General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #1  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Default calling all dog lovers.......need advice, please!!!

listen to this.....at 5am this morning, my dog was acting VERY STRANGE!!! She was getting up and lying down OVER AND OVER AGAIN. This is very weird as she sleeps in a basket and once she's out for the night, I don't hear her again until I get up and she know's.....oh I get up now. Anyway, her repeated up and down woke me up and I thought, hmm, maybe she has to go outside. Initially she wouldn't leave the bedroom and then she followed me outside. She went pee (and so did I) and then when I went to let her in., I COULDN'T FIND HER!!! 5 am and its pitch dark, I turned on the outside light....no dog. I got a flash light....no dog. Gates are closed and all is quiet. Luckily I noticed a bit of movement (I thought a rabbit) under a huge bush. And here's my dog, curled up under it and wouldn't come out. She has NEVER DONE this before, and usually hates being outside without one of the family. So after 15 min, I left her there. Got up at 7 to check on her....she still won't come out from the bush!!! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???She's not shaking (scared) she's not whining (hurt).....my 12 yo son is crying that something might be wrong with her..... Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but something IS wrong with her. When animals are sick, they sometimes go and hide. Get her to the vet as soon as you can. Let me know what happens. (If you still lived near me, I'd go get her myself!)
Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #3  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I agree with Ruthxxx. Get her to the vet ASAP. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #4  
susanb1960

S/C/G: not sure yet

Unfortunately I agree...please let us know how she is after y ou bring her to the vet!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #5  

Yes, definitely take her to the vet.

Sorry to ask this...but is she pregnant?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, this dog needs to be seen by a vet. Animals will hide their illnesses, it's instinct from suvival of the fittest. Whenever an animal starts to act differently, something is wrong.

It could be nothing more than an upset tummy but doggie needs to be seen.

Drag em out from under the bush, gently of course and take a ride to the vets office, it can't hurt!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Ohh Angel-eyes!!

I hope it was something minor? I agree with the others, something is wrong.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #8  

****waits patiently to find out if the dog is OK.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #9  
Determined

Is your dog ok? I'm so worried for her. Let us know. Thoughts are with you till then. (:
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #10  
soon to be goddess

Thankyou thankyou!!!... for all the replies about our dog.......she is okay. It was the weirdest thing!!! Shortly after writing that post about the her, she was coaxed inside and although very quiet and subdued for the morning; was her normal self for the rest of the day. She was never very far from me and I took her for a nice long walk about 2pm and she was great. I hope that it was a one time deal. If it had continued longer, no doubt about it.....I would have taken her to the vets for sure. Thanks for all the concern and support. We love her so much and are so glad she's okay.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am glad to hear she's OK. My dog will act strange if she gets a tummy ache. Sometimes from my DH or DD feeding her a bite of "human" food. I have told them not to do this. Then she'll try to stay outside, even though she normally stays in.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #12  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I'm replying to your post a bit late, but I'm VERY glad she's okay!!! And I agree with everyone else that those signs are definitely indications she needs to get to a vet (if she starts doing it again).

This part especially scared the former vet tech in me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel-eyes View Post
She was getting up and lying down OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
If she (or anyone ELSE'S dog) is ever doing this AND drooling/trying to vomit at the same time (but not able to) she needs to get to a vet ASAP -- especially if she's a big-chested breed like a Dobie, Basset, Lab, Great Dane, German Shepherd, etc. -- because that kind of restlessness is one of the first signs of bloat (or "gastric tortion") which is generally fatal within 24 hours if the dog isn't seen by a vet.

I don't want to sound dramatic because OBVIOUSLY this isn't the case with your dog as she is fine now, but I just thought I'd add a little public service announcement to the thread. While working as a tech, I saw a few dogs whose owners ignored these early signs and didn't bring their dogs in until it was too late to save them.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #13  
soon to be goddess

THANKYOU....lovesbassets!!!! I will definitely be on the lookout for that again if it happens. Anytime you want to do a public service anouncement on the behalf of dogs or cats....FEEL FREE. Everyone has been so helpful and caring with regards to my pet.
Closed Thread