Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 PM   #1  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs down How do you do it?

I walk every day. ALOT. I have been trying to jog/run for a long time but I can't even do a whole lap at the track. And I've been trying to for a long time. I just read someone else's post saying they just started running and do over a mile a day already? Aren't you supposed to work up to that? Seems like a lot to me. Is there something wrong with me?
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Have you tried googling for the couch to 5K programme? I started it about this time last year, possibly a little later - and now I'm tackling my first Half-Marathon.

It is possible to improve your running. I still don't particularly LIKE running, I find it can be boring and it's not distracting enough to actually get me doing it (if that makes sense!).

I think if you follow a structured program, then you have goals to aim for - and don't worry, it starts off with 30 seconds of running. Another thing, are you running too fast? Instead try a lazy jog for 30 seconds. I know I still can't sprint for longer than 40 seconds and I DO try!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I agree try the couch to 5k program... It basically makes you start very gradually by running for 1 minute walking for 1 minute... then GRADUALLY increase your mileage every week...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Even C25K was too hard for me when I started!

I started a VERY gradual program that I designed myself. I go out for 45 min, 4 days a week. The first week, I jogged 5 minutes and walked 40. Every week, I up the amount I'm jogging and reduce the amount I'm walking by 2.5 minutes. I make sure my walk is fast enough to keep my heartrate up.

I've been doing this for a while now, and I'm up to walking 20 minutes and jogging 25. It takes time, but you get there.

When I started, jogging 30 seconds was TORTURE. Now, I can easily jog 4.5 minutes at a time...just build yourself up slowly.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #5  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the replies. I will google the couch to 5k thing.
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #6  

one thing that helped me was getting a heart rate monitor and listening to the cardio coach audio programs. I could NEVER push myself to run before and now I can. They are VERY motivating. You don't even need a heart rate monitor if you don't want one but they really help me know when I am working to hard or not hard enough.

In cardio coach he takes you through guided intervals and you are always working at your level.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Running's different for everyone. It took me awhile to work up to being able to run 3 miles. And even then, I had to work super hard at it. I wanted to give up before I'd finish 3 miles many times, but I'd tell myself that my legs weren't really hurting as bad as I felt they were, that it wasn't really as far as I thought it was, and that the blisters on my feet would go away. LOL Sometimes that worked, sometimes...not so much.

Now I do 2 every day and worried that I wasn't getting back up to the 3 I used to do. Then I think...well duh...I wasn't pushing a jogging stroller before. That's a workout in and of itself.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I hope its okay to post this in this thread.........didn't think I should start one just for my one question, but I suppose if it needs to be moved then it will be.

Well here is my question............How do you keep working out through pain? I have a spinal injury so I have to be very careful in working out and not to over do. But how I can I work out and get the results I need without worrying about injuring myself?

Everybody keeps telling me water aerobics/exercises, and all that but I am not comfortable in the water. Is that my only choice? When I work out I feel like I want to do more, but my injury keeps me from doing it. Makes me really sad really. I know every little bit helps, but I feel like I'm not moving forward. My last work out I really over did it and I am still feeling it a day and a half later. This is the beginning and I know that is always the hardest part, but just if anybody has any tips or suggestions maybe???

Oh and yes my dr has said it is okay to workout, infact they want me to exercise to strengthen my back, kinda ironic really. I got to exercise to strengthen my back, but doing it puts me in a lot of pain.

Thanks for listening.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Oye you are in a hard place aren't you? But I don't think you should despair...
Your original question is: How do you keep working out through pain? You DON'T specially when it comes to back problems, you could very well injury it more. Could you doctor not suggest a physio therapist to show you some back exercises geared to you and your specific problem? But I certainly wouldn't push it... If you have access to a gym you could try an eliptical machine or a stationnary bike..

Here's a good article:
Exercise for Back Pain
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #10  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Thanks Ilene. I do those. I just try not to overdo it. Then I do the Nautilus machines but I have been instructed on those and they all are on the lowest weight.

Tonight I'm going to do (or try) to do my WATP DVD. I was in physical therapy for a long time and so I do remember a few of my exercises from there I could do and I will also check out the article you found for me.

Thanks!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote