South Beach Diet - meringues

View Full Version : meringues

rebel
09-16-2006, 03:18 PM
I just read the recipe for chocolate meringues, and dashed to the kitchen and made them. They're in the oven now.

After they were already underway, I had this flashback to 35-40 years ago. My dad had diabetes. Lemon meringue pie was his favorite dessert, so on his birthday we always made lemon meringue pie instead of birthday cake. Probably some time I had lemon meringue pie with sugar in it, but the only way I remember it is for my dad's birthday, made with liquid saccharin (before Splenda, before Nutrisweet, before any powdered sugar substitute). Man, that stuff was nasty. I sure hope meringue with Splenda is way better than meringue with liquid saccharin. I haven't been able to eat lemon meringue pie since then!

Ruthxxx
09-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Nummy! Let us know how they turn out.

gma22
09-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I have a "diet" chocolate chip cookie recipe that are actually merinques with mini chips in them. I made them a couple years ago and I didn't find that out until they were finished. Needless to say, though I liked them Jack was highly disappointed. He said it was like eating styrofoam. :lol:

rebel
09-16-2006, 09:14 PM
No report for you I'm afraid. I make meringues by cooking 30 min then leaving in the cooling oven. This has certain inherent risks, which I remembered while later preheating the oven to 425. "What's that smell of burning chocolate?"