South Beach Diet - Phase 1 Group - Oct. 10 Start and later

Phish44118
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
:carrot: Hey everyone!

Who is doing Phase 1 right now? Want to check in daily on a thread? I am on day 2 of Phase 1. My first day was just fine. My eating was spot on, but I have a hard time sticking to anything for 2 weeks. I am determined this time and would love to chat with others in the same boat.

Phish

mgb4t
10-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi Phish,

Good for you for not giving up on yourself ! I'm just starting week 2 of P1. I survived the Thanksgiving weekend !! I was so scared I was going to fall of the wagon... well, I did drink a lot of wine, but hey, that's what being around family does to me :o)..... I found my 2nd day on P1 absoultely exhausting. I was so tired come 2:00 I could barely stand it. I was in bed by 8:00 p.m. and slept all the way through until 7:30 in the morning. Day 3 was much better and now I'm doing just fine. I get sugar cravings, but it's not so bad that I can't deal.

The frustrating part for me is that I can't find a scale so I have no idea if I've lost. My clothes feel exactly the same as they did a week ago.

We can only keep trying... (Hug)

active
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi Beach Buddies,

I am in the same boat, it almost embarrassing to even post, but I plan on starting P1 tomorrow. I really want to lose 20 pounds by the New Year. I had gone back to WW with some friends at work. All I have lost is money.

PLEASE, PLEASE let's get through this P1 together, P2 could actually be a lifestyle for me.

" Successful people do what unsuccessful people won't do!"

Are we successful or unsuccessful? Will we do P1 for 2 weeks??

Hugs,
Wanda

teezmum
10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm starting tomorrow:carrot:

We will do this have no dought:hug: It's just my hubby & myself at home,
so I've decided to really make this work for me, SB will be my bible.
Hubby doesn't have a weight problem & he's easy as far as what he eats, so he won't mind the LC at all.

I'm going to put all my recipe's away (far away) I think that is the only way I'll
be able to make SB a WOE for me. So I'll be picking up the SB Cook Book
tomorrow on my trek into town..Soooo, LET'S GET THE FAT OFF!!!!!!!!
WOOOHOOOO!!!!:dust: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

AmberD
10-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi!

I've been doing Phase 1 for a week. The week went fine, however, I failed miserably this weekend :(
I'm supposed to be doing Phase 1 with my friend, but I don't dare tell her when I slip up because she berates me.

HURRAY FOR LOSING WEIGHT AND BEING HEALTHY!

teezmum
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hello AmberD. Just put it all behind you,& carry on like it never happened ok
We can't take our cheats back anyway. Stressing about it will only drive you too cheat more, I know, I've been there many time's, & I'm still 40+lbs!!

So come post Amber, so we can SUPPORT EACH OTHER & STAY MOTIVATED!! ;) :hug:

mgb4t
10-11-2006, 09:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with a slip. It's better, I believe, if I has an intense craving for something to just have it - whatever it is - otherwise, I find that I personally eat around the craving and end up eating way more than I would've had I just had the damn craving satisfied in the first place.

I've been extremely anal this last week over P1 and I'm into week 2 of it now... I hope no one minds me still posting here... I still can't find a scale and I still can't tell if I've lost anything. My clothes don't feel any different. But, I have hope - my TMO is just around the corner so that could explain why. Maybe after my Aunt Flo leaves, I'll have dropped more than I dreamt possible...

Keep at it everyone and don't get discouraged from the slips - maybe try to see it as your body healing itself from the addictions... like when one quits smoking, it's suggested that they try to view their cravings as their bodies healing themselves.... like a scab getting itchy... okay, enough with the metaphors.....

Tamara

Ruthxxx
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Good for you chicks to start up a Phase I thread! Giving and getting support is the most important part of this website!

Phish44118
10-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Good morning ladies!

Today is day 3 for me, yesterday was tough, but I made it thru. I’ve lost 2 lbs since Sun. I know it’s just water, but it’s comforting all the same. Today is going to be tough bc I threw together a pretty nasty lunch – lima beans with a bit of diced ham. I am not looking forward to eating it at all, I might go hit the salad bar at the local deli instead.

Mgb4t – You made it thru Thanksgiving, I bow at your feet. You are awesome! The second week is easier, right? I did this like 4 years ago and remember the second week not being as bad, as far as being sleepy and fatigued goes. Not having a scale would drive me crazy, did you take measurements?
Active and Teezmum – Good luck with Day 1. Be strong, Day 2 was hard for me. Just buckle down and get the temptations out of the house, you can do it!
AmberD – Just get back to it, everyone slips up from time to time. You can do 14 solid days. You can.

mgb4t
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Phish - no, I didn't take my measurements. I do have them from last year though so maybe i'll pull them out and see if there are any changes... I just didn't even really plan on doing SB - it kind of happened. No planning, just jump right into it. It was one of those "I'm going to pull my hair out if something doesn't change soon" moments. I couldn't stand myself any longer. My weight at 190 may be a little high - or a little low - but not by much. I'm going from past experience. I'm a size 14 right now and typically, in the past, that size has been between 185 and 195 for me. I think I'll wait until that
TMO has come and gone before I measure and compare though -

AmberD
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!

I did SB in college with some of my roommates. The Phase 1 part was easy for us, it was Phase 2 that was KILLER! Something in our brains said OOOoooOOO we can have CARBS now!!! SWEET let's eat absolutely everything we weren't allowed to have the last two weeks!

That won't happen again! :)

Is everyone having a good day?

active
10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement!! I made it through Day 1 of Phase 1!!!
13 more to go!!

Amber-- I think you are right 2 weeks and then we lose control-- I am rereading the book and plan to introduce 1 carb/1 fruit a day. Hopefully we will still be here for each other during P2.

Phish-- Thanks for starting this thread!

Teez--Hope you made it thru day 1. I bought the cookbook-- it has some interesting ideas in it.

Tamara--Congrats on making it to Week 2!!

Do any of you exercise during P1? I did a 30 minute workout today and felt pretty good.

Here's my plan I told my hubby tonight-- I plan to lose at least 8 pounds by 1-1-07 and not gain the traditional 8 pounds over the holidays-- so that nets me 16--right!?! LOL

Have a great day tomorrow on P1,
Wanda

teezmum
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Hugs ladies:grouphug:

I did day 1 of phase 1 & I'm down 2lbs. I know it's water but, you got to start somewhere right?:D

I checked out the SB easy recipes book today, it was $30.00, so I'm going to wait till next week when I go to the bigger center's out of town.
I just got an idea,I'm going to check out ebay tonight..

I know we'll all have a great day2!!;)

Ruthxxx
10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Check out the recipe forum too. Some of the SBD Easy Recipes are already in there.

Phish44118
10-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey ladies! Day 4 of Phase 1 for me and I am feeling good today, I think I got over that first weak hump. I wasnít even hungry when I woke up this morning! So far I am down 2 lbs since Sunday, but today and yesterday I weighed the same. Thatís okay though. I only have 10 lbs to lose overall, so I would be happy if I could lose 5 during phase 1.

Amber Ė I did SB for the first time right after school and youíre right Phase 1 was much easier than doing Phase 2 correctly. I really hope that I can do it right this time. I plan on doing the same thing as you, 1 piece of fruit and 1 kind of carb a day. Probably oatmeal and brown rice and sweet potatoes as the carbs and Iíll have one kind a day. But I bought a bunch of tiny yams in preparation.

Active Ė I am working out. I ran 4 miles on Tuesday and did an hour of spinning on Wed, tonight I am running again. I felt kind of woozy on Tuesday, but spinning wasnít a problem.

Teezmum, definitely check out ebay or amazon for the book. Also, you can go to allrecipes.com and get a ton of South Beach recipes and just print them out. Check your local library too, you could always make copies of the ones you want to try.

mgb4t
10-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm so frustrated... I just spent 1/2 hour typing a message to everyone in here and when I went to post, I had to re-sign in and now my message is lost in space somewhere.
:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :bomb: :bomb: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :tantrum: :tantrum:
I'll try to post again in while - it was a damn good post too...

alantra
10-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I am Phase 1 Day 1 today!! Wooohoo..

I went and stocked up on good groceries last night so I am set for a few days anyways.. :)

Lori

One month, one day, 14 hours, 41 minutes and 13 seconds. 316 cigarettes not smoked, saving $126.45. Life saved: 1 day, 2 hours, 20 minutes.

bubblegummom
10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
well i go shopping on friday...so far i feel like i start phase 1 over every morning...its the little things..but with a groc day that will help... yesterday ended up like a phase 2 because i had a serving of fruit...opps

mgb4t
10-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, I drank waaayy too much wine again last night !!

I gotta quit that. Even if I'm good on all other aspects of the diet, the wine will be my downfall.

It's the weekend now and I'm going to do my best to stay away ....

britomart
10-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey everybody -- I'm on Day 1 right now. Seems to be going just fine, tho due to a crazy morning I haven't had lunch yet... I've eaten both my snacks and breakfast, but no lunch. I'm about to do that. i've got my day all out of whack.... But no serious cravings for anything yet (there have been cravings, but nothing too persistent!). So far it's pretty easy, but I hear the 2nd and 3rd days are the worst! So I won't jinx myself :)

Okay... have a great Friday everyone :)

RocknRoll
10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey guys! i just started today (14th) I have had success with SB in the past but all the weight is back... which sucks! I'm a vegan so no cheesey snacks for me! I'm also not eating nuts seeing that if i eat one i eat 500 hundred more :) i'm excited to finally lose the weight for good~!

britomart
10-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I have the same problem with nuts... I can't keep them around or I just keep munching! Any kind of snack food is hard for me in that regard.

I tried the faux-homefries this morning made with radishes... They were pretty good! Not quite like potatoes, but I don't usually crave potatoes. I actually really liked the way they still tasted like radishes, but dressed up with a bit of crumbled turkey bacon and some onions and chili powder. Mmm. I think I can get used to that :)

Hope everyone else's Phase 1 is going well!

Ruthxxx
10-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Nuts are evil! Roasted chick peas are tasty though. Remember to get your dairy and legumes and this will be easier!

mgb4t
10-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a good weekend on P1. I was supposed to start phasing out P1 so I started with going for East Indian Food on Friday night - NOT a good idea. Even though I stayed away from most of the really bad things, I still ate way too much. I think I ate more Friday than I have in 2 weeks ! :o The worst part is, when I wake up the next day after a big meal, I'm starving!

So Saturday I had 1 piece of multigrain toast and 1 fried egg. Lunch didn't happen, but had turkey soup for supper (it has corn and peas and turnip and carrots - so it's kind of heavy on the starch/sugar side). I allowed myself 4 potatoe chips that evening while watching a movie. Felt pretty good about Saturday all things considered... and then Sunday happened....:mad:

My TMO arrived on Saturday evening so I was feeling pretty crappy come Sunday. Had 1 egg, 1 1/2 pieces of toast and 4 strips of bacon for breaky. We ate late so no lunch. We had BF's parents over for dinner and I was so hungry come 3:00 that I started in on the chips on the table.... I don't know how many I had, but I know it was way too many. Ate bbq chicken (including the skin) for dinner. Pigged out on salad and spaghetti squash. So dinner wasn't a bust... had fresh strawberries and cool whip for desert...

Problem came later when I decided I wanted ice cream and I didn't care what it was going to do to me... :?: Had a Buster Bar from Dairy Queen. Now, Dairy Queen isn't ice cream, it's ice milk, but it had peanuts and fudge in it too. I have no idea of the fat/carb/calorie content, but I know it's huge.

I feel so guilty about it. P1 was frustrating for me because I couldn't feel any changes in my clothes. The scale said I was 180 on Friday, but I was guessing my SW at 190, so I may not have moved that much at all in the end... My pants are still tight. I'm hoping this all has to do with Aunt Flo, but I feel a little discouraged. If I could feel the difference, I would've stayed away from the Buster Bar.

Anyone feel like they're getting no where?

I'm back OP today - scrambled egg with slice of cheddar for bfast. I'm going back on P1 for the most part. I don't think I'm ready for P2 yet...

Phish44118
10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Sorry you had such a bad weekend mgbt

It will probably take a few days back on P1 for your weight to even back out.

Today is day 8 for me and my weight went up! But I won't stress yet. I had way too many nuts this weekend, and too much chocolate (sf) milk, so I am hoping it's from that.

Keep on trucking everyone.:carrot:

britomart
10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
This weekend was a learning experience for me -- namely that me and artificial sweeteners are even bigger enemies than me and real sugar are. I bought a couple of 'sweet treat' things that are P1-friendly and ate EVERYTHING in the course of two days. In theory, they should have all lated 2 weeks+. So the weekend was kind of a bust, but now I know that I can't even allow myself things like SF fudgcicles in the house. Seems like the only sweet thing I can have and not binge on is SF jello. Maybe because I don't like it that much :lol:

Today's going well, though, and I'm not giving up. I made this really, really weird thing for lunch because I was running low on energy and wanted some small amount of allowed carbs.... So I figured I'd make a chickpea and zucchini patty. I put the chickpeas and zucchini and egg and spices together into the food processer and realized I wasn't allowed to but cracker crumbs in to make it thick! So I blended it all up, tossed the 'soup' into the frying pan with some EVOO, and make a chickpea pancake :lol: It was yummy anyway! Had it with some cauliflower and cheese on the side and it made me happy.

mgb, you might just have some bloat from TOM.... I dunno, everybody's different! 10lbs in theory should make your pants feel looser but there are so many variables.... give it some more time and drink your water :)

Jow
10-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi....I didn't see this thread until now but would like to participate....hope you don't mind!:D

I am starting Phase I today and I have 10# to lose. :smug:

Let's do this!:carrot:

mgb4t
10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Britomart - I can't have anything like that either. Now, I'm just terrified of having sugar. I took a client out for breakfast this morning and on the way out they have lollipops instead of mints. Usually, I just grab a few of my fav colours and keep them in my purse, but today, I had to actually turn my head the other way to stop myself. I bought a sprite on Saturday when I went grocery shopping and I'm still drinking the d*mn thing. I'm trying to force myself away. It's hard, especially right now with TMO here. I'm going to try your recipe one of these days (sans crackers) - it sounds delicious. On P2, you could put oatmeal in there as well...

Yesterday I ate 2 $1.00 bags of hickory smoked almonds. I think I had about 30 of them ! I was munching them at my desk. Dangerous combination. No munching at desk allowed. I'm going to do like I did with my 4 chips on the weekend. Count 5-7 of them and that's all I get. I have to be so utilitarian with myself !

I'm wearing a suit today that I wore to my fathers funeral in April and it seems to fit a little different in the bum. Maybe there are some changes happening... It's a 12 and it's tight around the waist, but I remember last time I wore it, I was afraid of splitting the bum... so I'm excited about that.

For breakfast I had an egg white omelet with mushrooms and cheese. I don't think it was low fat cheese, but I only ate half the omelet. It's hard eating out. I have a client for lunch too. Salad with no dressing here I come ....

I've been keeping track of what I eat on fitday.com. I'm under 1500 calories a day - without even trying. (That's on average of course, there have been a few days higher). I put in a typical day before P1, just to see, and I was eating between 3000 and 3800 a day - easy. That explains a lot !

Phish - you're weight went up? Were you eating salty nuts? Are you drinking lots of water?

Alantra - how are things going with you? I see you've quit smoking too ! Way to go !! My brother in law is on quit net as well and he just keeps encouraging me to quit. My BF wants to quit and we've tried a couple times. He just stops. No problem. No withdrawals. It's eerie because he smokes way stronger cigs than me and way more than me. I go nuts. I've quit for long periods of time in the past, and I'll be trying again. Not right now though. I'm not ready and I really think I have to be ready. If you can do that, you can do anything in the world ! You rock girl!

Tamara

britomart
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Tamara - mm, oats in them would probably be even better than crumbled saltines! :lol: The only function the carb has is to thicken the things so they stick together like little hamburgers... Is there anything non-carby that thickens things too? I can only think of bread products and corn starch and flour...

Sooo.... I still haven't had one full solid day on P1. Today will be the day, though, I have absolutely nothing in the house to cheat with!! Last night I found a box of cookies I had stashed away.. and ate them all. I kept looking at them, telling myself I didn't want them -- and I didn't, really -- but I ate them all anyway. Then you know what happened? I woke up repeatedly during the night with a stabbing headache! I've never had a headache that actually woke me up after I had been asleep. I can't think what it was except those damn cookies -- all that carb after so little carb. Well that was a wake up call!! It's one thing to read about the effects of too much bad carbohydrates, it's another thing to empirically experience those effects and have no other possible cause to blame it on. Holy cow. Makes me really determined to stick with SB now!!

Apple Blossom
10-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey all! I am just finishing up day 3 of phase 1. It's going quite well! I haven't weighed myself yet. I think I will tomorrow. I'm not really feeling any different.
I don't like using artificial sweeteners, so far I haven't. Just staying away from the sweet stuff. So far no cravings
And I think salsa will be my best friend for the next 11 days....
It's only 2 weeks!!! We can do it!!!

Kelly J
10-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm coming back to the beach and re-starting P1. Had a lot going on in life the last few months and have tried to do P1 but haven't stuck to it. I HAVE to do something about the weight I've put back on and I HAVE to do something about my cholesterol. I want to be here (& healthy) for my kids. This time I've got my meals planned out for the next 5 days. Hope that will get me started. Made the lentil/mushroom soup from the recipe forum last night and am going to have that for lunch - hope it's good! And I've got dinner started in the crockpot for when I get home.

Hope everyone has a good OP day!

mgb4t
10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
:wave:

I just went up to the gym and weighed myself. I should probably be going to the gym to exercise though ! LOL ! :lifter:

My TMO is gone (whew), and I was hoping to see some progress... nothing ! :yikes: I've been keeping track of my intake on fitday.com and I'm under 1500 cals a day... Maybe I need to exercise some more. I figured after blowing it on the weekend that I'd stick with P1 for a while yet and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I am starting to feel some changes in my clothes (finally) which is great because I was getting really disappointed for a while there.

Breakfast: hard boiled egg (cut in 1/2 with half the yolk out) and coffee.
Lunch: beef broth with vegetables
Dinner: not sure yet...

Maybe I'm just holding water for some reason. Oh well, maybe next week I'll be able to move that littel ticker !

Kelly J - what kind of meals do you cook in your crockpot? I'd love to try some of that.

Jow - :welcome3:

Britomart - I can't think of other things that thicken - oh wait, tapioca does. I think tapioca is allowed on P1...

Hope everyone is having a good week ! Chat you soon.

P.S. BTW, I tried the popcorn cauliflower last night and it was very good. I think it would be great with curry powder though. The cauliflower does become rather sweet, which I wasn't prepared for, but good nonetheless. If you do the recipe, be sure to use a whole head of cauliflower - I used a whole head and it fed two of us. It shrinks like crazy.

bluehenkathy
10-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I came across this website today and I think it is what I need. I have tried so many diets and lost weight on each but gained back more the next time. I refuse to buy bigger clothes. I'm rereading the SB diet book right now and will start tomorrow AM. I'm 50 plus and I don't think I have any metabolism left. Any ideas on how to start an exercise program.

Ruthxxx
10-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Since it's been two weeks, most folks should be moving on to Phase II remembering to add carbs slowly. See the FAQ for hints.

I'll close this thread and start a new one for folks beginning Phase I.

Please join us on the daily chat thread too where we talk about everything, sometimes even mentioning food!