PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #1  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Question PCOSers-- dark skin patches?

I know that dark skin patches are a normal symptom of PCOS, and my doc has seen mine and isn't concerned about it being anything else. The problem is, I have this brown quarter-sized patch of skin under my left eye that became darker after my recent pregnancy. It doesn't seem to be fading any, and it's dark enough that I can't cover it with make-up. Has anyone found anything that actually lightens these spots? There are a million creams and lotions that claim to fade them, but I'm skeptical.
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I also have a patch under my left eye that I can't cover with cosmetics. My Dr. told me mine was from my high cholesterol and that it would never go away. I have actually had people to think mine was a big blotch of make-up. If anyone knows of anything that I could use to cover it, I'd love to know also.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #3  
LOSE LOSE LOSE

S/C/G: 323/---/290

Height: 5"5

I have patches under my eye i thought they were a brise at first , and then i looked closer and it looked like freckles , but i have never showed my dr so you think it could be the same thing , this is under my right eye. I find it semi ok to cover with make up but you can still see it through a lot of the time.

I also have patches on my sholder blades too but have never shown the dr them either. Do you think i should ?

Teresa
treezuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Amy--Did you see a dermatologist? Most likely, a dark patch on the face is either a lentigo (sunspot) ro a condition called melasma in which women develop dark patches on the face often related to the hormonal changes induced by pregnancy or oral contraceptive pills. In either case the first step for treatment is strict sun protection (sunscreen daily even in the winter). Besides that, a dermatologist can discuss with you the prescription strength cream options for treatment, since over the counter products tend to be less effective, and if used improperly can cause darkening of the skin. Other treatment options (laser, etc.) may also be available depending on the specific condition that you have. It sounds like your doctor didn't give you an idea of what this spot actually was. If this is the case, I would recommend you see a dermatologist because there is always a chance that a changing dark spot on the face could be something more serious like a melanoma.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #5  

Also, many dermatologists recommend cover-up products that are often available throught the major department store make-up counters. These are often used for patients with all sorts of pigmentary disorders of the skin, including things like vitiligo. The person at the store can teach you how to apply these correctly. The most popular ones are called Dermablend and Covermark. Still, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist, since he/she will be trained to identify what you have and the appropriate course of treatment.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #6  

Lily, you don't notice the spot in your pictures.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #7  
lilybelle

carol, No but it's very apparent if you see my face up close. Mine is actually lighter than the surrounding skin, light yellowish in color, impossible to hide with make-up. Also, beginning to have a small spot under the right eye, too.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #8  

Lilybelle, sounds like what your doctor described is a xanthelasma. These can be lasered off successfully or surgically excised (not the best option b/c of scarring), but otherwise are difficult to treat. You could try the Covermark or Dermablend to see if it evens out the skin tone in the area. However, since these spots are often a little bit raised (don't know if yours is or not), I'm not sure how effective coverup will be.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #9  
lilybelle

Thanks Tara, I do believe that is the technical term for mine. They aren't at all raised at this time. I will try the products you mentioned, I am very self-conscious of them. I wear glasses most of the time and this helps hide them a little. Since it would be considered cosmetic, my insurance wouldn't pay for the laser or surgery. I can't afford it otherwise.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #10  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
Amy--Did you see a dermatologist? Most likely, a dark patch on the face is either a lentigo (sunspot) ro a condition called melasma in which women develop dark patches on the face often related to the hormonal changes induced by pregnancy or oral contraceptive pills. In either case the first step for treatment is strict sun protection (sunscreen daily even in the winter). Besides that, a dermatologist can discuss with you the prescription strength cream options for treatment, since over the counter products tend to be less effective, and if used improperly can cause darkening of the skin. Other treatment options (laser, etc.) may also be available depending on the specific condition that you have. It sounds like your doctor didn't give you an idea of what this spot actually was. If this is the case, I would recommend you see a dermatologist because there is always a chance that a changing dark spot on the face could be something more serious like a melanoma.
Thanks for the info. Just my regular doc.. OB,actually ... has seen it, she's the one who told me dark skin spots are a normal symptom of PCOS. My insurance won't pay for a dermatologist (like someone else said this is considered cosmetic) but I'd like to go if I get the chance. I'm changing insurance soon so I'll see if I can afford to go then.
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I had a light brown patch on my chest (right in the cleavage!) but since improving my diet etc. it's not there! I actually just noticed it was gone after reading these posts, I was going to check if it was raised or not! It had been hanging around since I was pregnant 4 years ago. Maybe it's related? I am so clueless about this stuff...
Much love
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 AM   #12  
*The Mighty Power Piglet*

dermablend is an AWESOME coverup makeup, I use it for my tattoos.
Brytax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #13  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I have a dark patch between my breast and the back of my neck has the thick dark skin. I also have this dark skin on my inner thighs!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #14  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Ive always had a very dark chin...and the skin was always quite thick. Using any type of exfoliator, or deep skin cleanser made it seem more leathery, and scaley.

But I found very much by accident a product that has lightened my chin considerably!!!! To the point where I dont feel like I have to cover it with makeup anymore.
...its Loreal, Wrinkle De-Crease with Boswelox. I bought it for my wrinkles, and was pleasantly surprised to see my chin lighten. It took about 5+ weeks for me to notice the difference, but it was enough for me to try it on other parts of my body. I dont know yet if its making a difference, but its only been about a week.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #15  

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForHope16 View Post
I have a dark patch between my breast and the back of my neck has the thick dark skin. I also have this dark skin on my inner thighs!
It's called "Acanthosis nigricans", very common with those who have high insulin levels (caused by diabetes, pcos, IR, etc.). The neck, inner thigh, armpit and groin are common areas to find them- I have them too. They go away *gradually* if insulin levels are normalized.

Here's a few links to pictures:
http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailinde...6&groupIndex=1

http://www.dermis.net/dermisroot/en/34682/image.htm
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote