General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Have you left instructions for your online world if something happens to you?

I posted in another forum earlier because I was concerned about the sudden absense of one of our members. She posted regularly and frequently for a long time, and then suddenly she just disappeared. I'm very worried about her and we have no way to find out if she's safe or healthy or if she just got tired of us.

If something happens to you, do you have instructions for someone to contact your online friends?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #2  

Cool

I don't have any such plans. No one knows I post in this forum and I'm not as regular as I used to be. However, I have wondered about people who used to be regular posters and suddenly stopped. One I really miss is Catherine (Hippievanlady) who used to post in the 300+ thread. She just disappeared one day six months ago. Her posts were always interesting and inspirational. I hope she's okay.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
If something happens to you, do you have instructions for someone to contact your online friends?
That is a very intresting thought. I used to spend a lot of time on the internet chatting with 'online friends' and I never really thought about the fact that 'what would they think if it disipeared?' I still spend a lot of time on time on the internet but not like before - I stopped most of that whole online chatting/meeting people thing. But it is a very good point. About two weeks ago when there was the killings in Afghanistan it made me think about a friend I have stationed over there, the only way we keep in touch now is over MSN - if something were to happen to him I would never know!

hmm... anyway this has really got me thinking.

But I do have to say, as someone who could have been called an 'internet whore' at one point - sometimes people just get bored and move on. Maybe something happened to their computer and they haven't been able to fix it? There could be a number of reasons as to why they are no longer posting, but I am sure they are happy and doing well
Old 09-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #4  

Nope. My online friends aren't really 'real' to me in most aspects that I'd think of having someone let them know if anything happened to me. I'd imagine that they really wouldn't care anyway! LOL

Perhaps I'm way off - but I'd think that if someone just dropped off a board and stop posting where they used to all the time that their internet connection got disrupted somehow or they found something more important to do with their time or someplace else on the net to hang out, thats all... (if I even noticed)

I know - I'm a crappy online friend.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I post on a few boards, but not a lot that's worth mentioning. If something should happen, the boards hubby and I both post at are the ones who'd miss me the most, and he'd inform them of what was up.

I used to have a group I spoke with regularly, but we all kind went our own ways when the board we visited disbanded when it was taken down for a long time while in the process of an upgrade. Ocassionally, some of us run across one another again. As was the case just a few days ago. And I found out that of our little old group, one of the members went through depression and had committed suicide. It's hard to imagine it, and no one knew. So I got in touch with another of the old gang and informed her. She was shocked as well.

And I've seen it on another board with a poster I wasn't familiar with. Those that did correspond regularly with her though wondered at her absence until someone finally discovered she'd passed away and informed the rest of the board. But no one knew for quite some time.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I don't have anyone I could leave instructions to to contact any online friends. If something did happen to me, I'm not even positive anyone would find me for a long time, unless it happened out in public. If I didn't show up for work they would call my house, but if they didn't get an answer, I don't think anyone would come looking for at least 4 or 5 days, if at all.

So, no.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #7  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Yes I do, my boys know my email password and I have my *3fc friends emails in there.
This past Feb I had surgery and my youngest son emailed one of them to let them know all was well.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Well I guess I'm one of the rare ones. My husband knows I come here and he would come here if something ever happened to me. I get a lot of support here and I do appreciate all the kind words and advice I get and the friends I've made. Online or Offline, Friends are great to have around and even though they may not "know me" in "Real Life" I think there are a few that do care about me and would worry if I just happened to quit posting or coming online.........

Just my humble opinions.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

For a long time I've had a word document on my computer with instructions on how to log into various messengers, emails, etc., and who to contact. It's a good reminder!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 AM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I actually never gave it any thought. But...my hubby (and children) knows that I post here and I have friends here and he would figure out how to get in touch. Plus the main thread I post on I have the ladies addresses and if he couldn't get on here he would write one of them. But it definitely makes you think twice about leaving instructions and I think I will. Thank you Suzanne for this thread!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know it sounds strange but I have to say that I have been thoughtless in the past when it came to 3fc. When I would start slipping, I'd tend to drop off in posting. I know I'd get a few IM's which I would reply to but I didn't think that anyone might've thought something happened to me.

As far as instructions, no I don't have those. I told my DF a while back that I used to read a weight loss message board (this was before I came back again), and then I told him recently that I've been reading a weight loss message board. I didn't mention anything more than that. I also told him I won a pedometer (which I just got) but I didn't mention the book. I'm thinking I'll actually show him the book some time soon. I know it sounds weird to me but I like being quasi anonymous. If I knew my DF or someone else I knew could read my messages, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable. I'm a bit strange though and I admit it

I do think of friends here as real friends though and even more than that. My real friends aren't as supportive as people I know here
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #12  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

My husband would come here and tell my group if something happened to me. We have been posting on the same thread for 4 years now so we are really close. I have met one of the girls and talked to several others on the phone. A few years ago I got salmonella poisoning and I was so sick that I couldnt get on to tell anyone for a few days so my daughter posted to let everyone know what was going on.

We have had girls come and go and I always wonder what happened to them. I hope they are okay.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My DH and DD both know I post here. They would come here and post if anything ever happened to me. A few weeks ago, I was missing for 4 or 5 days while we had ordered a new CPU and I came back with noticing posts of I "wonder where Lily has went". I guess that's because my life is so exciting (NOT) and I'm here usually everyday.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #14  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Nelie I know what you mean. I feel like this is my "Oasis". Its a place to come too that is just for me and like you I don't think I could post as comfortably as I do now knowing someone that knows me was here reading all my posts. So I understand that.

But my husband knows that I post here, he doesn't read my messages, but he does know about it at least.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
My DH and DD both know I post here. They would come here and post if anything ever happened to me. A few weeks ago, I was missing for 4 or 5 days while we had ordered a new CPU and I came back with noticing posts of I "wonder where Lily has went". I guess that's because my life is so exciting (NOT) and I'm here usually everyday.
Totally OT, but can someone please tell me what DH, DD, DF mean??? I'm assuming it's husband or something, but I really have no idea.

Also, I have no online instructions for anyone. But I do have a "death packet." If something happens to me, I have specific details about my urn, cremation, funeral service, life insurance policies, bank accounts - everything! I have decided to make it very easy and stress free on my family in the event something happens to me. Also, why should they have to foot the bill for everything when I die?
Closed Thread