Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default How much does my nutrition composition matter?

According to fitday, I average about 81grams of protein daily. It ranges anywhere from 18 to about 25% of my total calories, of which I'm shooting to average in the 1500 range daily.

I understand the basic math of calories consumed-calories burned=weight loss.

What is the difference, in weight loss only, that I would see from having 20% of my cals from protein vs 40%, for example. I'm really having trouble pushing it beyond that w/o fish, cottage cheese and other things I don't like. Even with egg whites, I think I'm doing well, but eating 2 is only like 4g protein or something!! I also need to be careful about not driving my cholesterol back into a bad territory and undoing the hard work there, so I don't want to overindulge on the animal protein. Should I work to put the smoothies back in, or will I see the weight loss/fat burning with my current mix?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #2  
Mel

It really depends on your body. I just can't seem to lose weight on more than about 35% carbs, no matter how clean they are.

Why only 2 egg whites? If I'm eating an egg white omelette, I have 6 and if it's an oatmeal-eggwhite-fruit pancake, I use 4.

You can use protein powder in more ways than just smoothies. I've posted recipes for protein muffins in about a dozen places here- do a seach on "Pumpkin Protein Muffins". If you don't like the pumpkin, I've made them with shredded carrots and they taste like little carrot cakes.

Add pp to oatmeal (not steel cut, that turns into roofing tar ), add it to fat-free yogurt with a half cup of fiber one cereal.

On the other hand, If you are losing weight and feel good, do what works for you.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:07 AM   #3  

Roofing tar! That's hilarious. How do you make an oatmeal/eggwhite/fruit pancake? I think I remember this from years ago, but refresh me....please.

I think it means something...the portion of protein v carbs v fat. I can't get all my protein in without shakes. I do 3 a day. Today I was invited to a lunch where they had very very very poor selections so I ate a salad and then had a protein shake (for 4 for today but that is unusual for me). I get at 66 a day through shakes (sometimes I have a scoop and a half for 35 instead of 23 grams) and that helps me get the rest in fairly easily.
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #4  
Mel

My version of the Protein Pancake:

4 egg whites
1/4 c. oatmeal flakes
1/4 c. fiber one cereal
1/3 c. cottage cheese
vanilla, cinnamon

Wing it around in a blender until batterish, then pou into a prheated non-stick sprayed skillet. I sprinkle about 1/2 diced apple or the equivalent other fruit on it while it is cooking. Cook 5 minutes at medium temp, flip, cook. Sometimes I add 1/2 c. pumpkin puree to the blender and about 2 tbs. water and pumpkin pie spices. SF syrup if you aren't adverse to artificial sweeteners.

Other recipes:
4-5 egg whites or 3 white and 1 whole egg
1/2 c. oatmeal

Cook as above.

I like adding the cottage cheese. It has a less "rubbery" or eggy feel and smell to it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I do

1/3 cup egg whites (usually 3)
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup oatmeal (old fashioned)

Cook as Mel does, though I like smaller thinner pancakes, so I often thin the "batter" with water and make several, topped with the fruit after cooking. I've even gotten my DH to eat them, though he tops his with tons of syrup - sigh.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote