Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #1  

Default arthritis in ankle--experiences?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you out there have experience with arthritis in an ankle and if you've found any daily lifestyle and exercise tips to share.

I broke my ankle about 9 years ago, had three surgeries to repair it and to repair the consequences of the repairing... It's actually great that nothing has shown up until the last year or so.

For the most part, it's just an annoyance, but when I actually exercise every day it becomes painful and I inevitably take a day off, then another, then another...

Here's my list of stats and questions:

I weigh in the high 230's, down 60+; if anything, the pain is worse b/c I'm more active--anyone notice a "magic weight" that seemed to alleviate most of the stress on the joint? Cause that's what I'll aim for!

I already wear flat shoes, all the time.

I wear Reebok crosstraining sneakers; I'm going to go buy a decent orthotic insert one of these days, was wondering is you all had a suggestion as to brand or type to try. Is it worth it to go to a fancy "foot" store?

My opposite foot is not even 1/2 size bigger, and it's always worked out to fit the bigger foot--is it worth it to buy two sizes to have the arthritic ankle in a very slightly better fit?

I walk for exercise; Dr. advised to avoid treadmills, and not to jog (no problem there!). I'm not ready for a bathing suit, and I just don't like to bike. Any walking suggestions?

Coffee seems to exacerbate it, and while I could give up the caffiene, I don't want to give up my morning coffee! Does anyone know if it's the caffiene, or is it other compounds? If so, would the new "milder"/easier on stomach versions be helpful?

Yes, I take some Ibuprofin if I have to (other stuff tears up my stomach, even Aleve).

The doctor says heat is good, but I like ice--what's up with that?

Does Ben Gay really work? Do you use it before or after you work out?

Thanks for any replies. I'm not losing as steadily as I was, so I've got to get on the ball with the exercise!
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have had my left ankle broken about 12 yrs. ago with surgery to correct it. It does seem to flare up sometimes when I use the treadmill a lot. Lately it hasn't been a problem because I have again injured the same ankle and can't walk much on it. My Dr. ordered an AFO ( whatever that is) because I now have nerve damage from the knee down. Did a nerve study on it (very painful) and am to have this study repeated in 6 weeks. I go to PT 3 times a week with no improvement in last 2 months. For my particular problem , I was told to "strap the injured foot" to a stationary bike for exercise, but I'm not sure this would help in your case. I feel your pain and know how frustrating it is not to be able to exercise like you would like. I also take Ibuprofen if it gets to hurting too much. Sorry I can't be more help. I definitely drink too much coffee. I like heat on my ankle better than ice. I have never tried Ben-Gay. As for weight affecting the pain, I definitely think weight loss helped with the arthritis type pain.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

I f you belong to a gym, you might want to try an elliptical machine to see if that is less stress on the ankle, or a recumbent bike, when you can sit back and pedal. Also, you might want to look into a mini trampoline, which "gives" more...perhaps a friend has one you could try. As for exercises, depending how they feel, rotating the ankles in both directions and up and down motions, to encourage flexibility and mobility is important, as long as it doesn't give you pain. For orthotics, rather than an expensive store, I would recommend going to a podiatrist, who would design orthotics specifically for your feet. Check your health insurance....often these are covered. Store orthotics are all different...what's good for one person won't work for another...it's personal preference. If the doctor is recommending heat, ask him why, what specifically the heat will do, he should be able to give you an explanation.

It's important for you to strengthen those ankles...try walking every other day. If you can stand the thought of water...water aerobics is the best thing. Perhaps there's a class near by. You will probably find people who are also struggling with weight issues, and you won't have to feel uncomfortable. The bouyancy of the water will help you burn calories without pain. Or go to a pool early in the morning when the pool is empty, and just walk back and forth, swinging your arms. For walking on land, you may want to try it at home, in the house, walking on a rug...to some videos like Leslie Sansome's Walking series.

Good luck!
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #4  

Thanks for the input, I'm making notes... lilybelle, I'm sorry about your injury--very frustrating. Ankles are difficult...

Mini-tramp is a good idea--should have thought of that.

Thanks again!
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote