much calories you eat and lost weight. I eat 500 sometimes less if i don`t have time to have snacks.

azul
11-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I just now am getting back to this site and read this post. Amber how are you doing?

I too eat like Amber, I have not read her blog yet but will in just a bit.

In order for me to lose anyweight I can only eat between 400 to 600 a day and that is just to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. I do have a thyroid problem and I am on the pills but that does not help that much. When I was eating like this before to lose the 25 pounds I had gone to the doc and he wanted to pull all of my lab results, protein great (I am a vegan), Iron was good, B12 was at the right level. When I eat more I gain weight too. Who knows why this is. My sister is the same way. I went back to eating 1000 to 1200 cals a day and gained 10 pounds back. Now I am back to lose the weight again.

I am 5'7 started at 195 current 177 I am overweight

jillybean720
11-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Is weird how much calories you eat and lost weight. I eat 500 sometimes less if i don`t have time to have snacks.
Actually, for weight loss, it's not recommended that you eat less than 1200 calories a day without medical supervision (unless you have extenuating medical circumstances, perhaps like azul's thyroid disorder). Many women can healthfully lose weight on 1400 up to 2000 calories a day, depending on their current weight, starting weight, and level of activity.

Sojourner
11-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes PLEASE anyone out there if you are only eating 500-600 calories a day to lose weight you MUST go see a doctor immediately. It is very likely you have an eating disorder or a serious medical condition. Eating at such low calories will bring your metabolism to a standstill... you are literally starving yourself and could even be suffering from malnutrition.

No excuses... go to the doctor! If you have a history of eating disorders, find a support group or a counseling center that offers services on a sliding fee scale.

callystia
11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Eating at such low calories will bring your metabolism to a standstill... you are literally starving yourself and could even be suffering from malnutrition.

I can vouch for this personally. :( I know it feels like "control", that you have more willpower than other people, but you really are harming yourselves. I just wish I'd realized it sooner myself.

azul
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Please don't judge people on how much they eat. I do see a doctor and he knows what I eat and do not eat. I have had all of my blood work done and it is all fine. WEll to tell you the truth my mom is the same way, my grandma, my sister. We all all different. I went back and read ambers site and yes she does have a problem. But just becuase someone eats less then you does not mean they have a problem. "you are literally starving" yes it is hard not eating so many cal but for some reason tha is all I can eat. I have never had a ED. Okay maybe I have if you call eating to much. Please don't judge others on how many cal's they take in. EACH PERSON IS DIFFERNT AND HAS DIFFERENT REASON'S FOR HOW MUCH THEY EAT AND DON'T EAT!

Yes PLEASE anyone out there if you are only eating 500-600 calories a day to lose weight you MUST go see a doctor immediately. It is very likely you have an eating disorder or a serious medical condition. Eating at such low calories will bring your metabolism to a standstill... you are literally starving yourself and could even be suffering from malnutrition.

No excuses... go to the doctor! If you have a history of eating disorders, find a support group or a counseling center that offers services on a sliding fee scale.

callystia
11-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I wasn't judging you, Beth; I was speaking in general to those who DO cut their calories for the reason I stated, because I know several of them personally. :( I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

azul
11-07-2006, 01:47 PM
No biggie.

thank you for posting:hug:

I wasn't judging you, Beth; I was speaking in general to those who DO cut their calories for the reason I stated, because I know several of them personally. :( I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

jillybean720
11-07-2006, 02:52 PM
azul--the difference in that you HAVE seen a doctor. Otherwise, you wouldn't know about your thyroid condition, right? You know you have a diagnosed medical condition, which was included in the apparently "offensive" post, so clearly, it wasn't directed at you ;)

But whatever your reason for eating so little (aside from diagnosed medical issues--those are always the exception), the fact of the matter is that most of the time, eating so little will only hurt your metabolism and make it even HARDER to lose weight. When you eat so little, your body burns mostly MUSCLE, not fat, and since muscle at rest burns more calories than fat, and you're losing muscle due to undernourishment, you are decreasing the amount of calories you burn while at rest (basically, your metabolism).

Of course, I don't suggest jumping from 500 calories a day to 2000--anything drastic could be just as detrimental--but raising your calories slowly and gradually can help to repair your metabolism :^:

callystia
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Of course, I don't suggest jumping from 500 calories a day to 2000--anything drastic could be just as detrimental...

Dangit. *reluctantly puts down the M&Ms* :D

annabow
11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
How slowly should one raise one's daily calories still in an attempt to lose weight??

sotypical
11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Death will be worse for your health. If you won't eat for you, eat for your kids. They should grow up with a mother, they should see you in the audience when they graduate from high school, they should get to have you hold their babies.

500 calories a day, not wanting to eat - this is as serious as it gets. You will kill yourself. Another candle (http://www.something-fishy.org/memorial/memorial.php) for the memorial.

I just want to say my grandmother died this june from this EXACT reason. She couldn't eat, she wouldnt eat. She was in the hospital for months - they were force feeding her but it was too late. Her bones were almost breaking thru her skin. She was less then 70 pounds - and was a tall women.

snuggle
11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
There have been times I have eaten 500-900 calories per day. I always felt tired and dizzy and hungry. It's really not a good idea, and you don't really lose weight any faster so it's only causing harm with no good results.

Sojourner
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Azul I assumed you were under a doctor's supervision with regular check-ups because you do have a medical condition... my post wasn't directed to you for that reason. Sorry for the confusion.

In the bigger picture... pointing out that 500 calories a day qualifies as starvation and possible malnutrition is not judging someone... it is similar to suggesting that someone who is sevely obese may suffer from heart problems or diabetes. It is highly likely that anyone regularly eating 500-600 calories a day either has a medical condition OR an eating disorder... and in either case needs to see a doctor to have the situation properly diagnosed and monitored.

Allycatisfat
11-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Man, I can barely function below 2000 calories! I couldn't imagine how awful I'd feel at 500. I'd be a total zombie.

jillybean720
11-08-2006, 05:23 AM
It is highly likely that anyone regularly eating 500-600 calories a day either has a medical condition OR an eating disorder... and in either case needs to see a doctor to have the situation properly diagnosed and monitored.
YES. Excellently summed up. Even if the reason you eat so little is simply that you honestly cannot lose weight on more than 500-600 calories a day (or less), this is not normal, and there has to be a REASON. Go to a doctor, get your metabolism tested, get some blood work done, do whatever you have to do to FIND that reason because it may actually be a sign of a very serious health condition that may not be causing any additional symptoms now, but in time may become much worse. If nothing else, eating so little (even if you take a daily multivitamin) likely has you not getting enough nutrients and may eventually cause your nails to become brittle, your skin to become dry, your hair to become dry and brittle (or even fall out), and eventually your organs can even begin to shut down. Weight loss surgery patients can only take in very low amounts of calories daily, so they usually also end up having to take a LOT of nutrient supplements (and not just pop a couple pills in the morning--more like pop a handful of pills with every meal...and even then, it's sometimes not enough. I had a boss who had WLS, and even though she took everything as instructed by her doctor, her hair started to fall out :o ).

Of course, we all have days when you don't feel well or life just gets so hectic that you end up having only eaten a single meal for the day or only having grabbed some tiny snacks throughout the day, and that's okay--once in a while. It's when it becomes a steady habit over time that it can become a problem (or can be a sign of an underlying problem).

annabow--I'm not a medical expert (which is why when I see something abnormal, I suggest someone go SEE a medical expert ;) ), but I would suggest maybe raising your calories by 100/day for a week or two at a time until you get up to at least 1200.

annabow
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks Jilly I was thinking the same but you know what it's like when you wanna hear someone say the same thing lol.