Simply Filling/Core - Core Support Board for Week of October 1-7, 2006

Vickie
10-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm up early because four teenagers were walking down the middle of the street screaming this morning at 6:45. Our bedroom faces kind of a busy side street. Oh well, kids will be kids. I've got an easy day today and I'm kind of happy about that. More TV, a little laundry, and cooking dinner. Jim requested the Chicken Cacciatore again so that tells you how good it was. What will you all be doing on your Sunday. Kathy we know you'll be at work.

Kathy, my Mom was in the hospital for a week, I think but it was a long time ago. They sure don't mess around do they? I'm glad the Doctors are happy with her progress. If she's anything like my Mom she'll feel a million times better now that she's getting some oxygen to her body! Tell her that your friends wish her well.

Hey Melissa! My pups always hated the kennels too. I finally found one at the end for my previous Scottie before we moved here that was more like a hotel. Even that one didn't make him too happy.

Sandra, I think I had to take the medicine for either 20 or 30 days every day for it to work. I can't remember how long the course was but it took 2 full courses of the medicine for it to work. Once it did, though, it never came back. I'm thankful. I'm glad your treatment worked because it's not fun at all to be dizzy like that!

Curtis, :woo: Happy Birthday to you! I hope Sandra buys you lots of presents. :gift: She didn't tell us what kind of cake :hb: she was making for you but I'm sure it will be your favorite. Have a great day and many more birthdays! :balloons:

I'm off to surf a bit!

Katpo
10-01-2006, 11:13 AM
My dad had bypass surgery in '83 when Erin was just a few weeks old. Their heat had gone out in their house (which I think contributed to the problems) and it was right before Christmas; he was trying to wait until after Christmas and didn't say anything, but on Christmas Eve he went to the doctor who put him in the hospital straightaway. He had surgery the next week, was in ICU for another week, in the hospital for TWO weeks ... and recuperated at home for at least another month or so. They told my mom she could go back to work in three weeks and she's all excited about that. She's 75 and works fulltime ... probably not so much because she wants to but because she HAS to. My dad also works fulltime at 75. We are a family of non-sitter-arounders. :lol:

I went to two grocery stores early this morning, one for us and the other for breakroom snacks. Went home and put it all up, then got ready and came on to work. I should have brought more food but figured I could rely on what's in my overhead compartment. Uh, no ... I have tuna, cheerios, and popcorn. I guess I'll make a meal out of that but since I have no milk, I'll pass on the cheerios.

I plan to leave at 4 and will go home to make my soup, do laundry and get food lined up for this week's lunches. Hopefully I can get done by 8 when Desperate Housewives comes on. I really need to do a few minutes of resting before the 11-12 hour days start back up tomorrow.

ontarget
10-01-2006, 12:08 PM
good morning, chickies. today's curtis' birthday. last night he was talking about going to famous dave's for lunch. this morning he woke up talking about going to cracker barrel because it's lower in pts. i didn't have to say anything. i was hoping for cracker barrel. i'm proud of him for making a healthy choice.

vickie, i am to call the doctor wed to give her an update. i'll talk to her about the meclizine then. my primary care physician wrote me a prescription but i didn't fill it. curtis had some already on hand so that's what i took. i'll see if she wants me to take it. thanks for telling me about it. you're nicer than we are. curtis would have had the window open hollering at those teens. :lol:

thank you for the birthday wishes for curtis. i'll pass it on to him. it will make him feel good. he wanted chocolate covered almonds instead of cake, so i bought him some yesterday. his birthday will be pretty low key. we'll have lunch with his mom and then probably spend the evening up in the hills with nature. i was wishing he'd want a cake so i'd have an excuse to eat it. oh, well. he's in the kitchen now going through cabella's catalog. i think he'll pick out something from there. he says he doesn't want gifts but if he finds something he wants in the catalog, we'll order it.

kathy, we always watched desperate housewives till halfway through last week's episode. curtis lost his wife before me to lou gehrig's disease. it really bothers him to see folks in comas or on life supports. guess we'll have to mark that show off our list at least for now.

my weight was down today. i'm heading over to change my tracker. life is good. my goal is to lose 40 lbs before we go to texas. i am down 27 now.

Froufy
10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Congrats on the loss Sandra - you are doing great! And a very happy birthday to Curtis - hope he has a great day - and that you both enjoy your lunch out!

I'm up early because four teenagers were walking down the middle of the street screaming this morning at 6:45. Our bedroom faces kind of a busy side street. Oh well, kids will be kids. Are you sure they were teenagers? In my experience I rarely see teenagers awake before noon at my place - let alone walking outside and making noise :D Hope you can get a nap in today! How's the ankle??

Kathy - I think tuna/cheerios/popcorn casserole sounds like a great idea for lunch! YUMYUM. Glad to hear you Mother is doing so well! And at her age too - sounds like the surgery was a success! My mom was in ICU for severals days then in the hospital for at least another week!

How is Shaun's room cleanup coming along?

Melissa - glad you could drop by - hope you are Aaron are doing okay - check in when you can!

I am feeling gloomy today - to match the gray and rainy day out there? We had a fun day yesterday tho! Went to chinatown for lunch with dh and litte ds then to a movie (Open Season) with popcorn and drinks. Had a little nap when we got home, and headed over to Sherri's house to visit w/gf from Toronto. They had just finished dinner - and we had dessert there. I brought over my cd w/cruise pics - but sherri and her dh are kinda sick - coming down w/colds so we were like sanitizing our hands as we walked out the door ! (hope they didn't see us!)

Today I am preparing for Yom Kippur - we start our fast sundown tonight (approx 6:30 pm) and no food or water until sundown tomorrow night! I am defrosting a chicken now, and we still have LO roast beef - will make potatoes, green beans, salad, and will pick up something for dessert?

Later,

Frouf

septembersgoal
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
OK I PROMISE that I will be back tonight or tomorrow to catch up!! I really do love you guys!!

Real quick--Kathy, I'm glad your mom is doing so well.
Happy Birthday to Curtis! :hb:

blessedwithsarah
10-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Happy rainy Sunday everyone. Its very raw, rainy and dreary here. We didn't go to the flea market as planned since it was a wash out. :( Oh well. I think next weekend DH is doing a yardsale here.

We had a wonderful date night last night. Went to a new restaurant in town, ended up sitting at the bar rather than waiting an hour for a table. Had a great salad and a few glasses of wine. It was nice to have some time alone.

Sandra, another loss - congrats! Keep it up, you'll make your goal!

Jennifer and Vickie - the diet coke sloppy joes are great. DH loves them, I know he doesn't know whats in them. Definatly a good receipe - quick and very easy.

That's it for me today. DH and DD are napping - I still have to vacuum upstairs, but that can wait. Think I'll go make some tea and read my book. See you all later.

Zzann
10-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hello! I've not been here for a couple of days because we celebrated our anniversary and my birthday on two of them and then went to go see Jeff Daniels last night! I weighed in this morning and was HAPPY to see a weight loss of .5 lb., when I wasn't expecting anything but a gain or possibly a maintain number! It's not much, but every little ounce gone is GOOD for me!! Tomorrow I begin exercising, so I'm getting geared up for that! ;)

Tejas
10-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi All:

We have had anything but a quiet day. My godson, his wife and their toddler took us out to a brunch buffet. Doyle was in his element and I practiced restraint in the face of so much food. My choices were mostly smart ones and I merely nibbled at my godson's dessert. Yep, just a nibbles, not even half of anything. I admit it was difficult.

I've been good at not eating the chocolate the student gave me...at only 1/2 ounce of it.

I set a goal of losing 1/2 pound this weekend and so far, I've lost .2 pound. I KNOW it's silly to consider tenths of a pound on scales as having any validity so I think it's just a reminder.

It's very good that they get people out of hospitals quickly. They are major sources of infections and some of them are antibiotic resistant...that's one of the major reasons for decreasing the time of hospital stays.

HB to Curtis, Sandra!

Rhonda

Katpo
10-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I forgot to make a new thread this morning, so I took the last few from the other thread and merged them here. I hope nobody was too confused!

Happy birthday, Curtis! :balloons: I hope it's a great day! Cracker Barrel would be my choice any day of the week!

Rhonda, it sounds like you did very well at lunch! I'm sure it was nice to get together with everybody.

Enjoy the rain that you all are getting! We're in the high 90s still and it's quite sunny and hot. There's no rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future (but what else is new?).

One of Shaun's rooms looks really good. All I need to do is vacuum, take some boxes over to the storage unit (only a few blocks away) and wait for the new bedding that I ordered. I had gotten a new set from Amazon and don't like it, but since I got it in February I'm not sending it back. I should have opened it right away but I was waiting for Kate to leave, then Shaun took that room so I didn't bother to give him anything new. The NEW new stuff will be here Thursday.

The other room is practically done but for some odd reason he took the pictures off of the wall. Were they too girly? :lol: They're van Gogh sunflowers, which totally match everything from the paint to the dresser runner to the bedding. I guess all that matching was too much for him. So I need to rewash the sheets, make the bed, vacuum, PUT THE PICTURES ON THE WALL, and shut the door. Both will be empty until Christmas when Judd's bro/SIL, SIL/BIL, nieces and nephews come to town. The kids will stay with us for a night or two.

I'm home now and doing laundry. The kitchen is clean and I folded all of Erin's towels and clothes so that when she gets home from work at 11:00 tonight they'll be waiting for her. Now I just need to make sure I have clothes to wear this week, make some dinner, pack my lunch, and fall into bed. Hopefully before midnight, because I should be back to work by 7 if I'm going to get everything done this week.

Happy Sunday!

ontarget
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
frouf, sounds like you had fun yesterday. is the rock in that movie? i'm thinking he is. i'll bet your movie was better than ours. :lol: i guess you've already enjoyed your dinner. i'll be thinking of you. i am proud of you for being so true to your religion.

melissa, i miss my podna.

paula, your evening out sounds like a lot of fun--romantic, too! i'm glad you and dh had such a good time.

suzanne, sounds like you've been making good choices while having a lot of fun. happy anniversary and happy birthday! congratulations on losing those ounces.

rhonda, doyle and i are a lot alike. ask him if he likes osgood pies. that was one of my favs at holidays. i haven't had one in years. congratulations to you for making healthy choices. you are a determined woman for sure. i'm hoping to get a dress from ebay to wear to your wedding. the one i have coming now prob won't be it, though. i'll keep looking. the one i'm getting is the one i posted a photo of the other day. i want something nicer for your wedding. right now, i'm bidding on some good looking shoes. i am addicted already, aren't i?

kathy, i have to admit i was confused at first. i thought i'd posted in the old thread. :lol: i'm excited you're getting to redecorate. i know that's fun.

thank you, everyone for the birthday wishes for curtis. he's having a good day. we didn't go into the hills but he's gone now to the outdoor range to plink at targets while i stay home and recoop from my walmart adventure. (i've really been writing bills and balancing the checkbook.)

septembersgoal
10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi gals! I still haven't caught up from the old thread but at least I got to read everything from this week's. :lol: I guess that's not too hard to do, huh?
I've got to tell you all this Pampered Chef thing is taking off like crazy. I just closed a huge catalog show tonight which already puts me 1/2 way to my goal for October. It's going much better than I anticipated!
Oh and Kathy you will be interested in this...starting tomorrow you can purchase discontinued items at a discount through my website. That's going to be neat!
Thanks to everyone for their well-wishes for Aaron and I during the funeral. It went really well and it was a relief for the family. She had been very sick for awhile, to the point of dementia, and it was just so sad to see her that way. So while she will be missed we have the blessing of believing that she is in a better place with no pain. Thanks everyone. :hug:

Sandra, sounds like you are busy as ever. I'm here podner! I'm trying to get back on the wagon, I promise. I'm struggling alongside. :bravo: on another pound gone!!

Kathy, you are such a decorating fiend. Why don't you come do my house? ;) It's amazing to me how much you get done on any given day.

Vickie, sorry you didn't get to sleep in this morning. I had a burrito bol for dinner and thought of you. Of course I had those yummy chips with mine. :nono: Murphy hated the kennel. I think we should have socialized him looooong before now. Next time we will make plans to just leave him at home and have a friend come and walk him.

Frouf, happy Yom Kippur I guess! Once again, I'm uneducated. But I think fasting is a really beautiful thing.

Paula, I was impressed that you had a salad on your date night. Whenever we go out to a nice place I feel the need to splurge. So good job!

Suzanne, it sounds like you have been one busy lady. But it also sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with the exercise.

Well I better run...I'm supposed to be watching a movie with DH and I still have PC things to do!

septembersgoal
10-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah, my birthday! Thursday night we went to my mom's house for dinner. My parents, grandmother, and Aaron's parents came. It was a really nice time with lots of great food. I took tomorrow off work too, so we'll probably go to a movie or something like that, too. Nothing too exciting, but it was nice despite all of the craziness. Thanks for all of the bday wishes!

ontarget
10-01-2006, 10:41 PM
podna!!! it's great to see you back. i'll be here to read what movie you see tomorrow. have some fun, girl.

septembersgoal
10-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Well I'll do my best! ;)

ontarget
10-01-2006, 11:12 PM
:;)

Zzann
10-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Melissa,

Happy belated birthday from another September birthday girl! :hb:

septembersgoal
10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Well Happy Belated Birthday to you, too!! :D

Katpo
10-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Good morning! Taking a little break from work to catch up with last night's reading. I left home at 6:15 but the traffic was horrible! Still got here by 7 though so at least that's good.

Melissa, welcome back! I'm glad the PS enterprise is taking off so well!

Okay, I'd better get back to work...

Vickie
10-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm grumpy as all get out so I'm not going to be around much today. I'm NOT weighing in with a half ton of bloat even though it will be done by next week. I'm stressed to the max but I'm eating properly.

Today I hope to find out what's up with my ankle and also the results of Cassie's tests. In the meantime, I'm going to have some oatmeal for breakfast to try to shake things up. I'm also going to try to drinks some extra water.

I hope you all feeling a lot my chipper than I!

blessedwithsarah
10-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Vickie, sorry you are down today. I hope things go well at the DR and that there is nothing serious with your ankle. When I posted before I meant to say splint....

Melissa and Suzanne - happy belated birthdays to you both.

Well, my scale is no longer my friend. I really hate him and may just toss him away! My eating was pretty good all weekend, I wasn't 100%, but about 90%. The scale was way up this morning. I'm thinking it may need a new battery??? Its been doing some odd things when no one is on it. Either that or I have a ghost in my house that seems to be haunting my bathroom scale.

WI is Wednesday and I'm already debating about skipping it. After being up last week my moral will be gone if I'm up again. I can't stay for the meeting, I have another meeting at that time. Then next week I'm off on Wednesday and will miss that as well. Not sure what to do now, I guess its a good thing I didn't have to pay this time. I'm just feeling discouraged.

Darn scale. I have my food planned out for today and I've already had 2 large glasses of water (my glass on my desk in 32 ounces!). I'll be living the bathroom today.

Oh well, thanks for listening. I have meetings straight through until 3:00. I'll stop back later today.

septembersgoal
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow, busy, busy!

Vickie, I'm sorry that your day is off to such a stressful start. I'm sure the stress of awaiting test results isn't helping. :hug:

Kathy, and you're so busy! I hope that you have a great day.

Paula, I'm sorry to hear that the scale is being mean to you. Did you eat something salty yesterday that would cause bloat? Just a thought. I'm sure the water will help a ton!

As for me I'm working on PC stuff while DH is gone to a meeting. Next up...cleaning this house! Being gone most of the weekend you would think it would be clean, but it's made it much much worse. Then we'll probably go a movie or something like that.
I hope everyone's day starts going better!! :sunny:

septembersgoal
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Hmmm...since I'm home today, I should make a big pot of something core to eat on all week. Any suggestions? :chin:

Vickie
10-02-2006, 12:00 PM
My Meat Sauce or Smothered Barley Chicken.

ontarget
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
hi, everyone. i'm leaving for physical therapy in a few minutes. i'll go to w a after lunch. i've been busy vacuuming and watching bidding on ebay. am i hooked or what?

kathy, i'm missing you here. i hope you can get here more soon.

vickie, i'm sorry you're down today. let us know what you find out from the doctor about your ankle. also, let us know about cassie. that bloat will go away. just keep on keepin on.

paula, i didn't go to ww the last 2 weeks and was in a panic about it. i highly recommend you go this week.

melissa, i suggest potato soup. i made some last week and am eating it with polenta cakes. it's delish!!

omg!!! it's 10:30. i have to go. p t is at 10:45!!

Tejas
10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Good afternoon everyone:

I did it. I lost that 1/2 pound over the weekend, even with yesterday's tempting brunch :carrot: :cb:

I think I'm going to make this a little personal challenge. I'll work toward 1/2 pound every other day. My version of "one day at a time"!

I've just heard the news on CNN about the shooting in Pennsylvania. It so sad that innocent children become the targets of minds sick with violence.

I hope everyone is having a "core" day.

Rhonda

p.a.
10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Afternoon chicks,
It feels more like summer here today. I can handle this.
Rhonda, what shooting? I guess Ill have to turn the tv on..theres been so muhc of it in the news the last couple of weeks.
Vickie, grumpy or stressed??
Melissa I vote for the potatoe soup., I made some last week and it was so good and filling. I added some cheese to it as well.

Volleyball starts tomorrow night,,and I have volunteered to work at a thrift store at our church one night a week, plus I ordered a swedish weaving kit to make a christmas present for me dd..so hopefully all of these will keep me out of the kitchen at night...Dh and I are heading out of town for the night on wednesday , while I am in the city Im picking up some endamame,,,those little beans are good!!! Very hard to find around here though.
See you when I get back..
ttyl

Vickie
10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
My ankle isn't broken. Doc says no aerobics for next couple of weeks and elevate it as much as possible. If still not right then he's referring me to an orthopedic foot/ankles specialist.

Grumpy is now going back to making homemade applesauce.

Froufy
10-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Good afternoon Grumpy - glad the ankle is NOT broken and that you have some medical advice now (please no talk of any kind of food items until after 7:30 pm tonight - I am swooning at the thought of applesauce right now!).

Melissa - glad the PC stuff is taking off - good for you! what movie are you planning to see?

Kathy - sounds like the 'redecorating' is going fairly well - and I'm sure your guest rooms will be lovely once they're done!

Sandra - hope the PT went well - and that Curtis has a great birthday celebration. Are you still sleeping in the recliner? or can youu lay flat now?

Congrats Rhonda on reaching your 'mini'goal' - very well done - you are doing great!

I am back from synagogue now (10:30-1:30) and am very very cranky and hungry and big headache! I agree that fasting is a very spiritual endeavour but boy am I feeling it now. I may go back to synagogue later this evening before sundown cuz I find it easier to fast when I'm there altho dd needs a ride to dance class for 7 pm so not sure how that will work (official fast end is 7;24 pm). Ds's are muttering something about ordering in pizza? I may succumb and take a tylenol or something (with a tiny bit of water).

I shall now try and kill 5.5 hours either on the computer, reading or maybe napping (altho I know I will wake up with a vicious headache and that is turning me off from resting!).

Later chickies!

Frouf

septembersgoal
10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Frouf I didn't realize that you couldn't even drink anything. I don't know if I could go without water!

Patti, sounds like you are going to be very busy!!

Vickie, I'm so glad that your ankle isn't broken. :hug:

How do you all make your potato soup? I might just do the old stand-by one with the chicken broth and frozen potatos. It's pretty darn good.
I've been working on pc stuff all day and still am. I enjoy doing these kind of things. I even created a monthly newsletter and posted it on the web for my customers.
I'll talk to you all later!

Katpo
10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Melissa, I make potato soup by cutting up potatoes really teeny tiny, and boiling them in water with a can of broth in it (doesn't take long when they're so small). Then I add milk and cook it on very low. It'll thicken up as it cooks down a bit. You can take some of the potatoes out and mash them, then put them back in with the chunks. That'll also make it thicker.

And I didn't realize that liquids were a no-no either! Our poor Frouf -- I so admire your dedication to your religion. Poo-poo on Mr. Frouf for not getting onboard with it, and also for giving you a hard time each year.

I'm finally home and have cleaned up the kitchen. I don't know what to cook for dinner because I originally had decided on the tilapia and some broccoli, but now I'm pooped. Maybe Judd will fix it when he gets home; otherwise, he'll have a Lean Cuisine and I'll have nothing.

BBL!

Froufy
10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh here I am - feeling pretty yucky - yes I have eaten (2 slices of pizza, 1 bagel, 1 slice marble cake, water), but my head still aches so!..and I just feel tired and icky. I may have to take even more tylenol and hopefully I will be okay by morning! Having a heck of a time getting little ds to bed tho which isn't helping and almost time to go pick dd up from dance class!

Yup no food or water (which is probably what is causing the headaches) for about 26 hours - I can sure tell you that you do appreciate what you have once you experience true hunger and thirst!, and of course you have a greater compassion for those that do without every day!

This headache reminds of the type one gets when detoxing from sugar - wicked bad and very painful - I think I shall drug myself once again!

Frouf

ontarget
10-03-2006, 12:51 AM
howdy, chickies. we're home from the woods and have already hot tubbed. life is good.

rhonda, congratulations on losing that half pound. i like your plan for half every 2 days. that sounds like a good plan. i'm bidding on a dress now to wear to your wedding. (i may have already told you.) the bidding ends tomorrow.

that is sad about the shooting in pennsylvania. lots of crazies in this world, aren't there?

have a good trip, patti.

vickie, i'm glad your ankle's not broken.

frouf, i just reclined one night. man was that a long night! i missed pt today. i got there at 10:45 and found out it was at 10:00. i think it's very very impressive that you did the fasting.

melissa, sounds like you got a lot done today. did you make the tater soup? you can also put some of the potato soup mixture in the blender.

kathy, you sound tired. i hope you get some rest soon. worrying about your mom, driving to and from tyler, and working is a lot for anyone to do. try to get some rest if you can.

ontarget
10-03-2006, 07:21 AM
well, here i am on last yesterday and first today.

good morning, everyone. i just reread what i typed last night. i apologize for the way it reads. i knew i was rushing around but didn't realize my post was showing it so strongly.

not much going on around here. i'm just wide awake too early and am trying to be quiet so i won't wake curtis. i have pt at high noon today. i think they scheduled me at that time so there'd be no way for me to get confused. they tried to call me yesterday to tell me i was missing my appointment, but i was online here keeping the phone line busy.

i'm still op. i haven't weighed yet but will after curtis gets up. i am back into the habit of daily weighings. i know that's not good, but i can't help it.

guess i'll go check what's happening on ebay. i am about through getting clothes but will look into "hello kitty" and "dora" goodies for the grands.

have a great day, everyone. i'll be back later.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Good morning, early bird! You win the prize for back-to-back posts! ;)

I've bought my clothes from ebay for several years and have gotten some of my very favorites from there. This week it's a denim skirt ... very cute!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300031587570

This one ends in about 30 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290033889477

This one is cute but if I don't get it, I won't cry. It might be a little too wacky, even for me. But I do like toile!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160035438962

I came in to work and immediately was hit with problems. Hopefully after this week it'll lighten up a bit.

Vickie, what a relief that there's no break. Hopefully it'll start to feel better soon.

Back to the grind. Mama Sandra, stop worrying about me so much! :hug:

Vickie
10-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Good Morning Chicks! We had awful, awful storms here last night. Some people still have power outages. We stayed high and dry and are very lucky. Of course, we stayed up until 12:30 because the dog was freaked and had to pee once the storms ended. Needless to say, we slept late this morning.

I'm still grumpy and stressed and my scale remains high. I'm in perpetual PMS and I HATE it. I'm very relieved about my ankle but two more weeks of RICE and no aerobics is not going to help my weight loss. I need to cut my intake back in a BIG way.

I have a lunch appointment and a hair appointment today. I hope you all are doing well.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Vickie, speaking as a person who hasn't been able to exercise for 5 months, I know what you're talking about. It IS possible to still lose without it, but I have had to restrict my intake to create the calorie deficit that's necessary to have a loss (or even maintain). If I hadn't, I'm sure I would have had a gain.

I saw your storms on the news last night and they looked quite bad. We're still in the high 90s and would welcome some rain, ANY rain ... I'd even take a power outage and flood. The power outage would be especially welcome right now because it would shut down this frappin' computer at work and maybe I'd be able to take a breather. The problems are coming at us faster than we can handle them. I hope things settle down with your weather soon.

Happy lunch and hair!

Tejas
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Speaking of calorie deficits...what is the lowest calorie daily intake that some of you have tried. I can remember being told that an average size woman could do all right for a limited time on 900 calories a day...essentially starvation level I believe. WW says don't go below 20 points, which would be 100-1200, if I understand it correctly.

I understand that at some point your body holds onto the fat and you won't lose. But, I'm never sure what that point is. AND, NO I'm not going down to 900; I'm just curious what others have experienced.

Rhonda

Tejas
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
of course, I meant 1000-1200....

Katpo
10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
My regular WW points level would be 20, so if I wanted to reduce it further, it would be under 1000 calories. On weeks where I do a high-low thing, there are days where it's 800 and days where it's 1200 or more. I don't totally buy into the whole starvation theory anyway; you'd have to do it for a very long period of time before your body started really hanging on for dear life.

Check out this post:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85036&highlight=%22starvation+theory%22

Of particular interest: restriction with junk foods cannot compare to calorie restriction with nutritious foods.

ontarget
10-03-2006, 01:16 PM
kathy, those skirts are cute. did you win today? i just got outbid on a cute top. i don't know if i'll bid again or not.

vickie, maybe your appointments will help you feel better. i hope so. sounds like "the change" is here, doesn't it?

rhonda, i know i told you that i thought that 20 pts should be the minimum, but i have to confess that some days now i'm eating 18. i ate 18 yesterday and woke up starved this am and had a 10 pt breakfast, so i'm thinking 20 is probably a good minimum. (am i talking in circles here?) i meant to congratulate you for getting back into the 180's. you're on your way!

ontarget
10-03-2006, 01:17 PM
that's interesting info, kathy. thanks for posting. i can't help but worry about all of you. that's my job. :lol:

ontarget
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
here's the top. i just bid on it again. i like it but won't shed any tears if i don't get it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260036243572&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/260036243572_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfromZR2QQfviZ1

Katpo
10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Sandra. I DID get that skirt this morning -- but forgot to go back and check, so I did it just now.

WARNING: OPINION AHEAD -- and don't forget ... it's only my opinion! There's no need for lurkers to come out of the woodwork and argue with me, because I'm entitled to an opinion. Harrrump!

I think everyone sometimes forgets that it is actually possible to gain (or definitely to not lose) on healthy food. Without keeping up with how much is going in vs. how much is being burned, there's no point in doing it. Diets (such as Core, and this will probably be the unpopular part of my opinion, but here goes ...) that say "eat til satisfied" are really leaving the door open for abuse. Moderation is too subjective to just throw out there with no particular guidelines. Plus, overweight people usually don't know what moderation is, or we wouldn't have become overweight in the first place, right? WW saw that they were losing a big part of their market to South Beach and diets like that, and they had to jump on the "no counting" bandwagon as well. I know there are those who dearly love SB or SugarBusters or Atkins or whatever, and that's fine! I've had success on all three before. As we all know, there are always exceptions, but I think the percentage of people who regain their weight after a few years is pretty high. There is a valid reason why WW Flex (or calorie counting) has had the highest success rate. It makes you accountable for the amount of food you eat. The points formula, which takes into account the fact that if you eat higher fiber, you get to have more of it (because it lowers the points value) is a smart one.

Stepping down off of the :soap: now.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Just so you know, this isn't directed to anyone in particular. I work with a bunch of dieters too and this is what I tell them (when asked, of course). Every day, someone asks me how I lost my weight and I ALWAYS tell them to journal. Journal, journal, JOURNAL. You can't possibly remember every little thing that goes in your mouth, and it adds up more than we realize! I'm guilty of it too, but one thing I do, even if it's bad food and I shouldn't have had it, is that I write it down.

Froufy
10-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Congrats on winning the skirt Kathy - I think they both are super cute! And I agree w/your opinion - but the bottom line is always more calories out than in - and you will lost weight - no matter what program you follow - of course the healthier the better - and you obviously need to 'change' your habits or you'll be right back where you started from! (don't we all know it!).

Sandra - I LOVE THAT TOP - it is so funky and cool looking - you must definitely get it - I think it would look fabulous on you! Good luck.

Vickie - sorry about all that bad weather keeping you up! How's Cassie doing by the way? And how does the ankle feel?

Rhonda - that 900 calorie reminds me of the Dr. Bernstein diet - yes you obviously lose weight - how could you not? But many people on that diet just don't look good and end up having further medical problems later on!

I am still suffering a bit today - not sure why I am just not bouncing back? Seem to have a background headache - but so far I have not taken anything but I might cave in soon - I just took so many painkillers yesterday I don't feel good about taking more!

Good news is I am the proud owner of 2 FLOOR ELTON JOHN TICKETS!!! Yes I got the presale code (tickets officially go on sale oct 5) and was able to get 2 tickets for dh and I (don't even ask how much they cost!!!). The tickets we have are in row 17, middle section, which are good seats, however I am still going to try for the section to the left - cuz I know Elton John ALWAYS has his piano stage left and I always like to be closer to that side so I can see him better and maybe his fingers on the keys? (Altho nowadays the whole show is always on big video screens so you can pretty much see everything!).

And I don't think I am going to Toronto this weekend - I am now feeling super guilty about the cost - esp since buying the above tickets!!! So time to get the turkey ready for a thanksgiving dinner? Maybe will invite dh's mom and his nieces over saturday night?

Okay time for some advil I think!

Frouf

Katpo
10-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Congrats on the tickets!

septembersgoal
10-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Sneaking in to say HI! :wave:

Vickie
10-03-2006, 05:09 PM
So I guess I need to stop whining and eat less, huh?

p.a.
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
how cool is that Frouf,.,,,,Elton John!!!! love him

ontarget
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
hey, girls. i am doing great after a fast start on eating at breakfast. i think i woke hungry cuz i ate so little yesterday and did water aerobics.

my doctor told me (last time i was in for weightloss 2 weeks ago) that he's really really happy that i'm losing slowly. he said that's why my blood tests came back sooooo good. (just thought i'd throw this in.)

kathy, congrats on getting the skirt.

frouf, i'm still in the lead for that top. i'm also in the lead for the rockabilly black sequined dress. what the heck is rockabilly? i searched and couldn't find out.

wow!!! congratulations to you on those tickets. if dh doesn't want to go, give me a call. :lol:

hi there, melissa and vickie. how are your days going?

curtis needs the phone. i'll be back later.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Sandra, congratulations on the numbers! I think that's one of the biggest benefits of weight loss ... I know of several people who have been able to discontinue diabetes medicine, blood pressure and cholesterol medicine, and arthritis and pain medicine. When you think of how much extra weight we were carrying, it's not surprising that our knees, feet, legs, hips and back hurt!

Tejas
10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
ELTON JOHN! I'm sooooo jealous.

The 900 calorie diet is a very old idea in bariactric medicine. So is high protein/low carb. One of my family members is an obesity researcher and he has assured me that there is not much new under the sun in this adventure.

The CR information is interesting. I remember when the rat studies were published. My colleagues and I had lots of discussions about them and one of them continues to eat much below his recommended intake and is doing very well.

I also believe that it takes a lonnnggg time for the body to start consuming its own muscle and since I don't plan to reduce my calories that much for too long a time, I'm not researching this one too carefully.

And, I agree 1000% that most people who eat too much have almost no idea what "full" means, so some of the Core suggestions should be taken with a "grain of salt." If I ate until I was satisfied, whew, I hate to think what would happen!!!

Katpo
10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Rhonda, I agree! I hardly know what satisfied is anymore. And to some, it could mean "stuffed until I can barely breathe."

Well, I'm finally home from work. I stopped by the corner bar and got a big salad to go, then came home and divided it into two containers. I had planned to eat one of them tonight, but I think I won't. I'm putting a HUGE note on my steering wheel saying DON'T FORGET YOUR LUNCH! :lol:

I received another ebay order of those clear boxes for my VistaPrint cards, and so I just finished putting them in. I am still ordering, as their specials are still running. I'm afraid everyone I know is getting stationery for Christmas!!

We're watching Grey's Anatomy from last week -- we missed it due to picking out that campsite. Tomorrow night Judd has something else lined up to watch, and then there's another episode on Thursday, so we have to do it now.

I'll be back in a bit.

Vickie
10-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I know the difference between satisfied and full.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm sure you do; I know many who don't though. I work with 99% of them! :lol:

My favorite is the one who "does" Atkins ... he loves to tell of cooking a pound of bacon at breakfast and eating it all, then saving the grease and cooking cabbage and brats in it for dinner. And lunch is a pound or so of summer sausage and cheddar cheese. Not a vegetable in sight -- and he wonders why he gains. He never bothered to read the book and do it right.

Katpo
10-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey, I forgot to tell you guys that I saw a wreck on the freeway this morning. There was a car following very closely behind me, and then all of a sudden they swooped around me. At that very second, I heard a huge THUD and for a minute, I wondered if they had hit me! When I realized that I hadn't felt anything, and then heard another THUD, I looked in my side mirror and the cars two lanes over had smashed into each other. It freaked me out.

Lunch is made and I'm done with my chores for the night. I'm ready for bed but will probably wait until 11.

See you in the morning!

aghiowa
10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Morning all! Vickie, I have to agree that I can also tell the difference between satisfied and full. Now, whether I listen to that difference all the time is another story!

I go in for allergy testing this morning. They say it'll take 3 hours etc etc. I'm expecting it will be an interesting morning. :)

I can hear my kids stirring, and I need to jump in the shower. Later ladies!

Angela

Katpo
10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
:lol: Very true, Angela! I think I'm the same way -- I know exactly what I should be doing. Doing it is a different thing altogether.

No incidents on the way to work this morning so that's good. I've made my list of things to do for the day and it actually doesn't look so bad. Most of it is stuff for after work, and since I have to be here til 6:15, I hope they're still open. I have to get my oil changed because I looked up at the sticker this morning and saw that I'm a few hundred miles overdue. I think the two trips to Tyler threw me off. No big deal, I'm sure.

I managed to remember my lunch today so I'm happy about that.

Okay, they're lining up to ask questions. I guess I'd better scoot...

Froufy
10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Morning chickies,

I like Angela - know when I'm satisfied but sometimes eat more than I should. I find it particularly hard at lunchtime - I obviously pack my lunch the night before or morning - and 'guess' how much I should eat - then sometimes at lunch I feel like I have not eaten enuf - but sometimes I know I am full but continue cuz I feel like I should finish what I brought! I should just learn to chuck it but I so hate wasting food!

Kathy - so glad you were not involved in any car accidents. The other day I was inching my way to the main highway - car in front of me decided to 'let someone in' and while I had enuf space to stop the lady behind me - who was like in my trunk didn't - and tapped my bumper! I was so P.Od! Got out of my car to check (yes stopped traffic on a busy one lane street) - of course no damage but I gave her the evil eye - she did apologize - like that's going to help! Back off of the Froufie van I say!!!!

Angela - good luck w/the allergy testing - must be a lot of tests if it's going to take 3 hours? Let us know what you find out!

And I have TWO MORE ELTON JOHN TICKETS for those that want to join me :D Finally found some in section C (altho only row 20?) which is closer to the side w/Elton and his PIANO! So I got those as well - I know I will be able to sell the extra tickets and the concert will most definitely sell out!

Sandra - did you get the top? When does the auction end? And I definitely want to see this rockabilly dress!

So today is the BIG DAY - I have packed my runners, gym capris, t-shirt and the PLAN is to go to the gym and sign up for a 3 month membership! I am not really in the mood to exercise but I sure have to do something as the weight is creeping up again - I am not being diligent with my eating and I am hoping that the exercise will help me get back on track!

I also have my ladies' group meeting tonight which I really forgot about (luckily put it in my calendar at work!) - so will have to get home, shower, change eat and head out for 8 pm - busy froufie!

Is it lunchtime yet? :D:D

Frouf

mama_penguino
10-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Happy birthday, Melissa!!

Katpo
10-04-2006, 11:57 AM
So I guess I need to stop whining and eat less, huh?
I just now saw this while scrolling up to search for something else.

Vickie, you are NOT a whiner! Don't ever think that! We've all got our little complaints and annoyances ... and I know how much you enjoy the treadmill and the pool (even though the darn thing hurt your ankle) and miss doing it. I also know how totally irritating it is to want to do some exercise and not be able to because of pain. Exercise has been a key factor in your weight loss. You'll get back to it soon, I hope, and then you'll start seeing results. You CAN'T get discouraged -- you're our best cheerleader!

:grouphug:

blessedwithsarah
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. Kathy, I'm glad to hear you weren't involved in any wrecks. How scary though...

I realized yesterday that the battery in my bathroom scale was close to dead -- I think that may have been the reason for some big swings on the scale. I got a new 3V battery for it yesterday -- WARNING, there are different sized for 3V batteries. I didn't realize that until I brought the first one home and it was too big. Luckily I didn't destroy the package and was able to exchange it.

So, this morning, my am naked wi was 178.5! WOO HOO, I'm happy with that since the evil scale ( or the possessed battery) had been showing over 180 for the past week. I decided to WI before my noon meeting - waited until 12:05 and the leader hadn't showed. Not sure what happened to her. I'm a bit disapointed since I would be down from last week and I won't be in for wi next wee (I'm taking Wed and Thurs for vacation days). So, my next wi will be 10/18. I could stop in with dd next week to wi, i'll have to see what our plans end up being - but its an option.

Angela - how were the allergy tests? My neice had to go through that, it wasn't fun but it was good to finally know what bothers her and how best to treat the allergies and her asthma.

Frouf - bravo to you for getting through your fast. Sorry to hear about DH not being so supportive. Its so important for you to follow your beliefs and to share those beliefs with your kids. On that thought, we do need to start going back to church regularly. :o Oh, great job with the tickets - I love Elton! We have Circus tickets -- that's where our lives are now, its all about a 3 year old :D

Vickie - how is your ankel feeling? I hope its on the mend.

Gotta run, be back later.

blessedwithsarah
10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Forgot to mention my NSV last night -- Tuesday nights are really hard for me. DH has a carving class and isn't home until 9:30. DD is in bed at 8 and I find myself grazing for an hour. Well, last night I had a big cup of tea with dd. After she went to bed I had some apple cake (core). I started back into the kitchen. Guess what I ended up eating -- a bowl of core coleslaw made from broccoli slaw mix. I did eat the whole bowl and it was great. I know I shouldn't have eaten it - I wasn't hungry.

I think eating that was a good thing for me, since I easily could have grabbed a brownie or a box of cheeze its!

Just wanted to share.

aghiowa
10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi all! I'm back with my arms full of tiny little red holes/bumps. :) The testing went fine - it was much quicker than they said it would be. I guess they just give a "worst-case" estimate.

Turns out I'm allergic to ragweed, some trees, and mostly, one certain kind of mold that lives basically everywhere. I am NOT allergic to cats (yay!) so my kids can stop worrying that the cats will have to go. :D They're deciding on whether I should do medication or allergy shots...I'll find out in a few days. Meanwhile, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I guess getting a bunch of allergens injected under your skin tends to increase your allergy symptoms...go figure. :lol: I'll be fine though, and am happy to have that over with.

I'm planning on doing absolutely nothing tonight except for folding a mountain of laundry and watching TV.

Later ladies!
Angela

Froufy
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Angela - now don't drink anything or the water will start spurting out of all of those holes in your arms! :D:D

I too am allergic to ragweed, some trees, grases, molds, dust, and various critters. I was subjected to allergy shots from the age of 7 to about 18 (when I finally said enuf was enuf). To be very honest I did not feel they were helping me much but it's hard to say how much one would have suffered without them? I can say that the allergy medications out now are WAY BETTER than those of years gone by - at least you can take them without falling asleep. As a child I remember going thru ragweed months like a zombie - could barely function, but had to take them to breathe! Not fun.

Paula - congrats on your NSV - I don't think anyone ever got fat eating broccoli slaw! Good for you! And congrats on the new battery and new number on your scale!

Time for my pre-gym snack now!

Frouf

ontarget
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
frouf, the blouse bidding ends in about 6 hours. i missed out on the rockabilly dress.

vickie, how's your day? i was thinking of you. did you get your recliner fixed? mine is starting to squeak.

paula, congratulations on your friendly scales.

angela, i had those tests, too. i am allergic to cats, but i still had cats till i met curtis. his allergies are worse than mine. i miss having a cat now.

well, i can tell i typed fast here again. i apologize. i just have a few minutes to be online. we've been gone most of the day and are leaving again in a few minutes.

have a great day, all.

Katpo
10-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Vickie, I have a question. Do you think there would be a Trader Joe's near a train stop? I think on Saturday or Sunday I will try to go to one if possible. I'd like to look around.

Tejas
10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I did it! :cheer: Another half pound. This might work. I've got such a short attention span and memory these days that I just might manage thinking about it all in 1/2 pound segments.

More Elton John tickets! You have it made now. I wish I were in Ottawa; I'd be right there.

I've enjoyed the ebay talk. I have not once, not even once, been to ebay. Guess I better get with the groove.

We have had lots of rain :rain: It must be the same storm system that came through the midwest but I haven't checked the weather maps. The poor doggies got soaked on their walks.

I hope everyone has a good evening. I'm tired from work and from Pilates class today. That is a killer exercise program.

Katpo
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Rhonda, you know you're the last ebay holdout in the known universe, don't you? :lol: You should really go! Anytime I want to buy something, I look there first. I hate shopping at stores, and can wear a size 8 in anything so I know there's no need in trying it on ... so if I want jeans, I do a search on "jeans 8 NWT" and just pick which one I want. NWT means new with tags, by the way. I have gotten some really good, GOOD stuff in the past 7 years that I've been buying and selling.

Dinner is smelling really good. I'm making that tortilla-crusted tilapia, some steamed broccoli, and tomato slices topped with FF feta cheese, purple onion, and balsamic vinegar, then broiled.

I hope everybody's having a good week. It seems as though we have slowed down so much here. I wonder why?

septembersgoal
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi! I'm just dropping in to say that all is well but I'm super busy with pampered chef stuff tonight. I had to work late and now I have to do some paperwork, etc to get ready for my show on Friday night. Tomorrow I'll have to go to the grocery so I don't want to leave it for then, plus DH is still at church so I have a little while to get stuff done.
I got my bonus kit that I earned in the mail today. So exciting!
I hope that you are all well. :hug: to you all!!

Katpo
10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Melissa, I can't tell you how glad I am that the Pampered Chef is going so well! You seem to enjoy it very much and I hope that it could turn into a very good business for you.

On a sadder note, Judd's aunt and uncle who have cancer aren't doing all that well. The aunt's kidneys are failing and she's been placed on dialysis. These two aren't married ... the aunt is my FIL's brother's wife, and the uncle is the husband of FIL's sister, who passed away 20 years ago. They have, of course, still stayed in contact with him because of the children. Also, he never remarried after his wife (FIL's sister) died. I know it's confusing.

Judd thinks we should come and visit soon. The aunt is in Winchester, the uncle is staying with his daughter in Cincinnati. Judd's grandma has a house in Eubank (Pulaski County) and his parents have a farm outside of Liberty (Casey County). I promise to let you know if, for some reason, we head up there in the near future. Surely you can squeeze in a lunch or dinner. I am hoping for the last weekend in October, but of course that's subject to change.

Froufy
10-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Too bad about the rockabilly dress Sandra (gosh that sounds so odd :D) - so did you get the top?

Melissa - you are doing so well w/your new business! So what are you making on Friday?

Angela - how are you feeling? Hope you took an antihistamine after the testing was over?

Kathy - sorry to hear about your relatives - it is so sad to watch people get sick - I think it's a good idea to visit!

Now Rhonda you must go visit ebay and find something you love and bid on it. Dh wanted to order some 'antenna' books for his project - goes on amazon and finds them - hardcover text books (always very expensive) - asks about buying them! I kinda freak out when he tells me the 2 books will cost around $350!

I shall check ebay I say - he is skeptical of course. Within minutes I have located both books at a much cheaper cost - we have ordered the $140 book for $90 and the $200 book is available (in softcover but identical) for around $30 plus shipping!!! (waiting to confirm shipping costs to Canada!). Dh is now mildly impressed - still a bit nervous tho - I know once books arrive he will be convinced (Happy birthday I said to him by the way! - his birthday is Nov 29th!).

DRUMROLL PLEASE - Yes I signed up at the gym - 3 whole months brings me to Jan 4th! I really did not want to go - but made my car drive there! Saw a couple of familiar faces - told them all about my cruise - and was perturbed to find all the equipment had been moved around - so have to get used to a new configuration - guess it gets boring for the regulars? Went to grocery after that to pick up more veggies/fruit and a rotisserie chicken for dinner.

Proud to say that at my meeting tonight when faced w/chocolates, nuts, cake, cookies, I stuck w/some veggies and dip and then had a cup of earl grey tea as I socialized with my lady friends. I almost didn't go cuz by the time I got home from gym and ate it was 7:30 and meeting starts at 8 - but I whizzed out the door (only a 5 minute drive) and made it there. I really find that the socialization helps keep me sane and I must make a supreme effort to go the meetings (every 3 weeks!).

Now I must go to bed cuz have to get up at 5:20 am to drive dd to school at 5:30 cuz she is going on a field trip and bus leaves her school at 6 am! Bought her some 'goodies' for the trip (back midnight friday night - going to Stratford to see plays!) - all her favorites (nature valley bars, cheese popcorn, some sour candy things, chocolate chip cookies) and $80 for food money! (which of course she will whine about cuz it's not enuf!).

Hope I can get some more sleep once I get back home? (might just drive her in my jammies!). May go to the gym after work tomorrow! Trying to focus on my dr appt on the 10th when I'm sure the dr will weigh me - I weighed about 209 at the time and I am few lbs over that now - my work is cut out for me (note to self: hold back on turkey, stuffing, etc this weekend!)

Frouf

Katpo
10-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I hope she has a great time! Field trips were always the most fun thing about school.

And congrats on the gym! After working all day, it's hard to add another 30-45-60 minutes to the schedule but it feels good to have gone when all is said and done. Hopefully you can get a few more winks after taking her to the school tomorrow morning.

Lunch is packed up but I didn't decide on the clothes for tomorrow. It's still really hot (high 90s) and so we can't do long sleeves yet. I'll certainly be glad when the cooler weather arrives. We're having a party here a week from Saturday, and hope to sit out on the patio. Grilling is brutal when it's this hot out, so if the temps could cool down just a bit I'd appreciate it. We're having our company open house/Oktoberfest on the 14th and so everyone (not the whole company, just our circle of friends) is coming over here afterwards.

I should go to bed. I'm staring at another long day tomorrow, then hopefully Friday will be shorter. I had already worked 39 hours for this week when I left today.

septembersgoal
10-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Kathy I'm very sorry to hear about Judd's aunt and uncle. But if you do come visit, please let me know. I'm only about 20 minutes from Winchester.
Going to fall into bed...:faint:

Tejas
10-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Wake up everyone: it's another Core day ahead. Eat those fruits and veggies, drink that water, get that exercise :drill:

Kathy, I'm sure that Froufy and I could send you some cooler weather...it's 40F, or 5C, here in Toronto this morning. It usually doesn't freeze here in the city until Halloween, but it feels like it's coming any day now. Brrr...I've spent 31 years living in Toronto's cold climate, 3 years in NYC, and I don't even like cold. Thank goodness the weather isn't everything.

Those of you south of the 49th parallel need to send good vibes to me and Froufy. We've got Thanksgiving this weekend, with ALL of it gastronomic temptations. I'm going to bake butter tarts for my ex-in law's who are elderly and can't bake anymore. AND, I'm not going to eat even one, well, maybe just one little bitty one that gets overdone or isn't quite right...you know!

It's a big holiday here in Canada, but not quite as big as the American version in that it is not their most traveled holiday time I don't think.

And, Kathy, that dinner sounds good. I can see that I've got to try the tilapia and ebay. I'll get right on both of them.

Have a good Core day everyone.

Rhonda

Katpo
10-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Rhonda, thanks very much for the offer of cooler weather. I believe I will take you up on it. ;)

I'll be back in a while but just wanted to stop in while I took a little breather.

blessedwithsarah
10-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Good morning everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian chickies! I hope you can keep core on your holiday. It can be done!!!

Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle. Is your son still on target to graduate later this month? That will be such a nice trip. Where will he go after basic is done?

Frouf, congrats on joining the gym. There is a curves in my town, I should look into that. I'm just not sure when I could get there - maybe they have baby sitting....I could go sunday, tuesday and saturday for sure. Evenings are so tight - between getting home from work, cooking, cleaning up and getting dd to bed. By the time I sit down to relax its after 8. I guess I just need to make it a priority. Hmmm, something to think about.

I need to cook my tilapia. I did buy some, its still in the freezer. The tortilla crusted one sounds yummy. DH will only eat meaty fish - swordfish or shark and shrimp. Oh well, I could make it and have it for lunches..

Rhonda, congrats on the 1/2 pd. I'm now watching my scale for those .5's. Mine only does 1/2 pds, not tenths. It is great to see it move every few days. When I lost my weight I think I averaged out to 1.3pds per week - it took about 9 months to lose the 40 pds. Not too bad for me, and I've kept just about all of it off for over a year and half. Keep up the great work.

Sandra, can you describe the rockabilly dress? sounds interesting...

Well, got to run. Work calls. I'll stop back later if I can.

blessedwithsarah
10-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Oh, one quick thing to mention. I have been eating the new crave control yougurt - I must say, it does hold me for a while. I've been having it as an early afternoon snack around 2:00 and I have not been looking for snacks later in the afternoon. I'm easily making it to dinner.

Just wanted to pass that on - they are not core, but only 1 pt.

Katpo
10-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Who makes that yogurt, Paula? I like the FF Yoplait lemon and keylime, but am always looking for another one. The only thing I don't like about Yoplait is their containers.

Froufy
10-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Eating my chocolate cherry fondue yogurt as I type - very yummy!

Morning chickies,

Yes it's a cool morning but at least the clouds and rain are gone and the sun is bright and shining - it is deceiving tho - as it looks warm but when you step outside - brrrrr! High of 11 today which is around 50 F.

Paula - the 'gym' I go to is exactly like a Curves - the hours are not super great but it works for me. I find if I don't go on my way home from work forget it! I just get beached and never go out again! So I need to program the car to drive me there whether I want to go or not so I can force myself to exercise! :D:D

Now you may not notice this but I am a typing zombie! Yes I have found out I cannot really function on around 5 hours of sleep! I always knew I was not a morning person. Suffice it to say I went to bed quite late - had trouble falling asleep - at approx 5 am dd is up, shower running, etc. At 5:20 am she is knocking on my door saying she is ready to leave - ya right! So I throw on the sweatpants, brush my teeth (??) and stumble downstairs. It's only a 5 minute drive - no traffic of course.

DD can't get out of the car til she sees someone she knows! So we sit a few minutes then thank goodness Laura arrives and she is now satisfied and can leave! I drive back home and DO YOU THINK I COULD ACTUALLY FALL BACK ASLEEP? Well guess again! NOPE NOPE NOPE. Just lay there tossing and turning - trying not to think of anything....until 7:50 am when I figured I had to get up and go to work.

My head feels like it is full of cotton balls - and yes I 'borrowed' half a cup of real (caffeinated) coffee from the office pot to add to my decaf cuz I sure could use a boost.

Of course have detailed work to complete (contract work and finish my draft presentation I'm giving at the end of the month - Hey Rhonda do you attend the DIA conferences?) and turns out I may even have to interview candidates today from temp agency - not what I was planning for today!

I did pack my gym gear but frankly I think I should head home after work and have a nap? I am however considering a walk at lunchtime (for fresh air) and to visit the nearby outdoor market for more fresh veggies! Will see how I'm doing!

Angela - this is for you: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/10/04/hayfever.html

Will check in later - hope everyone has a great day!

Froufie

blessedwithsarah
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
The yougurt is by Dannon

http://www.dannon.com/dn/dnstore/cgi-bin/ProdSubEV_Cat_240859_SubCat_2079881_NavRoot_200.ht m

Katpo
10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, you know what? I was going to say this yesterday but forgot. Frouf's article post made me remember it.

If you eat local unpasteurized honey, like 1 t. per day, it can potentially help with seasonal allergies. It has to be honey that was produced within 50 miles of where you live though. The bees pollenate from the same plants that cause your allergies and if you get a little of it every day, it will sort of create an immunity. It will be a problem though, if the bees pollenate from a plant that you are allergic to.

Here are the tips:

Consult your physician prior to use.
Keep in mind you may have an adverse reaction.
Buy unpasteurized honey from a local beekeeper or local farmer's market.
Make sure the honey is from a place as near as possible to where you live.
If possible find out if it was collected at the same time of year as when you suffer from pollen-related allergies.
Start using it a month prior to your allergy season.
Begin with a small amount and gradually increase the amount used.
Do not heat the honey.

ontarget
10-05-2006, 11:43 AM
good morning. i got on here last night and thought i'd left a message. now i can't find it. guess i got offline before i finished punching in everything.

rhonda, i'm sending you and frouf ;) ;) ;) ;) ;). be careful around those goodies. they can be deadly. also, be careful around ebay. it can get addictive. i got online this am to check on a brown dress i'm wanting to wear to your wedding. there's a little over 4 hours left on the bidding. so far i'm the high bidder. i'll be at physical therapy when time runs out. i'm wondering if i can get curtis to get online and watch it for me.

paula, i used to go to curves and they didn't allow children. i don't know how the curves near you is. i know that's not fair to young mothers. i hope you can find a curves or something else that works for you. this rockabilly dress was a long sleeved black sequined what i'd call sheath dress. i've seen other things called rockabilly, too. i don't see a pattern to them.

frouf, i didn't get the blouse. bidding ended while we were in the woods. i typed you a long message last night but can't remember what i said. i'm not awake and functioning yet either.

vickie, where are you?

Froufy
10-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm fading fast now......almost naptime? :D:D

Sandra - you know that on ebay you can put in your 'highest' bid and then go on your merry way - the 'system' will automatically increase your bid only as required (so you may not actually pay the maximum bid you entered?). I have done that a couple of times!

So tomorrow looks like 'interview' day - have 3 set up so far and possibly more which means a) I have to be alert and personable, b) I have to do a lot of talking and c) I can't wear my jeans!!! (most people do here on fridays) - need to dress up a bit and look oh so impressive! ugh!

I did go for a small walk at lunchtime (15 min) the long way to the outdoor market a few blocks away. Got some cauliflower, green beans, peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), mushrooms and some kirby cucumbers (the kind you picke - I love those!). Back at the office I prepared a plate w/baby carrots, one sliced cuke and some cauliflower pieces w/some lf ranch dressing and nibbled on those! YUM.

But don't think I shall venture to the gym - it will take all my concentration and effort just to drive myself home!

So what's everyone having for dinner?

Frouf

ontarget
10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
thank you, frouf. i did just that and won the dress!!!!! here's the photo of it.
http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL982/5031459/10306167/193220496.jpg

rhonda, i'm planning to wear this and my new heels to your wedding if they fit. i'm getting very very excited!!!

Katpo
10-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Congratulations! It's kinda dark and I can't really see it well, but I'll see it in person at the wedding so that'll be even better!

What's for dinner, you ask? Well, what sounds good? We had the tilapia last night and I have some LO broccoli. I was thinking maybe I could make some ww spaghetti, add shrimp and the broccoli and a can of diced tomatoes. We like that pretty well. Otherwise, I'll probably just make the spaghetti, top it with plain spaghetti sauce, and save the broccoli for later to mix with ww rotini and FF cheddar. That's one of our favorites.

I was thinking about leaving work a little early and going over to Central Market. I need a few weird beers to make some bread with this weekend (they have 20 oz. singles so no need to buy, and waste, a whole 6-pack since this is the stout dark stuff that's blech) ... and also need some fresh ground peanut butter. It's kind of a long way over there in the opposite direction from home, so I'm still debating.

Meanwhile, I'm due for a potty break. Oh and get this, speaking of potties, we just got an email saying the water was going to be shut off in our building tomorrow. It's supposed to be an off day but I will be working so I need to figure out how to manage a day with no water. I can go across the street but have a bad habit of waiting til the very last minute before going. I better not do that tomorrow! :lol:

Froufy
10-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Depends anyone? :D:D Don't wait til the last minute Kathy!!!

Your dinner plans sounds yummy - esp the shrimp & pasta thing!

Just got an email from another cruise buddy - Susan from Toronto - what a hoot - she was lots of fun - and of course said in person and in her email that this was the 'best ever dining room table' she has has on a cruise - not an easy feat! She is eloping soon and getting married - her family knows she is doing this - but don't know when and where - how exciting is that? She promises to send pics.

My dinner was whole wheat pasta - then in saucepan I sauteed onion, garlic, my 3 peppers of different colors and mushrooms - tossed in some LO cooked chicken and then found some tamarind sauce (from indian food) and mixed that in with a bit of lf cream - very delish - spicy but not too much - mixed it with the pasta - and have lots of LO too!

Dh and I contemplating going to a movie as dd is away and big ds seems to be home tonight! I hope I don't fall asleep in the theatre!

Frouf

Tejas
10-05-2006, 08:32 PM
My dinner was chicken breast on salad, with ff salad dressing. I was so tired after work that I just bought a cooked chicken and bagged salad. I don't usually take the easy route, but some days just demand it. I went all out for my sweetie and put his chicken in pasta sauce and dumped it all on spaghetti: Instant Chicken Cacciatore.

Froufy, what's DIA? I'll be in Ottawa in early December, I think.

Sandra, the dress looks great.

I was disappointed at wi today. Even though my scales say I've lost another pound, the loss was only .6 at WW. I'm taking my naked- in- the- morning weight as gospel because it's less that the evening WW!! ;)

It's been a rough day of cravings. I notice that immediately after wi, no matter what the scale says, I really want to eat, anything:cbg: It must be that I am still equating all of this with some sort of deprivation instead of really getting that it is all about healthy. I should probably take an apple or something with me to wi so I'd have something to munch on.

Rhonda

ontarget
10-05-2006, 08:56 PM
the dinners all sound good to me. we had homemade quesadillas. (one each). they were core cept for the tortilla.

rhonda, i'm glad you like the dress. i also bought shoes this week that i think will go great with it. .6 is a good loss. i'm like you and am hungrier on wi day than the rest of the week. i think it may be because we're starting over and know we have those 35 wpa's. what do you think?

gotta go. it's lightning out something fierce.

Katpo
10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
We actually had nothing. Judd and Jon went to Sundance Square, I went to Central Market and he'll be back late so I'm not cooking.

Holy cow, Grey's Anatomy is SMOKIN' HOT right now!

I got such good stuff at Central Market: lettuce, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, purple grapes, blue corn tortillas, chipotle salsa, dried fruit, 15-bean soup mix, ground peanut butter, red pepper hummus, Stonyfield Farms FF plain yogurt, and FF cottage cheese. I'm really hungry but I'm not going to eat anything tonight because I'm having a worried night. Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.

septembersgoal
10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi friends! I hope that you're all doing great. I'll be catching up this weekend. I SO miss knowing what's going on with all of you!!

Kathy, I'm sorry that you're worried. :hug: Your shrimp/pasta thing sounds great. I bought some frozen shrimp for the first time the other day. It was buy 1 get 2 free so I figured I ought to go for it.

Sandra, I love the dress!

Frouf, I hope you're out for a relaxing evening. Your dinner sounds really great.

Vickie, are you doing okay?? :hug:

I've got a PC show tomorrow night at MIL's house. I've still got plenty to do and I'm super tired so I'm off to get it all done. Have a great Friday everyone!

Katpo
10-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Melissa. I'm sure it'll get better soon. Some mail came for Shaun today that upset me ... I'm sure it's time-sensitive but there's no way to get it to him. And so the saga continues. I wonder if the day will ever come that I don't stress about him. I don't even worry about baby Kate as much as I do him!

I hope your show goes well tomorrow night. It's very exciting to see how this has really taken off! I'm sure you're exhausted from working all day and then dealing with PS at night though.

Saundra, if you ever read here, thanks for some advice you gave a while back (and I'm sure you didn't even realize it at the time)! I've been messing with this Donvier yocheese maker for so long that I was about to give up, but then went back and read where you used Organic Meadow. I found some Stonyfield Farms FF plain tonight (they had small cups), which I think would be very close to what you bought, and put it in the yocheese maker tonight. I could already tell it was going to be better than the Yoplait plain. I think the Yoplait is too soft because it just runs right thru the strainer. Tomorrow I'm going to roast some garlic to mix in with the yocheese. It'll be a good thing to eat with my carrots and celery.

I'm going to bed now. I hope everyone has a good night.

Katpo
10-06-2006, 08:19 AM
The prize is mine!

How's everyone this morning? I slept horribly ... well, I take that back. I slept from 11:00 til midnight, when I woke up realizing Judd wasn't home yet. I waited about an hour, tried to call his friend's cell phone but got no answer. He got home around 1:30 and was making all sorts of noise, leaving lights on, flopping down on the bed to take his shoes off. I finally got back to sleep around 2:30 and then at 5:30 he came back in the bedroom (he had been in the family room until then) and so I got up and came on in to work. I figure I got about 4 hours of sleep so that means it's going to be a nice, long day. But when I got up this morning, I made to sure to leave the lights on, slam the doors, drawers, etc. If he mentions it, I'll just reply, "Oh, I guess I thought we were going to stop the 'being considerate to each other' thing." ;)

Today I must get over to the post office to see my friends. The head dude that we saw last weekend at the restaurant was telling me that the lady who works there has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. She's back at work now and was wearing a wig, but I think they've convinced her to stop and just go au naturel. He said her hair is growing back and although very short, it looks good and she's doing much better. It will be nice to see them all.

I might as well get back to work -- will check back in later.

ontarget
10-06-2006, 09:21 AM
good morning. i'm up early getting ready to go to ww and wi. afterwards curtis and i are going to visit some friends and go out to lunch. i did an extra 40 min in the water yesterday before class. it really felt good.

melissa, have fun at your pc party tonight. i'm glad it's working out so well for you. you sound much much happier now.

kathy, i hope today's better for you. i hate those nights when i can't sleep.

rhonda, the more i think about that dress i'm getting, the happier i am. the ones i lost bidding on were "too much". this dress is more sensible for me. now i'm waiting on the shoes to get here. this will be a big test to see if my "crippled" feet will survive in them. they're supposed to be made especially for folks with feet problems so i'm hopeful.

i'll bet doyle enjoyed his dinner. sounds like he's getting some "loving from the kitchen." i was just thinking of that advertising song, "nothing says lovin' like something from the oven......"

i normally don't eat before wi, but i had my banana already. i can't take my arthritis meds unless i eat something first and today i needed to take them early.

frouf, did you go to the movies last night? i admire the way you and dh go out on dates. i think that's very romantic.

i'm going to do some surfing for a bit. be back later.

Froufy
10-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Romantic? We just want to get out of the house and away from whining children! :D:D Yes we did go to the movies - I had popcorn and diet coke (I was actually hungry after dinner). But scale is my FRIEND this week - started out the week at 214 (after my fast go figure) and today it's reading 210!!! Need to get down at least 1 more pound before dr appt on Tuesday - which will be hard given our weekend of turkey eating! Will try to get to the gym after work today.

By the way I love the dress and hope the shoes work! Good luck at WI.

Rhonda - I think getting prepared food is absolutely positively okay - esp if it prevents you from eating what you shouldn't. Sometimes when I'm super hungry and shopping for dinner I pick up one of those veggie & dip trays - yes they are pricey - but I can munch on that while I'm cooking dinner rather than something else that is not on plan!

DIA: http://www.diahome.org/diahome/
Upcoming conference: http://www.diahome.org/product/11286/06019.pdf

Kathy - you sound like I did the other day! I know how hard it is to function on so little sleep - hope you have an okay day. Love all the stuff you got at the market - very yummy.

Where's Vickie???

Melissa - good luck w/your PC party - hope all goes well.

Angela - how are you doing with the allergies??

Guess I shall pick up a fresh turkey today or tomorrow? (and beat off the crowds in the grocery store). Already have stuffing and sweet potatoes - need to find some cranberries - and of course brussel sprouts! We may have other 'guests' for dinner tomorrow night? and will probably go to sil's or niece's on Sunday. Weekend weather supposed to be sunny and crisp but quite nice on Sunday (around 65-70!). At least we have Monday off to recoup?

So today I am deep into interviews: four of them: 10 am, 11 am, 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm - I'm sure I will lose my voice! Wish me luck - maybe I shall find someone suitable to help me out?

Later,

Frouf

ontarget
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
paula, i just reread your post from wednesday about eating the coleslaw for a nighttime snack. i want to congratulate you for making that great decision. this is exactly what core's about--making healthier choices. i confess i'm not doing strictly core now but i do tend to include more core foods. in the past when i'd do straight flex, i'd often spend too many of my daily points on "junk." i think another benefit of core is that it helps a lot of us relearn healthier eating choice making. sounds like you get an A+. congratulations.

frouf, a night at the movies still sounds romantic to me. i love what you posted about prepared foods. i like your idea about the veggie trays. okay, i'm sending you ;) ;) ;) ;) for keeping your voice today. have a great holiday weekend. i may cook some chicken and dressing in honor of you and rhonda. (confession! or maybe i'm cooking it because you're making me hungry for it.)

Katpo
10-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Hehe! I spied the Froufy name on the conference brochure! But on Halloween? :yikes:

So far, so good here. This is the day that our water is turned off in the building and we have to schlepp across the street to go potty. I have managed to plan ahead though; made it there just fine. :D I'm a big girl now.

aghiowa
10-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi all. I'm doing fine...still waiting to hear from the doctor about the course of action on my allergies.

Vickie? Where are you lady? You sounded really upset your last 2 posts. I hope you're OK. :hug:

We started up our babysitting group again. Tonight we'll have a houseful of screaming girls, but that's OK because it means the next two Fridays, we'll have free.

Later ladies,
Angela

blessedwithsarah
10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Just checking in - my head is killing me. Allergies are kicking in and I forgot to take some sinus pills this morning. I'm debating on going out at lunch to get some or taking a walk. My 12:00 meeting just got cancelled. Maybe I'll take a couple of tylenol and walk.... hmm, need to decide.

Today is the end of customer service week, to end it off we are having a cocktail party from 4-6. I may have a glass of wine but I need to stay away from the food. Perhaps I'll just skip it all together and sneek out of the office early :D

Frouf - congrats on your loss this week. It must be a happy scale week! Keep thinking about the loss you had as you go into the weekend. Turkey is good, maybe some potatoes. Will you make core desserts? Enjoy!

I'm off to post my menu for the day. Take care everyone

blessedwithsarah
10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Rhonda - Congrats on getting into the 180s!!! I just noticed your ticker. Good work.

Tejas
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Froufy:

I bet DIA wouldn't let me in the door! Check out this website. My name is at the end, so you have to read the whole thing!

http://www.caut.ca/en/bulletin/issues/2002_dec/default.asp

OK, I've decided that today is going to be an 18 point day, in preparation for holiday eating in a few days.

I appreciated Sandra's remarks about flex and spending points on junk. I've never really been a serious junk food eater but, boy, can I find it when I want it. I think baked goods are my really weak point....oh, and then there's that ever so wonderful chocolate :dizzy:

I'm gathering up my courage because I've got an afternoon meeting where cookies will be everywhere. SO,
I'm going to follow Frouf's example and go buy a veggie tray for the meeting. I'll eat carrots and feel smug.

Thanks Paula, yes ma'am, I got to move that ticker and I'm gonna do it again in the next few days, regardless of all the temptations around me.

Rhonda

Katpo
10-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Rhonda, congratulations! All your hard work is paying off!!

I think I'm outta here at noon. I'm debating whether or not I should go to a movie -- it would be by myself and that doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe I'll just go to the bookstore and get a good book, then go to the park and read. Or take myself to lunch! Oh, the possibilities ...

Froufy
10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Good job Rhonda on the Apotex case - no researcher should have to go thru that! And I'm sure DIA would love to have you!

Paula - sorry you are not feeling well - hope you took your meds and are on the mend? If you are staying for the cocktail party you might have to have a healthy/core snack before hand? I find if I am not hungry I am not as tempted. My other strategy is the 'chewing gum' one - I will sometimes chew gum during a food event as this usually helps stop me from popping things into my mouth! Good luck.

Angela - I'm sure the girl gang will have lots of fun tonight - any plans to keep them busy? More importantly what are you and dh planning for the next 2 fridays? :D

Hehe! I spied the Froufy name on the conference brochure! But on Halloween? Who cares about hallowe'en (should I go in costume?) - what about waking up at the crack of dawn? That's the bigger challenge (and driving downtown and finding parking!)

So there will be a run on veggie trays at all the stores today :D I am nibbling on a fresh sliced baby cucumber - much better than cookies right Rhonda! And honestly it usually is more expensive to eat healthy - altho I wish it weren't so!

And while my scale is being cooperative this week I know this won't last forever - thinking of another challenge as I need to desperately get back to onderland - maybe a 10 lbs to xmas challenge?

Finished 2 interviews (voice still intact) - 2 more to go. I think this last candidate was actually overqualified and would be bored here. In between interviews trying to get some contracting work going so my head is spinning.

And during the interviews I close my office door (usually always left open) and I have found it gets pretty warm in here - so here I am (luckily in short sleeves) with bright pink cheeks!

Time for my fruit salad now (kiwi, blueberrries and strawberries!).

Tejas
10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Frouf and All: in public health we developed a mantra: "make the healthy choices the easy choices."

It's staggering how ineffective we have all been at that...all the way from the national government's choices that affect income, to policies that affect the environment and farming, to grocery wholesalers and retailers, to schools putting in cola machines, to "you name it."

But, we'll make our individual choices the healthy ones today, no matter what the obstacles. Off I go to conquer the inner cookie monster!

Later everyone,
Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
10-06-2006, 02:37 PM
OK, took 2 tylenol and went for a walk. I feel better but not great, just took 2 more tylenol. Had my yogurt and grapes for snack, going into a 3:00 meeting then our cocktail party. I WILL BE STRONG!

ontarget
10-06-2006, 03:51 PM
paula, i'm glad you're feeling better. you'll be strong.

kathy, i'm glad you're taking off. no restroom is a good reason.

rhonda, i know you're doing well in the cookie kingdom. you're making healthy choices.

frouf, i am picturing you with pink cheeks and bunny ears. am i crazy?

angela, do you and dh have plans for an evening out?

Katpo
10-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Ugh, what a day! Here's what I did after leaving work at 12:00...

Bank - opened a separate checking account because I'm pissed at how much Judd is spending, so if there's any chance of me saving money, it will have to be in a separate account

Home Depot - got pansies and mums to plant in the back

NTB (battery store) - they said "sorry, not our problem". Last week when my battery went dead, Judd took the Trailblazer into the NTB to have it replaced. After that, the a/c didn't blow out the vents. He called and they said bring it back, it's just a little tweak. So today I take it back, they look at it for 5 seconds, and say nope. Small consolation that when I left, their shop ticket and ticket holder was still on my dashboard. So HA!

Panda Express - I needed it

Post office

Mobil - Got my oil changed and they pissed me off there too. I sat there and listened to the two people in front of me checking out. The first guy's bill was $95. He hit the ceiling. It was supposed to be $59 (for synthetic oil) and they told him his car took 8 quarts, so it cost more. He said maybe you should tell people that up front, because obviously if you know what kind of car I have, you know how much oil it takes ... he reluctantly paid it. Next guy's bill was $50, it should have been $39. The guy asked why so much (that much tax?) and they told him no, your car takes more oil so we had to charge you more. He said that's stupid, but he paid it.

Mine was supposed to be $19.99 due to a special they were running. My bill was $31. I asked why, and they said because my car takes more oil, so they had to charge me more. I said, well that's a pretty good little racket you've got going here ... I have sat here and heard the last two people be told the same thing. I will *NOT* be back here and you people suck.

So I was mad when I left there, then went to NTB for the stupendously good news about the a/c. I swear, I might just blow my top here. When Judd walks in the house in a few minutes, I'm sure there will be a huge fight. I'm not allowed to be in a bad mood.

Elanajel
10-06-2006, 06:33 PM
My new discovery: that strained Greek (I think it's Fage? maybe Tage?) ff yogurt. I asked DH to get some for me--had heard so many rave about it--I have now joined the official fan club for it. Much livelier taste than regular ff. I haven't exercised much since Wed. kickboxing but will go to a Boot Camp class tomorrow morning. I think the fact that I just wrote it down means it will happen.

Wishing everyone a great weekend...

Tejas
10-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Paula: I'll be thinking of you tonight. I managed not to eat even one cookie crumb at the meeting. You can do it!

Kathy: YOU GO GIRL!

Elana: Love that quote at the end.

We're having lo pot roast tonight so that shouldn't be too bad. I'll skip the potatoes.

Back later...

Rhonda

Katpo
10-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Elana, were you here when we were discussing the Donvier yocheese maker? You might really like that if you like the Greek yogurt. You can make it without the maker, just by putting the FF plain yogurt into a coffee filter in a bowl. The result is something that resembles cream cheese but has the active cultures and a little more zing than cream cheese.

Rhonda, enjoy your dinner! Avoiding the potatoes when having roast is something that few people can pull off. I wish you much luck. ;)

Judd is going to the Mexican restaurant down the street to pick up something. I'm not hungry so I said no thanks. I am currently making some of the mixed bean soup, and making some Shiner Bock bread. The only other things I'll do tonight is a teeny bit of laundry and then I'm watching Nanny 911. :lol: I'm such a sucker for shows like that.

Have a good night! I'll be back in the morning -- gotta get my mood all set to plant flowers tomorrow morning. I also got some lettuce, rosemary and parsley. The rosemary and parsley will go outside in the front flowerbed but I think I'll put the lettuce in a big pot. It needs full sun and if I do that, I can move it around if needed.

Nighty night!

Tejas
10-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, it's my day to brag. I ate pot roast but no potatoes, no rolls...just meat and some green beans.

Whew... tough day ;0

And Kathy is going to plant flowers tomorrow...there are some advantages to 90F weather in October!

Good night.

Rhonda

ontarget
10-06-2006, 11:51 PM
elana, i'm impressed that you're a kickboxer. that's great exercise.

kathy, i transplanted a bed or rosebushes today. i don't know if they'll make it or not. i've never transplanted anything up here this time of year. guess i'll find out soon if they're going to live. where they were, the deer were dining on them regularly. they're at least in a safer bed now.

rhonda, congratulations, cuz!! that is a big accomplishment. curtis and i ate at cracker barrel for lunch today. we each ordered from the kid's menu. i do that often. this was a first for him. he's starting to worry about his weight. he's 6'2" so he can carry a lot. hmmmmmmmmm? maybe i need to be a foot taller?

we were out in the woods this evening. i had a cute little squirrel as a partner. he scampered all around me (looking like a bush) and decided i wasn't dangerous. he even brought his food over and ate beside me. i think he was on core.

Katpo
10-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Sandra, you have just hit on the perfect solution! If we could change our height as easily as we can change our weight, we'd all have it made.

It's not supposed to get out of the 80s for the next week so we're all glad about the cooler temps. Now if we can get some rain to go along with it, I'll be a happy kid.

The bean soup I made last night was really good, so that's for lunch. I looked at my FitDay and it's all Core except for the thin slice of homemade WW bread (I use the mini pans and so the slice is about 2"x2" and 1/4" thick). Maybe I'll post it today.

Tejas
10-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I'd love to have the bread recipe Kathy..hope you post it.

Sandra, I love your stories about the woods....send us more. I have a little ravine just a three minute walk from my front door. It's only about two blocks long, between a row of houses and a railroad track. I take the dogs there everyday and pretend I'm in the country. There all kinds of birds, racoons, a stream, and, once, a family of foxes.

Toronto is just amazing with ravines everywhere and lots of wildlife. I've seen foxes and coyotes and deer right in the neighborhoods.

I hope everyone is have a great Core day. I'm doing very well so far and hoping I can move that ticker tomorrow morning. This every other day approach takes some mental pressure off of me for some reason.

Rhonda

Katpo
10-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Oops, Rhonda -- I meant post my menu! LOL! But that's not going to happen now because I had a few substitutions to the menu. The bread, though, is very easy and when eaten in moderation, wouldn't be all that bad. I haven't calculated the points but don't intend to. Maybe someone else can do it if they're interested.

This is the bread that's served at Saltgrass Steakhouse. It uses Shiner Bock beer, but I've also substituted some other dark beers in the past and it worked fine. Just make sure the beer is flat.

Salt Grass Steakhouse Shiner Bock Beer Bread
1 1/2 -1 3/4 C. Shiner Bock Beer (flat)
2 1/2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 C. All Purpose Flour
(I use 4 cups of Whole Wheat Flour, and use the best I can find -- no Pillsbury or anything like that. My favorite is King Arthur.)
2 tsp. Dry Active Yeast
1/4 C. Warm Water ( not hot )
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. Vegetable Oil

Dissolve in a large mixing bowl yeast with warm water, add honey and stir. Mix in wheat flour, salt, and all purpose flour in bowl. Stir in oil and slowly add flat beer. Mix all ingredients together. (At this point, I usually add about a tsp. or two of additional flour to make it come off the side of the bowl.) Place dough on a floured service and kneed for at least 10 - 15 minutes. The dough may need a little more flour added to it if while kneading its sticking to your hands. The finished dough will feel smooth and spongy and will not stick to your hands.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic until it doubles in size. Do not place dough in a draft or a over heated area. The dough should be let to rise at room temperature.

When dough has doubled, punch in the middle and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide into four equal parts and shape into round loaves. (I use four mini loaf pans instead.) Place loaves on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Score twice on top of each loaf with a knife two inches apart and about 2 1/2 inches long. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until the loaves have double in size.
Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Pampered Chef has a good stoneware mini loaf pan too. :D

septembersgoal
10-07-2006, 03:13 PM
That's right! :lol:

I hope that you're all having a great Saturday. The show went pretty well last night and I had great sales. My MIL earned 90.00 in free products. Not too shabby! :)
I've read through briefly but I can't stay. I have a ton to do today. It's gorgeous here, a real fall day. I hope to get out some too.
Have a great day everyone!!

Katpo
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Wow, that's fabulous! You are really doing well with it.

And believe it or not, it's a beautiful day here too. I'm about to go out and start the planting because the Texas-OU game is starting. With Judd having gone to UT, you can imagine where he is sitting right now ... and it has the potential to get loud in here. I did go to the store, however, and get him some things for snacks while he watches the game. I'm making some bean and cheese nachos, guacamole, cheese dip, and I got a port wine cheese ball and crackers for him. He should be set. I don't want any of that stuff, so it's safe.

Happy Saturday!

ontarget
10-07-2006, 05:10 PM
hi, girls. curtis and i are just now home from the archery center. we trained for about 1.5 hours this am. then this young man (8th grader) came in. this young man is phenomenal! very polite. highly dedicated. i had heard a few minutes earlier that his older brother had just moved out--and this is the brother's senior year. his brother always brought him in to the archery center to shoot. now he's not only out of the house, but he's moved across the state. to make a long story short, curtis took the young guy under his wing this morning and coached him over 2 hours helping him with his equipment and shooting. he was very very appreciative and thanked both of us several times.

afterwards, we were starved and wound up at golden corral for lunch. i walked through the front door intending to have a major pigout. well, i didn't. i had tossed salad/ff ranch, 2 chicken tenders. then i had a piece of carrot cake. curtis and i were talking at the table and realized this was my first "real" dessert in months. i normally eat 1 pt brownies or 2 pt cookies or granola bars. this was an event. i savored every bite. i told myself that i was going to do what a former ww leader told me to do. "sit down and eat with dignity."

i'm planning for my next piece of cake to be at rhonda's wedding. rhonda, you know i've been drooling for a bite for a long long time.

kathy, i'm going to make taco soup this afternoon. i don't know if it's like your bean soup or not, but it has a lot of pinto beans in it. it's a core soup. i'll probably have a polenta cake with it tonight. curtis will have cornbread.

rhonda, i love walks in the woods, too. doyle can tell you about where i lived west of grandview my last 2 years of high school. we had trees all over the place. i'd take my cat (yes, cat) (well, i didn't take him. he followed me.) for walks in the woods. we'd sit near a small pond sometimes and just enjoy ourselves. i had that cat from the summer after 3rd grade till i turned 21. his name was "meow meow." he could say his name.

i'm glad weighing every other day is working for you. you're sounding very very grounded. i am happy for you. i am weighing every day now except when i've had popcorn or something else that i know makes me retain fluids.

melissa, it's a gorgeous fall day here, too. i told curtis it looks like football weather to me now. i'm glad your mil did so well with her party. i'm jealous.

HOOK'EM HORNS!! i have a nephew going there now.

Katpo
10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Yay, Sandra! Thank goodness there's another Longhorns supporter among us!

The flowers are planted, the snacks are all made and served (he was SUPER excited! -- I made guac for his nachos and he's in heaven right now) ... now I have settled down with TLC and my Christmas cards. I had made the list between Christmas and New Years', and signed/addressed the special ones for family. I signed all the rest with the generic greeting and put them in envelopes, so now they just have to be addressed. I'll finish that up today and tomorrow and then I'll just be waiting for Christmas stamps to come out.

Do you guys remember that big box of makeup Kate bought last year at the grocery store where she worked? I found two plastic shoeboxes of it in the closet this morning and couldn't figure out what to do. I am NOT going to have a garage sale (ugh) even though I have a virtual ton of stuff to get rid of. The paralyzed veterans are collecting on Friday but it's a little iffy to give them stuff like that due to the glass bottles. I'm wondering if an assisted living facility could use them? If I can't figure out something, I'll see about taking them to the women's shelter. There's no reason I should hang on to it. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

The decluttering continues, even though it doesn't look like it. This morning I had the bright idea for me, Judd, his friend Jon, and our admin to get together once a month and do home projects. We all like hanging around together, and it's always more motivating to do things in a group. Whoever's house we're working on would provide food. Now I have to pitch it to them in a way that it sounds fun instead of like a chore! ;)

Back to TLC and the Christmas cards. I hope everyone is happy today.

ontarget
10-07-2006, 05:44 PM
kathy, we watch a lot of hgtv and are really into doing some things around the house. i think your idea of monthly projects is a good one. we already decided that if we do move and build a new home, it's going to be something "unusual." we've watched too many of those "offbeat" homes on tv. we want one.

Tejas
10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
The Texas-OU ballgame. I went to one of those at the Cotton Bowl, back when I was in my 20's! What an event. Judd is a lucky man to get all those wonderful snacks.

And, Curtis is lucky to have a young person to tutor. That young man is also lucky....he'll "pay back" with his success, no doubt.

I enjoyed hearing about the savoring of the cake. It's good to do that...probably no matter what we're eating.

I've been having a very quiet day, on purpose. I announced that the meals would be very simple this weekend, but those are often quite good. I'm going to read and do chores around the house. I ordered "State of Denial" through Amazon and have started it.

Have a good night all.

Rhonda

septembersgoal
10-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Wow, Kathy, I'm totally impressed that you're doing Christmas cards. I'm doing great to be thinking about Christmas presents! I just got another "free" offer from vistaprint and am thinking about placing another order. I ordered enough pc business cards, postcards, etc to last me a good long while. I may get some coordinating return address labels and whatnot. I got one of the calendars and it turned out really nice! I was quite happy with it, and they're free again with this special. I might make another one for my grandmother. Oh and I think giving the makeup to a shelter is a great idea.

Sandra, I'm going to make a batch of chili tomorrow. :T I've been wanting it for awhile but the weather wasn't ready. That's so funny about your cat. One of the secretaries I worked with in NC had a cat that was featured in TIME. They couldn't find the cat when they were getting ready to move and had to leave it behind. I think they were in GA. They moved to NC. A few months later the cat showed up at their house. Pretty wild, eh?

I've got to get working on a paper. I'm so behind on school work due to PC.
Night!

septembersgoal
10-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh Sandra, what about a bow and arrow shaped home? ;)

ontarget
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
a bow and arrow shaped home? i love it!!!!!!!!!! actually, if we build, we're going to have a 20 yd shooting range in it. aren't we nuts!?!

the taco soup is now made but wasn't at dinner time. curtis had lo tamales and i had lo potato soup. taco soup tomorrow.

rhonda, is your thanksgiving meal on monday? i'm glad you're having a relaxing weekend. let us know how the book is. i'm reading hornet's nest right now. i'm barely into it.

melissa, that's a hoot about that cat. i wonder how it knew where they'd moved. when i was married before and living in texas, a neighbor took our cat to the other side of another town. it came home about 2 weeks later. the neighbor said he'd never do that again. (he was our uncle.) i have never seen a man feel so guilty over something like that.

Katpo
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, good grief, I just had to come and tell you guys what stupid thing I have done. :lol: It's stupid even for ME, who does stupid things on a regular basis.

I had gotten some chicken from Costco that's six packages of a pound each. I put four of them on a shelf in the door of the freezer. No problem, right? Wrong. They're frozen solid and I can't get them out. It was one of the shorter compartments in the door, and it's the same height as the package of chicken. I think I'll have to get the hairdryer and thaw it out while it's in the door, then cook it all immediately. If I keep tugging on it, I'm going to break the front of the shelf. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get Judd involved and I'll never hear the end of his kidding.

I think a bow and arrow shaped house is a GREAT idea! It will definitely be a one-of-a-kind, but so will a house that has a 20 ft. archery range in it!

I went out to potty the dogs just now and it was quite a lot cooler. Fortunately, the mums and pansies love cooler weather. I went ahead and watered everything one more time, and hosed off the deck where I had spilled dirt all over it. It really looks good, because I got yellow mums and then purple, white, and yellow pansies. Last year I got some sort of pansies that were called "romantic" and the colors were just too muted. They looked faded the entire time. I like these much better, plus they're in pots. I planted the lettuce in a hanging pot so I could move it around to follow the sun.

Judd's having trouble reordering his Aetna Rx home delivery medicine (allergy stuff) so I have to go help him. See you tomorrow!

Tejas
10-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Yes, Thanksgiving meal will be on Monday with a good friend here who is originally from Indiana. We do the traditional Thanksgiving meal on the Canadian calendar and then, if we're here for the U.S. holiday, we often go out for Chinese food!

I, of course, have to make the cornbread stuffing because no one does that here.

I have a new Canadian friend who, on American Thanksgiving, has a big traditional meal and invites her American friends over. But, THIS year, I'll be around the Texas family table not eating because I'll have two days to lose 20 pounds before the wedding :lol:

Good night all,
Rhonda

ontarget
10-07-2006, 11:44 PM
2 days to lose 20 pounds is doable. curtis and i were just making our "to do" list of things we need to get done before we leave. it's looking like we'll be leaving here on monday, oct. 30. that's the day after his mom's birthday.

we're penciling in the tournament in north richland hills for the 5th and kaufman for the 11th. the one on the 5th is very iffy. we take several days to drive from montana to texas cuz we're old. plus, we'll be hugging granddaughters a lot when we first get there.

kathy, did you get the chicken out of the freezer. that sounds like a lucy story.

rhonda, i haven't made my cornbread dressing yet this weekend. it's looking like sometime next week. curtis and i are going to have it in your and frouf's honor.

i tasted the taco soup. it's spicey! oh, well.

night night, chickies.