Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/270.5/190

Height: 5'11

Default Ive used up all my willpower!

Hello all Iam a first time poster here....
I have lost 70 pounds to date, last sumer I was a VERY strict with my diet and excersise plan. It got a little unhealthy and I was eating about 600-800 calories a day, but it did get the weight off fast. Now Ive reached my first goal weight of 190 pounds (iam 5'11 and a size 12) but I really want this last 20 pounds gone but I jsut cant do it! Its like I can only eat very little or binge....iam ALWAYS hungry and when it comes to food I go crazy and just want to eat...I also have been in this pattern latley of doing really well during the day but after dinner I just go nuts! I cannot control it and my biggest fear is gaining back the weight I worked so hard to loose....I really just need help/advice about how to supress my cravings and how to eat right without going to an extreme (too little or too much)
Thanks!!!
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure I can give you much advice, but first I want to congratulate you on the 70 pounds!!!!!!

It sounds like you're going through what many people do when they really restrict -- you CAN lose weight that way, but you can't do it forever!

If you want to keep the weight off you've lost, be healthy, and maybe lose that last 20, you may need to learn new eating habits. Eating healthy for life! There are lots of ways to do that, and lots of things to learn. It doesn't just happen.

Most people who maintain a large weight loss report that they exercise regularly, so it's great you're doing it. But what are you doing? Strength training can help your metabolism -- muscle is more metabolically active than fat, and burns more calories.

Like I said, there's a lot to learn. I guess my advice is to take a deep breath, be patient with yourself, and find ways to be able to keep doing this for life!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #3  

Stick to a MINIMUM of 1200 calories and eat fruits and veggies...get all of your protein, carbs, fats...you'll feel much better about yourself and the weight will come off too, just a lil' bit slower. What's being thin if you are putting yourself at a higher risk for illnesses?
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #4  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I agree - don't eat too little, it only sets you up for a binge. Surround yourself with healthy food, get rid of the tempting foods. It has been really hard for me, but I've almost given up soda and fast food. Now they are only occasional treats. The trick to it has been that the more I pass it up, the easier it gets! I'm finding if I'm craving something, I can try to convince myself that I don't have to have it today, I'll have it tomorrow. I just keep shoving it off, and eventually I realize I'm not craving it anymore.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with others. If you aren't exercising, you should start. Doing strength training will help you build muscle and build up your metabolism. One of the problems with starvation diets is that you tend to lose more muscle than you would on a higher calorie diet. If you lose muscle, then your metabolism slows down a bit. Start learning to eat a healthy balanced diet and cut out the junk from your life and that'll help you maintain your weight and lose the excess 20 lbs. Things that will fill you up without a lot of calories include whole grains, lean proteins and vegetables. I would avoid processed foods and foods that contain added sugars as those will only contribute to your hunger.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the others, in fact before I found this board I would do the same as you, I would starve myself for a week or two, lose 5-7 pounds, then would binge and gain 10 pounds. I am now eating an average of 1450 calories per week and losing at about 1.5-2 pounds per week. It is a slow process but I am learning healthy habits as a result and I will more likely keep it off because I don't feel like I am restricting myself.
Try eating 5 small meals a day, some people do equal calorie meals, others have 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks, but it does really help. If I have a need a snack after dinner I usually makes some popcorn.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You shouldn't ALWAYS be hungry--that's a sign that you either aren't eating enough food throughout the day or that you are eating the wrong kinds of foods. You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories (possibly more, at your height/weight). You also want to make sure you eat some foods that are high in volume but low in calories along with lean proteins; this will help keep you filled up. Although it seems contrary to reason, not eating enough can prevent you from losing more weight. Pushing yourself to hard can also be a big trigger for binging.

Losing 70 pounds is a big accomplishment and takes a lot of work; maybe it's also time to give your self a maintenance break. It can be exhausting to always be trying to lose weight. Taking a break from actively trying to lose wieght and maintaining for 3-6 months might help you get back the resolve and determination you had in the beginning.

Finally, I also have trouble with evening cravings. I have found sugar-free gum and candy to be a big help. If I just have to eat something, I can chew some gum or suck on a piece of candy. Both are so low in calories I don't even bother to count them and both last a while. If I want something more substantial, I eat a sugar-free fudgesicle (but only one per night) and force myself to eat it very slowly.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #8  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Thumbs up

First off, CONGRATS on your weight loss so far. That's a big accomplishment that you should be very proud of.

Second, I agree with everyone else. I'm a newbie to this new way of thinking (2 weeks now) but I'm really suprising myself by sticking to it.

I'm trying to eat healthier. I'm sticking to between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day. I'm also doing the smaller-portions-every-3-hours thing and it's working AMAZINGLY! It's really more that I'm having 3 meals with 3 snacks, but I am finding that I'm not STARVING at mealtime now. I can't imagine eating any other way now... and it's only been 14 days. Especailly after this weekend. I treated my SO and myself to a splurge meal on Friday night and man did I pay for it. My stomach was not happy with me that evening. LOL

Anyway, good luck! I know you can do it. We're all in this to get healthier and live longer. You'll get a lot of great support at this site. I know I have!

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #9  

The purpose of this journey is to learn new eating habits while we are losing weight so that we can sustain the loss. You have practiced unhealthy ways and now will have to take the time to learn healthy eating. Also, at 5'11" is your goal a reasonable one? Our body doesn't always agree with the number on the scale when it comes to goals. You can't be healthy without daily exercise. 30 minutes a day for healthy, 60 minutes to help weight loss. And it doesn't have to be at the gym. Walking, dancing, playing with the kids, raking leaves, yard work, heavy house cleaning.

Good luck to you and keep coming by, there's great support here.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 281/270.5/190

Height: 5'11

Thanks everyone for all the advice! Its really nice to have a place where I can get advice...why didnt I know about this sooner?! Today I have been eating throughout the day apples,salad,pretzels,fat free yogurt...I feel so much better when I eat healthy Iam really going to try and stick to this plan, even if I dont lose weight I will be healthy! Iam going to step up my excercise and get a punch card to some pilates and "cardio funk" classes at my community center! I really apreciate all of the advice it was all really helpful...Iam definatley going to be making popcorn tonight if Iam hungry!
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote