Exercise! - Cool Runners - October

View Full Version : Cool Runners - October

Ilene
10-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey, where is everyone?

Onward and upwards to a new month :carrot: ...

YP1
10-02-2006, 04:12 AM
5 miles this morning, I seem to be recovering nicely - good job as it's less than two weeks til my half!

softballmom
10-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Got in my planned 4miles Saturday, even increasing my time a little bit. I actually did 4.25 total trying to build my mileage a little quicker before my scheduled 10k mid-November. Probably could have even gone a little further, but dh was waiting for me.

AnneWonders
10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
I did my triathlon yesterday. 1200 m swim, 30.5 mi bike, 10K "run". I put run in quotes because it was a hike, not a run. The course was on this narrow, mountainous, rocky trail, with treacherous footing and there were some sections I even had trouble walking up. Plus the temps soared to more than 100F by the time I was finished. This was after a brutal bike course with more than 2000ft of elevation gain. Total time 4h47m.

I think I have a couple short runs this week, but mostly it is a rest week. I need it. I'm very sore today, sunburned, and in general just feel off.

Anne

softballmom
10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
WTG Anne on your triathlon :bravo:

Lucky13
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
congrats on the tri Anne!

Well, I only managed to get in about 15 miles last week. My week of traveling left me very tired and I had a cold last week too...feeling much better this week though so I'm looking forward to getting back into my normal routine!

AnneWonders
10-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Results are up on my tri, and I came in absolutely flat last. I still feel OK about that. I really can't believe I finished that thing.

Anne

YP1
10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Well done on the tri, it sounds really challenging and you did well to finish it. I'm still pondering trying tri, it sounds very hard though!

jennie934
10-02-2006, 02:24 PM
hey cool runners!
I started running last year and did the couch to 5K training to do my first 5K race. this year I made it up to the 10K. whoo hoo. so now I'm trying to train for a 1/2 marathon in the spring. I have a while. any suggestions. or places to look for training schedules. this weekend I got in a nice 5 mile run. most work days, I only get in 3 miles. I know I"ll have to beef those up in order to get in enough for the 1/2 marathon.
thanks

Phish44118
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi ladies, I am new to 3fat chicks and a runner. Can I join your thread?

A bit about me – I’m 27 and live in Cleveland OH. I started running in Jan and did my first half marathon a few weeks ago (2:08:15) and have another this Sunday. I’m a relatively slow runner, but I love it and I am so bummed it took me this long to give it a try. I am doing my first marathon with a friend in May 2007. So, I hope to keep my running up to 20 -25 miles a week this winter and then pick up my training again in the spring.

Jennie934 – Check out Hal Higdon’s website for some good training schedules.

Anne – Congrats on the tri! That’s next on my list, I really want to try one!

Only Me
10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Anne, great job on the tri! It sounds like a tough course.

Welcome Phish!

After a busy weekend involving bathroom renovations and kids swimming lessons but no running, I managed to get in 16km this afternoon. It was a couple of weeks since I last ran further than 10-11km and most of it was on the medium to fast side for me, so as I was running along at a slow, comfortable pace today I remembered, oh yeah, this great feeling is why I love running. I see more long runs in my future weekends.

Ilene
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Way to go Anne :bravo: I was tired just reading about the tri, great work, I am so annoyed at myself for chickening out this summer for my tri :( ... Next year, maybe, just maybe...

Gym day today, tomorrow is a run with the gals...

Phish44118
10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Morning ladies. I have a trail run tonight. It should be fun. This group is holding runs every Tues night in Oct. It's at a different trail each time and we don't know how far or where we are going until we get there! Fun, fun or a good premise for a horror movie! LOL!

softballmom
10-03-2006, 12:06 PM
For you guys with running groups, where do you start looking for one in your area? Any suggestions? I know there are track clubs in my area, but they seem too elite for my style.

I agree Phish, with no before knowledge it could be fun or a scream :lol:

flatfoot
10-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Howdy! I am new to 3FC and was happy to see some runners in here. I have been running for a while and losing weight for a while with still a way to go on both counts. I just ran in my first marathon and was a victim of the dreaded sweep bus (you know, the bus that travels behind the pack and sweeps you up if you are below the course time limit), so now I am working on getting faster before I start training for my next marathon in June.

I just started a new speedwork program that incorporates for high intensity workouts without the same emphasis on distance. It also includes more cross training which is a new experience for me. I need to buy a swimsuit. Yikes.

I do one or two short races a month with some longer ones thrown in for good measure. The races keep me motivated because then there is no way that I can slack off on the training. I am very slow (I actually finished dead last in my first half marathon) but highly motivated.

Ilene
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
:wel3fc: flatfoot ... I've never heard of a sweepbus :eek:

Today I run with the group, 5k...

flatfoot
10-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Maybe the sweep bus it is something unique to the Twin Cities marathon. There was a really cute story in the local newspaper about someone who had a sign on her back that said "back off sweeper bus" who finished just in the nick of time.

YP1
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I've heard of them, but always managed to avoid them. I did see the Berlin one when I was walking to the hotel after finishing - it was coming up the last mile or so right behind a couple of people, I think by that stage it was just following them rather than threatening to pick them up though because the end was well and truly in sight.

Ilene
10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Just the thought of a sweep bus would make me run faster :lol: ...

I got lazy and didn't run today :sad: ...

jennie934
10-03-2006, 10:28 PM
hey ladies,
got a short one in today. 3 miles. I wanted to do 5 but it started to get dark and the park I go to doesn't have lights. I like going in the moring. no one else is there. tonight there were tons of people biking jogging eating picnics. I'm such a sour puss but I like the ussual people I see in the mornings.
anyway, a few of us at work decided to train for a half marathon. its not unitl the spring but it will keep me going as it gets colder and darker. I got some training schedules that look interesting. I'll let you know how it goes. hopefully, no sweep bus at this one!
Jennie

YP1
10-04-2006, 02:25 AM
4.5 miles today of attempted speedwork. I've only ever done intervals on the treadmill before, but decided to try them on a roughly 1km loop, going fast for maybe 1/3 of it and then recovering for the other 2/3. The first time was definitely fast - it was pitch black with no lights and I heard some dogs coming up fast behind me! As it lightened up a bit it wasn't so bad, so I did a few loops plus a hill that I usually try to avoid and 1 mile each way to/from the park.

softballmom
10-04-2006, 08:49 AM
I also ended with a very short run last night (2.5miles) after I was planning for at least 3.75, possibly 4.

I'm with you, Ilene, on the sweeper bus mentality - "run faster" :lol3: Do they have these just for the marathons? Or do shorter races tend to have as well? I've never seen one, only the truck that comes behind everyone picking up the cones and barricades. It's a good visual anyway!!

Lucky13
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I've done two runs this week: 5 on Monday and 4 last night...

Am planning a 14-miler for this weekend so that should definitely be interesting :)

RockerGirl
10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
10/4 - 3.5 miles on TM.

YP1
10-05-2006, 02:32 AM
5.5 miles on a hillier route than normal. I noticed that my HR was lower than it has been recently, I might finally have shaken this cold. Hopefully!

flatfoot
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Two miles of speedwork and twenty minutes of easy running. My legs feel a bit like wet noodles after the speedwork, but it was not too bad.

softballmom
10-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I found a way to beat the monotony for longer runs. I started out at the track where I regularly run laps to make my planned miles. Well my dh, who I had rode with to the park, decided he would go home for a minute and then come back and fetch me. So I decided to be WOMAN and play out my independence - who needs a man to come pick you up? So I left the park and headed home on a 3mile hilly course (with a sidewalk - thank God), and I did it!! I found it very enjoyable! He did catch me about half way, turned around, and waited for me at the start of the neighborhood - what a guy.

I think I will do this more often for the longer runs (3+miles) as it gives freedom to my runs instead of the measured ho-hum laps, been there done that mentality.

YP1
10-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Just over 9 miles today. The past couple of weeks have been funny, I've been torn between wanting to recover from the marathon, and wanting to get at least one decent length run in for confidence for the half. I think I've got the balance just about right, with the 9 miler today being the confidence run, and now I'll just get a couple of shorter ones in before Amsterdam on Sunday. It was so nice to be running in daylight!

Ilene
10-08-2006, 09:57 AM
6K run today, first outside run in a long time, it was tough I enjoyed it only after about 30 mins though ... I may do it again tomorrow...

AnneWonders
10-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I did 3.1 miles this morning. It was pretty tough--I'm still sore and recovering from last week's tri. I made it more than 1.5 miles before I took my first walk break, then had only one more, and a long cool-down.

I'm racing a fun tri next weekend. Hoping I'm better by then. I also need to work on my bike a bit to get it ready.

Anne

Lucky13
10-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I ran 14 miles yesterday! That's the furthest I've ever run and has been quite the mental hurdle!

Well, it wasn't fun and I ran at about a 10-min/mile pace (My goal for the marathon is under 10-minute miles) so I was just barely in that zone...

I didn't get in a whole lot of miles last week. Will try harder this week!

softballmom
10-09-2006, 09:26 AM
WTG Emily on your 14miler!

I came off the track again Saturday, and ran 5miles along the road. It was a lot easier bc I didn't get bored. I didn't even use my radio to keep me company, just me and nature. I really think I will leave the track to only short runs and speedwork. The longer runs just need more variety than going in circles humpteen times.

AnneWonders
10-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Congrats Emily on your 14 miler!

Softballmom, I think the track is only marginally less awful than the treadmill. I'm glad you got a good long run on the road.

I'm still hurting from yesterday, but I'm going to go for a short 2 miler tomorrow. My orthotics are supposed to be in any time now, so hopefully that will take care of some of the PF pain.

Anne

flatfoot
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Excellent weekend of running. I did eight miles on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. I am still in low gear after the marathon, but it was nice to get out there and the weather was excellent.

I am starting my swimming today. I bought a swim suit and it was not that bad. I have not owned a swim suit in years so I was a bit gun shy, but I found some really good serious sports suits.

iowasteph2
10-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Hello! I took my neighbor's dog out for a 2 miler, and then finished with another mile or so on my own (poor dog doesn't get any exercise unless I take her, and my neighbors just love me to do it).

Softballmom, I agree with Anne. There really isn't much worse, in my opinion, then running on the track. It's so convenient for speed work (like you mentioned), but there's no way I could keep myself motivation for a longer run. I think you have a great idea with mixing it up a bit.

I'm thinking of trying a half marathon in the spring. Winters are so torture weather-wise that I think I need to chose something to help keep myself motivated. Hmm...I'll have to look up some races. I planned on doing the Las Vegas Marathon, but changed plans quickly once I became pregnant. Well, now that I miscarried, I think I need something else to work towards. My eating has completely gone astray. I think I need to lose 10-15 pounds, and that will help my running so much.

Keep up all the good work!!! Stephanie

RockerGirl
10-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Ran on the TM tonight 5.25 miles. I felt okay feet are a little sore. I'm breaking in a new pair of running shoes

YP1
10-10-2006, 02:03 AM
I would agree with moving off the track too, I would just find it too dull (nearly as bad as the treadmill), although it has its uses for speedwork I suppose.

3.7 miles outside again this morning, I finally worked out why I seem to be going slower at the moment than I have been doing - it's because I'm having to slow down because I can't see where I'm going! Today I only nearly tripped once, and brushed my legs with some nettles but no serious mishaps :lol:

AnneWonders
10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Two miles this morning. DH 'let' me run this morning and took care of DD. I ran pretty fast for me, at least lately, as well, 11min/mile. I got most of the 2 miles and had one small walk break near the end--my HR just got over 180 and I had to rest for a minute. It was a beautiful morning, moon was bright, coyotes were singing, temps in the low 50s--I could actually see my breath fog up in the moonlight. Very nice.

Helen, do you have a headlamp? I run with one when I run in the dark. I got it a few years back when I noticed there were lots of dead snakes on the road in the mornings--I decided I didn't want to accidently run into their friends as they warmed themselves on the road. I've never actually seen a snake with it (well, a live one), but it does help pick up potholes and such and makes it easier for cars to see me. I also figure it helps the mountain lions to know that I'm not a deer, which is a GOOD thing. I'm guessing you wouldn't have that issue! :)

Anne

Lucky13
10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Just a 3-mile walk last night to get any kinks out...i'm very glad that i am not sore and my back doesn't hurt like the last half marathon i ran in february...i may be larger than i was 8 months ago but apparently i'm stronger! lol

walking 3 miles sure does take a long time! was very tempted to run but i knew i needed a day off to recover...will run tonight

have a great day!

em

flatfoot
10-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Well, last night it was swiming, or should I say semi coordinated flailing. I could not go particularly far, but I can certainly feel it today. All those leg muscles that are not used as much when running are yelling at me today. I had forgotten that feeling from when I had first started running and I could feel it in my muscles.

Tonight I have to go to the track, which I agree is truely boring, to do 8 x 400 plus warm up and cool down. I am really working on pushing the pace, so we shall see how it plays out. My next 5k is not till November, so hopefully I will be able to see some serious progress.

YP1
10-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Anne, I don't have a headlamp yet although I'm intending to get one. I'm building up my stock of winter stuff slowly and decided that the most pressing purchase was an alarm. Hopefully there will be money in the budget for a lamp after pay day, until then I'm going to try to run the better lit routes.

AnneWonders
10-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok, I signed up for the Rock n Roll AZ half marathon. I'll feel like myself again, in a running sense anyway, after that. I'm scaling back on the swimming and biking to once a week each, and will up the running to about 4 times/week.

Woo-hoo!

Anne

YP1
10-11-2006, 02:26 AM
I've run 1000 miles this year! (Or at least I've covered 1000 miles while out for runs, there have been a few walk breaks in there ;) )

About 4.5 miles this morning, probably my last run before my half unless I do a 2 miler on Friday morning.

AnneWonders
10-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I've run 1000 miles this year!

:bravo: What an amazing milestone! Would you ever even have thunk it a couple of years ago? Congrats!

Anne

Lucky13
10-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Wow - Helen - 1000 miles is definitely an accomplishment! how many marathons would that be? About 38 - pretty cool!!

I got in 6.5 miles last night - was still a little tired from Sunday's run I think because I had to walk the last 1.5 miles...but I walked really fast ;)

softballmom
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Congrats Helen on your 1000 miles. What's next year's challenge? I wonder if you and 2Frustrated are going to be in the same half marathon. She's also got one coming up this weekend, I believe.

Well, I really did not feel like running last night. BUT, I forced myself out the door and was so glad that I did it anyway. Got 4miles in on the road, plus it seems my time is getting better.

Ilene
10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Ran yesterday, 5k, with the gals... today did some HIIT for 30 mins on the dreadmill...

Helen :high: 1000 miles, that IS something to celebrate!!

AnneWonders
10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Two miles and change this morning. Low 50s again--helps so much to have a decent temperature. Finished in 26 minutes, including my walking warm up and cool down. Running pace was 11:04/mile for the first half and 10:40/mile for the second! No walk breaks. I pushed the speed a bit, and it was a hard, but not crazy effort. This is my last run before the sprint tri this weekend, which has a 3 mile run. After this race, I start picking up my mileage, and my long run next weekend is 6 miles. I'll then build to between 10 and 12 in prep for the half.

Anne

RockerGirl
10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
I ran 3.5 miles on the TM over lunch yesterday. I am considering a marathon in April here in St. Louis. The reason I say "considering" is that I HATE the cold weather and don't know if I will be able to handle running outside during the winter.

AnneWonders
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
RockerGirl, signing up for a race might keep you motivated to run, even if it is not so nice. OTOH, you could sign up for a half (assuming you have that option) and give yourself a little leeway.

Anne

YP1
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Softballmom - yes it's the same half marathon, we're meeting up tomorrow and staying on a houseboat in Amsterdam for the weekend. Kykaree's also coming, but not running.

softballmom
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Helen: Too cool... Give yourself and 2Frus my regards and best of luck.

I think I need to rest up the next two days before my 5k Saturday. I have never had more than a day rest in between my runs since the beginning of June, and lately (since adding mileage) I've noticed my achilles on one of my ankles is sore - not unbearably. In fact, it doesn't bother me when I'm running or walking around, but when I wear heels or try to place my foot into a boot where I'm over extending it, it does give a small pain. Or when I'm sitting at my desk and point my toes downward it just feels tight and achey. I seem to be more aware of it this week, so I guess it's time.

flatfoot
10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Speedwork is totally kicking my a**. I can see that it is going to be fun someday, but I really am starting to miss my dum-de-dum pace long runs.

iowasteph2
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
How cold to you ladies consider "too cold" to run? One of my co-workers and I were discussing this today. We both took today and yesterday off, because it was just too suddenly cold here...the weather just suddenly dropped 30-40 degrees! But, it's still about 35 degrees here, so it's still certainly warm enough to be outside. (35 would be absolutely balmly in January!) We were thinking that less than 15 is pretty much unbearable for us. Do you have a cut-off? To me, wind plans a huge factor too. Wind chills are horrible!!

No running for me today except the sprinting I'm doing around the house to try to get this dang place clean!

Have a good night!

AnneWonders
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I run all through the winter, but it has never gotten colder than 28F for me. I think the key is dressing for it. Ilene, isn't it cold up there?

Anne

softballmom
10-13-2006, 08:39 AM
We'll let you know after tomorrow. My 5k is in the No GA mountains and the temps at 7a tomorrow morning is fcstd at lo-mid 30s. I haven't ran in anything below 60 yet, but look forward to it in comparison to the 90-100 degree heat just about two months ago! I agree with Anne, just dress for it. I'm wearing long pants with a long tee then by the 1mile mark I should be toasty :crossed:

AnneWonders
10-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Today I did my tri, and I had a GREAT race. After a season of horrible races, I really needed this one. It was fun to do well, my 2nd best time on this course ever, and by far the best since before the baby. I had a personal best swim, taking more than a minute off my previous time, my bike was very strong, and the run (my weakest leg right now) was even pretty good, 3 miles/35 minutes, 11:40/mile. Some walking, but it was by far my fastest 3mi/5K run in a couple years, and only 3+ minutes off my triathlon best run. Even my transistions were fast. In the grand scheme of things, I'm still in no danger of winning my age group or anything, but it was good to have a race that wasn't a suffer-fest, and feel like maybe some of the training actually did some good.

I'm sure I'll be a little sore tomorrow since I raced HARD, but I'm feeling pretty good physically.

Are you all out running? Nobody's around!

Anne

YP1
10-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Well done Anne, I bet it feels good to do a good race.

My weekend was great, but the race itself wasn't fantastic. I knew before I started that I probably wouldn't manage a PB so soon after Berlin and having lost a bit of speed training for that, but I got to about 15k and I was doing pretty well. Then going off faster than I'd planned started to catch up with me and my hip started to hurt a bit so I slowed down a fair bit, the 1:55 pacers went past me (my PB is 1:53) and I ended up getting home in almost dot on 2 hours. I thought it would be about 2 hours before I started, but I was still disappointed having run a decent first 15k to fade so much at the end. Still it's not a bad time, and I have more halves planned for when I've done a bit more training to get some speed back in my legs.

AnneWonders
10-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Helen, I bet you are still recovering from Berlin, at least at a cellular level. Some of the running books say you should take 1 day of recovery for every mile you race, and you're only 3 weeks out, right? I bet after a month or so you'll be setting a new PB.

I'm a little sore today, looking forward to my rest day and my massage on Friday. I was supposed to have 2 rest days, but DH's schedule won't allow it if I want to get my running in this week (I do have a half on the calendar now so I can't slack off too much). Our deal was my training had priority through my big tri a couple weeks ago, and then his quest for the sub-3 hr marathon would take over. I guess I do get my two rest days, just not all in a row!

Anne

YP1
10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I know it's a bit soon after Berlin, which is why I didn't expect to break any records, I just wish I'd paced it a bit better on the day, but I let myself get a bit carried away.

The main sign I hadn't quite recovered is the state of my legs today, they feel sorer than they did after doing the marathon itself! Fingers crossed they'll have recovered enough for me to go to a running club I'm seriously considering joining on Wednesday.

flatfoot
10-16-2006, 02:53 PM
My cut off for temperature is arround 0, although I have done a 5k where the temp was closer to -5 and had days where is was 15 but with a cold wind where I opted to stay inside. It is all about the clothing. I use a lot of stuff that is designed for cross country skiing.

Lucky13
10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Did my 14-miler (was supposed to be 15) on Friday (which was also my 30th birthday - maybe that's a sign - lol) and it did not go well...i was very tired...(did it in the morning about 1 hr after eating breakfast) and i ended up walking alot of the 2nd hour...to put things in perspective: the first time i ran it in 2:20...this time was 2:45...ugh...oh well i'm definitely learning how my body likes to run...long runs for training are definitely best around mid-afternoon early evening...no more of these 'right before i get to bed' long runs...

oh well...yesterday was 6 miles and it was much better...am planning on a lot of quick runs and 2 medium runs this week before heading out of town to visit DH's family.

Congrats on your tri, Anne!

Ilene
10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Helen and Anne, you guys amaze me :woohoo: (love this new little guy!!)

Yesterday I ran 6k, this morning I did 5k on the dreadmill...It's all good :D ...

MariaMaria
10-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Can y'all give some examples of your winter gear, please? I'm not planning for 0 but anything below freezing kicks my butt now and I'd like to extend my able-to-run range.

I can start: For 30s (F), I like midweight tights, long sleeve wicking tee, fleece (200-weight, I think) pullover that unzips, gloves. Fleece headband only if it feels a lot colder than it is.

2frustrated
10-17-2006, 04:58 AM
:wave: Yoooohoooo!

I ran the half-marathon too! I did it in 2:38 and here's little old me worrying about a 3hour cut-off! :D

So proud! :woohoo:

AnneWonders
10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Well, 2F you've got to post! To brag! Woo hoo! CONGRATULATIONS! No worries about that cutoff. We're proud of you. Hope you a fun weekend.

Anne

softballmom
10-17-2006, 09:28 AM
WTG Anne, Helen, and Frus on your tri and runs this weekend.

I did okay in my 5K with a lesson learned: I dressed too warmly and had to start unpinning my number to take layers off, which slowed me down a little.
If I had ran with my planned clothes (long pants with a ss tee under a longsleeve) I would have been fine.

AnneWonders
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Softballmom, you can also pin to the lowest layer and take off as you go. There is also a gadget called a race belt that is used in triathlon (I use it for running races as well) that is very handy--basically an elastic belt that you pin your number to, and you clip it on around your waist, very portable, very adjustable. This is what one looks like:
http://www.tri-sports.com/racenumberbelt.html

I had a fantastic 4 miler today. 12min/mile pace. Felt easy, felt good. I had a scheduled walk break at 2 miles, which I probably didn't need, but I took it anyway since it was on the schedule and the last thing I want to do is run around with a sense of euphoria clouding my judgement and overdo.

Anne

Ilene
10-17-2006, 12:32 PM
:woohoo: 2Frus!! :high:

I purposely underdress all the time when I run in cold weather... I run in -20C/-4F in the winter, I wear only one pair of tights that are a dryweave and have sort of a light fleece inside, I wear the same type of hoodie top under my running jacket, I undo the zippers under my sleeves in the winter too ... I get so hot that it drives me nuts to carry around extra bagage... If I am on the coolish side when I start running I know I will be ok by mid-run when I start sweating... I get teased all the time running with the gals but I am always comfortable by the end of the run and the others have had to strip away the layers and tied their jackets around their waists, etc... So I guess I'd rather be cold than too hot but I must say I have never ever been cold running.

softballmom
10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Anne for the belt idea. Def something to look into b4 the next planned race in November.

My race was done in the low 30s, and I think one layer with a possible jacket that could be tied around my waist would have been sufficient. Fortunately, GA winters don't fall below the 30s too often when I would be running (afternoons). It only took a mile to get warm as well, so I would rather run cold for about 10-12 minutes than run too warm for the remainder!

YP1
10-18-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm going to running club for the first time tonight, fingers crossed my legs hold out! I'm actually getting quite excited about running in a group, and getting to wear a club vest in races.

RockerGirl
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I did 40 minutes on the TM - 3.65 miles.

Does anyone find that they can run faster/easier on different TM's. I know they aren't calibrated exactly the same, but when I use any of the StarTrac's at my small gym I find that I run much faster and easier than when I use one of the Precor TM's at the other gym.

Ilene
10-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Helen -- You'll love the camaradery of a group, I know I love my group and hate missing the runs with them...

Rocker -- I've only run on a Precor, so I can't help you there...I'm sure there are some differences in the quality so that would make a difference in the run IMHO...

Today I did some HIIT on the :tread: I only had 30 mins, so that's all I did...

Ilene
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey triathletes did you see this cute smilie :swim: ... I love it!

YP1
10-19-2006, 03:58 AM
I love it! I'll have to do some swimming so I can use it!

I went to running club last night and quite enjoyed it, they're all really friendly and there are enough slower people to split into groups with the fast ones heading off on a slighly longer route and the slower ones taking it more gently. I haven't officially joined yet, but I think I will, then I get a natty purple vest to wear in all my races.

20 minutes of speedwork on the :tread: too this morning. I've lost a lot of speed during marathon training, and I find it easier to stick to fixed intervals on the treadmill to make myself work harder. I'd forgotten how boring it is though, I wanted to do longer originally, but got bored and did some weights instead.

AnneWonders
10-20-2006, 09:11 AM
:swim: :bike2: :running:

Well, it is getting to be running season! 3 miles this morning, I ran the whole thing with no walk breaks at a relatively decent pace. Got some kind of cold trying to creep in though, I was coughing a lot of the way. 45F this morning, almost new moon--just a little sliver with lots of earthshine, Orion was cheering me on, and there appears to be a meteor shower happening. Love running in the dark!

Anne

flatfoot
10-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I totally agree about the tredmill=boredom thing. I also do all of my intervals on the treadmill and it is just a slog sometimes. There is one treadmill at my gym that faces into a brick wall. Honestly, there is nothing like running 4 miles of speedwork counting bricks.

I am considering signing up for a half amrathon in January, but I am concerned about the course time limit. My last half was just over 3 hours and I think that this one closes the course in 3 hours exactally.

Ilene
10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Ah, yes, the dreadmill :tread:, I did 5k of intervals this morning too...

...there is nothing like running 4 miles of speedwork counting bricks.
Oh, you poor thing, I at least hope you had some music ... Luckily we have new dreadmills at the gym and they each have their own TV monitor :dance:... I always watch Regis and Kelly... The other day Kelly was being particularly nutty and this lady and I, both watching the same show, we're laughing our heads off ... We musta looked a little :crazy:

YP1
10-21-2006, 05:55 AM
I did 10k this morning, it was so nice running daylight - it was even sunny and vaguely warm, so I made the most of it as it could be the last time this year. Hopefully I'll do a longish run tomorrow.

Shrinking Mama
10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Hello gang,

I've lurked here for a while. You ladies are inspiring! I started running in June and I am running my first 5k next weekend. Lately I've had a bit of a wheeze while running outside and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the weather change and breathing. Inside on the treadmill I am fine but outside I am feeling the difference. Thanks!

AnneWonders
10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi shrinking mama! Congrats on your amazing weight loss and good luck with your 5K next weekend.

Colder weather causes my nose to run, and if I have any congestion at all, I'll cough. Also if you have any inclination to exercise induced asthma (which can develop at any age), cold can aggravate it. If you are concerned about it, talk to your doctor.

Anne

YP1
10-22-2006, 01:52 PM
I only did 7 miles in the end this morning, at the moment I'm heading out to see what I fancy doing rather than having a pre-determined route in mind. I want to get back to just enjoying running again rather than constantly trying to hit a pre-determined distance in a certain time.

It's running club tomorrow, and according to the training schedule on the website it's a 10k route which should be good. I just need to hope I can get out of work on time (the reason I've been hesitant for ages about running in the evening), but I've packed my running stuff in my bag so I can go straight up there.

AnneWonders
10-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Just about 6 miles for me this morning. I got talked into a 5K, which I did in 34:05 (better than 11 min/miles, if only just), my best time in a while, if still pretty bleak. Then I ran the course again so I could get in my 6 (I cut off a short out and back the 2nd time so it wasn't quite 10K when all was said and done). Total of 1h11m running. I feel pretty good.

So my longest run in a while and my fastest in a while!

Anne

Shrinking Mama
10-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Anne - Thanks for your response. I think you may be right. I'll have to get it checked out. Way to go on running the 5k course twice!

midwife
10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey, gang,
Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. I haven't been running very much, letting other things take priority, and I even thought about changing my half-marathon event to a 5K today. There was so much hassle and confusion with my registration that I did not end up changing events and so I lined up this morning terribly unsure I could run 5 miles, much less 13.2.

The first 2 miles consisted of people passing me. I began to wonder if I was the last person once I stopped being passed, but I refused to look back just in case I was right! Walkers were even passing me! : )

Around mile 3 I began to feel pretty good. My plan was to run to the half way point and then walk a mile if I needed to and then run again. Before I knew it, I saw DH coming back (he had made it to the halfway point and had already turned around). He gave me a high five and said I was doing great. I took that to mean that I was almost at the half way point, and I was just two miles away!

Then I turned around and felt so good that I just kept running. By then the marathoners were on their way back, so I was being passed often again. I was actually reassured by that because my main concern at that point was that I would get lost!

The half back went so much more quickly. I hit nine miles, and then 10 and thought...piece of cake! Just a 5K left! I kicked it up a little and started passing all those walkers who had passed me!

DH met me a half mile out from the finish line and ran with me the rest of the way. Some of my dd's cross country team members were manning the finish line to cut off shoe tags and when I crossed the finish line, I heard a chorus of "Go, Katie's mom!!" That was the best part of the whole race.

So...I did it! I ran a half marathon. I met my original goals, which were: 1) to do it! (and I almost weenied out of it) and 2) to run the whole way, which I did. I ran for 3 h 55 minutes, and my other goal was to finish in less than 4 hrs. I ran 13 min/miles, which is slow (DH ran 8 min/miles)...but I did it!!!!

Thanks so much to you all, the cool runners, and to the other athletes on 3FC. You all inspired me today in so many ways!

AnneWonders
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
So...I did it! I ran a half marathon. I met my original goals, which were: 1) to do it! (and I almost weenied out of it) and 2) to run the whole way, which I did. I ran for 3 h 55 minutes, and my other goal was to finish in less than 4 hrs. I ran 13 min/miles, which is slow (DH ran 8 min/miles)...but I did it!!!!

:woohoo:

Welcome back. I've been wondering where you've been! Congrats!

Anne

AnneWonders
10-22-2006, 07:33 PM
And while I'm wondering about people, Ali, are you out there lurking? How are you and that beautiful baby doing?

Anne

midwife
10-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Anne!!

YP1
10-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Well done on your half midwife, that's fantastic :)

Ilene
10-23-2006, 08:25 AM
:high: midwife... You did it !!

softballmom
10-23-2006, 09:58 AM
WTG midwife! I'm so glad that you went ahead with the half - it's gotta be even more special knowing that you almost gave in to the 5K. What a self-encouragement to you! :bravo:

I'm back to running after taking a break last week. My schedule got real flaky so I took a rest week. I so miss it and can't wait for this afternoon. I still have a 10K coming up in November and at the moment have only worked up to 5 miles, so lots to work on over the next couple of weeks.

Lucky13
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Good Morning all

didn't get in a lot of miles last week because of a weekend trip to visit DH's family so i have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks

I have a half in less than two weeks, then a 30K right before Thanksgiving and three weeks after that is the full marathon...

I am planning a 17 miler this weekend...after that the half should be easy (yeah, right!! - lol)

It's amazing how your mind gets when you start to run further...9 or 10 miles isn't that far, right? (while everyone else's jaws drop around you and look at you like you are crazy)...btw - i do still think it's a fairly far distance...you got to play the mind games with yourself though!

Congrats on the half mid-wife!!!

AnneWonders
10-23-2006, 10:25 AM
It's amazing how your mind gets when you start to run further...9 or 10 miles isn't that far, right? (while everyone else's jaws drop around you and look at you like you are crazy)...btw - i do still think it's a fairly far distance...you got to play the mind games with yourself though!

I know what you mean Emily. On my long runs with scheduled walk breaks, I used to just run for 10 minutes. Over and over again! I had my watch set up so it would only show me the 10 minutes. After a while you zone out. I guess that would work without walk breaks as well. Good luck with your long run.

Anne

midwife
10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Helen, Ilene, Softball Mom, and Emily!! You guys were all on my mind. I am so amazed at the mileage this group puts up week after week! Woohoo!!

YP1
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I had a really good run with the club tonight, about 6.5 miles with a couple of nasty hills. Wednesday's run is a half marathon, there's a shorter option but I'm away at the weekend and won't get a long run in, so I think I'll do the half.

AnneWonders
10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Three miles this morning. Tough run, lots of walking. I guess you win some, you lose some.

I'm out of town on travel for a couple days. I'll check back after my next run on Friday.

Anne

softballmom
10-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I got my first run in since over a week ago. And it felt wonderful!! I ran 20 minutes out, then turned around. That's what I love about running: tie your shoes and go, anywhere.

Lucky13
10-24-2006, 09:24 AM
got in 7.5 miles last night in 67:30 - felt great for almost the entire run - that brings up my confidence a little for my long run this weekend.

Lucky13
10-25-2006, 09:24 AM
wow - 2 posts in a row for me - that doesn't happen often - lol

got in 3 good miles last night...wasn't going to do any but thought i needed to after my 'candy fest' yesterday!

come on - i know i'm not the only one running!

freethetoys
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Heylo there ladies...
im about to start running....well walking up to a light jog to start with i guess lol.
I decided to run, because its free and fairly easy.
i went out bought myself a good pair of running shoes and now i deffinetly have to use them, im off tonight, im going to run around our local park, i think its about a mile the entire weay around, ill b happy if i do it once to be honest.
IM a rubbish runner, i have good stamina but no speed, so i think its gonna really help my weight loss if i do somthing i hate and become better at it. My boyfriend is gonna run with me tonight (in the wet and rain yuk) but im gonna aim to do it 2x a week to start with and then when i feel more confident see i fi can force my self out 3 times a week ( i guess ills ee if i can increase my speed or length of distance)
just wondering if there were any tips??
wish me luck :-s

YP1
10-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Last night's run was surprisingly fun. It was pouring with rain the whole way round, and I was really questionning the wisdom of doing the half marathon route, but because I was running it with other people I decided to go for it. I even talked myself out of taking my car keys (after 6 or 7 miles the route passes within a mile of my house and I could have gone home, picked up the car and driven back to the leisure centre to collect my stuff to avoid doing the second half).

I ran a lot slower than I normally do. Because there were only three of us doing it (everyone else chickened out), we all stuck together and ran at the pace of the slowest person. A couple of times I went on ahead and waited at junctions (mainly on uphill stretches that I wanted to run properly because I've got a hilly race coming up), but it was better to run slowly in the rain and keep warm than to run faster and end up standing in it waiting! I was surprised at how easy I found it running that bit slower.

We didn't quite do 13.1 miles - the route has a couple of slight detours down side streets and up to the finish to make up the distance, the loop itself it about 12.5 miles, but that will do me. The only problem was that near the end I stood on a piece of plastic I hadn't seen and did a really slow motion fall (the sort where you can feel yourself going for about 5 more steps but can't do anything to stop it) and have a really bruised hip, grazed knee and hand now. We walked for a bit, then ran the rest of the way back because walking was too cold and I just wanted to get inside.

1 week in and I'm really glad I started going to running club, there's no way I'd have done that run on my own last night in that weather, but now I've got my long run for the week out of the way I don't need to feel guilty about not running at the weekend. I can let my bruises heal!

softballmom
10-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Helen, hope your hip and other body parts are feeling better soon! I'm trying to find a running group in my area just for mojo during the winter months.
Can't believe that in July/August when I was running in 99 degree heat, I was wishing for this weather. I just have to keep remembering that after the first mile you do get toasty - it's getting out of the car that's the hard part. And we're still in the upper 50s when I run in the afternoon. Yes, running with others will definitely help on the longer runs.

midwife
10-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Ran two miles, cause that's all I had time for, but I am so GLAD that I did it! I never regret exercising.

YP1
10-27-2006, 02:49 AM
I am so GLAD that I did it! I never regret exercising.

I'm so glad I saw that this morning, I woke up and was deciding whether to do 3.5 miles before work because I won't be able to run again until Monday - I read your post so I headed out and just did it.

AnneWonders
10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
A short two miler this morning. Started out pretty fast but had some kind of GI issue so had to walk it off. Still was one of my faster runs on this route. Same issue came back when I was walking the dogs later, so I don't think it was running-related.

Anne

AnneWonders
10-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Got out for 6 miles this morning. Planned walk breaks at 3 and 5 miles. It was a nice run, with some friends. I hung for 3 miles but then they dropped me! I felt pretty good afterward, but can tell I'm still doing this on short mileage.

Breakthrough of the day, after the last walk break, I was encouraging myself with "Only one mile left-piece of cake." "Only." And it was true. So psychological barrier is now gone. I have struggled so much to get back to this place. Starting over is so hard, and I feel like myself again.

My next run is Tuesday--3 miles, and then the last tri of the season on Saturday, a fun little local sprint. Then I revert to being a runner who does a little cross training for the winter season, and put tri away until Feb.

Anne

iowasteph2
10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
What a beautiful day!! It's been so chilly so early hear that I was surprised that the sports announcers said that it was 76 in Kansas City. I thought, "Holy cow! What's it like here!?!" Well, we're only 3 or so hours from Kansas City, yet it's 20 degrees cooler here. It was amazing how warm 54 degrees felt though!! It was amazing!

But...even though the weather was amazing, I didn't run well. I bought Dance Dance Revolution yesterday, and I did that yesterday and this morning, and well, it wore me out!!! It's so much fun! I only did 2 miles today, but it's 2 more miles then I've been doing lately!

I saw a "Turkey Trot" 5k on Thanksgiving Day that I'm going to try. I hope I can train enough between now and then to accomplish it!

I hope you're all having great weekends!

Lucky13
10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
I completed my 17-miler on Saturday morning! woohoo

I ran 9 miles of it outside in our neighborhood because it was such a nice morning (sunny and cold!!) and the remainder inside on my treadmill. I am still definitely sore!! But I am definitely much more confident that I will finish the marathon!

I have a half this weekend so i'm definitely looking forward to that

:)

Lucky13
10-31-2006, 08:06 AM
I got in 6 miles last night...my knee has not been acting too good lately...I am a little worried about it but I think it will be ok for the most part

This week shouldn't be too strenuous since I have my Half on Sunday.

:haphal: :haphal: :haphal:

:dracula: :dracula: :dracula:

AnneWonders
10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
I had an exceptionally cr@ppy run this morning, that I shortened up to 1.8 miles. I have a 20 minute rule for exercising that I put in place when I started losing my weight in 2002--if I don't feel like it, do it for 20 minutes and then if I still don't feel like it, I can quit. I've quit maybe 3 times, since usually whatever issues there are work themselves out. Not this morning, and I called the 20 minute rule. Not sure why, but I just felt awful this morning. Nothing seriously wrong, just no energy whatsoever. I guess it happens. Sigh.

Next run is 3 miles as part of my tri on Saturday. Here's hoping that doesn't stink as well.

Happy running!

Anne

SarahinBalance
10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey ladies,

I signed up for a half marathon in February. The most I've run so far is a 10K, and since then I've run 6 miles a couple of times (last time was a couple of weeks ago). I consistantly run 3-4 miles a couple of times a week with spinning and weight training thrown in.

Appreciate any advice you have to give.

Thanks,

Sarah

YP1
11-01-2006, 01:39 AM
You've got plenty of time to build up, just try to get into the habit of having one long run a week and extending that a bit each time. You don't need to make it all the way up to 13 miles before the race, I know people who have run all the way in a half after doing a longest run before the race of 9 miles, my longest run before my first half was a bit longer at 12 miles though. Keep on popping in here and let us know how you're doing.

I haven't run for ages, I've been feeling really rough and haven't been able to face exercise. Hopefully I'm feeling better today (I am at the moment, but I tend to get worse through the day), and I'll be able to run with running club this evening. I'm meant to be doing a 10 mile race at the weekend too, so I want to feel better for that.

I think I've decided on my next marathon! It's at the end of May, and it works really well with the rest of my plans so I think I'll probably enter that soon.

Lekker
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I haven't posted in a couple months...I had a break of several weeks from running because of holidays, but when I returned from them I joined back up again with a Learn to Run group. But now I've joined a 5k running group to finally push myself a little further...(previously I had tended to get comfortable with the amount I could run and didn't push myself beyond that). I've only done one week with the 5k group but so far I am enjoying it! We started at 4 sets of 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking. This week though, we bump it straight up to a couple sets of 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking. I'm pretty darn slow, but there are a few others at the back with me, so I'm not alone.

One side result of enjoying running with these groups outside is that I've discovered that I no longer enjoy running on a treadmill (when only a few months ago the treadmill was my comfort zone and I wouldn't even consider running outside!!)...unfortunately for me, the winter is coming (and it's so dark whenever I'm not at work) so I'm either going to have to learn how to run in the snow and ice or I'm going to have to become friends with the treadmill again. :)

Lucky13
11-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Welcome Sarah

Are you running the Cowtown Half? I ran that earlier this year and I loved the course - it was really cool running through the historic district of Fort Worth and it was pretty flat too :)

YP is right - you don't have to run the full distance in your training to be ready for it. I think the most I ran before my first half marathon was 10 miles. You have so much energy and adrenaline on race day that it's a lot easier than you think!

Depending on how my races go for the remainder of this year, I am planning on doing the Cowtown Half again.

Good luck!