Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanksgiving Challenge weekly chat Oct 9-13th

Hello friends!!!! Hope no one minds I started this week's thread. How is everyone doing? I am way hyped to see some new names under the roll call thread....WELCOME ya'll, jump in here, I, for one, am in need of some serious encouragement and support! (and am willing to lend a little, too!)

The weekend was pretty good, worked 7a-7p Saturday so I had to miss my bowling league (there's about 2 pitchers of beer I didn't consume!) and on Sunday, I got granted time off!!! Census was low and there were too many of us scheduled, so I got to stay home. So that was a nice surprise. Oh how I wish the gym was open on Sundays though, I would have gone for sure. But ended up going to a cookout instead. Didn't make great choices there either. But I didn't go to the gym AT ALL all week!!!! So I just HAVE to go today. I'm thinking about renting a tae bo video or something (at Family video, all fitness rentals are free-how bout that!) I woke up this morning feeling like I HAVE TO GET BACK ON TRACK!!!!! I will NOT give up! But enough with the "treats" and "special occasions" and excuses. OMG my friend and I nearly ate through a whole bag of candy pumpkins and candy corn Saturday. AND she said she'd be bringing donuts to work on Sunday to "celebrate" me being back on day shifts....LOL at least I got the day off. Dodged that one.

DS is home from school today, Columbus Day, its nice to spend some time with him, turns out I actually MISS him when he's at school all day. I think we'll go to the park today, get out of the house.

I was okay this morning when I weighed myself, dreading the number but saw 225.5 which is only up a lb and a half. So I'd like to report a 223 or 222 on Wednesday morning. LET'S GET IT OOOOOON!

Breakfast- lower sugar oatmeal by Quaker and cup of cubed fresh pineapple.

Lunch- probably a salad, but should I be worried about the lettuce warning now? I do have some nice salad fixins in the fridge. If I take the kids out, maybe it'll be Subway.

Dinner-don't know yet....been dreaming about these chicken enchiladas from one of my light recipe magazines. I love Mexican, and it's not that hard to make it healthier (I don't care much for sour cream anyways, and I don't mind light cheese rather than full fat, and lots of peppers/onions, fat free RF beans, black beans...wheat tortillas, you get the idea. )

Snack (anytime of the day)- I'd like to fit in a protein smoothie somewhere, preferable before or after the gym.

About Subway-I usually get a turkey and ham (or one or the other but usually both) on wheat, six inch, but I know a lot of "dieters" like the Veggie delight, but to me that doesn't seem filling enough for me, plus the protein would hold me over longer. The calorie difference is pretty significant though. What do you prefer? Maybe I'll just go for it once and see. Plus I've shied away from the chips or pretzels, even though they're baked. I prefer to come home and have some fresh fruit or whatever I have here. Do you guys get the 100 calorie pack snacks? I know its just junk food, just packaged smaller, but to me, it's just enough to stave off the craving. I'm going through a box of Ritz mix snacks, I miss Ritz crackers, the buttery yumminess.

Boy I am rambling today. But I plan to hang around today, need motivation to get JUMP STARTED again! Thanks for hangin with me! oxoxxoxo
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #2  

Good Morning!!!
Nurse Michelle- You Will Do It! Check In Daily.

I Went To The 49 Ers Vs Oakland Raiders Yesterday. It Was Fun And A Good Date With My Hubby. We Were Not At Home All Weekend So My Food Choices Were Not Good. I Feel Very Bloated From All The Sodium Intake. I'l Stay Away From The Scale Until Weds Or Fri.
My Little One And Hubby Are Having These Colds And I Have The Runny Nose So The Whole Family Is Home Today. Which Is Good Because Are Weekend Was So Busy.
We Also Have Are House For Sale For Twomonths Noe And 1 Person Has Looked At It. The Market Here Is At A Stand Still So It Is Very Nerve Racking To Deal Woth That.
Hope Everyone Has A Good Day I Have To Go Back To My Fat Smash Detox This Week After My Weekend. I Didn't Eat Awful But As Strict As I Should Have. I Have Myself In Check Now!
flabbychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies! I didn't do to bad this weekend, my problem on Saturday we got up and got busy so early that by 1:00 I realized I hadn't eaten anything, so I ate a quick lunch and I didn't have time to pack my dinner so I ate at work (deep fried and yummy) My calorie count for the day was still low, because my eating was so screwed up. But I did go for a 90 minute walk.
Sunday I ate better, I had chicken taco salad (left over from friday's dinner)
I made sure I ate yesterday, all 3 meals and snacks. I had to have a quick workout so I spent 20 minutes at a fast pace on my stationary bike and did 15 minutes of weights as fast as I could (so I could keep up my heart rate) because of the fast pace I used light weights.
I want to make sure I am getting enough calories but because I have had such a hard time moving the scale I keep thinking I should be stricter with my foods and harder workouts. But I am making sure I am sticking to an average of 1450, my workouts are hard because I can only workout when Tommy is sleeping. I generally get an hour. I am trying to spend an hour on my stationary bike, but then I can't do my pilates or weights if Tommy wakes up. I think I may try doing 20/20/20 for each one then If I have time left, get back on my bike. We'll see. I am obsessed with finding something that starts working again.
Today starts a new week! I figure even though I have hit this plateau overall I am healthier and the weight will come off. I am NOT giving in to this. I am stronger than my Fat!!!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

michelle: About subway I go for the turkey and ham also, its fairly low in cals (290 I think) I need the protein I can't just do veggies.

I love the 100 calorie snacks. It is junk but it helps me get through the cravings: I love the chips ahoy.

I did my measurements and in two months since I have changed my eating habits I have lost 4 inches in my lower regions and 2.5 in my top! that makes me feel better!

Last edited by jcatron243; 10-09-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this challenge and think it’s just what I need. When I was posting regularly here at 3FC, I really enjoyed the camaraderie and the accountability, and have missed that.

Very briefly, I posted pretty regularly from Oct. 05 to May 06. During that time I lost close to 20 pounds, but even better (to me, anyway) lost a lot of inches and dropped a couple of clothing sizes. Then a foot injury in June made it impossible to exercise. For the first month, I continued to eat well and maintained my pound/inch loss. But a treat here and a high-cal/low-nutrition snack there became a regular thing and my eating has been completely out of control for a couple of months. Not surprisingly, I seem to have found about 10 of those pounds I lost. And because I lost muscle but gained fat, I’m big and soft.

NurseMichelle, don’t give up!! Look at the progress you’ve made; you can do this. I KNOW how hard it is to avoid the candy and treats that are around, especially this time of year. When you feel like snacking, check in here instead.

Regarding your question about lettuce, I think it’s only one brand of packed lettuce that is a concern right now. I think it’s “Foxy” brand (not sure, though) sold from Oct. 3 to Oct. 6. And regarding Subway, personally I’m with you on the protein thing. I found that high fiber + protein = feeling of fullness for me. The calorie difference is significant, yes, but you will probably eat that difference in those 100 cal snack packs, which have pretty much no nutritional value.

flabbychic, hope your runny nose goes away!

jcatron243, congrats on losing inches! I think you have the right attitude about your weight plateau. Even if the scale isn’t moving, because you’re eating better and exercising, good things are happening inside. When I was losing weight almost a year ago, the scale crawled (about 20 pounds in 9 months!), but I got smaller. So keep at it, even if the scale doesn’t move things will continue to change for the better.

Today wasn’t too bad. Had plain oatmeal for breakfast and also ate a couple of slices of turkey lunch meat for protein. We went out for lunch and I had an eggplant dish with pasta and tomato sauce, along with a cream of zucchini soup (yum!). Just got home from work and didn’t feel like cooking, so I had an Amy’s Organic frozen meal. Finally, snacks consisted of a handful of baby carrots this morning and plain nonfat yogurt with vanilla protein powder and sliced strawberries this afternoon. Still want to exercise this evening before a bubble bath and bed. Plan to do approximately 30 minutes of strength exercises, using my body weight as resistance. I am going to take it slow and easy with exercise for a while so I don’t re-break my foot.

Sorry this is so long …
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

sf40: Welcome to the weekly thread! I hope we can help you acheive your goal! And thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Last night my walking partners and I jogged half of our 1.5 mile walk! It was great!!
Today I plan on doing my 20 min pilates and 20 minutes on my bike, plus I am walking with my sister in the morning and walking/jogging tonight! its going to be a great day!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #7  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
I want to make sure I am getting enough calories but because I have had such a hard time moving the scale I keep thinking I should be stricter with my foods and harder workouts.
Oh, can I relate... tha's why I've stopped weighing myself every day. Every time I'd see the scale jump a pound or two, even if I knew it was something stupid like water retention or something, I'd really drive myself crazy and start taking food restriction to the extreme... which we all know is bad news!

*~*~*~*

It's not a bad week so far... just a terribly inconvenient one, on a lot of different levels.

One of the most annoying things about this week is that it is tech week for the show I am in (I do a little acting on the side at a local theatre), which means I'm busy every night this week with no end in sight until Sunday night after the matinee. I usually hit the gym after work, but all week I have to head straight to the theatre after work. This means that I will either have to get up early in the morning to get my gym time in (not very likely!! ) or I will have to forego workouts until Saturday morning. This really puts my knickers in a knot because I have really come to love the routine of my workout.

Hey, at least being on stage keeps me from snacking at night... right?

And the icing on the cake - PMS!!! Gah!! Actually, I'm handling it very well. The cranky factor is low, and I have very few physical symptoms apart from a splitting headache yesterday which was more likely caused by our receptionist rather than my hormones. Even my PMS cravings for fatty/salty things is almost nonexistent by comparison to other months! I wonder if beginning my exercise regime a few weeks ago has had something to do with easing PMS symptoms?

I can't report any weight loss yet because I don't weigh in until Friday... but I can tell you that I feel terrific!

Keep hanging in there, friends - let's be good to ourselves, live healthy in mind, body, and spirit, and we'll all get to our goals in no time. Here's to a more svelte Thanksgiving for all of us!!!
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

I have to say my sister is CRAZY! I am glad she came over to walk with me but between the two of us we had 4 kids (3 mo, 12 mo, 18mo 3 yrs) And I have to say my daughter loves walking as long as she is on my shoulders so for the mile we walked, I had 40 pounds on my shoulders, OUCH!

So I won't be doing pilates after all because after our walk, we decided to go shopping. We went to costco which is an hour away. So I spent two hours in the car and an hour in the store, with our kids. (my sister had to be home when her other two kids got out of school.) OH well, I atleast got a walk in this morning and I will go running tonight after work!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #9  

RowdyBliss: I know what you mean about daily weigh-ins... Last October and November, because my weight was going up, I didn't weigh myself for about four weeks. It was only after I saw that I lost inches that I had the nerve to step on the scale (thank goodness the weight was going down then).

Sounds like you have a busy week and hope you make it to the gym before Saturday. Or what about working out at home??

jcatron243: It sounds like you had a great walking workout this morning! Sorry you missed out on Pilates; can you do it later tonight?

Today was pretty good in terms of food and exercise. I did about 30 minutes of walking intervals: alternating 2 min fast and 1 min slow. This is my first significant walking since June and I feel it in my shins tonight! I stuck to my eating plan, except when I got home from work I was starving so I had a piece of whole grain toast with a bit of butter. No sweets today! Luckily the candy jar on the front desk at work has non-chocolate candy right now so I'm not even tempted. I hope I can get over my cravings before it's refilled with chocolate ...
Old 10-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Hang tough RowdyBliss! I had to double up on B50 complex to help with my PMS! I will weigh in tomorrow, but I am not expecting a loss, but I know I am doing well anyway.
Great job sherry! I had the pain in my shins last night after we sped walked/jogged. Tonight wasnt nearly so bad.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #11  
Calorie Counter

Well I finally made the scale move! 1 pound loss for this week, I am so happy.

I don't have to much exciting stuff going on today. I will be getting my workout by doing a vigorous house cleaning to get ready for Tommy's birthday party. But I think I am going to do pilates and strength training anyway.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #12  

Hello to all. I want to join in on the Thanksgiving challenge. I want to drop 15 pounds by than that is my goal. I have been struggling with eating too much junk food lately. But I am ready to jump on the diet wagon and lose weight.
littlebumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

Welcome!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #14  

Congrats on the loss of a pound, jcatron243!

Shins still a little sore from yesterday. I walk two blocks to work from the parking structure plus I'm up and down stairs all day so you would think that a fast 30 minute walk wouldn't be such a big deal ... Got in a strength workout this morning and plan to do some stretches tonight before bed.

Food choices were OK today, except for the slice of cherry pie at work. That is what is killing me; somebody is always bringing in something sweet and yummy and I have no willpower! Well, at least I haven't touched the candy jar in about a week. I need to work harder at staying away from the other stuff.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

Thats okay, I ate very good today, until the end of the night I had a 4 oz Hot fudge sundae! mmmmm