Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  
jyda730

S/C/G: 162/160/105

Height: 5'1"

Default Soreness When Beginning a Program

Today I begin lifting after a very long time off. A few weeks ago I attempted a workout and found the next day I was so sore I couldn't move. I did the workout with a weighted body bar (around 8 lbs.) While the routine was simple and the weight felt light, I was still sore. This has happened in the past and I was wondering if there is any advice you can give on dealing with this. I know some soreness is inevitable, but perhaps you can suggest some ways to work through it. One of my problems in the past has been that I stop because of the soreness. I try to take Advil or something like that, but because of medical reasons I have to take very limited amounts. Also, I don't want to take something that will prevent me from recognizing when I am overdoing it. I also have to keep up my running program (Do you think some pilates or yoga might help?)

Any suggestions?

Today is upper body and running - Thanks!

jyda730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Soreness is normal, some like me actually like it .... When I know I've had a really really tough workout I take Glutamine after a workout and that reduces the soreness the next day. The more you workout the less you will be sore, so keep working out ... Now on that note, I gotta go workout , it's leg day
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love soreness too. If I'm not sore after a workout, I think I didn't work hard enough Did you stretch after your workout? I'd also make sure you stretch the day after as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #4  
jyda730

Thanks! I did stretch after the workout, but not the next day. I will definitely do it this time. I know if I keep moving, it will eventually get better.

Ilene, what can you tell me about Glutamine? I have been reviewing supplements to see what I might be able to take that would help with toning and endurance. I have to be careful though, I have a problem with my liver (it's healthly right now, but my dr. says I must watch everything that goes into my body).

This forum is one of the most informational and helpful I have found. I spend hours reading past posts and feel that you all are very supportive of one another. This is truly the first time I feel like I am welcome into an online group.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I've been lifting consistently since beginning of September, and the initial soreness has worn off. However, I had soreness again last nite that woke me from my sleep, so I got up and took some motrin (don't mess with my sleep, right?!) I don't know why, but it was my fingertips to my shoulders and likely from my ubwo Friday (but didn't hurt until sun nite after I did my lbwo!) I figure my upper body was just jealous it didn't get worked yesterday! I try to avoid medicating and find that throwing in some cardio will usually get the blood moving thru the muscles and relieve some of the pain. You could try that, and also the warm bath - although that relief is only temporary while you're in the tub.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #6  
Mel

Although I'm another one who gets annoyed when I don't get sore, I don't like to be crippled or incapacitated! I take glutamine daily. It not only helps with muscle repair, but also has been shown to give a boost to the respiratory immune system. I just add a scoop to my protein drink every morning.

Another thing that helps with lower body soreness aside from stretching, is to do 5-10 minutes of light cardio after a heavy leg workout. Walk, recumbent bike, elliptical...just keep moving. This isn't a "get your heart rate up " pace, but just keep the muscles moving and work out the lactic acid.

Keep at it- the soreness will go away! Then it's time to change things so you get sore again

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #7  
jyda730

Thanks Mel and hrbade, I have completed all of my errands for today, so now it's time for working out. I will definitely do some light cardio after lifting and look into the glutamine. I know the important thing is to keep moving.

Hope you have a great evening (it's 2:00p in Chicago)