Weight Loss Support - What to do about clothes!?!

View Full Version : What to do about clothes!?!

Jasmine31
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Okay is anyone else having this trouble? Well I am 225 now. Which is great! I do have some stuff to wear at this size and have treated myself in the last month to two new dresses. BUT I KNOW I will be down to 193-200 by x~mas and that is a big difference especially since some of my regular clothes are already looking a little loose!. I know income tax is just around the corner after that and I am really hoping to be down to 167 ~ 170 or so by then. I know I will get a few things at x~mas. So I want to wait and get more stuff at income tax time (March). What is everyone else doing for clothes as you lose so quickly?

Tisha___
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out what to do for my x-mas list this year. My family always insists on a list of wants, and I don't know what to put. And, they usually won't go for buying gift certificates. Grr. Anyway, I'm thinking about just putting a whole bunch of DVD sets on there...Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Arrested Development, etc...so I have something to watch while I'm on the treadmill. :D But, I want clothes, but I don't know what size to put! Grr!

candlemaker29
10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Well I kept my clothes that I wore just a few sizes down so I wont have that problem until after I get smaller than that. Crap, I would go into the poor house to buy clothes just to know they were really small :-) LOL Hit some sales and save $$$$

I am going to start putting away $ 1.00 away for every lb I lose so when I hit my goal, I will have some money to go shopping with :-)

jcatron243
10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
I am squeezing into my smallest clothes right now, I am hoping to get to a size 7 or 9, I am going to shop at the goodwill when I need new clothes (in the IN Between sizes). although I am not against wearing clothes that are to big, since I don't spend much time out of the house or at work (at work I have a specific pant/shirt combo I have to wear).

lilybelle
10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I bought things at yard sales and consignment shops to save money while I was losing. Anything I bought new, I bought it snug so I could wear it for a while. I used elastic waist sweat pants to do my treadmill. I still have the same ones I started with and even though they look bad, they work for this purpose and don't fall off. I tried to conserve most of the clothes budget for when I was closer to goal. Then went pretty "hog wild" and now I have more than enough clothes and still want to shop.

onobles
10-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Why not have your clothes taken in at the cleaners? You'll get twice the use out of them, and they'll just look better and better. Like you!

Mel
10-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I shopped and sold clothes at consignment stores. Kind of depends on what type of clothes you need. If you have a job that requires tailored, professional looking clothes, you may need to just bite the bullet and buy a few good items and lots of accessories so that it doesn't look like you are wearing the same thing three days a week. Where I live, there are consignment stores that run the gamut from high-end designer clothing to well used cheap jeans at Goodwill. Come to think of it- there are some pretty nice clothes that I found at Goodwill that were still new with tags.

Mel

beforeim35
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I went to garage sales this summer. I lucked out at one and they had a bunch of pairs of size 15 jeans. At the time I was wearing a 16 and to be honest not sure what a 15 is. I tried them all on at the time and put little note sin the pocket based on how they fit. One was relatively comfy, one was looks like sausage and one said two inches to button. I can fit into all of them now. That was a nice little motivation in itself.

almostheaven
10-09-2006, 10:22 PM
When I was getting "bigger", during pregnancy, I had the problem of growing so fast that the first slew of maternity clothes I bought were of no use way too fast. So the next purchases I made consisted of tops that hung loosely and pants with drawstrings, to grow with me. You can do the same losing weight. And, post-pregnancy, a pair of the drawstring pants I liked stayed. I just pleated the front of them and took up the pregnancy bulk.

Nikaia
10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
I'd recommend taking in your better clothes - if they were expensive, getting them tailored means you get more use out of them without them looking huge on you. If you have a friend who can sew, ask her to do it. I'd offer time or services in exchange if you're worried about cash. If you have money, go to a tailor and have them do it.

For cheap stuff, day-to-day wear, just pick up clothes at Goodwill and that sort of place. It'll suffice until you get to goal. Good luck!

sotypical
10-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Its funny, I buy strech jeans and I am still wearing the same pair I wore 30 pounds ago. They last longer then you would think think.

I spend no more then 20$ on an article of clothing. I only buy a couple shirts, and a couple pairs of jeans and I wear clothes that are too big for me.

TamiL
10-10-2006, 12:31 AM
I buy alot of stuff at Goodwill also. You may have to spend some time going through the racks but they usually have some nice jeans in smaller sizes.

butterfly_dreams
10-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Well I kept my clothes that I wore just a few sizes down so I wont have that problem until after I get smaller than that. Crap, I would go into the poor house to buy clothes just to know they were really small :-) LOL Hit some sales and save $$$$

I am going to start putting away $ 1.00 away for every lb I lose so when I hit my goal, I will have some money to go shopping with :-)

What a Fantastic idea!!! Man, some of ya'll are creative. I think i'm going to start that $1.00 a pound also. And at the end I'll have enough for some new clothes!!! I love that idea!

BlueToBlue
10-10-2006, 03:27 AM
While I was losing weight, I wore a lot of t-shirts that I got a Target or on sale at other stores. I also wore my pants until they were literally falling off (honestly, it got to the point where some of my pants I could take on and off with out unbuttoning them). There were several pairs of pants that I "took in" myself just by sewing a couple of darts in the waist band, then I made sure to wear long shirts over them so no one could see my terrible handiwork. Some of them were still pretty big in the butt, but at least they didn't fall down. In fact, I'm still wearing my workout pants this way because I haven't been able to find a new pair that I like.

I've also found that you can get away with not having very many pairs of pants. For the past 3 months, I've really only had 2 pairs of pants that I wear and a lot of t-shirts that I bought at Target. So long as I do laundry every week, it's fine.

I did end up having to spring for some suits along the way for work functions. My standards have definitely dropped in terms of what I consider professional attire, but sometimes you just have to wear a suit and when you have to wear one, it has to fit.

I recently had a pair of dress pants taken in professionally. The result looks way better than my amateur job and I think it only cost me $10. The pants cost at least $90 and I'd only worn them a couple of times, so the $10 was definitely worth it. I would definitely recommend this strategy, you'd be surprised what a tailor can do.

- Barbara

Misti in Seattle
10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I have the same problem. I did have quite a bit of stuff in my closet that was smaller and still have lots of pants but am not into most of my smallest blouses. I am super hard to fit, which makes it harder since most all of the blouses in thrift stores... and even new ones... are way too short for me. But I just do the best I can AND I end up wearing things more frequently than I would like, for now.

Jasmine31
10-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanx for all the wonderful ideas ladies. I do not work outside the home so that is a plus.

Its funny, I buy strech jeans and I am still wearing the same pair I wore 30 pounds ago. They last longer then you would think think.

I know what ya mean about that! I had gotten two pairs of stretchy capris when I hit 250 and they still fit! lol They were pretty snug when I got them though.But i know by x~mas this stuff I have now will be falling off me. the thrift store sounds like a good idea that way I can save money and spend more later. I know everyones body is different, but does anyone approximately what size I might be when I hit 193 and 173? I am 5'4 and walk 60 minutes every day.

BreakingFree
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I've noticed in reading posts on this site for a long while that it's hard to predict what size a person will wear based solely on their weight, or even their weight and height together. I am 5'4" and weigh 191 lbs and wear a Size 18W pants and Large/Size 16 top.

TamiL
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
We are all built so different that its impossible to guage what size you will be. I wore about a 16 in pants and an 18 in shirts at 191.

rockinrobin
10-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I actually went shopping. I was so confused, I dropped at least 2 sizes but of course I need to drop lots more. The smaller clothing looks so much better then my current clothing, but I just couldn't spend the money. I did buy one skirt which is a bit snug and fairly inexpensive. After thinking it over I think I'm gonna go shopping again next week and buy 2 shirts, that are hopefully on sale. I guess it's just all part of the process, but I know for myself I have to like what I look like to keep myself going. In fact when I got home from shopping, I practically emptied out my closet and filled up a big trash bag with stuff that no longer fits me and I am going to give it away to charity. I hope, no I know I didn't make a mistake by getting rid of them so quickly. It felt really good to get rid of them. We shall see.

techwife
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, at the moment, I'm not having that problem...losing too fast. I did have that problem when I GAINED, though. I went from a size 6 to a 16 in about a year and a half. I have always been a size 6 until I went through a VERY stressful time and gained 50 lbs. I'm only 5'2" and that weight makes the sizes go up FAST on a short-waisted frame. I sold my size 10 and 12 clothes...many with the tags on them...on eBay, hoping to have Murphy's Law happen and that I'd need them again someday. I went through that size so fast, I didn't have time to wear all the clothes :fr: I'm in a 14 at the moment and working on 12. I have 2 pairs of 14 jeans and they both have GAPING holes in the jeans. I refuse to buy more 14's though, I'm waiting till I can wear 12's comfortably. I'm stuck at my current weight, so I'm using a small shopping spree as my motivator to get rid of 10 pounds or so.

To answer your question...I plan to buy maybe 2 pairs of jeans when I get into them. Shirts can be baggy, so I'll wait till I lose some serious weight or until they just look dumpy on me. But, a good place to look is eBay. You can sell your old stuff there and use the money you make selling to buy new-to-you things in your current size. I always look for 'A LOT' of clothes in a certain size. For instance, if you are looking for clothes in size 14, type in the search box... Ladies size 14 LOT ....and you will see all the auctions for clothes in your size. Lots are nice because you can buy a big chunk of clothes...most will be nice, some will be 'work around the house' clothes...but if you take good care of them, you can turn around and sell them when you get too small for them! I sold my size 10's and 12's to a woman in Australia for $80! She paid the shipping, which was an additional $80. I then used that money to buy my kids some clothes on eBay...which is a great place to buy clothes for rapidly-growing kids...especially play clothes.

Good luck!!

phantastica
10-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm with everyone else - thrift stores, and tailors for those favorite pieces. It's also quite easy to take in some simple shirts, if you have a sewing machine.

I haven't shopped thrift stores for years, but when I started losing weight quick enough to be frustrated that my new jeans don't fit after 2 months, I went thrift. I'm a convert now! Lots of cool stuff there.

lilybelle
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I am 5'7 so at 195 I wore a size 14 in pants and a 1X in tops.

I don't work outside the home and wear mostly jeans and t-shirts. Last night I bought 9 long sleeved shirts at walmart and only spent $82.00. It's started to get cooler here and I didn't have any shirts from last winter that would fit me now.

Jasmine31
10-11-2006, 02:29 PM
These are all great ideas ladies! I know it is hard to figure what someone will weigh when the time comes. I am getting so excited about x~mas cause I just know I am on the losing track! Before when i wasn't losing that month and wanted to get to 200 by x~mas it felt like, uggghhh only a few months, how am I going to do this? lol Now that I am counting cals I feel in control again and can't wait! haha

That is good for you fed up! Make sure you save something so you can show how skinny you are later! You know, "the big pants". Now I know I usually try to get stretchy stuff for pants cause they do last longer but I insist on trying to wear everything tight! Cause if I feel "frumpy" I feel fat and am more prone to get depressed and overeat! I think I will hit the thrift stores in Dec. and maybe get a few things that aren't too much from walmart. Have to keep myself motivated! I can't wait to get some cute matching panty and bra sets!

Good on you lily! You deserve it!! Phantastica, don't be frustrated! Be excited!! :D

Techwife you can turn that around1 Keep it going!!

aphil
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Here is what I have done:

~I sell too large items (if they are nice, name brand like Gap, Old Navy, Lane Bryant, etc.) on eBay. I then use the money in my Paypal account to buy an item or two in a smaller size.

~I shop CLEARANCE racks at stores. You can often get a new top at Wal-Mart or Target on clearance for $5 or $7...

~I buy things that are very basic that can mix and match easily in what size you need now: a basic pair of jeans, a pair of black pants, a white or black t-shirt or blouse...you can have 5-6 items that if they can mix and match-can create a lot of different outfits. Spend the "money" on accessories that will fit over the long haul-such as a great pair of shoes, a great necklace, or a nice colorful purse-or a great new haircut. A simple pair of jeans and a black top look very hip if you have a great bag, or a great new cut & color to go with it. ;)

~Shop Goodwill and garage sales. I check garage sale ads and see which ones have the items I want...I have gotten great items from Goodwill as well-Old Navy, Gap, Abercrombie and Fitch, Nike, Reebok, Lands End...you just have to "dig" a little.

start8
10-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Resale shops. I love finding great clothes at bargain prices. Plus I took a bunch of stuff there and made over $400.00. Makes me wish I hadn't give away as much clothing as I did to friends and goodwill.

start8
10-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm 5' 2" and in the 190s I was a tight 16 and a size 14 in the low 170s.

Nikaia
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm 5'7" and 192, wearing a 1x in tops (but I've always worn L/XL in shirts because I have massive tits, heh. 36-38F) and somewhere between a 14 and 16 long in jeans - the 16 requires a belt, and the 14 is just a bit snug.

I just went Goodwilling this morning. Got a pair of jeans to tide me over (my current ones are the only ones I'm comfortable in), a belt, and two long-sleeved shirts for wintertime, for $10. I love Goodwill!

owira
10-14-2006, 01:04 PM
i have been slowly phasing down .. i wore my clothes as long as possible until they just got to the point of lookin horrible on me ..then i went and would replace that 1 pair of jeans .. so it was kind of reward payment .. i would give away the big pair and replace it with the smaller .. this kind of works easily for me cause I can wear jeans at work .. so i get alot of wear out of them . but in the last 2 and half months I have bought 3 pairs of jeans .. also I dug in my closet ..wayyyyyyy in the back ..and found the jeans i grew out of .... and now they fit .. along with a few other items i just couldnt' part with .. that one pair of jeans .. i have been holdin onto for 10 years..they look brand new .. but i just couldn't give up .. was like ok .. one day i am gettin back in em! and I have

Chanty1483
10-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I still have clothing I was wearing when I was a size 12-14, I think I've held on to them with the hope I would get back into them. So I'll be okay until I get smaller than that. Currently, I'm in between a size 16-18. I joined WW with one of my friends, she's in a size 14-16 now, so as she loses, I've been giving her my clothes that I've saved and she's been giving me the clothes that are getting too big. It's worked out quite nicely.

My aunt recently hit the 50 lb. weight loss mark on WW as well, she highly recommends thrift shops as well. There is no point in purchasing new clothes that are going to be too big for you in a matter of months.

Meg
10-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Don't forget to beg clothes from friends and family! Almost everyone has several sizes of clothes in their closet and might be happy to share.

I lost a size every month or so and didn't want to spend any money till I got to goal, so made do with very few outfits. There was a time when my closet was so empty that it echoed! I mostly lived in gym clothes since I spent so much time there and had one skirt and two nice pairs of pants for everything else.

Sizes are tough to predict because I consistently lost from the head down, but it's probably different for others depending on what your problem spot is. For a time I was the oddest shaped person ever, wearing a 'small' in tops but a 10 in pants when I had lost 90 pounds, with 32 still to go. Fortunately, the last 20 pounds came 100% off my lower body and it all evened out.

The BEST part is buying a whole new wardrobe once you reach goal!! :carrot: The only thing that still fit was socks - even my shoes were too big. :D :D :D

BattlingTheBulge
10-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm doing about the same thing as Meg did. I have a very limited wardrobe. We're talking one pair of jeans and one nice jogging suit that I can wear (and get away with) while out in public. I'm still wearing my old baggy t-shirts and sweatshirts with my jeans.

Once I hit my goal I'm high-tailing it to the mall to buy a new wardrobe. Hubby has already agreed that I can spend as much money as I want on clothes when my weight and body shape have finally evened out. Yippeee!!! I don't even have to spend my own money. Can't beat that! :D

In the meantime, I'm off to exercise, shower, and get into my same-ole, same-ole pair of levis and same-ole, same-ole sweatshirt. Soon, I keep telling myself, soon I'll be smelling the smell and feeling the feel of new clothes! Ahhhhhhh! :)

Cardiomonster
10-17-2006, 12:23 PM
I think I've done everything suggested here, except having a tailor take something in (though my very handy fiance has helped make minor adjustments - lots of hemming of dress pants from second-hand stores, etc). I wear the same clothes until they literally fall off/down, buy second-hand or discount, sell or give clothes to family, etc. The most versatile thing in my closet would be a fav pair of skinny black pants - works with almost anything!

My problem is that now I have hit the end of my closet - there simply is no more :( . I can (tightly) wedge into my smallest pair of adult jeans (or equivalent size that I was at age 14). I can comfortably wear all but one of my shirts - and even then it's a mental comfort thing (need to work on flabby underarms - ick :mad: )

Almost EVERYTHING I own is wayyy too big - especially pants. I go to my favorite second-hand store every 2-3 months, but lately it's been slim-pickings for decent jeans or dress pants for work. I finally bought a new pair of jeans last night at a discount-retail store (TJMaxx) so I got a $60 pair of pants for $25 --- Apple Bottom jeans for girls with booty! :p

But I am severely strapped financially and I need clothes! I'm tired of walking around with the "dumpy-drawers" look of a toddler in bad need of a diaper change! I'm feeling good and my body is looking better than it has in years - I wanna enjoy, darn it!

Also, I am FREEZING now that fall is coming and I've lost all my insulation! Anyone else having the chills after weight-loss?? :?:

lilybelle
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Lisa, I am definitely freezing now. I used to freeze my whole family by keeping the thermostat on 65 degrees. Now, I'm keeping it on 75 just for me to be comfortable. I certainly believe the part about the insulation, I think I lost mine too.

TamiL
10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I am cold for the first time in years. Normally I balk at turning the furnace on in October but this year I really need it on!! Its amazing how those 50 plus pounds I carried kept me warm (I'd rather be cold that have em back, LOL).

Cardiomonster
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Lisa, I am definitely freezing now. I used to freeze my whole family by keeping the thermostat on 65 degrees. Now, I'm keeping it on 75 just for me to be comfortable. I certainly believe the part about the insulation, I think I lost mine too.

I'm freezing out my df and myself - I'm too afraid of heating costs to turn the thermostat higher than 65 (it's our first winter in our first house - rented)

We sleep with like 4 blankets on the bed - if he wasn't such a hot water bottle, I'd have frozen weeks ago:D