WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176.9/161/135

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb Donating Blood

I donated blood today and wonder why we don't get a few extra points for that?
Just a few so you can have the juice and cookies before you pass out!
I had a few extras today to keep me from falling over and feel like we should be rewarded with a 3 point credit to account for a little extra to make more plasma.

This is not a complaint, I used my flex points to cover the extras so I am fine as far as that goes. Just wondering....
Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/166/140

Height: 5'4"

Yea your right!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Well they could give you the extra points, but the name of the game is weight loss, and losing that bit of blood doesn't help with the weight loss.

Now you mentioned both - did you give blood or plasma? I've been in plasma banking for 18 years so I might be able to help. If you give plasma, you only need to eat a regular balanced breakfast like you normally would. And when you leave, you should feel like you did when you come in, as long as they give you saline. Most plasma centers do give saline. Plasma is mostly water. You just need to eat a balanced diet and stay hydrated and your body will make the plasma just fine.

Another option for you is to donate between a meal and a snacktime. Bring your meal or snack, and when you are through with your donation, have your own planned meal/snack that you brought along. As long as you have something reasonably healthy they will probably be ok with it. The juice and cookies don't do anything for building your plasma back up. The fluid is to replace fluid you lost, and the cookies/crackers are to make you feel a little more stabilized. We have a diet controlled diabetic donor that donates in my town and she brings a sandwich and a drink with her and as soon as her donation is over, she goes to the lobby and has her sandwich before she leaves. This way she gets the balance she needs. I bet your blood center would work with you also.

Now with alll that aside, I think this is a great tool for you to learn to keep the weight off after you lose it! Your body isn't going to lose weight or maintain a loss if you don't work with your life. The laws of the universe won't keep the 200 calories from doing it's thing regardless of why you ate it. It's all calories in and calories out. You can find a way to work in things like blood donation crackers, wedding cake, prenatal snacks, etc. and still be successful. It will be part of a lifelong process. So in a way, consider yourself very lucky for not getting freebie points from WW.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Actually, according to the Mayo Clinic (and I tend to believe medical stuff coming from them, since I'm no medical expert), you "burn" approximately 650 calories by donating a pint of blood. It's because your body needs to use energy to create more blood cells (it's something to do with hemoglobin and iron and the calories are required to trigger a synthesis of red blood cells.... like I said, not a medical expert!) Anyhow, if I were you I'd look at the cookies and juice as making up some of those calories that you'll burn in creating more blood cells. And way to go for donating blood - there's definitely not enough healthy people out there who do it.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Oh yeah! I have also heard that, but from what I understand, it is for the whole 6-8 week process to fully rebuild the blood, which is where the calorie burn is coming from. So I personally wouldn't count it towards activity points, etc, but at least you'll know it will all 'come out in the wash'.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

Jennifer that is great information and will help out (if you don't mind) I share it with some of the people (I'll refer them to this thread not repost) in some of the other sites I visit?!?!?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176.9/161/135

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb

Basic Whole Blood Donation.

Still kept with in points and still dropped about one solid pound from the donation. I am obsessed but this really got me thinking.

I do not think that donation is a method of weight loss nor to I advocate it as such.
Also, I am not looking for a free cookie.

Went to work out today, the day after donating and was woozy and light headed so I did half the intensity and triple the water.

Donating takes a physical toll on me and I am going to go with the mayo clinic on this one! Just by the feeling of exaustion I get after tells me my body is working over time to recoup.

And as far as the weight loss game is concerned, I have no intention of jumping off the bus because of this or any isssue. I need to get fit for myself so I can take care of my family and breeth in my jeans.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

When I donate, I ask for snacks other than cookies, and was given some whole grain crackers at one site, and light microwave popcorn at another site. I also drink water (lots of water before donating and lots after--did everyone know that hydrating before will make the blood flow faster?) instead of juice, which I don't like anyway. So I can still kind of stay on program (I do Core so I count the points for the crackers). For me, a venture into cookie land will trigger some bad eating so I must have an alternative.

Prior to Weight Watchers, I once donated so I could get a free pint of Ben & Jerry's. *Sigh* Those were the days. . .
Old 10-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

I hope you didn't think I thought you were doing it for a free cookie! I may have come off wrong. I was just analyzing the outcome of possibilities with point systems, sorry!

If whole blood is hard on you physically, try plasma or platelets. You don't lose oxygen carrying blood cells. I'm not sure what all is removed with plateletpheresis, but with plasma, it is mostly water, with proteins and clotting factors. Plasma is the liquid portion of your blood, and it rebuilds in 2 days. Drinking water also helps your veins plump up, so they can find your vein a bit better. Always a good thing.
Closed Thread