South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/142/120

Height: 5"

Default Punishments/Rewards

How do you reward or punish yourself for staying on plan or for cheating? My previous rewards have always been food treats, but we all know that doesn't get you anywhere...
Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

You know, I really don't think it's productive to punish yourself when you mess up - I think it's important to just dust yourself off and get back on board - For me the perpetual thoughts just encourage my over eating -

As far as rewards are concerned, I had the thought this morning that I might reward myself every week that I make it through binge free - like go to the mall and find one really nice thing for myself every week that I am successful - thought it might be something think about when I turn to food for comfort
Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OMG! Life is hard anyhow so don't punish yourself! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. so be gentle with yourself. Keeping a journal is very helpful if you need to record your transgressions and successes!
Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

md8384, I agree with Sarah, punishments aren't a great idea. In fact, the best way to get past a binge or a fall off the wagon is to refrain from beating yourself up. Admit that you had a fall, figure out how it happened (and thus how to keep it from happening again) and move on. When we start beating ourselves up, we end up just doing the same behavior for a longer time...it turns into, "Well, I'm so bad that I might as well keep being bad..." etc.

Let's be more gentle and understanding with ourselves! We're human and make mistakes.

That said, I think rewards can be HUGE motivators! Like you mentioned, it makes much more sense to have non-food related ones. Not only do they motivate you, but they remind you that you love other things than food and help you to associate good feelings with things other than food. It's a win-win-win situation, I think!

Here are some threads that have suggestions for non-food rewards and other ways of rewarding yourself:

Beachgal's Rewards Thread

Sflake's Rewards Thread

Non-Food Rewards Thread

What Are Your Rewards? Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/216/147

Height: 5'8"

I agree with punishing yourself not working.... be proud of the changes you're making and remember most people don't even have the strength to try, never mind to pick themselves up and keep on going.

In terms of rewards/incentives - I'm putting aside a little bit of money every time I lose half a stone. I need to lose six stones so hopefully at the end there will be a nice little pile for me to be able to buy myself something - either some smaller clothes or at the minute I'm thinking a little bit of jewellery - it won't be anything flash with the budget I've got but I really like the idea of wearing a little ring or something every day and it being my reminder of the journey I've done and all the hard work I've gone through.

But I'm right at the start of this, so who knows what I'll think when I get there!!

Other non-food ideas for little treats along the way...
Long bubble bath
Haircut
New book / magazine / CD
Manicure
Old 10-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I agree with Ruth. Don't PUNISH, per se. Learn from it.

As far as rewards, if I make it to goal by Dec. 31st (from 209 to 189), I am getting a new bathing suit for our honeymoon -- we're taking it a few months late. It's hard to move away from the food rewards, I agree.

Since it is expensive to shop for a new wardrobe, I think that my rewards will be small pieces here and there...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/145/135

Height: 5'7 and a half

When I get to my goal weight, there are three things I'm going to buy:

A tight, straight-legged pair of jeans
Tall black boots
And a little black dress!

It helps to visualize myself in a new outfit, looking cute!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 PM   #8  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Well, if I do poorly, I "punish" myself by forcing myself to eat more vegetables.

I reward myself with new clothes and lip gloss when I do well.
Closed Thread