Exercise! - *October Walking Challenge*

View Full Version : *October Walking Challenge*

macdeez
10-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I hope no one minds my starting this month's challenge. Figured everyone must be too busy walking to have time to post. ;)

I managed to squeak in a couple extra miles on Saturday to reach my goal of 60mi. I usually don't have such a difficult time making goal, but I started pretty late in the month, so well, that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.

I did see a 3lb loss over the last week though, that certainly made me happy! :carrot: I guess eating healthy really does work. :^:

I'm setting October's goal to 80mi and am really hoping to achieve that! I'm off to a good start though, 4.5 miles down. Yesterday was the Run/Walk for the Cure and omigoodness, I had no idea that it would be so inspiring. DH and I will most likely be doing it in Victoria next year to participate with his mom (who starts radiation in three short weeks). After the walk, we were so pumped-up we walked some more, the energy from the event was truly contagious!

Anyways, ladies, I'm looking forward to another month with you all! Take care, best wishes and happy walking!

~mel

Michele L
10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks for starting it! I met my September goal of 85 miles (just barely) by doing 5 miles on Saturday! I am aiming for 85 again this month and with an extra day in the month I (hopefully) won't have as much trouble! I did 3 miles yesterday and already have 2 done today. I think I'll probably go do another mile or two tonight while hubby and son are out selling popcorn for Cub Scouts. What better use of my time than taking care of me?!

Happy walking!

Michele :wave:

macdeez
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey ladies, I hope everyone is having a good day today! :)

I managed to fit 3mi in yesterday and have done 3 more today. That puts me just slightly over the 10mi mark already! :carrot: Hopefully the rest of the month will continue just as good.

Good job, Michelle, for meeting your Sept. goal of 85mi! That's phenom! Keep up the fantastic work! :D

Anyways, off to get some stuff done 'round the house. Take care and best wishes!

~mel

lilmrsmullen
10-04-2006, 05:22 AM
hi i hope you dont mind me joingin in the challenge, i have not psoted here for a while, as i have been busy with work and my husbdan gettign ready to deploy.

The good news is i joined a gym, and have been gign 3 times a week for the past 4 weeks, i have seen no weight loss, but have seens a diffference in my body shape, lost 1inch off my bust and waist.

Realistacally how much of a goal should i set myself just starting out ?

ArtsyGirl
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Morning everyone-Life is being challenging right now, but I'm trying to keep up on things. My goal for October will be 60 miles. Lower than last month, but I leave on the 21st for Hawaii so I won't be keeping track after I leave.

Miles walked - 10
Miles to go - 50

Mel-Congrats on the loss!!

Michele-Way to go on meeting your challenge!

lilmrs-WELCOME!!! I dont really know what is a good starting goal. I'd just figure out a number of miles you think you'd like to walk each day, and multiply it by the number of days you expect to walk. Good luck!

Jasmine31
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
So here is where all my fellow walkers are at! We just started a new challenge in the other forum if you ladies want to sign up!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94270

Jasmine31
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Nice to find you all! I usually count minutes not miles but in 60 minutes I am averaging about 3 miles.

April 2006 220 minutes total

May 2006 760 minutes total

June 2006 1060 minutes total

July 2006 1730 minutes total

August 2006 1185 minutes total

September 2006 1695 total!!!

This month:

October 1, 2006 75/20 (walking/biking) minutes

October 2, 2006(60 minutes)

October 3, 2006 (125 minutes)

Jasmine31
10-04-2006, 12:37 PM
1695 minutes of walking divided by 60 minutes = 28.25 hours x 3 miles per hour that I walk = 84.75 miles last month. Not bad!!! :D Okay I already made a commitment in the other thread to do 1800 minutes so that would break down to me needing to walk 90 miles this month!

macdeez
10-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Good morning, ladies! I hope everyone's off to a good start today! :)

lilmrsmullen, welcome! The more, the merrier! :D Good job with the loss in inches, that's fantastic progress! :bravo:

Brandy, wow, Hawaii! How lucky are you?! ;) Good luck this month, I'm sure you'll make your goal of 60mi... no problem! :)

Jasmine, good for you for getting all that walking in! Keep up the great work! :cheer:

As for me, things here are ok. Today = 4mi. Soooo... almost at 15, already. I did a bad thing last night though. Had McDonald's for dinner. :sorry: Yuck. Gotta drink LOADS of water today to get rid of all that flippin' sodium. Ah well, four days left until WI, I should be able to make up for it. Hopefully anyway. :crossed:

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday! Take care and best wishes!

~mel

Jasmine31
10-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanx macdeez!! I always tell mcdonalds and any other place for fries, NO SALT!!!

Diem
10-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Hello ladies! I'm just starting out walking, I've never really done it as part of my exercise except for about a year ago when I walked 3 miles three days a week. But I want to start back this month.

I've already walked 1.5 miles, and I'm going to set me goal kind of low my first month. 30 or 35 miles, I'd say. I'm only going to walk three days a week. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. So does 30 - 35 miles for the month of October, my first real month walking, sound alright to you walkaholics?

Genesis
10-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Ok, so my 60 mile walk is next weekend. Between the 60 mile walk and my additional training, I'll come in around 100 miles for the month. Then I'm taking a BREAK from walking and will focus on swimming and biking for the remainder of the month.

I will probably log more than 100 miles in October after everything is all said and done, but I'm not going to set my goal any higher! Over the summer months I've logged over 550 miles walking and to be frank, I'm tired of walking!! I am SO looking forward to my 3-day experience, but I'm also SO looking forward to NOT having to walk so darn much! I want to be able to bike and swim without experiencing walker's guilt! :)

October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 20
Miles to go = 80

Planned miles...
10/5 = 6 miles
10/7 = 8 miles
10/9 = 6 miles
10/10 = 5 miles
10/13 = 20 miles
10/14 = 20 miles
10/15 = 20 miles

DONE!!!!!!

Jasmine31
10-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard Diem! That sounds good. you don't want to over do it. I had to work myself back up again too!

Genesis I know what ya mean about walkers guilt! Sundays is my day off and a sat here and there and sometimes Ill feel guilty on sundays though! lol Is the 60 mile walk over the course of a weekend?

Jasmine31
10-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh and I walked 60 minutes/3 miles yesterday.

macdeez
10-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Welcome Diem! 30-35mi your first month sounds great! :) And you're already on your way! :carrot: Good job!

Genesis, best of luck this weekend! That's three of us who've done walks for breast cancer now (although mine paled in comparison to your's and Brandy's). Good for you! :angel:

Jasmine, good work getting 3mi in today! WTG! :dancer:

Everyone else, :wave: !

As for me, after drinking a tonne of water, I'm feeling much better today. No more McDonalds for me. :nono: I'm not sure if I'll get any miles in today... maybe I'll do a WATP's DVD tonight, we'll see.

Anyway, gotta get DD outta the tub, so I'm off for now. Have a great day, ladies! Best wishes!

~mel

Genesis
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Mel. I'm very excited for my 3-Day weekend!

Jasmine, my 60 mile walk is the Breast Cancer 3-Day www.the3day.org and it's next weekend - Oct 13, 14 & 15. I can't wait!

:)

ArtsyGirl
10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Morning everyone-I got in a very cold 4 miles today. I have GOT to find my hat before tomorrow. I'm supposed to run a 3 mile race and the forcast is COLD!! (37) I hate running in pants, but I'm gonna have to and after how cold my ears were this morning I should really find a hat as well. At least I was able to find my gloves for this morning. My fingers were toasty!

Genesis-I'm so EXCITED for your 3 day. Even though I was involved with 2 of them this year I am SO jealous of your weekend!!!!! I hope you have a very special weekend that you'll never forget. As for me, on that weekend I'm doing the "Making Strides against Breast Cancer" 5K. Not nearly as fun as what you're doing, but much better than nothing.

Mel-Glad you're over the McDonalds. I gave in to a coffee shop wrap sandwich yesterday. Probably not horrible, but NOT part of my plan.

Keep walking everyone!

Genesis
10-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Brandy - Yes, I'm hoping to make my 3-Day experience a memory I won't ever forget. In fact, I'm buying a small journal today to bring with me to record my thoughts at the end of each day. I do that when I take big vacations and then when I sit down and re-read my vacation journals, its like reliving the entire vacation. The little details you forget with time are captured forever.

Instead of my planned 6 miles on 10/5, I logged 7 miles! My 8 mile planned walk today is being pushed to either tonight or tomorrow. My 3-day training partner who I was supposed to meet for an 8am 8 mile walk today received devastating family news late last night. I was on the phone with her until about 1am trying to calm her down. I feel so bad for her. We've been training for MONTHS for this event and it's next weekend. I hope she can get it together enough to still participate in and enjoy the 3-Day experience. Otherwise, I'll be all alone in my tent without my best walking buddy :(

Michele L
10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend! I hope everything works out!

I did a 5K Breast Cancer walk this morning in 51:16! I am proud that I shaved more than 3 minutes off this time when compared to last year!

I'm now at 21 miles for the month, which is only 1 mile below where I need to be to reach my 85-mile goal by the end of the month! Otherwise, I'll end up doing marathon sessions the last week like I did last month!

Way to go to everyone who is walking toward their goals!

macdeez
10-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Hey ladies, I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend! :)

Put in a couple more miles and am now up to almost 17 so far. Tomorrow will = at least 4. :) Promise.

WI today went well... down another 2lbs! That being said, we went all out for Canadian Thanksgiving tonight and I probably gained at least one of those pounds back. Actually, I didn't do too bad, pretty decent portions and one small slice of pumpkin pie. Just couldn't resist. Back on the straight and narrow tomorrow. We're going to Victoria in mid-November (did I mention that already?) and I would love to be down to goal by then (if not, before). :^:

Michele, great job with your 5k time! That's phenom! It's so great that so many women in this thread are participating in breast cancer walks, so good for you! :D Great work on the miles so far this month, too. You'll be at goal in no time!

Genesis, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. How's she doing?

Brandy, good for you for getting out there even in the cold temps! That's dedication! I definitely struggle with that... and if it weren't for the fact that I have to walk DD to preschool 3x/week and dance class 2x/week, I would be a lost cause. Good job getting your miles in! Keep up the fantastic work! :carrot:

Everyone else, :wave: !

Anyway, it's late and I'm exhausted from cooking ALL day. Have a great Monday, girls. Take care and best wishes!

~mel

Genesis
10-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Michele, nice job on the 5K!

Mel, I love Victoria - high tea at the Empress is always one of my favorite things to do! I was born and raised in Seattle, so I've spent a lot of time in BC. I also LOVE Tofino. I spent my 30th b-day at the Wickaninnish Inn w/ my hubby. It was so wonderful....sea kayaking, spa appointments, great food!

My training partner and I met for a 7 mile walk yesterday afternoon. She's doing much better - still shaken, but much better. We're heading down to Clearwater Beach on Thursday and are staying Thursday night at a nice hotel on the beach. Friday morning we're getting up at the crack of dawn to begin our 3-Day weekend! We start in Clearwater Beach and end in St. Petersburg.

Genesis
10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 41
Miles to go = 59

Well, if everything goes as planned this weekend I will definitely exceed my goal! :) Look out 3-Day!!!!

macdeez
10-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Got 4mi in on Monday... and 4 more today. Yesterday, DH sent me for five hrs of pampering at the spa. It was glorious! Well worth skipping my walk for. ;)

Have a great Wednesday, everyone! :wave:

Best wishes and take care!

~mel

ArtsyGirl
10-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi guys-I've been walking away. My current total is 28 done, 32 to go.

Mel-WOW!!! What a luxury. I'm sure you thouroughly enjoyed every bit of the spa.

Genesis-Have fun on your walk. I know you're going to take a break from walking, but I hope you'll let us know how the event went for you.

Lots to do, so I'm off. Have a great one.

ArtsyGirl
10-13-2006, 06:46 PM
32 done,28 to go.

It was a VERY cold walk this morning. I need to figure out how to dress better.

Jasmine31
10-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Okay so I am now at 870 minutes and 43.5 miles. Yippeee!! Keep up the good work ladies!!

Michele L
10-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm at 33 miles as of Friday night (10/13)! That's a bit more than 5 miles behind where I would like to be at this point in the month, so maybe I'll do a longer workout today and catch back up!

Keep walking!

ArtsyGirl
10-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey gals I'm up to 43 miles out of 60. I leave on Saturday so I'm not sure I'll get all 17 in before I leave, but I know we'll be hiking on our trip. Sure hope they get things under control from the earthquake so our trip can go as planned.

Genesis
10-16-2006, 02:03 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 101
Miles to go = 0

My 3-Day weekend was AWESOME!!!! My training partner and I walked all 60 miles!!!!! I managed to finish the event with not a single blister or injury. My training partner was not quite as lucky, but she did REALLY well (minor blister and sore ankle). Yippee!!!! I took very good care of my feet and it paid off - happy tootsies for all 60 miles.

On day 2 I developed mild road rash on my legs. The medical staff said it is an allergic reaction from the road fumes on your skin all day. It looked like a mild case of poison oak. Some ladies got it SO BAD - I felt lucky that my case was mild and it cleared up overnight with a little Benadryl cream.

The weather was perfect. Tampa was experiencing a "cold snap" so the temps were in the mid-80s with low humidity. We didn't have a drop of rain and there were several times during the walk a nice breeze picked up and cooled us off.

The community support was outstanding. It was literally a 60 mile buffet - I've never eaten so much in my life. Between the pit stops, grab 'n gos, and the members of the community who set up their own cheering stations to hand out food, candy, water, sports drinks, ice pops, gum, cookies, etc. I was NEVER hungry! In fact, I had to be careful because I was getting a tummy ache from all of the treats!

One lady was walking for her sister who was battling breast cancer. On the first night of the walk she received news that her sister had just passed away. It was an easy choice for her to continue on and complete all 60 miles of the walk.

All in all, it was an amazing experience. The 3-Day staff & crew ROCKS!!!!! I'm inspired to walk again and crew. It only took me about 12 hours after crossing the finish line to decide this is something I want to do again and again and again!

For all of you walkers I STRONGLY encourage you to take on the challenge of participating in a 3-Day. It's a life changing experience that you will NEVER regret. Seriously, visit www.the3day.org and consider walking in 2007. You cannot register for 2007 at this time, but start thinking about it. Heck, you're already in "training" with all of your walking, all you need to do is throw in a little fundraising and you're done! ;)

ArtsyGirl
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Genesis-

I'm so happy you had such an amazing experience. Congratulations on the no blisters. That is a GREAT accomplishment for a 3 day. I completely agree-if you have a chance, do a 3 day. I'm a better person due to each of the events in which I've been blessed to participate. Life altering is not an understatement.

ArtsyGirl
10-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi gals-I'll not be around til November. We leave on Saturday for our long anticipated hawaiin vacation.

I just wanted to let you know that the Breast Cancer 3 day has released its walk dates and cities for 2007. You can find the info at www.the3day.org if anyone is interested. I am doing crew in Michigan, and Cleveland, and still pondering walking in Chicago.

macdeez
10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey ladies, sorry I've been absent the last week and a half. We've been crazy busy around here, what with buying a house and all. Yup, our first house. And it came very suddenly too. I'm so excited! :carrot:

I've managed to rack up some decent miles though... I'm not sure I'll make my monthly goal, but we'll see. If not, I'm ok with it.

No more lbs lost to report... but I haven't gained either (which considering I've been naughty with food is quite amazing). With the financing of the house out of the way, I can get my attention back to where it should be -- on my weightloss. I'm still holding onto the idea of reaching GW by Halloween... :^:

Hope everything with you all is going well! Take care and best wishes!

~mel

Genesis
10-20-2006, 12:00 AM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 104
Miles to go = 0

I took three days off after my 60 mile walk and hit the gym today for the first time since returning from the 3-Day. I did an easy 3 miles and then swam 10 laps in the pool. My next goal is a triathlon, so I'll be doing more biking and swimming in the coming months.

Brandy, thanks for posting the 2007 3-Day dates. I've already marked Seattle's 3-Day on my calendar. I'm considering walking in Seattle next year. Seattle is my home town. My friend who walked Seattle in 2003 asked if I would be interested in crewing a different city. We may crew togther in either Boston, Chicago or San Diego. Heck, maybe I'll crew Tampa, too! The nice thing about crewing is that you don't have to worry about meeting a fundraising goal and you still get to participate in the fun weekend!

Mel, congrats on the house!

macdeez
10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Only on long enough to post miles for today - 6. Up to almost 50 for the month... better get my rear in gear if I want to make my goal.

~mel

Genesis
10-21-2006, 01:14 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 106
Miles to go = 0

Got in a shorty 2 miler yesterday.

Genesis
10-23-2006, 06:02 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 111
Miles to go = 0

It was a cool 78 degrees today so I took advantage of it and did a 5 mile jog/walk.

Genesis
10-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I know Brandy's on vacation, but where is everybody else??? Come on walkers, lace up those shoes and let's end October in style!!!

Go Walkers - Go Walkers - Go Walkers!!!!

:carrot:

You Can Do It - You Can Do It - You Can Do It!!!!

:cb:

Genesis
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 115
Miles to go = 0

4 more miles today brings my total for the month to 115

macdeez
10-26-2006, 03:35 AM
I managed to get in a few more miles... and I'm about 15 shy of making goal at this point. Really hoping to achieve the 80mi I set for myself this month!

Been quiet around here lately, I hope that means everyone's out there burning tread!

Take care, ladies!

~mel

Genesis
10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 119
Miles to go = 0

Genesis
10-30-2006, 09:23 PM
October goal = 100 miles
Miles walked = 128
Miles to go = 0

I squeezed in a 9 mile walk after work tonight. It felt good!

Michele L
11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Sorry I haven't been here! The end of October is always hectic with the end of the grading period--UUUGGGHHH!!

I DID reach my goal of 85 miles in October, though! I plan to scale back a bit for November. Between having only 30 days and Thanksgiving, I just don't think I can do quite as many miles.

Congrats to those who made their goals!

Genesis
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Yay Michele!~ Nice to see you made goal - that's terrific!

See you ladies on the November Walking Challenge thread!