Carb Counters - Weekly Chat 9/18-24

View Full Version : Weekly Chat 9/18-24

lady_adnerb
09-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Well, ate junk again last night. But I feel ok. Not bloated. Doesn't mean I'm going to continue doing that--just means I'm not feeling sick from it. I DEFINITELY have to watch things. I should be taking advantage of not being hungry to downsize my portion sizes. Mind games again--self sabotage I think. With the "P" pills I have to make sure to drink more water...so that's on the agenda today. Scale was down again. Just decided to mess w/my head on WI day :lol:

Lily, You mentioned the shakes.....they're not that bad. I prefer the advantage shakes. They're better. DH likes them both and will drink them for breakfast.

RobinW
09-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Good Morning :sunny:

Brenda, the scale is moving in the right direction for you!!

Ive got another 2lbs gone....so its working! :lol: I have to search back and see when I started induction. I forget.

Lots to do today, we bought a new computer yesterday....Dell xps 4G, duo processor....its gonna go fast like crazy :lol: It will be a couple weeks before it gets here, but that gives us time to get stuff downloaded and ready for the move to the new pc. Im excited, its going to be nice to work on several very large programs at once, and not have the pc freeze up and need rebooting :D So, theres that, and some signs to work on...then its out for a walk on this beautiful day.

Have a great day ladies!

lilybelle
09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Brenda, I'm glad the scale is going down for you. I was upset yesterday that mine was up 3 lbs. This morning it's back down the 3 lbs. I know it must have been just water and constipation. I feel better just seeing it go back down. I drank all my water yesterday for the first time in a long time. I will continue to do this, it seems to help.
Robin, WTG on the 2 lbs. that is great. Congrat's on the new CPU. We bought one recently and I love it. Especially love having the high-speed internet and not having to re-boot all the time.

KnicKnac
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi ya'll! I was invited to join in here on the weekly chat. Today is my first day of induction. Even tho I am using FitDay I am not going to freak about the calorie input during induction. I know my eating habits will change, they have before, I just gotta give it time.

It's all a mind game isn't it?!

This board moves incredibly FAST - I think I may just make this forum my home for a little while until I get my feet wet...

RobinW
09-18-2006, 12:09 PM
:wave: KnicKnac

lilybelle
09-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Welcome Knicknak, glad you joined us. I normally don't worry at all about my calories, only carbs and this works for me.

Sonnet
09-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi all and weclome to all the people who have just joined 3FC! :coffee: I plan on checking in daily again. It helps me stay OP.

KnicKnac, This is a great place to call home. I haven't counted calories at all, just carbs.

Brenda, That's such good news your scale is moving. :carrot:

Robin, two pounds! Alright!!

lilybelle, I had that happen a few days ago. I started to freak I was up a few pounds. Then I remembered I had over salted my eggs and then my meat for dinner. So I quit using it. It went down. I used salt again, up again. That comfirmed mine it water.

I'm cleaning mold off windows today, so we can paint. This will probably take about 4 days. I love to paint, but hate that mold. :devil:

Have a great day everyone.

beach bum
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Ladies :)

I started the Atkins diet about a month ago and I lost a total of 6 lbs.I like to continue losing my last 11 lbs to goal and than beyond. Hoping its Ok for me to post here & on the daily. I was originally on the South Beach of this forum and it didn't work after Phase 1.their[Induction]Once adding bread carbs I started to gain.

Lost a pound this week low carbing. My doctor just called and told me since I've been low carbing my cholestrol #'s blumaged downward. I'm so pleased to hear the great news. Now I know what my balance is. He told me I'm very sensitive to bread/grain carbs and if I want to continue to have great #'s along with my weight going down I have to follow this trend.

I also joined your Sept exercising thread.

Have a nice afternoon

Hugs :)BB

StarPrincess
09-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey my long-lost darlings! How is everyone? I haven't been on here in ages and just wanted to say hi. Hope all is going well!

mealybug
09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Welcome Knick knack and beachbum!!

So far having a good day of packing and staying on plan. For teh last two days though Ive have been curiously tired and headachy.. feels a bit like my first couple of days on induction. I think it was due to eating out over teh weekend where I tried to stay on plan but I didnt know if anything I ordered could have had secret carbs..like flour or cornstarch added to cheesy sauces...
Im looking forward to wednesday becasue Id be done with induction and I get to weigh in.. see if the past two weeks have helped. I certainly dont feel like I lost weight.. I feel a bit bloated though my TOM is over.
I have tried teh atkins advantage shakes..I didnt like the chocolate but I loved the vanilla.. trying to stay off them for now though since I read from brenda's post that they affect her weight loss. I will try them again later on perhaps.. its really convenient when I cant think of something to eat.
have a great week everyone!!

Sonnet
09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
:welcome3: beach bum. Congratulations on your 6 pound loss. I know how good it feels. And congrats on your cholestrol low #'s. :carrot:

StarPrincess, Hey! Good to hear from you! How have you been?

hi mealybug, I hope you feel better soon. I used to put corn starch in sauces, so you're probably right there. Last time on Atkins', I used a lot of drinks and bars and did great with no problems. This time, I've had 2 Atkins drinks so far. They are handy for me when I am away from home, so I'm glad I'm able to use them with no problems, and hope they work for you too. :)

beach bum
09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Thanks for the welcome,hope I will be able to continue this WOE for awhile.I guess it takes some getting used to,even though I don't feel hungry on this diet like I did with the good carb good fat diet. The carbs were the problem,and thats why my doctor suggested LOW CARBING.

I had a revolution roll this morning and it wasn't bad tasting. I made 8 rolls from a recipe I got from the Atkins web site.

Mealybug-Hope your feeling better. I love the Atkins shakes thats the only thing that keeps me from reaching for the wrong snacks.I usually have it around 9PM,and it has helped. I'm going to use the Atkins Advantage Morning Bars[Chocolate Chip Crisp]as a cold cereal,by breaking and crushing the bar a little and putting into a bowl with a some cream.

Sonnet-Doctor was excited too with my numbers as they we up for quite a while and he had to put me on meds. Maybe hopefully by the time I go again in 6 months I can say good-bye to those meds.

Hugs :) BB

RobinW
09-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Good Morning :sunny:

Well, the camel breath has settled in, and making dh take notice!! :lol: He wanted to know what was wrong with me, I was breathing bad breath thru my nose, and told me to go brush, floss and mouth wash :lol: So, Id say I was deep into ketosis! So, Im going to double my water intake today and see if that helps swoosh some of that bad stuff out of me.

If you are sugar sensitive like me...DO NOT marinate your buffalo steaks in red wine!! :T Man they were good, but I ate a very large meal last night, and by 8pm I was looking to stuff my face again. There should have been absolutely no way I should have been hungry!!!! I fought the sugar monsters all evening because of it. So...lesson learned :dizzy:

Im not sitting in a good place in my head. Ive been beating myself up for letting myself get this fat. Even with the 23 lbs gone that I had put on over the summer, I know I should have never let it get this far, and I know I have another 20lbs to go before I reach where I started from in July. It just makes me mad that I did this to myself. Then I get the "what the ****" attitude, and start looking for sweets. I need to quit thinking like this, and just move foward......quit looking back.

Im off for a walk before it decides to rain. Have a great day ladies.

lilybelle
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Robin, please don't beat yourself up. None of us should have let ourselves get like this to start with. That is why we're here. Good job at getting back in ketosis. I definitely know about the "camel breath", mine does the same thing. Try to stay positive and look to the future. There's nothing we can do about the past, it happened. Hugs to you.

mealybug
09-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi all
well I finished my 14 days today..It is great to have finished something that I started and to have stuck to it to my best ability.
but sadly when I weighted in I fouund that I was actually half pound heavier than when I started!!!! :(
How is that possible. I stuck to the diet exactly except maybe on two occasions where I tried to stick to it but maybe there was a minor amount of secret carbs in food I ate out.
I am relaly very dissapoint and feeling like there is no point to sticking to it. Not only becasue I didnt lose any weight but also because this probably means I am extra resistant to losing fat and cutting carbs isnt going to help me. I really feel horrible.
I had promised myself I could have a offplan dessert if I made it thru induction and lost at least 2 pounds.. I didnt but Im going to have my treat anyway.. It was a tough 2 weeks and now I feel like I need my treat even more

RobinW
09-19-2006, 06:31 PM
mealy, were you eating the atkins bars and shakes? Were you drinking all your water? There has to be something!

Pls post a sample of your daily intake of food, and we'll see if we can find something that might have done this.

lilybelle
09-20-2006, 02:06 AM
mealy, sorry to hear of your disappointment. Maybe you have retained a lot of water and will see a loss soon. I'm wishing the best for you.

KnicKnac
09-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi there, just me checking in again. I think I had a bad first weigh in - after getting on the scale yesterday and gaining 4.5 pounds in one day I decided to weigh others in my family - luckily one of our children just had a doctor's visit a few days ago so I knew what he weighed and it wasn't even close to what was on the scale, in fact, everyone's was way off.

So I went out and bought a new scale yesterday and I am going to use today's weight as my beginning weight. It was 232.5 - I can live with that. I thought the 230 was way too light for the way my clothes were fitting!

Doing aok on induction, altho maybe I should call it "modified" induction. I know what I need to do to lose weight, have done it once before and I am making this my WOL this time so I allowed myself some light beer on Monday - of course, taking into account the carbs, and did ok.

Am enjoying getting to know you all better thru posts.

Thanks for letting me join you!

needtolose4me2
09-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Knicknac - How disappointing that must have been. Good move to check the scale!As long as your doing well with the induction or modified induction, it should start moving down. I know what you mean about modifying your induction. I started off with regular induction and decided to modify it a bit. However, my weightlos slowed so much it wasn't worth it for me. I went back on to full induction for the next few months and now that I'm in the final stretch I modified it a bit to start to get used to how my eating will be in the furture. so it's slower but thats ok now!

lady_adnerb
09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Robin: Hopefully you've managed to "contain" the camel breath. :) But WTG on the new resolve :)

Lily: Qustion: If the therapy for your ankle isn't helping why do you still have to go?

Mealy: I agree with the others. There has to be something that you've eaten or are eating that's stalling the weight loss. As well as....are you getting the water you're suppose to be drinking? How about exercise--anything new there that might halt it?

Knic: glad you found out it was the scale and nothing else. Bet that was a relief :)

Well, I'm still OP. And still having to force myself to eat. I didn't eat much yesterday. Ended up with a MONSTER headache that made me sick to my stomach. Not sure why. But was pleased when I stepped on the scale and it has gone down even more. WAHOO!!! I can't wait for WI time!! TOM has decided it wants to take it's time getting here. Hopefully it waits until AFTER WI so I can have a nice one :lol: Off to go drink more water :)

RobinW
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Good Morning :coffee:

Brenda~ yup, doubleing up on my water fixed it :lol: Hubby even said so :lol: WTG on the scale going down!! Those pills dont do a thing for my dh's appetite!!

Lily~ Thanks, your words yesterday helped. I made it thru the day :whoo:

KK~ sounds like your doing good, keep it up!

If I remember correctly, ketosis comes with sleepyness right? I might have to go look this one up. Because Ive been wiped right out by suppertime. I have bounds and bounds of energy all day, but when Im done eating supper, Im pooped! It took real effort to stay awake last night to watch the season premier of The Unit! Even dh commented on how fast I went to sleep last night :lol:

Im feeling a bit better today, I think its time to either add to my walk, or add something else to my day as far as exercise. My pants dont seem to be getting any looser kwim?

Dh is home with me today, so Im off to enjoy my company ....have a great day ladies.

beach bum
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM

Nothing new to report,we were going out to the Mall to pick up a humidifier for Leo breathing. The air in the house is getting too dry and hes coughing again when waking up.Doctor suggested a humidifier.But we're staying home with all the bad weather we're having.The sun is out ,but it suppose to rain again. What a down pour we had last night. '

Do you need the ketosis sticks that the Atkins books talk about in order to succeed in the WOE????????Just curious.

Hope you all have a great morning will be back later

Hugs :)BB

lilybelle
09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone, hope it's a great day for all.

Brenda, the reason I have to still go to PT is to try to prevent heel cord from shortening even more than it already has. From what they have said, this would be extremely painful. I am being diligent with my home PT exercises too. I sure don't want any pain.
Robin, glad to see the water is helping you. I am charting mine on chart on fridge now and it's making a great difference for me. I had gotten very lax on my water. Plus wasn't journaling my coffee creamer. I'm back full force now and down another lb. to 140 this morning. This gives me back my 5 lb. range that I wanted to stay in.
KK it sounds like you are doing great.
BB, I have never used the Ketostrips, they arent' available in the podunk area that I live in. I went mostly by how nasty my breath was to judge when I was in Ketosis.
I am eating so on-program that it feels like induction all over again. The most carbs I have had in any one day since Saturday was 19.

beach bum
09-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone, hope it's a great day for all.

BB, I have never used the Ketostrips, they arent' available in the podunk area that I live in. I went mostly by how nasty my breath was to judge when I was in Ketosis.
I am eating so on-program that it feels like induction all over again. The most carbs I have had in any one day since Saturday was 19.

Hi Lilly:)

Now I understand when I read posts saying there eating breath mints.I guess I'm not in ketosis yet. How long does it take after you leave induction????????

lilybelle
09-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi, for me it always takes about 48 hrs. of being less than 20 carbs to get into Ketosis with the smelly breath and bad taste in my mouth. I use a lot of mouthwash and sugar-free mints.

lady_adnerb
09-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Robin: I thought ketosis brought on the energy--not the tiredness. Thought that was the carb withdrawal. I could be wrong though. Hopefully whatever is making you tired doesn't stay around long.

BB: I've never used the strips. Figured I was either going to lose weight or not. And figured at least I was eating healthier :)

Lily: WTG on getting back where you wanted to be. And I never knew so much could go wrong with a foot/ankle!

Yesterday I didn't get enough water in. I could tell by how hungry I was--and how thirsty. :lol: Instead of drinking water I drank more soda's. That'll teach me! TOM has decided to arrive and so has the increase in the scale. But I'm not worried about it as I know it's TOM related and I've been good as gold with being OP :)

RobinW
09-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Good Morning

BB~ I used them a very long time ago, but I dont bother with them anymore. This time its taken me a full 2 weeks to get this bad breath(and into ketosis). But man, its bad, and I even have the body odor this time :( So im guzzling water to keep all the odors at bay. So far so good. Hubby only commented on my breath once last night! ;)

Brenda~ I didnt know energy was suppose to come with ketosis. Well, I can tell you that Im full of energy during the day, and my workouts are actually easy....even when I push the intensisty. I still have energy to spare. But wow, I crash after supper :lol:

Lily~ Im so proud of you! WTG getting back into your 5lb comfort zone!

Well, yesterday I started an attempt at a Blog. I need some place to journal everything, and I dont really want to do it here, so I started up a place of my own. Drop in and say hi if you like, its kind of a lonely place so far :lol:

Lots of sign stuff to do today, and the sun is shining....so it looks like its going to be a good day today.

Have a great day ladies.

beach bum
09-21-2006, 09:10 AM

Woke up to the coolness of the morning. We took all the a/c out of the windows and now we have a cross ventulation,good sleeping weather amongst us.

Today we're going out to the mall to pick up a humidifier for Leo breathing problem.We're going to be putting the heat on soon,and the air will be too dry for him.

Have to get ready to go to the Mall will post later

KnicKnac
09-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Good morning one and all! Thanks for working with me on the whole "modified" induction thing. It's working for me as I lost 2.5 pounds overnight, and that is on my NEW scale! WOO HOO

Ok. So I know it is all water weight!!! It's ok...I will deal with losing any type of weight. This weekend I am going to MAKE my hubby buy me an elliptical. I need to exercise and I am SO not into the whole outside where there is bugs carrying West Nile Virus thing so inside is my speed!!!

4th day on modified induction - I didn't realize it until I started putting things in Fitday again how already I need to UP my carbs. This is what happened to me the last time I did Atkins...Once I get past the cravings of bread, sweets and chips, I am very content on meat, eggs and cheese. I have added veggies but not like I should. So starting today, I am making a concerted effort in getting my carbs up with some good veggies/fiber!!!

Wish me luck!

BTW - had the killer monster headache/flu feeling last night...right on cue, third day. Today!!! Feeling great, feeling fine!!!

BTW - 2 ~ I use WAY too many exclamation points!!!

mealybug
09-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Well I decided to continue to do induction for another week... starting today..yesterday I allowed myself a nice slice of offplan cake, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I t was very very hard not to eat a second slice and today the rest of teh cake is staring me in teh face when I open the fridge... but my willpower has imporved a lot and I dont think it will be an issue.

Here is a general idea of my daily diet

breakfast:
2 eggs veggie omelette fried in butter
decaf coffee with heavy cream (I do use a lot of cream so that could be a culprit)
a chunk of cheese or cream cheese if Im still hungry

Lunch : usually late becasue Im not hungry till about 3pm
5 slices of ham or turkey breast dipped in mayo
decaf tea or coffe with cream

Dinner : Ive generally not been hungry for any dinner so I just have something small
maybe a veggie burger witha lot of cheese melted on top
or a few more slices of ham with mayo

I do tend to snack a lot becasue if I feel any kind of cravings I rather eat something on plan than get too crazy and grab a muffin or something like that
I have been eating almonds (a handful or 2 per day) or cheese as snacks. I just read kittyglitter's post about nuts and everybod's response to that.I had no idea that nuts were offplan. I read the nutritional info and almonds only have 1 net carb per ounce. But maybe that is a problem there too.
Also I have been counting only net carbs (minusing fibre) to keep under 20 g carbs. Does everyone do that or is that wrong??
Im still confused why the diet isnt working for me. I havent been excercising which I will start maybe today. It is really hard to motivate myself to excercise..I relaly hate it but I will do what I have to do... :(

RobinW
09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
mealy, where are the veggies in your day? I suspect the reason you havent lost is the cheese, cream and other high fats(in high quantities). You should be getting most of your carbs from veggies. I find if you are hungry after eating your 20carbs worth for the day, then bump up the fat intake with something like bacon, or an egg, or even another piece of chicken.

Hope that helped a bit........oh, and are you drinking your water?

lilybelle
09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
mealybug, I'm glad you are giving it another shot. It really does work well. Don't worry much, the weight will come off. My only recommendation on your plan would be to try to eat more protein that isn't processed such as beef, pork , chicken and such. Processed foods contain so much sodium and make you retain fluid. Wishing you the best.
WTG Brenda on eating on program.
KK, I have noticed the same thing with me, sometimes I look back on my journal and see I'm eating almost nothing but meat, eggs and cheese. There were days I had like 7 total carbs and felt fine, but it didn't help me lose any quicker.
Robin, good luck on the blog.

Well, I'm off to sit all day at SS office to get a new card for my DD, she lost hers.

beach bum
09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Ladies we're back from the mall,found & bought a humidfier for little over $100. We have a small home so it should be able to do what its expected to.
Bring moisure in the air for my DH to be able to breath better.

I have an NSV today, an outfit that I couldn't get into last month fits a like a tee this morning. :cb:YIPEEEEEEEE!!! :cb:Can't believe what low carbing is doing for me to get down to another size. Don't feel like I need the wicked scale anymore to tell me that I'm suceeding in this WOE.

Thanks Ladies Looking forward to getting into ketosis :lol3: but I don't think my DH will.

Have a nice one

needtolose4me2
09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Beach Bum - Congrats! Isn't that the best feeling??
I just love to be able to go shopping and find things that actually fit! Itmakes it so worth it.

Hello to everyone else. Hope everyone is doing well! I'm super tired today and can't wait to go to bed. I think I have to figure out some viatmins to take again. I kind of slacked off on that and now I don't remember what I was taking! But boy , I feel it.
I haven't weighed in a week and a half. Sundays the big day. I'm nervous. I'm going to be so disappointed if the scale doesn't move because as of last week my inches weren't moving either! YIKES!
Have a good night.
Maggie

lilybelle
09-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Hi everyone, I'm back after 2 long trips to SS office to get a replacement card for my DD. To say the least it was to no avail. I'll be there again tomorrow. They might as well have just said "bend over" and a thank you would have been nice.( I went into detail on all this in the maintenance thread if anyone cares to know what happened).
Yes, I did a little stress eating tonite. Shared a dessert with my DH. The mood I was in it's a wonder I didn't do worse. Hope everyone else had a better day or at least handled it better than I did.

RobinW
09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Good Morning

Lily~ you have your 5lb cushion back, so a little dessert shouldnt hurt.

Im still op!! and have been sugar free for 17 days :cb: :cb: Im exercising, and trying not to beat myself up so much. Yesterday was a crappy day....I have to remember to look forward, and not back!

Have a great day ladies!

beach bum
09-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Its coooooooooooooold!!!Up here hubby didn't want to put the heat up,but I happy its good sleeping weather. Got up around 7AM for two days in a row,where in the summer I get up around 6 when the birdys do the thing[singing].Now that they're heading south I can sleep in later.

I love this WOE , keeping my meals low carb,'s working wore an outfut I couldn't get into last month. Lost inches along with weight loss.I'm really a happy camper.

Have to go,will post later after I get back from my singing group.

lady_adnerb
09-22-2006, 09:12 AM
It's raining out and I'm super tired today. I might have to take a nap as tonight's going to be another long night. Had a GS meeting with youngest DD's leader last night. Parents only---only 2 parents (I was one!) showed up. And I am SO proud of myself--I didn't volunteer to be co-leader!! WAHOO! I did volunteer to help out once in a while. But I'm not responsible for the rest of the time. It's an AWESOME feeling!! Anyway, eating is OP and I even think I got my water in yesterday. Today (after I take a nap) I have to go do some shopping. The cubboards are getting bare. :wave: have a great weekend everyone!

mealybug
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
mealybug, I'm glad you are giving it another shot. It really does work well. Don't worry much, the weight will come off. My only recommendation on your plan would be to try to eat more protein that isn't processed such as beef, pork , chicken and such. Processed foods contain so much sodium and make you retain fluid. Wishing you the best.
quote]

[quote=RobinW;1413725]mealy, where are the veggies in your day? I suspect the reason you havent lost is the cheese, cream and other high fats(in high quantities). You should be getting most of your carbs from veggies. I find if you are hungry after eating your 20carbs worth for the day, then bump up the fat intake with something like bacon, or an egg, or even another piece of chicken.

Hope that helped a bit........oh, and are you drinking your water?

Thanks for the input Robin and Lilybelle,
Im trying to cut down on my deli meats because of the high sodium... but it makes the diet even harder becasue that means I have to actually cook stuff for each meal. The deli meat made it easy becasue I just pull it out of the fridge, spoon out some mayo and I was done! Especially if I was really hungry and just needed a quick eat.
I do sometimes have a small salad as my carbs for the day but it get boring eating the same stuff every day. SO other days I have nuts as my carbs or any other thing that adds up to 20g but not any kind of simple carbs. Though I guess some things might have 1g sugar as part of teh natural carbs... like the atkins shakes... though I havent had those in at least a week!
I would like to find out from other people.... Do you count just net carbs to add up to 20g or total carbs??
This confuses me... so far I have been counting just net carbs and eating stuff with lots of fibreand just like 1-5 net carbs.
I think cream is also tricky becasue it says 0g carbs but atkins book said that it has 0.4g per tbsp..I had been using that very liberally but now I try to control it.
Also Robin, you said that maybe I havent been losing becasue of the cheese and other high fats... but atkins book said that you should eat a high ratio of fats to carbs.. higher fats than even protein on induction because 50% of protein can be turned into glucose in ur body but only 10% of fats turn to glucose.
Well right now Im jsut trying to figure out what types of things I should eat..whether I should cut my carbs even more..like to 10g per day... or what I will do a week from now if I still havent lost any weight...
Trying to keep going though!
Thanks for the advice!!
have a good day everyone!

RobinW
09-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Also Robin, you said that maybe I havent been losing becasue of the cheese and other high fats... but atkins book said that you should eat a high ratio of fats to carbs.. higher fats than even protein on induction because 50% of protein can be turned into glucose in ur body but only 10% of fats turn to glucose.
To be honest, I got the impression you are eating a whole lot of fat, without any other type of foods. Yes you should be eating your fats, but also your protein....and good carbs. I dont know about others, but I have never had an issue with eating too much protein. (and Im a serious sugar addict....if it effected me, Id know)

I dont know how you can live on lunch meat :lol: Id be starved!! How about those precooked (hot)chickens at the grocery store...they are $4.99 each here. Thats great for picking apart and eating that for a few days. As for salad, I hate the stuff, and Id much rather eat broccoli, or green beans. Do you have a microwave? Buy some frozen veggies, nuke em when you have your meal, and toss a pat of butter ontop...I love them like this. Even over induldge in the butter on my green beans! :T

I really think that if you cut out your lunch meats completely you will see a big difference.

As far as counting, when I first did atkins I counted 20 carbs total, and didnt take into count the fibre. Now, I count net carbs....because I know how important that fibre is! :eek: However, I am off induction, and I am not counting at all.....I keep to my lower carb veggies and protein along with my exercise. Im still loosing....I'll go back to counting when I quit loosing or want to add berries or something like that.

Another thought....I have to keep my cheese intake to no more that 2 oz a day....otherwise, the weight stops coming off.

I have found that this diet works so differently for so many other ppl. So things that effect me (like cheese) might not effect someone else. Bumping up my veggie carbs hasnt slowed down my weightloss, but adding berries or lc breads stops it in its tracks. Unfortunately you are finding troubles before you even loose your first lb. Hopefully this will help you iron out some of the problems.

lilybelle
09-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Robin,, WTG on the sugar-free for 17 days. I'm now only sugar free for about 20 hrs. My weight is the same today, so that is good. Will try to hit the water drinking tonite. Haven't eaten off program today at all.
Yeah, my DD now has a bank account and her SS card is on the way. I feel such relief. I am going to relax and watch a movie this evening.
BB, I am glad you like this way of eating. It sounds like you're adjusting to it great.
Mealybug, I'm glad you're giving it a little more time. I understand where Robin is coming from on the "fats". I did have to cut back on the fats too because it was actually a lot more fat than my body was used to getting. Avoiding most processed meats and such does make this woe more difficult because it means a lot of salad or a lot of cooking. I found the same to be true. I have salad most days for lunch. Almost always a green veggie and small salad with my dinner. Eggs practically every day. It certainly isn't an easy way to eat out, esp. at fast food places. I always go by the net carbs, I'm not sure how everyone else does it.

beach bum
09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Ladies:)

Another weekend upon us.Hope you all have a fab one. Couldn't post this morning as I was singing with my choir group at a 50th aniversary mass. Now it raining :rain:and the walking along the beach idea is out. Hubby is watching football so I can use my exercising tapes either. I guess:shrug: its my trusty stationery bike:ebike: will have to do.

Just bought an Atkins for Life book at our local odd job lot store. It has a menu planner with the carb count next to the item & some neat recipes that I'm always interested in. After a while you run out of ideas:idea: of what to have for the same meals everyday.

Lily-Thanks :thanks:I hope I will be able to continue this new challenge of mine.Not that it burns:flame: off months down the line. Like I did with other diets.

Maggie-Thanks:thanks: It does feel great when clothes start to fit. See the old tape measure is just as good as the old:goodscale: scale

Have a nice one

RobinW
09-23-2006, 01:52 PM
:wave:

lilybelle
09-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone. Hope your weekend is going good. Not much happening here. Rainy day, perfect for doing laundry and house work.
BB, I have the Atkins For Life book too, the going up higher on carbs doesn't help me maintain now that my exercise is down with the injured ankle. Like most everyone here, I still get 20-25 carbs for now. I'm OK with this and still feel like I get enough food.

beach bum
09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes I see what you me Lily,the meal plnner in the back of the book start with 45grs. Don't intend to go that high. I'm on 25 right now and your correct I'm not starving on that amount of carbs.either.

lady_adnerb
09-23-2006, 10:18 PM
WI was awesome. I'm down 5 pounds. Now the trick is to continue losing instead of messing myself up. Went tromping through the woods today--in the rain. It wasn't raining when we got there. Didn't start until we were on our way into the woods. By the time we got done we were soaked and cold. I was SOOO tempted to take DH up on his offer to order pizza. But I knew that would mess me up. So I made taco meat and just threw some veggies in with it. Then I gave my DD a perm. So was on my feet a lot today. Hoping to make another good week next week. At this rate I'd love to be in the 140's by Christmas!!! That would be SOOO awesome!! Well, time to head to bed...had a long night with the teens from our church last night. *yawn* not used to late nights. Have a great weekend everyone!

lilybelle
09-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Brenda , that is so awesome. I am thrilled that you are seeing success with that darn scale. WTG. I just know you will see those 140's by Christmas. Congrat's.

beach bum
09-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Good Sunday Morning Ladies:)

We were suppost to ge the thunder:rain: storms but we didn't get them,must have blown out to sea.

Well another W-I day:goodscale: and I lost another 1 lb.Bringing me down to my last 10-lbs.Thats 6 lbs in 1 1/2 months. I take:yes: that.Hope I don't go up again,but with adding carbs backs slowly with only a 5 gr per week is working.

Have to get ready for church will post later.

RobinW
09-24-2006, 09:02 AM
WTG Brenda!! :cheer: :cb:

lilybelle
09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Hope everyone is having a great Sunday. I went and visited relatives all day. Last night me and my DD went to the movies, it's been a pleasant weekend.

needtolose4me2
09-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Way to go Brenda! 5 lbs is awesome!

BB - Thats great! I'd take that!
Unfortunately I have had yet another week of NOTHING! I have been bouncing between 151 and 154 for 6 weeks. I just can't seem to reach the 140's it's killing me!

But I'll keep at it. Maybe I better switch things up a bit. change my menu and exercise schedule or something. I;m running out of ideas!

Maggie

lilybelle
09-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Maggie, do you remember watching me when I was down to 157 and was trying so hard to get to 145. Those last 12 lbs. were a killer. I thought they would never go, but they finally did. It took quite a few months to get them off and was the most difficult part of my weight loss. I was frustrated beyond belief. Being extra careful with eating and exercising like crazy. I fully understand how difficult it is when the body says "no, I'm happy where I'm
at". Like mine, yours will eventually come off too. Hang in there and try not to get too disappointed, it's a natural occurence. I found that what worked best for me, was that in the end, although I stayed low-carb, I cut back on the fat grams too. Used leaner choices of meat, left off the butter, didn't fry my eggs and cut back on the cheese. You are probably already doing all this. I also changed up my exercise and added jumping rope. I can remember just begging to see 149 at least once and thinking "it's not going to happen". But, it did and you will get there.

needtolose4me2
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
lilybelle - I do remember! That's what keeps me going! Otherwise I think I would have thrown in the towel already. At least this way I know it 'isn't me".
Thanks for the advice. I've been changing me carbs around but haven't thought about the fat. I really eat only chicken, turkey and fish but Iknow I can cut back on the butter and cheese! I'll try to work that in! Thanks for the pick-me-up!
Maggie