Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5`2

Default cheese

What type of cheese's do you use.
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #2  
Opulent

Soy, seed, nut and fermented miso mixtures.
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't eat much cheese. The only cheese I do eat is on the occassional pizza which is skim mozarella.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #4  
Mel

Sprinkles of grated parmesan and romano, grated fat-free cheddar and mozarella.

Other than that, cheeses are a "treat food" for me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #5  

Since cheese is so caloric, I only eat about one tablespoon of feta on a salad. It's just not worth the calories to have more and if I started eating a chunk of cheddar I probably wouldn't stop until the pound was gone. Definitely a binge trigger for me.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 317.6/236.6/145

I like the 50% Light Cabot Cheese individually wrapped mini-bars. Each mini-bar is 3/4 oz. and has 50 calories. For me one is just perfect when paired with some fruit for an evening snack. Sometimes I'll take one and slice it in thin strips and sprinkle it over a salad. So far the only place I've seen them is at Sam's Club.

I've also heard great things about Laughing Cow spreadable wedges. Those are on my list of new things to try.

Jen
JennW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #7  

Cheese is a trigger for me too. I do use Parmesan (I keep a block in the fridge) as I am unlikely to binge on that, and I have feta which I use for pasta and salads. Sometimes I use haloumi, that tends to be a treat meal rather than one of my every day meals - grilled haloumi with roasted vegetables - yum!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I can binge on cheese, so I don't use it much. Some blue cheese on some salads (or feta) some parmesan on other salads. If I have pizza, I'll use mozzarella, but sparingly. Cheddar goes too well on crackers and I'm trying to stay away from crackers, so I don't buy Cheddar.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #9  

The Laughing Cow light wedges are 1 point on WW plan. I have one split between 2 crackers and sometimes put tomato slices on it.

I always order my pizza w/o cheese--otherwise it's way too greasy for my taste.

We keep low fat shredded cheeses at home for quick quesadillas, tacos, etc. The kids are pretty reasonable with portion control and they aren't something I would overdo (feta, OTOH, stays out of the house for that very reason). I guess you gotta go with what works. Perhaps someday in the future feta can re-enter my home!
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

It's totally a binge food for me too, but I often take the Laughing Cow Light disks with crackers for work. Otherwise, I like a good Jarlsberg or a chevre, and I use feta on salads.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #11  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not too fond of cheese and rarely eat it except on pizza. I do have some goat cheese "crumbles" in my fridge now to use on salads but I'll be lucky to use the whole package b/f it dries out.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, cheese - sigh. I love a good really really sharp cheddar, but I don't often have it - both calorically and financially it's too expensive! I do have spells when I eat Laughing Cow light wedges, usually on toast in the morning. I haven't had any for about a month though. I keep those little Bonnebell round cheeses at work and have them with an apple sometimes for an afternoon snack. Feta and blue cheese crumbles sometimes go in my salad, but not on a regular basis. I keep parmasean for shredding, and packages of shredded stuff for a few dishes. I keep them in the freezer or they'd mold before I finish them.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Me and my DF are both very fond of Brie - plus you can get it quite cheaply sometimes. I goat's but it is V expensive. Wensleydale is lovely and even better with dried cranberries in it - you can also get a nice white soft stilton with cranberries in too. These are seriously treat foods for me! When I'm being healthy and on plan I eat Mozzarella - I think the stuff I get in the supermarket is pretty low fat and reasonably high in protein - plus I can just eat it out the packet (we're talking fresh Mozz in a big ball)

For DF and his sandwiches, he gets "Tesco Value" cheese which is about the cheapest, most processed cheddar you can get But he gets through TONS of it since he is veggie and takes cheese sandwiches to work every day I don't know how he does it! I sometimes steal a TINY bit of that, but never too much since it's v high in fat and also v processed.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #14  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I tend to use feta and parmesan mainly. I love halloumi, but haven't had any for ages. I use in feta in all sorts of things, and just a little bit of freshly grated parmesan on top of pasta, I don't tend to have that much of it so I'd rather have the really nice stuff than having lots of processed low fat "fake" cheese. I do love other sorts of cheese too, goats cheese and fruity wensleydale particularly (or even better wensleydale with fruit cake), but I only buy the stuff if I've planned a specific recipe to use it in, rather than having it lying around the house.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Wensleydale is lovely and even better with dried cranberries in it - you can also get a nice white soft stilton with cranberries in too
DH and I were in the UK last year, and were seriously jealous of all the cheeses available. Everyone knew we were tourists when we gawked at the selection - and that was just Tesco, not some fancy shop. We had the wensleydale with cranberries, and I was kinda glad I can't get it here.... it was soooo good.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote