General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Dog Food Help?

I've found a good quality dog food that my dogs really like, but I can't find it in any stores anywhere. The only place I've found it (after doing much research on dog foods to find something premium - I don't like giving them that crap you buy in grocery stores) is on Amazon.com. I was wondering if anyone else uses this food and if any of you know of any stores (I'm in the U.S. in Ohio) that carry it. Here's a pic of the food, it's the Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. I use the reduced calorie formula because I have two Dachshund's and you have to watch a Doxie's weight very carefully.

I could continue to order it from Amazon, but the shipping is killing me! A 5-pound bag of this stuff, because of the shipping, is $17. I'd really like to find a place that sells this food so I don't have to pay shipping costs, but I haven't found anyone that carries it, not even Petsmart. Or at least Petsmart online doesn't have it, I should probably just call my local store.

Thanks for any info
Old 09-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I would call a local store see if they can get it for. Or order more at a time from Amazon, if you spend some much isn't shipping free?

This is from woofboard.com - it helps find good dogs foods.

there's a grading system for ingredients, and then a list of popular dog food so you can see how what you're feeding rates...

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâ?Ts rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D

69 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

As you can see the food you have been feeding has a very very high score (or pretty high anyway, the score doesnt vary a bit within brands and different lines - your exact one isnt there). Perhaps you can find something similar in score and change if you cant find it locally. I feed Keiko Nutro Natural - I was actually suprised how low the score was. I wanted to switch but she is doing well on it and dont want to screw her up.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I would call a local store see if they can get it for. Or order more at a time from Amazon, if you spend some much isn't shipping free?
Only on certain items. Dog food doesn't count, unfortunately, and the more you buy, the more they charge for shipping.

Hey thanks for that scorecard on the dog food, that really helps. I'm glad to see the food I'm using is good quality stuff. I've tried the Nutro but had to discontinue it because for some odd reason it made both of my dogs sick.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Hey thanks for that scorecard on the dog food, that really helps. I'm glad to see the food I'm using is good quality stuff. I've tried the Nutro but had to discontinue it because for some odd reason it made both of my dogs sick.
I had that problem with the first flavour of nutro I tried so I tried a different flavour (with no lamb!) and she is doing great. I found out tho she has a sensitive tummy, different treats make her sick too. Thats why I am worried about switching her to a better food. The better foods usually have varied protien sources (so chicken, lamb, and fish or something) and I think that would definatly be hard on her tummy. I hope to leave her on the nutro for a little while and then perhaps switch to something better.

I have see that food you little local stores her but not the big ones. You best chance to get it is to call some weird local store. If you cant find it in your town try a town that is close by and you will probably find it cheaper on gas to drive a little ways then order it.

Good luck
Old 09-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #5  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

Hi Linda,
I live in a fairly small town, so periodically run into problems finding products. I've found that calling the company and asking them for distributors in my area usually has good results. According to their web site, you can reach them at 1 (800) 829-4493.

My little dog (may he rest in peace), had a very senstive tummy too. Good luck in your search.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I have see that food you little local stores her but not the big ones. You best chance to get it is to call some weird local store. If you cant find it in your town try a town that is close by and you will probably find it cheaper on gas to drive a little ways then order it.
That's for sure.

Thanks for the info
Old 09-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley103 View Post
Hi Linda,
I live in a fairly small town, so periodically run into problems finding products. I've found that calling the company and asking them for distributors in my area usually has good results. According to their web site, you can reach them at 1 (800) 829-4493.
Great idea, thank you
Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #8  
Determined

The only major retail place I've been able to find that food (great food by the way!) is PetCo. Petsmart doesn't have it in store or online, but Petco does. A lot of the higher quality food such as Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Innova, Canidae, Eagle Pack etc are sold in some dog grooming salons and little independent pet stores are also worth checking out for them.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #9  
Determined

I'm a picture freak and thought I'd use this opportunity to post a picture of my baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marleywithjuice.jpg (38.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy View Post
The only major retail place I've been able to find that food (great food by the way!) is PetCo.
Hmmm, not sure if we have a Petco around here. Thanks for letting me know, I'll do some checking

If I can't find an actual store, maybe I can check out their website. Their shipping might be a little less 'painful' than Amazon.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
I'm a picture freak and thought I'd use this opportunity to post a picture of my baby.
Awww, how sweet!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
The only major retail place I've been able to find that food (great food by the way!) is PetCo. Petsmart doesn't have it in store or online, but Petco does. A lot of the higher quality food such as Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Innova, Canidae, Eagle Pack etc are sold in some dog grooming salons and little independent pet stores are also worth checking out for them.
Thanks hon! Found a Petco in my area and they have the food
Old 09-19-2006, 02:11 AM   #13  
Determined

No problem.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #14  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

I went to the company websight and at the top of the page they have a store locator. You just type in your zip code and it will give you a list of stores near you where you can buy it. I hope this helps you. I had the same problem with my cat litter. They stopped selling it in my town so now I have to travel to get it but it is worth it.
Closed Thread