View Full Version : Clover Moosings

Kiwonk
09-07-2006, 04:06 PM
There, how's that?

I'm going to go finish tuning my piano.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
I will start. .. yikes ... when I typed that my bad cat hit me with his claw.

Anyway, cars break down. My broke down at work and got jump started. My boss (who was told how to jump start it by a female employee) said I needed a new battery. Simple. Next morning, it wouldn't start so was towed to the garage where it needed a starter. I couldn't get to work. Now it's fixed. This makes no sense. I am just stove up with all this.

DS's car "broke down" in Tallyhassy on his way to the U. It wouldn't go over 55 and he called AAA. The woman who came told him it was the transmission but he could go ahead and drive it. It started going fast again and he got there. Turns out it was the catalytic converter. The garage said they'd fix it for $450 and he said ok then called me. I called my mechanic then called DS back to tell him to stop this work. He was to take it to a muffler shop and get it fixed for far less. Here they do it for $175, my mechanic said.

That's my gripe for right now.

Kiwonk
09-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, let's face it, if your boss had to have someone else tell him how to jump start your car, he was not qualified to tell you you need a new battery. Auto mechanics are a minefield. If you don't know enough to fix your own car, they have you over a barrel. It's great to have one you can trust, but even then, nobody's got the answers to everything. I hate dealing with car repair, it drives me bats. And you know how I feel about bats.

How are DS's classes going? Is he enthusiastic about them? I forgot what he decided to major in.

DD'sbf is going to visit her again this weekend (he was there Monday); they have a big dance on campus to go to.

We are going sailing this weekend. At least we hope to sail. I want to go to Frenchboro (http://www.islandportpress.com/frenchboro.html) and have lobster.

Later chillins

Kiwi

Wabby
09-07-2006, 06:37 PM
This is something worthwhile that I learned on the internet.....

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-fold-a-t-shirt-in-2-seconds

What worthwhile thing have you learned?

Peachy, sorry your cars haven't been co operating with you. Aren't you just supposed to turn the key and have them go???

Cowpernia
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
CAn you really do that Wabbo? I can't even follow it.

DS is in math. He likes his classes. He eats lunch at the Hare Krishna place which pleases me as they serve wholesome veggie food. His roomy plays music while DS tries to study and DS plans to buy him a gift of earphones. He's taking 2 maths, 2 languages (spanish and korean) and 1 physics. I have not adjusted to katie couric in the evening. I keep expecting her to talk about fashion or recipes.

I am depressed. Please send chocolate.

Wabby
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Yup. It only works on short sleeved t-shirts, though. Slower instructions on their website - http://fold-your-shirt.com/ Click on the step by step instructions.

I'm going to go home and wash t-shirts tonight. It doesn't take me much to get excited, huh?

I want to go to Frenchboro too, Kiwi. What a cool place.

Schatzi
09-07-2006, 07:57 PM
That was innnnerresting... now if only I can learn how to fold fitted sheets...

Sorry Peachella, I ate all the chocolate..
Frenchboro.. so quaint, I can't believe there are still places like that...13 students?

DH has another cut over this weekend which means no fun and games.. I may just take my kyack out by myself..I'm beginning to go stir crazy in my little world.

Kiwonk
09-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I learned how to do that on David Letterman. He had an audience member demonstrating it on Audience Show and Tell. Then a few months later Martha demonstrated it on her show. She made it sound like it was her idea, of course. I know how to fold fitted sheets:

Stick your fists into 2 adjacent corners
Place the corner on your right hand OVER the corner on your left hand
Smooth those 2 layers over your left hand so their edges line up, then transfer the double layer corner back to your right hand
Shake the sheet good while holding onto that double layer corner
With your left hand, use your fist to pick up the 2 remaining corners so that you now have double layered corners in each hand
Place the corners on your right hand over the corners on your left hand, smooth them and even the edges
With your right hand, straighten out the folds and shake things into place if needed
Now you can fold down the sides leading off the corner (so that the contour part lays down flat) if you want to be super neat--you might have to lay it down on a surface to do this right
OR let go of the contour corner stack and grab the opposite (folded) end, fold in half lengthwise once or twice
Smooth it down and fold it in half or quarters depending on how big you want it.

That is just ******ed, isn't it? I wonder if anyone can actually fold a sheet following those directions, or whether they will get tangled up and never be heard from again? Unlike the t-shirt thing. Which is simply magic. The girl on Letterman said she learned it at the Gap.

I wish I had some chocolate. There's some graduation cake in the freezer. Maybe I'll eat that. I'd send it to you, Peaches, but the icing makes your tongue blue.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
09-08-2006, 12:45 AM
maybe you can fold a sheet like that but you can't do it in two seconds. DS actually called tonight for laundry help. I sent him that link so he could impress girls in the laundry room. This is the first time he's done laundry and he's been there since Aug. 19. Honestly, I thought he just took a couple of weeks worth of clothes. Maybe he picked up more on Labor Day but he didn't bring dirty ones home.

Kiwonk
09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
I've been wondering the same thing about DD, although she's only been there 2 weeks. She's been doing her own laundry for years so I'm not worried about her knowing how; I just wonder if she's actually done any. All their laundry machines are hooked up to a website and they can check on free washers and even whether their own wash loads are done. Cool, huh? Sort of silly, but still cool. I wonder what enterprising soul sold that service to the college...

I'm off to the coast for the weekend. Well, I have to pack first. Better get going.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm glad to hear that Kiwiette can do laundry. One of Ds's questions was how many loads of wash he could put in the dryer. I asked him if the dryers were bigger than ours and he siad, "Maybe a little." My advice was to step outside, find a girl passing by and ask her.

Schatzi
09-08-2006, 12:30 PM
:wave: g'byeee Sailor Kiwi, Bon Voyage,,,, have fun!

errrr... I fell asleep after the shaking the sheet out part.. I may have to print it out and amuse myself . My gfren does it so well, and folds the flat and pillow cases in it so that when she changes the sheets she has a whole set...

Its crappy out here... I think I'll curl up with a good book.

Tah tah my leetle mooettes

Wabby
09-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Schatz, tell your friend to come here and give me a lesson.

Wabby
09-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm back here talking to myself.

DH is going fishing tonight so I'm going shopping. I really do have to buy me some cowgirl jeans. yee-haw. Can you feel the excitement? Tomorrow is bunco night. Now that I can get excited about. I can wear my fat pants.

Did you know it's only one month until Thanksgiving for Bagzie? Then they have Labour Day after that. Those cwazy mixed up Canadians.

We have less than 2 months until election day when I find out if our place is going to be annexed to the city and we can get on with our lives. I just wanna know one way or the other. Limbo land is not a fun place to be..... and you all have to hear about it for a couple more months. Sorry.

Hope your weekend is absolutely moooo valous, cows. See you Monday.

Bagzz
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
hey guys ---have been awol all weekend ---went to visit the university kids--they are all happy and well partied out after the first week of classes and return to routine---------we are TIRED after driving for six hours {one college is way off the beaten path!!!!} all this sept 11 programming is depressing me--it's all over the radio {CBC} and television--so sad and miserable for all those families.

PainterWoman
09-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, I haven't folded any clothes (or washed any either) for quite some time. No clients tomorrow, so I foolishly promised DH I'd do some picking up around here. Jeez, he might expect a cooked dinner, too.

But in the am, (late) I have therapist appointment, then lunch with a colleague... so how can I possibly get anything done... especially being up SO late. (I wallked this evening and once I recovered, I got ALL awake!)

Should walk in the morning before therapy. My colleague group talked about shame and guilt this morning. Yipes. Shame & Guilt R Us. Eating is definitely a defense for me against feeling both. You'd think for how long I'd been in the mental health business, I'd have my own shame issues tackled. (But then for how much Terrell Owens is making with the Dallas Cowboys, you'd think he could be polite, too.)

DS survived his first 2 days teaching: physics and Algebra II. He said the kids weren't very interest (no real big surprised) AND that some of them didn't have paper on Friday. WHO GOES TO SCHOOL WITHOUT PAPER?

Hope you get through the 9/11 anniversary well enough. Watching the kids on 60 minutes who lost parents made me very upset. (But I didn't eat.)

Wabby
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
It doesn't seem possible that 9/11 was 5 years ago. I remember exactly where I was when I heard. Seems like the world did a little shift on it's axis that day.

Bagzie, so nice that kidlets are settled and happy at university. Is DS enjoying being an only child now that the older ones are out in the world?

DH is off to play cowboys and indians again. I'll be joining him on Friday. I bought some fat cowgirl clothes. I feel and look hideous in them. I threatened to just buy some sweats and put some fringe & conchos on them. My gf and I were joking about coming out with a line of clothes for "the over 50 cowgirl", completely made of spandex. I don't know if I'm dreading starched jeans (yes! can you believe that??? starched!!) or tight boots the most.

Painty, shame and guilt R women. I don't know if that's why I eat, but it sounds like as good an excuse as anything. That, and everything tastes so darn good and I have no control.

:dunno:

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I threatened to just buy some sweats and put some fringe & conchos on them. My gf and I were joking about coming out with a line of clothes for "the over 50 cowgirl", completely made of spandex. I don't know if I'm dreading starched jeans (yes! can you believe that??? starched!!) or tight boots the most.

I am d.y.i.n.g. :rofl:

You are hysterical Wabby! I wish I could photoshop a picture of red sweat pants with side fringe... UGH sausaging ones self into starched jeans and putting my pig hooves into tight boots spells S and M to me!
I would rather a snug unforgiving pair of pants rather than anything with spandex... I even hate those jeans with spandex in them..I am so lumpy flabby that I'd rather those starched jeans ...although :chin: when you take those kinda pants off it looks like yer still wearing them.. what with all the zipper, waist, side stitching marks left upon my flabbosity.

Painty, shame and guilt R women. - Period. I think it's just a general female marker. Whether we eat tooo much, tooo little, it's a symptom of what issue lies beneath for each of us. I sometimes wonder if searing ones tastes buds for a while is a viable means of self control.. as I just love the taste of all foods.

Baggeroo: glad all the kidlets are tucked safely in the dorms... I turned off the TV and put on XM commercial talk free radio... remembering those that died and whose lives are altered in my own way.. While we shouldn't forget this I wish it served us better as a wake up call to secure our borders, and put our resources to use getting New Orleans back instead it was used as a ploy to engage in Bushs war in Iraq.. and further weakening our home defenses, "wasting" american and allied and Iraqi peoples lives. Spreading our military so thin in Iraq and afganistan, running up a biggest deficient in history. ... I just feel anger...

Peach cheeks : where art thou?

Kiwonk
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
My advice was to step outside, find a girl passing by and ask her.Excellent advice; what girl could resist that?
DS survived his first 2 days teaching: physics and Algebra II. Cool. I hope he finds that some of his students can be motivated and interested. By the way, at DD's high school, most of the teachers passed out materials. I thought it was ridiculous not to demand that kids bring their own -- especially since I understand it is the teachers who have to buy these supplies. It seems to me that it would be a simple matter to sell school supplies in the cafeteria so that those who couldn't afford them could get them for free like they do lunches, but of course that would be too simple, wouldn't it?
. I just feel anger...
I'm afraid that's about all I feel too. I am sad though, too. As much because I believe those deaths should have meant something and that meaning has been squandered by our government, as by the memory of the events themselves.

I watched a few minutes of the morning show coverage today and I just felt disgust. There were people in the crowd, listening to these sappy musical tributes, who were all smiles and wearing patriotic face paint and crap. What a bunch of bull****. Sorry. I should just leave it alone.

HEY!! My previous paragraph was censored!!! Not that I care, but I didn't put in those ****! Wow. I had no idea you couldn't swear here anymore. Damn. :lol:

I love this story. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/5193552.stm)How refreshing for a city to see subversive activity/art as something worthwhile! Granted it's probably more because it is funny, but still...

Our weekend was good fun. I don't think I will find that I lost any weight...:lol: We had a couple of friends on the boat with us, and acted like, well, adults with no parental responsibilities. We ate good food (oh yeah, really good food) and drank with abandon (well, one night anyway), went sailing. Didn't go to Frenchboro because the lobster place was closed for the season. Went to Cranberry Island instead. (http://www.islesford.com/) Had a lovely walk, visited an art gallery, then spent the night on the mooring there. That night, Saturday, we had a whopper of a thunder and lightning storm with a soaking rain. Sunday was a bit rough on the ocean, so after we got back to our home mooring, we decided to unload to land and go play minigolf. Seriously. And it was great fun.

Kiwi

SugP
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
You cows are too funny.

The first thing I ever, ever learned on the internet was how to fold a fitted sheet. It ain't purdy, but it works all right. Still can't do the t-shirt origami thing though.

Starched jeans???? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, hmmpf that is ****ty..

testing testing censor testing

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
AAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** on that, I mean what the ****, can I say *******? or um, *******...

testing

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I am DYING :rofl:

Where's George Carlin when you need him?

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe I can say Go to **** *******?

testing ...

Schatzi
09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I am laughing myself silly here! :rofl: (note to self: must remove moderator from avatar thingy)

I like the word...............testing................gives you carte blanche....

It's like that phrase "just saying" .... gets ya off the hook... :devil:

SugP
09-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Schatzi!!! What in the WORLD are you doing? :D

Wabby
09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Schatzi, you bad. :devil:

Bagzz
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
**** off

Bagzz
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
yup,it works allright!!

Kiwonk
09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
The first thing I ever, ever learned on the internet was how to fold a fitted sheet. The first thing I learned how to do on the internet was remove a tick.

AAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** on that, I mean what the ****, can I say *******? or um, *******...
testingSchatzi, you're killing me :rofl: Leave it to us to respond to the knowledge that they're bleeping swear words by swearing with abandon!!! I think they should replace the **** with :censored:, it's more fun. More ****ing fun, that is.
Schatzi!!! What in the WORLD are you doing? :DMaking me spit coffee on my keyboard, that's what she's doing! :lol3:

I have been such a good girl -- I called up my doggy friend and made a walking date this morning. We took all 6 of the dogs for an hour and a half walk on a trail near here. Good heavens it was beautiful, sunny, a bit cool, not a cloud in the sky. I should have taken some pictures; the lake and mountains in the distance were gorgeous.

DD called last night to tell us how her first Monday had gone -- she has classes from 9:30 am till 9:00 pm. Not continuously of course, but she has to squeeze meals in at odd times. Now she's adding some shifts of work study in the library to her schedule, 2 hours of it right at lunchtime on Monday. I've a feeling that eventually she will have to drop some of that. She's had to substitute Computer Science for her Peace and Justice Studies class because of a scheduling conflict, and it sounds like computer is going to be a challenge. They are learning right off to program in C++ (computer language). Then she said the Arabic professor talks to the class in Arabic right from the start. And the Islamic Law professor barely speaks English, so it is very difficult to understand her. Don't you just love it? I am tickled to death that she is being challenged, finally.

Here's what I am doing that I haven't done in 18 years: practicing the piano.:encore:

Here's what I am getting today that I am very excited about: a new computer monitor!!! :comp: I'm such a geek. DH is getting himself a new computer because we decided that what he needed to upgrade his computer and what I needed (a screen I could read) would be nicely satisfied by a new HP for less than buying the parts. Plus the new puter will have double layer cd/dvd burner with a dandy feature called LightScribe (http://www.lightscribe.com/)that will lasar on a label to the top of the disk. Cool huh?

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh my goodness I can see! I had no idea what those smilies actually looked like!

Wabby
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Do you like the dancing carrot any better?

Kiwonk
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, truthfully, it does have more personality now. And yet, somehow I don't like it any better....

I also had to clean up my computer desk to swap out the monitors and now my puter tower is on my desk instead of under it where it can collect dust and dog hair. That's a good thing, although I now have 2 piles of junk to go through. Blah.

How's trix, Wab?

I'm contemplating applying for a seasonal call center job with LLBean. Any of you ever do call center crap? It would only be incoming calls, but still..

Kiwi

Wabby
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
How's trix, Wab?

Everybody knows trix are for kids, Kiwi, and I'm not a kid anymore.

Hmmmm. what is new? hmmmm..... nuttin' I guess. Wish I could tell you otherwise. With DH gone I feel like I should do something exciting or different. Yesterday I cleaned out the fridge. That was different.... can't really say it was exciting.

Kiwonk
09-13-2006, 04:36 PM
That's what I've had on my list for several days: cleaning out the refrigerator. It's too boring to do. It is so gorgeous outside today I feel like I should go kayaking or something (but that would require hauling out the kayak...sounds like work). What I'm really doing is sitting in front of the puter backing up my hard drives and photos. How exciting.

Kiwi

Wabby
09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Tomorrow is rodeo day. I'm eating now b/c it will probably be too uncomfortable to wear those d*mn jeans and eat any food. I'm really not looking forward to this. I'm driving up w/ 2 guys that work for us, their wives and our friend who lost her DH earlier this year. It will be very emotional and I just don't know what to do for her. It just breaks my heart. She tries so hard to keep it together, but isn't doing too well at all. She doesn't work outside the home so she has way too many long hours.

It's been gorgeous here, too, Kiwi, but the clouds moved in yesterday and it looks like rain now. Perfect weather to match my mood. I think the call center job sounds like a good idea.... and the good thing about it is that it's seasonal. It's going to be a long winter, toots. The dark gets long and the daylight gets short. bleeeh.

Schatzi, get back here. We need cheering up.

Kiwonk
09-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Hope it's more fun than you're anticipating!

I'll bet your friend will enjoy the time out with you all. A little socializing can work wonders when you spend too much time alone (not speaking from experience, or anything ;) ).

Our weather changed too. Gorgeous yesterday, raining today. And I cleverly spent the whole day inside in front of the computer. Except for the time I spent shampooing the dog pee smell out of the back of the Explorer. That was fun. Seriously, that was fun.

Kiwi

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Wabby, forget how you think you look, and just have a GREAT TIME!!!!Never been to a rodeo, but men in tight jeans with big belt buckles and hats can't be bad atall! ;)

It's been raining here for the last two days... I just finished making the "girls" dinners for when we go away... one night stew meat, chicken and hotdogs... I bought some dog food that's suppose to look like hamburger and cheese... Darby sniffed it :snooty: and then Rolled on top of it... LOL! I guess she told me what she thinks bout that! and Casey sniffed, pinned her ears back and stared at me :dz: He heeeeeeeeeh! ah well, they be my childrens!
Would you believe I spent about 5 minutes this morning trying to get out of porno sites??? All those bloody pop ups and stuff, I honestly don't know how I got tangled up in them!

Kiwi, I have become a recluse since moving here... It's a good thing I'm a bit of a nester and like myself :lol: but I am really looking forward to seeing Asheville, and the train ride.. Will take pics ... be back on Monday....

Must go clean the crack house, and iron my mu mus...;) ;)

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Where is Sug??? And Peachy??? and Painty???? And Cherry????? And Bagzz???? And Frappe?????

Cows gone Missin!--not to be confused with Cows Gone Wild... hmmm, a potential thread name for the future eh?

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 01:51 PM
P.S. Congrats on the new monitor Kiwi! And I still hate the :carrot: Wanna just smash it ...Where's a shotgun smilie when you need one? :s:

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Can Anyone tell that I am procastinating on cleaning? I'm looking for a good cow to amuse me and give me an excuse ....

Cowpernia
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Since I have gained a coupla lbs (they sleep next to me) I am ashamed to speak to you lovely heifers. I have this soap opera on and the guy who's married to the mom and doing something naughty with the daughter, just told the mom, "I want to touch you. With my hands and hold you." Do they rehearse these things?

Am glad rodeo days are here and Kiwi is going to LL Bean so I can get a family discount. I am giving up my former sisterhood with Lush and attaching it to Kiwi now. This makes our kids cousins. That's good, too.

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Kiwi, your sister reminded me... LL Bean call center sounds fun... The people I have dealt with there have been most helpful..no high pressure sale tactics, helpful on sizing, etc.... Much Better than a call center at an insurance co where most are problems that make people irritable and nasty as they project all on to the poor customer service person... I say go for it!

Wabby
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Of course it will be fun!!!! As soon as I get there and forget about myself a little bit. I love the people and most of them we only see once a year. I wouldn't care so much but DH is still so darn purdy, I feel like I need to match him.

Peach! let me be the first to welcome you and your extra pounds. You know misery loves company when it comes to lardo.... and I have plenty of lardo to keep yours company. Don't watch soap operas. The ppl are too pretty and worried about stupid superficial things. Has anyone seen the show on TLC called The Messengers? It's kind of an American Idol for spiritual speakers. I just caught the last show and it was very good. I wish I would have seen the entire season.

Schatzi
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
So good to hear my wabby will just git her cowgirl on! YeeHa! ( insert pretty girl with swinging lasso on brahma bull smilie here)

I am shallow and like Project Runway, Miami Ink, Deadliest Catch, Little People, Top Chef- I know, Buzzkill , sorry darlin Wabby..

Wabby
09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Schatzi! You are not shallow. I love me some reality shows. I'm hooked on Dancing w/ the Stars, Deadliest Catch (far from shallow, those guys fish in deep water), Super Nanny, What Not to Wear (can't get more shallow than that), Wife Swap, Dr. G Medical Examiner, Shalom in the Home, plus a bunch more mindless stuff. I'm also known for watching Clean Sweep while the dust bunnies pile up around me....

Have fun in Ashville, sweetie.... we can trade pictures when we get back. See youz heifers when I get back! Yee-haw... I'm off to the ro-day-o..... Let 'er buck!!!!!

Bagzz
09-14-2006, 09:55 PM
oh damn--i am depressed about the school shooting at Dawson College in Montreal-----------the ******* was wearing a black trenchcoat-----it's just too horrible to imagine---all those poor kids running and screaming in fear. It is horrible.

Cowpernia
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
I know Bagzie. I kept thinking of you and your stepdds and the Colombine murders. How scary that was for you. I am speechless.

SugP
09-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Isn't that terrible about Dawson College, Bagzie. I was weeping when I saw it on TV. What a disturbed young man that must have been. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Have a grand ol' time, Wabby! I'm sure you'll be the purdiest cowgirl there.

I am fat and cranky today and would like to kick something around the room a few times. Meh.

Did I mention that my s-i-l is expecting a baby girl a the end of December? A huge surprise for all concerned, most of all the parents who claim that all security measures were in place! Opps. So my parents will have 6 grandchildren. Wheee! We're all looking forward to seeing if this one will be a little calmer than her brother who is 5 now but behaves like a 3 yr old. Eeep.

CSI Miami and Gilmore Girls is a deep as I go when it come to TV. :D

Kiwonk
09-15-2006, 12:05 PM
That is just awful. And scary.

I am still wading through computer backups. At the moment we have 3 computers connected to the internet and each other. That's for the 2 of us. No wonder we have to spend all our time on them.

DD is supposed to be coming home tonight! I washed her old down comforter (newer one is at school) yesterday and have been drying it. It is shedding down like crazy. I pulled a bagful of down out of the lint catcher. I could make a new goose.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
09-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm glad to hear that my Canadian friends are safe from the contagious insanity of Columbine... and hopefully from the fear-mongering by the US government. It is important that we be courageous and stand up for what is RIGHT and let what is wrong wither away... or at least find no place near us to take root.

I loved reading all the cursing attepts. There have been other blogs that won't "take" TEXAS. I think they assumed it was spam about poker. Nope, y'all it is actually a legitimate word.:D
WHINE ALERT: Do not read if you are vulnerable.
I am in a funk. FAT. and very sore after a 30 second trial on a Sears Elliptical machine. Kept me in hot flashes for the rest of the day yesterday until I went to bed. Early. Blech.

Have been pretty much beating myself up since.
And counting my aggravations rather than blessings.
I must be enjoying it somehow... because it is as if I can't think how to make my day any better.

The major joints hurt: ankles, knees... (not hips, though), shoulders, neck. I am fat. I cannot imagine "gradually" working up to 30 minutes on that piece of equipment.... nor can I imagine going for a schlep around the block. I am such a weenie and hate any kind of discomfort/pain.

Plus I am disappointed about things that shouldn't bother me... or at least that i don't have any right to try to change. My son's fiance is hard for me to warm up to. My daughter is dating a girl. Again. I love my kids. I hate when my hopes and dreams don't perfectly dovetail with theirs.

I feel physically nauseous when we're at odds. You'd think I could fuel my body in a pragmatic way..... I certainly dont have any appetite now.

Kiwonk
09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I am such a weenie and hate any kind of discomfort/pain.I feel your aches and pains. I don't like to embark on uncomfortable endeavors either. I went on about an hour long hike with the dog today which I would probably have foregone if I hadn't been full of righteous indignation over DH's annoying computer obsession of the day.

Furthermore I would like to add my whine of the day: that my recent yearly medical checkup with followup blood-letting and barium x-rays have conspired to annoy me thusly: the tech who stabbed my arm for blood left me with a giant bruise that lasted 2 weeks. The vile barium procedure left me with a ******* hemorrhoid. And after telling me my hormone level test showed I was "in or through menopause", I have gotten my period for chrissake! I am so not thrilled with the medical community. Not that I ever was. But they have gone out of their way to imply that I will be needing them regularly now that I am over 50, and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Now I will give them the raspberry:p :p :p :p :p

Who knew Texas was a dirty word? :lol: I can think of reasons, but there must be so many more reasons it's NOT, right?

I wish you the best in embracing your kids' SOs. It's not always easy, but I'm sure it's worth the effort. I count myself soooo lucky that the scary kid that DD had a crush on for years moved away and finally faded away too with the love-in-bloom that's going on now. To be honest I could see what she saw in him, but talk about Bad News. The current bf drove her back to school today after a very short weekend visit. They seem to be just as enamored as always.

I'm starving. See youse guys later ;)

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh I keep forgetting, Painty, I love your avatar! It's your own artwork, right?

Kiwonk
09-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks like I'm talking to myself here.

Hi Kiwi! How ya doin'?

Horribly depressed, how are you, Kiwi?

Not bad. You suppose that's significant?

What?

That we don't feel the same?

You mean, maybe we're schizophrenic?

Or multiple personality disorder. Are there any more of us?

I'm not sure. How would I check?

I don't know. I'm new at this.

Hey, wait a minute. I think you're an imposter.

How could I be an imposter? I'm right here in your head, aren't I?

Hmmm. What if I made you up?

Well, that would mean you still don't have anyone to talk to.

Oh yeah, you're right. So whatcha been up to?

Not much. You?

Cowpernia
09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Ok, I'm signing on. I will be Kiwi-3.

Kiwi-1, why are you depressed?:chin: :kickcan: :eek:

How do I get them to answer?

Raining here. I like it but later have to drive in it. Won't like it. Short sentences. Good. Verbs not necessary if implied.

I'm a little depressed, too. Been feeling good good but now a little shakey. Must go download pictures of rain.

Wabby
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Lordy, we are a morose herd today. It's started to rain here and it feels like the middle of January. ick.

I spent half of my yee-haw weekend sick w/ a migraine. Anyway, Saturday all day until about 4 pm I was sick as could be. Finally barfed and then started to feel better. Ever have those experiences where you are laughing and carrying on, and still feel sad? That was my weekend. I just couldn't shake it. Sorry. I did my best to be a happy camper.

Painty, I hope you warm up to DS's fiance and DD's gf. Sometimes it just takes a while. When I first met DS's wife I thought she was stand-offish, but it turned out she was just shy and the sweetest thing ever. Now I'm so happy to have her a part of our family. She always thanks me for raising such a wonderful man. Hopefully things will work out as well for you and the significant others.

I missed news of the shooting in Canada. I was in a news blackout all weekend. Sometimes it's nice to not know what's going on.

Is the Schatz-ter back yet???

SugP
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Well if everyone's depressed, I may as well join the club. Whine, whine, whine. Meh, meh, meh. At least I have my socks.

Taught two classes of little weasels at the library today. Well, one class was in the library and one was in some other room that they shoved me into because they had already booked another mom into the library (which is the size of a broom closet) during that class period. The nerve. It's like I'm invisible. Pffttt.

I'm soooooo tired and I keep breaking out into a sweat and I'm really, really cranky. Do ya think it could be menopause or something close to it?

No rain here yet but other parts of Germany have been badly flooded. Luckily we only get the boring weather up here - no floods, no droughts, no earthquakes, no tornados. Something to be grateful for, I suppose.

Must go. Too sweaty to type.

Wabby
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
:grouphug: there. I hope y'all feel better. I don't even have pictures to show youz cows. I took my camera this weekend, but never got around to taking any photos, except one that DH took of some guy passed out on the lawn behind our motorhome, with quite a pronounced plumbers crack on display. Men's sense of humor never develops much beyond pre-teen level.... anyway most of the men I know. I actually watched the outdoor Indian program that DH participates in. He was quite the handsome immigrant wagon driver, and they managed to get in and out of the arena w/ no horse wrecks. (although horse wrecks are always big crowd pleasers - really livens up the show).

Hi Sugar. Getting any me time since boys are back in school?

SugP
09-19-2006, 04:05 AM
Hi Sugar. Getting any me time since boys are back in school?

It's ALL about me, Wabs! :D :D :D

And that's why my house looks like this. 57 loads of laundry on the To Do list today. But now that both kids are at the same school, they don't get home until 2 p.m. Wheeeeeee!

Yes, I know several men who would laugh themselves silly over a plumber's crack picture.:rofl:

Kiwonk
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, leave it up to a man to come away from an event with one photo of a guy's crack. In my experience, it's either that or 10,000 photos of the same thing. Why I usually take charge of the camera (also keeps me out of most of the pictures...)

My alter egos have moved to Flawridder to live with Cowpeach. Seems I was depressing them. You don't really want a list of why I'm depressed, Peachie. It's the usual, except apparently if DD comes home for the weekend and then goes back to school, it compounds the depression instead of getting easier.

Here's something you have to deal with if you ever drink (and possibly one reason not to): people who won't let you say NO. I hate being pressured to "have one more" whether it's a beer or slice of pizza. This friend who has dogs that Jet plays with apparently considers drinking too much as de riguer to spend time with her. Why isn't "No, thank you" enough? I'm not objecting to generosity, being a good host, that sort of thing. Go ahead, ask me if I'm sure, offer me something different, but for heaven's sake, don't you think if I say no, I have to drive home, it's time to drop it? Maybe it's me who's not a good host: I offer people drinks, food and when they say No, Thanks, I drop it. I wonder how people I know would react if I tried to force drinks on them? Might be an interesting experiment.

Well, that's my pet peeve for the day. I should probably get something accomplished today, since I didn't yesterday (except for getting the dog some playtime and drinking too much :frypan: ).

Kiwi

Wabby
09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Kiwonker, ppl do that b/c they want to have a drink and they think drinking alcohol while others are not is tabu. I hate that too, but most ppl know I'm really not much of a drinker and don't try to push it on me. I talk big, but I'm usually a one drink gal.

News flash - I'm feeling better today. May be because I've decided to start eating better. I know, I've decided that before, but who knows, this time it might stick.

Hope everybody else starts gettin' happy too.

PainterWoman
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Kiwi... your words were like a good hug or a strong kleenex!
Yeah, the Lily avatar is my own photoshop work... (plys a great lily that managed to grow inside a couple of years ago.)
I am logging my food and back on the nutritionist's regimen. Proglem is that means I have to face food (sensibly) five times a day. AAAAACK.
I have an hour between appointments to find something that doesn't use the rest of my alottment for the day because it is only 4 pm. I am definitely hungry.

DH did the niced things. I left my "lunch" on the table by the door when I left this morning. HE BROUGHT IT TO ME. I haven't had any bring me my lunch when I left it at home.. EVER. (I grew up across the street from my elementary school... so if I "forgot" I just went home and mom made fun of me the whole time. In Jr. High it was too far for mom to drive (she said... but then she totalled about 3 cars that I remember, so maybe it really was too far.) By highschool... I'd learned that CASH was queen.

I'm hungry. Maybe a sandwich full of veggies... especially if I don't eat it all at once.
TTFN.

Bagzz
09-19-2006, 09:12 PM
hi gals---i was away for a few days--we had a provincial election that dh had to cover so ds and i went along for the free hotel room and the eating out---the town had a jazz and blues festival going on and the weather was sunny and 26 degrees the whole time----of course i was still watching the terrible coverage of the Montreal School shootings but it helped to be away from the daily grind. KIWI!!! i totally remember how you feel about your baby visiting and then LEAVING again---i still feel sad when dd comes home for a visit and then LEAVES again-----usually i cry for a bit. It's not just that they are away---it's just that it's the end of the ride that was their "childhood"----OH NO,I AM DEPRESSING MYSELF---THIS IS NOT HELP TO ANYONE!!!!----------- i think i am DEFintitely experiencing the ****ing menopause---the plague which was SO regular FORever is now stretching out over Weeeeeks and the NOT knowing when it will arrive has me in a state of permanent pms=============being away these last few days gave me a nice break from thinking about it,but now that i am home i am back in a mess-----it was good to read all the posts and see all the ****ing company i have========== I LOVE YOU GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

PainterWoman
09-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Aw Baggsz... It IS hard. Hope that you can review happy memories of Jazz festival and festivities on expense account-- and that the menopause will be short and easy.

Is anybody actually working hard on inches or weight loss? I could use a supporter. would be glad to divulge IM name by PM... so that if we're "on" we can give a shout out. Be well, y'all.

Kiwonk
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Can't really say I'm working hard on anything. :o

Although I did dust/scrub/clean/straighten a corner of the kitchen yesterday. Baby steps, you know.

DH is all frustrated with his new computer, which really really sucks, because not only is he spending practically 24 hours a day working on it, but he's intermittently p-o'ed at the world. And we have 3 computers on all the time in the same room. Sometimes you can feel a wave of heat when you come into the room. Today he yanked out the video board he had bought for it and went to return it in the big city. Well, better than storming around the house anyway; maybe the drive will cool him off.

Where is Schatzi? Wasn't she supposed to go away for the weekend and then report back? I have no memory. Maybe she was going away for longer.

Hi Bagz. Sounds like fun doing the "convention wife" thing--You know, he does the work, you have the fun. I remember hearing of the music festival going on. Cool.

Later chillins
Kiwi

Wabby
09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Painty, I'm actually working on weight loss. 2 days and counting. I think whatever needed to "click" finally did. All done w/ summer, all done w/ rodeo season, no excuses left. I don't IM here at work b/c I never know who is hanging over me, but I'd welcome private messages through 3fatchicks.

Bagzie, the mental pause is in full swing here. I never used to be able to figure out what the big deal was about it --- now I know. Hormonal craziness.... and chin hairs.

Geez. We went from hot summer one day, to nasty rainy yuck the next. It's been so cold here lately. Highs are only in the lower 60's. Brrrrr.

I ordered 2 new pairs of shoes from shoes.com. I hope they're on my doorstep when I get home. I could use the boost. Anyone watch In Her Shoes? Cute movie. One sister bought shoes any time she needed a pick me up -- they always fit, no matter what her weight was. I could definitely relate. ;)

Kiwonk
09-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I never used to be able to figure out what the big deal was about it --- now I know. Hormonal craziness.... and chin hairs. And weeping over chin hairs...

It's gotten pretty cool here too. Nice sunny days, but really cooling off toward evening. This has been one of the nicest Septembers ever. Wish I felt like doing something other than sleeping; but maybe I can pull myself up with my own bootstraps (it certainly feels like I'm standing on my motivation...)

Who's got something cheery to share? Goofy photos perhaps? I'll go rummage.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I think this is pretty funny. It's my nephew. He's not really the devil.

Bagzz
09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
oh my geeawd!!!! that baby is sooooooooo cute!!! what a sweet grin!!!

Schatzi
09-21-2006, 08:25 AM
And he doesn't have any chin hairs!

he heeeee! I am back from Asheville...which by the way I fell in love with! BUT I must share the details a little later... since we got back DH has been in a tizzy about finding land to build on..and we have been out at the crack of dawn and returning late from our hunt... Today we are meeting a realtor on 10 acres that looks real nice... I Vill be back to share all the details!

Till then:

:coach: Kiwi, you, Git offa yer boot straps !

:coach: Wabby, go shave yer chin!

:coach: Bagzzzz putta a smile on that mug, you may have a margie to help you do so!

:coach: Sug , git that laundry done so you can come back to play!

:coach: Painty, continue to munch carrots and make somethin purty with paintshop when you want some chocolate!

Gotta fill up my tank :coffee: DH is Land Ogre is yelling at me to get ready!

Wabby
09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Schatzi, I hope you find the property of your dreams.....:cloud9: ......and you don't have to worry about my chin hairs. I patrol them w/ tweezers every morning.

Kiwi, the nephew looks like an angel, not a devil. Look at that grin.

My old doggie is not doing very well. He mostly sleeps and he's having problems with his left shoulder joint. This is why I swear we won't get any more dogs. It's just too hard when the inevitable happens.

It's going to be a long day.... guys are out of the shop and the weather is gray. bleeeeh.

Kiwonk
09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Sorry to hear about old doggy, Wab. I know the feeling. It's discouraging.

But now I'm practicing amnesia because I have a young wild funny dog who certainly thinks she will live forever. I had to stitch up her baby toy, a pink squeeky stuffed elephant, because she tore an ear off tugging on it, and she has figured out that if she pokes me with it on the arm while I'm on the computer, I have no choice but to stop what I'm doing. Fortunately a little playing does the trick and now I can type real words while she chews on something in the other room. :chin: Maybe I'd better go see what.

Good luck with the land hunt, Schatzi. Come back soon and tell us all about Asheville.

Kiwi

SugP
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Chin hairs - ewwww! And I'm talking about mine! And the age spots! I gotta get me some of that Hormocenta fade cream or something.

Well, now I know what the sweating and exhaustion was all about - came down with a giant head cold in the middle of the night complete with killer sore throat. Sore throat is gone now but sniffles remain. Nice to be able to put a name on the ailment though. BUT my right eye has been all itchy for the past month and I have no idea what it is. Don't think it's pink-eye because that would spread, wouldn't it? Right eye is OK and no one else has gotten it. No goooey stuff in the mornings and it doesn't hurt. Just feels like someone taped a cat (allergy alert!) to my eye. Oh well.

Very cute devilish nephew, Kiwi! Reminds me of my two monkeys when they were babies.

Wabs - Hope the poor pooch feels a bit better soon. That's one of the things I dread about getting a dog - knowing one will most likely outlive it and having to deal with that.

Painty! Have faith! I was actually going to start exercising again - got myself a bunch of Pilates/yoga for dummies DVDs on vacation, but seem to have been struck down by illness/inertia/depression since we got back. I am making a concerted effort to eat daily bunches of fruit and vegetables, though. We're with you all the way! :hug:

Schatz - When men get some idea into their heads there's just no stopping them, is it? Do you think moving to a new location would make ya feel better about living in NC?

I'm meetin' my friend from Atlanta downtown tomorrow for a cup of coffee and a good chin wag. That will be fun. She's visiting British Columbia in October so I'm going to give her the scoop.

Oh yeah, my mum phoned last night to tell us that she'll be computerless for a while because computer guy came over to see why here computer was running so crappily and said he'd have to take the whole thing away because it's just riddled with viruses and other junk. SOME day she'll learn not to open those e mail attachments her whacky friends send her. :D My dad has no such problems since he swears he will never, even touch a computer. Doesn't need one 'cause he has his trusty (neither electric nor electronic) typewriter. No matter that the "i" doesn't work and he has to write it in later with a pen. :dizzy: Aren't parental units just hilarious?

Must go clear out the dishwasher. I'm on a "keep the tip tidy" mission this week.

PainterWoman
09-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Greetings!!
Sug-- you are SO right about weird parental units!
Bravo to any of you who can SEE to pluck chin hairs. (I am NOT interested in waxing... have any of you taken that risk?)

Kiwi-- I don't have to PRACTICE amnesia... it seems to come pretty naturally to me!

Wabbs-- I'm sorry about about the pooch.... I'm not look forward to outliving our cat, either. But boy, they are such good company. (except when they've chewed something important!!)

Here's the rest of my stuff... no response needed...l turns out I heal a bit when I "go public" with my weird ideas about food, body and feelings.

I am very discouraged about the scale staying the same. And, it may be a side effect of the Arimidex I'm taking to avoid recurrence of breast cancer. What if I can't eat enough less or exercise enough more to get ahead of the side effects? :cry:
The wins?
1. I've been on plan since Monday. That is longer and better than I've done in several YEARS. I feel really good about that. Proud, even. Which "feels" risky and scary. Apparently there are rules in my head that say I shouldn't feel good, proud OR happy.
2. I can challenge the feelings of criticism of my success.
3. I presided over two teleconferences (on public speaking). There weren't lots of participants, but the ones who attended seemed pleased. (and email me if you want to know more.. hope the moderators let this through.) I hadn't dealt with the technology before, nor had I presented this particular material. There were some pretty savvy people who said they got "good takeaways."
4. I used the stationery bicycle again... for longer... and so far, I'm NOT STIFF OR SORE. Much better than the diabolicfal elliptical try out!
5. DH, bless his heart, got the munchies (no, no pot, just the residual word we use for wanting to eat even though we had a big enough dinner...)... and asked my permission to have some peanut M&M's. I was (sort of) mature and said that was his choice and up to him. I mean who am I to regulate HIS food... diabetic or not. So he ate some... and I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO COME UNGLUED. But I didn't tell him to stop crunching or leave the room or anything else like that. I FELT SO ANGRY. And I was starting to cry. (Whassup with THAT?!) So I did a drawing. Flames of anger in my chest, and a tear running down my face... and the m&ms, too. DH asked me what I was drawing... and I was (by then) calm enough to tell him. And "confessing" my feelings (and him listening with way more understanding than I could have asked for) helped me feel much better. Plus he switched the whole thing around by asking me, "So you do something you could be proud of by not having m&m's too, and by be tolerant and get MAD at yourself? feel CRAPPY? What a different way to look at it!! And once again, I realized that a lot of craziness about food is actually shame about emotions evoked by things other than MY eating habits.
6. My tx pointed out that if food really IS a reliable comfort to me (and THAT's the truth!!);) that it was paradoxical to restrict eating to two meals/day (plus a big late night binge). It is scary to PLAN to eat that many times a day (becuase it's never been about hunger). But I've been having at least 3 "eating times" and a snack since Monday. Using the food plan from the American Diabetic Association that was recommended to me by a nutritionist a while back.
It's tolerable. That's a win.

(Apologies for the weird spelling, typos, in my last posting.):o

Schatzi
09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Painter: :hug: you can always come here to write your feelings and thoughts..
I share a lot of what you feel ..

Ok cowsies... here is an overview of our trip to Asheville as promised!

Well gotta tell ya I am absolutely in with the Asheville NC area! So much to do and see! The colors were just starting to change and we took a 60 mile drive on the Blue Ridge Pkwy stopping at some views and picking blueberries .. Our first night we decided on Japanese Hibachi, and had the BEST Hibachi dinner ever at Ichiban's located in the Biltmore village. The chef delighted us with the standards: Onion Volcano,egg in the hat...and some tricks and knife work that I've never seen before! We took a ride through downtown Asheville stopping at such unique and funky shops.. eclectic, eccentric...oh definitely my cup of tea!
The trainride was ok..it ran along the Nantahala river so Ken and I could do some WW kayak spotting .. It ran out of a little town called Bryson City where upon our return "Railfest" was in full swing.. We wandered through all arts and craftsy flea market while a BlueGrass band provided music.. That night we had dinner on the Sunset Terrace at Grove Park inn.. We had "ring side" seating at the balcony slowly watching the sun set over the Smokeys while the fog came in to blanket the mountains for the night.. We watched them disappear before our eyes in shades of amber, pink and purple over Filet mignon and a bottle of Merlot while the jazz quartet played in the background.

You need at least 2 days to take in all of the Biltmore..just incredible! We took the audio tour ..and a "behind the scenes" tour through the mansion.. Words can't describe the grandeur, delicious decadence and feast for the eyes with grand rococo carvings, silk enrobed walls...just incredible! We took a walk through the various gardens , admiring the Italian sculptures and walking down marble steps under grape and wisteria laden arbors to be greeted by the intense aroma of roses...thousands of roses! Into the Conservatory to admire tropical and unusual plants and flowers..
Unfortunately by this time it was near 3 oclock, and had to head back home... We plan to go back to see the Winery and The Farm... I would definitely retake the audio tour as in addition to the narrative on each room, it had a number of other audio "trivia" info on each room, that I missed.

Asheville really felt like "home" to me--and to Ken too.. Next Fall we plan to book a cabin for a week during the peak of leaf peeping season, and attend th e Kayak paddle clinic offered... And we plan a summer kayak on the Nantahala.. .. Too bad that there isnt a Cisco office out that way or we would be moving to that area..but we agree... Looks like a place we want to retire to!
The rest of DH's vacay has been a massive Land Hunt..looking for a patch to build our house on.. Topography maps, perk sites, and slogging through underbrush and brambles has become my life!

Wabby
09-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Aaaaah, Schatzi! Your trip sounded scrumptious. I forgot to give y'all details of our trip we made to Port Townsend. It wasn't a bit like Schatzi's trip. We got into town late on a friday afternoon. I called the visitor's center to get some recommendations on hotel accomodations. Person on the line said "this town is full up, you won't find a room". Panic. Called a hotel, they said "sure we have several rooms". We arrived, paid waaaay more than we were planning, but hey - it was a room in this town which supposedly was full to the brim. Opened door to our room and DH said "this isn't a hotel, it's a french whore house". The decor was someones idea of lavish, but it was really just tacky white and gold plastic. I'm not griping b/c it was new and had a jacuzzi the size of a jr. olympic pool in the middle of it. We heard one other couple as they opened the door to their room - the wife said "honey, this is a hootchie-coochie house". :lol: We went to a restaurant. DH asked for green salad w/ blue cheese dressing. They only served caesar or another house salad w/ raspberry vinagrette. DH gave me this look. I could see steam coming out of his ears. He asked for the caesar w/o the dressing and just add blue cheese. She said she couldn't accomodate him. I told him "DH, they have no blue cheese dressing in the kitchen. The salad is already made. Eat something else. He looked at the waitress dead on and said "you should have a plain salad w/ blue cheese." Have you ever seen a grown man just about lay down in the floor and throw a tantrum? Geeez. I told DH there is no way I'd ever travel to Europe w/ him b/c he can't even handle a trip to the next state. And that was my trip. Little different than Schatzi's, huh? I swear the happiest I saw DH that whole trip was when he was driving up the driveway to our house. :dizzy: cwazy mr. wabbit.

Kiwonk
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi Sugar, hope your cold is short-lived. Here's a good Pollyannaish suggestion: get going on those yoga tapes and you'll sweat all the bad germs out. What was the name of our Israeli friend in leopard print? That's what I really wanted to say instead of Pollyanna, but I can't think of her name. Perhaps before I finish this message.

Painty -- here's the lowdown on chinhair from my side of the reading glasses: I am fortunate enough to be both near-sighted and need reading glasses, so if I take out my contacts I can see up close very nicely. Otherwise it would require some high-powered lenses. I started a few years ago bleaching the 'stache because it was just getting too noticeable for my comfort. Then came the stray chinnychinchins. I plucked them out now and then. Then things got a little hairier, shall we say, so I tried the depilatory route. I decided that was not for me: first of all it would not get rid of some of the tougher little buggers, and secondly it left me with stubble in a few days almost as if I'd shaved. Yuk! So, yes, I have resorted to waxing. It's not fun, but it lasts a long time and there is no stubble. I still have to tweeze now and then.

Good for you on the diet efforts and the ruminations. Like Schatzi, I like when you share your thoughts, I can identify with a lot of it. By the way that scary risky feeling is good good good! Much like the feeling of hunger now and then. If you can tolerate it for a while, that = progress!

I'm afraid I have that same anger for similar reasons, but I don't share it. I can't bring myself to say "you doing what I want to do makes me angry and upset."

Ah, your Asheville visit sounds divine, Schatzi! Too bad you can't live there, it sounds ideal. Would you like to live in Cary? I'm working very hard to win the Martha Stewart KB Home for you. Of course you'd have to buy it from me...

Here are my pictures from the Nantahala. Circa 1974. I'm the one sitting in the front left seat, next to the girl in the bandanna (my best friend growing up).

Kiwi

Bagzz
09-22-2006, 10:22 PM
oh my gawwwwwwwwwd those pics are sooooooooo cool kiwonkers!!! your dd looks like YOU!!! for sure-----i loooooooooved your vacation schatzi!!!! next year we are ALL going with you and your dh to the Biltmore---my sister was there and lovvvvvvvvved it---she brought me home a souvenir---i guess there were lots of those to be had!! and wabbs----------haaaaaaaaaaaaa on your dh's salad problems--------i know it likely wasn't that funny at the time but it made ME laugh!!----and to darling painty---I HEAR YAS~~~!!!!!=== the great thing is ---you DO know how to express yourself and i think that is what is lacking in alot of the familial relationships-----i think we could all use a seminar!!!!====i just had two mike's hard lemonades so i needs to go to BED!!!! however---one more think kiwonk-----------JUNE JUNE JUNE!!!! SHE WAS OUR POLITICALLY CORRECT,ANATOMICALLY PERFECT ,BROMIDE SPOUTING ,ZEN MASTER!!!!{ remember when we upset her by our delightful affirmations!!! " i am a fat cow and i always will be "

PainterWoman
09-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Ah, Wabbs-- Sometimes men are NOT all brave, flexible and calm like they'd have us be, are they. My darling DH had a verifiable conniption this evening b3ecause the traffic signal "skipped" our left turn arrow. Cussing, squealing tires, etc... and we'd ALREADY eaten, so it wasn't low blood sugar or anything. And some men bluster when their expectations are thwarted. I agree with DH that the restaurant should have been accomodating, or offered alternatives, or apologized... not just given flat "NO's".

Schatz-- what an adventure. I'm counseing a couple who had an "opportunity" to be married at the Biltmore in November... haven't heard how that came to be... they don't seem like hootchie cootchie types, or especially upscale/pretentiious... DS's wedding in small town Indiana is expensive... I can only imagine what it would be in a "venue."

Kiwi-- I found a huge amount of strength and courage I didn't know I had in me when I told DH how upset I was that he was doing something I wanted to do but was restricting. It was like telling the truth out loud. My truth. And I could trust him not to be (overly) defensive. (Maturity is a great thing in a marriage!)

Must be sure to go to bed after computer entries... no detour to what I bought at the store when I was HUNGRY.

No restricted foods... just wiser portion sizes and choices....

Cherry Cow
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Hello well-traveled Cowies!

Wabby, sorry about your old dog. My pointer is now 13 and has all those weird little fat lumps that skinny old dogs get. Other than that, she acts like a puppy. The mutt will be 13 in January. She's on a diet, poor thing. We were at a picnic the other night where the hosts had a 14-year-old dog who basically couldn't do anything and lived in the utility room. I'm in denial about that happening with my darlings.

I have had chin hairs since as long as I can remember. I think it's genetic. I don't wax, I pluck. But I do occasionally wax my eyebrows because I get bored of plucking them.

I'm still at appx 85 kilos. Got to 83, but then went to the inlaws for Labor Day and drank pops and ate bad stuff. I have to get back to restricting my diet. The vegetarian part is easy, but keeping out of the high-fructose corn syrup is harder.

DH and I are still running at least twice a week. We get too tired by the end of the week to go the third time. Sigh.

And I hurt my shoulder. My right shoulder this time. I gained a bunch of weight last time this happened.

Painty, I definitely cannot shop when I'm hungry. It all goes out the window!

Oh, in the category of bad ideas, I'm now reading Candyfreak. Now I just want chocolate!

Kiwonk
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I have to get back to restricting my diet. The vegetarian part is easy, but keeping out of the high-fructose corn syrup is harder.Interesting, I'm just the opposite. I can cut out sodas, most sweets, candy etc from my diet without too much effort. I can't get myself to eat large enough amounts of veggies to make any difference. I want my meat and cheese and salty fatty stuff. I'd rather have a can of Chef Boyardee than a bowl of ice cream. Demented, eh?

I think I'll change my weight to kilos. It'll be like I've lost a ton.

Hey, guess what -- exciting item for geeks like me: Google has a calculator function that works automatically. You can type any kind of measurement into the search box and get an instant conversion. ex: if you type in "145 pounds to kilos" and hit search, you'll get the answer right at the top of the search results page. You can even convert pounds to stone, if you want to feel especially light.

My adorable grownup nephew who got married a little over a year ago in Charleston has completely split up with his wife. Apparently she was seeing someone else for months and finally moved out and moved away with her new boyfriend. Unbelievable. She seemed like such a sincere, lovely person, and I know my nephew was very serious about being married and very happy, at least at first. It's sickening to find out that it was all an act and she was basically "trying on" the idea of being married and decided it wasn't what she wanted after all (she actually said something like this apparently).

Anyway, he is being transferred by his company and moving (from Charlotte) to Boston! I think this is great, DD will be able to connect with him and we can see him now and then too. He's a great guy, I hope he lands on his feet.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
09-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Great recommittment, Kiwi. I'd like to lose a ton, too.
So sorry about your nephew. Who does he work for... DD is there working for Fidelity.... Best wishes.

SugP
09-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi cowies! I've read all yer news, both good and bad and will comment later, BUT our very own Peachblossom just mailed to to ask if I would post about her

NEW

BETTER

CLOSER

:flow1::cheer::cloud9:JOB!!!!!:cloud9::cheer::flow 1:

Yaaaaayyyyyy! She said she was too excited to post right now but I'm sure she'll check in later.

Wabby
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Yayyyyy for Peachez!!!! That's wonderful news!! can't wait to hear more!

That's too bad about your nephew, Kiwi. It's hard to understand how someone can be so cavalier w/ someone else's life. We had a friend who got married and then found out after the fact that his wife had been dating some other guy (married) the entire time they'd been engaged, right on thru their first year of marriage. They split, obviously, but it took him years to get over her. Hopefully the nephew will rebound ok. The change of location will help.

The vegetarian part is easy, but keeping out of the high-fructose corn syrup is harder.
I agree with you there, Cherry. I love my veggies (along with all other food on the planet) but all that processed food is just sooooo easy. give yourself a pat on the back for running the 2x's a week that you do. That's so much better than most ppl. Do you still do the Cathe tapes?

OOOOh- another Google gadget. I love it. Have you ever gone to zillow.com? you can input an address and it will tell you an estimated value, what the taxes are and even what the current owner paid for it (kinda big brotherish), plus usually an aerial map. Cooler than folding a t-shirt.

Kiwonk
09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm so excited!!! :cb: Peachie has a good job!! Yay! :bravo:
Come in here and tell us all about it RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twirly:

Painty, I believe my mother said DNeph works for a division of Bank of America.

Hey, it's a beautiful sunny day! I should be outside, picking up dog poo or something!

Have a great day, everyone...

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM
That's too bad about your nephew, Kiwi. It's hard to understand how someone can be so cavalier w/ someone else's life. Yeah, it's sickening. He's such a nice guy too, he deserves better.

I'll have to go check out that zillow place. I love stalker-ware.

Kiwi

Bagzz
09-25-2006, 08:28 PM
in the end---the nephew will be glad that he got out of it EARLY on ,had no children to tie him to that mean girl and will find a great woman cause he is such a sweet person!!! in the end----he is better off without her!!!! NOW---peachbat--get the **** over here and TELL US WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON!!! THIS NEEDS TO COME STRAIGHT FROM THE COW'S MOUTH!!! SNAP TO IT!!!!!!

Cowpernia
09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, I don't know what to say. So sorry to hear about Kiwi-nephew. DS came home this weekend. He looked shaggy, unshaven and his tee shirt was a bit dirty. He was cuddly for a while then his phone rang and he spent the evening in another room ( like the old days) talking to lcp. He didn't look happy. This worries me.

I start working with 4-year-olds on Monday. Need advice. How is this done?

SugP
09-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I start working with 4-year-olds on Monday. Need advice. How is this done?

Bring lots of snacks and a wet wash cloth.

When I was doing my ESL teacher training thigie, one of the course leaders said the most important thing you could do in teaching was to "listen with your heart". I like that and I think it would work for 4 yr olds.

Schatzi
09-26-2006, 11:05 AM
What wonderful news Peaches!!! :hug: :dance: I just know you will love this job!

That's just terrible news about DN Kiwi...but yes, better he found out early in the marriage than after children and more emotional financial investing. Nice that he will be close to DD , and hopefully this affords him a new beginning.

Cherry, you are doing so well!!

Painty, I like the idea of no restrictions just portion control.. I think that's what WW is mostly about.. I suffer from portion distortion.. so a serving to me looks like " You've GOT to be kidding!"

I am covered in chigger bites.. They are driving me mad! However, we are much closer to making a decision on some land. 10 acre tracts, 1 in a small one street development that will have about 17 homes on it... The other is part of an "Equestrian village" where I guess the theme here is horse farms.. We really took a shine to the realator.. and have asked him to represent us if we go for the other property.. Both are in a small growing town outside of Chapel Hill. Seems that surburbian trappings will be about a 10-20 minute drive...not bad.. We also found some house plans we like.. must say that the thought of building is both exciting and daunting.

Here's some pics of the biltmore, the smokeys, and a pic of me (I'm not glowing with radiance here girls, I'm just a shiny sweaty mess.)

Cowpernia
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
OMG !!! YOU ARE SO CUTE ! ! ! ! !

The palace and the landscape are beautiful pictures but YOU are darling. I am so unhappy now. There are more and more people who I should never stand next to.

Cowpernia
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I actually spent a summer in the Blue Ridge mountains when I was in college. That middle picture brings back that beautiful place. Amazingly gorgeous. You could look far far far far down into a valley and see one little shack/house. How did people get to it and how did they get anywhere else? Wish I was there now. Thanks for the sweet memory. You cutie pie!

Wabby
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
The cutie patootie Schatzie is revealed!!!! You're even cuter than I suspected and that's pretty darn cute! It's so good to see your smiling face!:hug:

Dear Miss Peach, I'm so happy you got a job that you'll love - 4 year olds are about the sweetest creatures on earth.

Bagzz
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
hey shatz!!! thanks for the pics!!! it's great to be able to put a face on a voice---and a friendly ,pretty face you have!!! Don't let Peachers fool you---she is a hottie who wears Pop Tops!!! {and has recently had a lovely haircut} SO PEACHBAG----SPILL THE BEANS---IS THIS a primary school,is this kindergarten??? what are the DEETS????? ------do tell!!!!!-----oh,and thank you america for sending a generous cruise ship by the harbour today---they finally spent some CASH!!!!!----the Queen Mary is coming twice in October and some of the cabins are fifty thousand for the trip so i hope they need some new trinkets!!!!!

Bagzz
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
i like that "reason" box you can fill in for "editing"---it's just the kind of thing we cows can have fun with---i must see if it takes swearing.........

Bagzz
09-26-2006, 04:28 PM
guess not

Kiwonk
09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
DS came home this weekend. He looked shaggy, unshaven and his tee shirt was a bit dirty. He was cuddly for a while then his phone rang and he spent the evening in another room ( like the old days) talking to lcp. He didn't look happy. This worries me.Wow, sounds to me like he needed some "home". Not that he'd ever let on, I suppose. When DD was home for the weekend, she pretty much physically crashed. I think it's a freshman symptom. The only thing that perked her up was when BF came over for the evening.

Speaking of DD and BF (right, I know, you weren't), they are coming up on their one year anniversary :yikes: Holy crap, eh?

Wow, love the photos, Schatzi! So gorgeous and scenic! And the ones of the Biltmore and the mountains are good too. :lol: Actually that one of the mountains is really spectacular. How come my photos don't come out like that? You should see the dreck I took the other day. So crummy they're not worth uploading.

What did you do in the Blue Ridge during college, Peachie? I used to spend a lot of time there. When I was a freshman, I spent the 3 week winter intercession there, slept on the floor in my friend's dorm at Appalachian State U and worked in a horrible fast food restaurant. Then that summer we both got jobs at Sugar Mountain babysitting the Spoiled Kids Program at the resort. Actually my other memories of the mountains are better. Spent a weekend with DH gallivanting in mountain streams shortly after we met... Had my first drag of illegal substances at my friend's weekend house on "Gay Mountain". Spent many many long weekends in junior hi and high school on church retreats at various beautiful locations. Did a lot of skiing too, and rock sliding.

Wow, must stop reminiscing. Bagz, glad to hear you are getting some nice bidness from the touristas. Wabbit, I made brined chicken last week and DH liked it so much he wants more more more. So I'm going to go brine a whole bunch more. Hi Sugar. Later, kids.

Oh, Congrats on the job, Peach. 4 year olds are a trip.

Kiwi

Cherry Cow
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Schatzi, you're so cute!

Peachie, congrats on your new job. Sounds like it will be fun. I love four-year-olds... they're so surprising.

I'm supposed to be cleaning... in-laws here this weekend and all. I just can't get motivated. I have WORK to do!

I've uploaded a picture of me taken this summer. I'm still not used to how my face looks at this weight. It's weird. But this is me.

Bagzz
09-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Cherry is adorable---there are no two ways about it---now it's time for everyone to find their best pictures and show them---i will be looking in the 1970's for mine-----like those OLD men who die ----in our papers,they always have a picture of them in their WWII regalia- all clean cut and dapper--they were all very handsome back in the day---------------however,most of them wouldn't look so great up the parlours. i will have to look for a long time to find a picture that presents an inaccurate image of me in THIS decade. It's hard to believe how TERRIBLE one begins to appear on celluloid {must have something to do with the cellulite---there must be a connection}

SugP
09-27-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm completely bowled over by the cuuuuuteness of you two, Schatzi and Cherry!!!

Nothing new here. Kids had sports day yesterday and it rained after being scorching hot for the past two weeks. They didn't mind much.

Get this: in Germany they have an absolute FIT if you try to take your kid out of school a couple days early for vacation or something and you have to put in some application to the Ministry of Education or something, BUT, the school turned 50 yrs old this week so they've been having celebrations every day and the kids have done NOTHING. They also get Friday off for unknown reasons and THEN, Tuesday, Oct 3 is German Unity Day (you know, the fall of the Berlin Wall and all that) so they get Tuesday off AND Monday to go with it. After that, ds10 is going on a week-long field trip from Oct 9-13 where they will also do nothing and to top it off, the kids have the last two weeks of October off for fall break! Can we see why the German education system isn't so hot these days? Sheesh.

That's SO sad about the nephew, Kiwi. It's always the nice ones that get the short end of the stick. Or something. Hopefully he'll be able to find someone who's serious about a relationship.

I am still fat. Must go buy chicken breasts and make another cake with the rest of those freakin' plums.

Wabby
09-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh! post pictures???? Fine if you are the fresh faced young Cherry with the gawgeous amber hair. Lord, woman how many hours does it take to dry beeeuuuteeeful thick hair like that? I need to go find someone with lots of uplighting and one of those soft filters on their camera.

Kiwi, isn't that brined chicken yummy? The thing that's great about it is that you can cook up a bunch ahead of time, freeze it and use it in all kinds of recipes. Try chicken fajitas made w/ it --- delish.

We are having an indian summer here. It's been downright hot this past week - in the mid to upper 80's (30 cel) and no rain in sight. It's crazy b/c a week ago I was wearing sweaters.

I can't wait to take Kayden to the punkin patch this year.

Kiwonk
09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Pictures, huh? I like to think of myself as about 22, but occasionally I can face reality enough to dig up a current photo.... I'd rather post pictures of Jet or DD, but I'll try.

I'm posting this of Jet anyway, because for one thing it shows our back yard in a state I'm not embarrassed of, and secondly it is practically the same shot as the puppy shot I use as my avatar, except for the tennis ball in her mouth. Wow, you should feel her coat these days. As the days have gotten cooler, it's thickening up and it is getting quite luxurious. Go ahead, run your hands through it. Oh, gee, sorry, you can't.

I'll look for one of me later. DH just went into town and picked up DD's yearbook. Yeah, from last year. Only took them 6 months to get it out. Oy.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Yup, Wab, that brined chicken is very yummy. I did it with chicken pieces (bone in) because that's what I had. And then I broiled them with a seasoned salt mixture. I thought it was a bit too salty, but DH thought it was divine. Yesterday when I did the same thing I left out the salt and just did a light seasoning. Came out very well. I also brined a whole bunch more and plan to cook them for the freezer today. DH went to the big city for the afternoon/evening so maybe I'll experiment with a few different recipes.

Here is a recent photo of me. I am squeezed in between DH and my FIL, taking inches off my girth...

Kiwi

Wabby
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Check out this website - http://www.hungry-girl.com/ Lots of good weight loss recipes, food reviews, diet info, etc.

That was my on topic post for the day.

Aaaaah. Kiwi of the taffy colored hair. You're another of those women with the thick, gorgeous hair. I really can't come up w/ any recent pictures b/c I've become an expert at avoiding photographers.

Feeling blue today for no apparent reason - must the mental pause. I can blame just about anything on that.

Kiwonk
09-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Very cute site.

I've been to the dentist and McDonald's today so far. Also I think I'm gaining weight, not losing it. I'm blaming all of it on menopause too.

Kiwi

Schatzi
09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Cherry of the thick lush strawberry hair! How GAWJUS!!!! Kiwi I fail to see the fatness you proclaim to suffer from.. you are purty and a healthy weight me thinks!

Don't know if its the firewall or router or what..many conne tion problems today... it's taken me forever to write this

Kiwonk
09-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Well it's a rainy Friday afternoon and I am shortly going to get ready to go out for an evening of fun and hilarity. Or food and music. Maybe all 4. We're meeting sailing buddies and their visiting kin from Australia for Thai food, then we're going to a concert of flute music by Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), then maybe drinks at the Sea Dog. All this will involve driving of an hour and a half on each end of the evening, so I might bow out early because I have to leave the dog home from 4:00 on. I think 8 hours is probably her limit.

DH is going to spend the rest of the weekend on the sailboat, so he is staying overnight with the friends in their RV. I am heading back home because I want to take Jet to an obedience clinic tomorrow. It's too cold to enjoy the boat anyway, and he's getting it ready to be pulled out of the water on Monday. I will miss some of the socializing, but I won't really miss it.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Got an email today from the new secretary of the hs performing arts boosters containing the minutes of the last meeting (I was the sec'y for 2 years and am now just helping out on big events). Made me want to either take the job back or complain. Guess I won't do either, but I don't think I can leave one of the mistakes alone -- she wrote that 4th grade band members were going to be able to take recording lessons this year. Should have been that 4th graders will be learning the recorder instead of starting band this year. I guess if you weren't a music person this would be a meaningless distinction, but if you are a music person it's absurd.

I like correcting things, but I hate correcting people. Know what I mean? I always feel really bad when I give in to temptation and correct someone. On the other hand, in this case I could merely offer a suggestion to "amend the minutes". I had a few of those come in when I was sec'y. It made me feel a little defensive, but I got over it.

Ever feel not ill-equipped for the real world?

Kiwi

Kiwonk
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Everything takes me forever to write, Schatzi! Haha I fooled you with my photo camoflage -- a man on each side is the perfect camo. Healthy weight, nope -- I weigh the same as did the day before I gave birth. Not so good.

Wabby
09-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Ever feel not ill-equipped for the real world? Hmmm. I always feel ill equipped for the real world. Why else would I agree to sit in this office all day every day?

I'm counting down the minutes until I can eat my lunch. Eleven o'clock is the earliest I allow myself to eat.

I'm having the worst visit ever w/ dear Aunt Flo. Damn her.

Kiwi, that sounds like a lot of driving for a good time. I guess that's part of the bargain when you live waaaay up in the deep woods, huh?

Kiwonk
09-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Indeed, that is true. Don't remind me how incredibly convenient everything is in your area (my dietitian friend who moved there reminds of that regularly). I suppose one advantage here is that you don't bother to spend a whole lot of money because it's too much trouble.

Aunt Flo shoulda croaked by now. Damn her indeed.

kiwi

Bagzz
09-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Death to Aunt Flo!!!----she keeps arriving later and later here which is nice,except the NOT knowing when she may show up. How do you book a pap with that kind of schedule???? enough of that crap---this weekend is the Annual Fall Foliage Tour I take with my autumn loving friend---i know you will all await with baited breath for your pics that i will bore you with !!!! how many times can you look at a red maple leaf??? i hope we find some orange ones--they are my favourite!!!----hope you had a grand time at your party miss kiwonkers-----hope your weekend sees the end of that misery,miss wabby---hello miss shatz---good to see you back!! hi cherry-hi sugar,hi peachpie-------------stay tuned!!!!

Bagzz
09-29-2006, 08:45 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh i am thrilled--i managed to upload one of last years pictures as an avatar!!!! yee haa---i love the fall!!!

Cowpernia
09-30-2006, 07:52 AM
there have been pictures here. how wonderful !!! You are all so wonderful.

I have been having my usual exciting life. Yawn. I can barely bring my hands out of my life to type as I can think of nothing.

Today is the first day of my new routine of working at the supermarket one day a week. This means I get tomorrow off. How long has it been since I had a Sunday off (not counting taking DS to college?) .... February is the answer.

I am too bored with myself.

Kiwonk
10-01-2006, 01:15 PM
That's purtypurtypurty, Bagz. And your mad puter skillz are impressive! Of course I want foliage peectures, load me up!

When's your new job start, Peachie? I'm glad you have Sunday off. Nobody should work on Sunday. Have you met the little 4 year old darlings? Where are you going to be, a pre-school?

I have been out on a dog-walk this morning. An hour and a half. I feel so virtuous. The weather is gorgeous, still Indian summer -- how lucky!!

The Ian Anderson concert was awesome!! It was very different from what I expected. There was a lot of Jethro Tull music, although a good bit of it was different type arrangements than the originals. Not a lot of "ear-bleeding" music as they described it. But at least half of the concert was entirely different; a whole lot of fascinating stuff. They had a chamber orchestra from N.E. Conservatory (almost all young women) backing up their old-guy band. They did some interesting reworkings of classical music that were fantastic, and he had a guest violinist, a woman who looked like a college student herself but is actually a physics professor :dunno: ; she had all the men drooling and making fools of themselves. She was also the perfect foil for Ian Anderson's goofy mannerisms. He is one strange little man. Although heaven on earth on the flute. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yesterday I was in the Big City to go to a dog obedience clinic "Walking on a Leash Politely" -- I'm not sure it was worth the trip. When we started, the guy leading the session asked if he could use Jet as a demo, and after trying for a few minutes he gave up and gave her back to me. :lol: She hadn't the slightest interest in the yummy liver treats he was trying to use to get her attention -- mainly because there were 7 other dogs there Yippee Lemme at em!!!! Well, it made me laugh anyway, but we got a few pointers and things to work on, lord knows if it will make any difference. She is so strong now, even though she's only 40 pounds she can actually pull me right over if I'm not prepared.

Anyway, after that I went to the mall, and I didn't really have anything I needed to do. DH was out sailing on the coast with the other people we went to the concert with. So I called DD to see if she wanted me to do any shopping for her. She was sitting on Boston Common with BF and BFtwin and their older brother, listening to live music. They had been touring Boston all day and were taking a breather before going out to dinner. She and BF had gone to Filene's basement (I didn't even know that was still in existence; all the Filene's stores have been turned into Macy's :p ), and she'd gotten a much needed pair of jeans (she says her best pairs are too big, yes too big, for her now :eek: ), so she couldn't think of anything she needed. So I went to the bookstore and then headed home. When I got home, there was a voice message from DD saying to give her a call sometime. I wondered when she left that, so I listened to it again -- it was at 5:18, and you could hear someone singing in the background. I thought that was odd, that was right around the time I talked to her and it sounded just like the music I could hear when I talked to her. So I checked my cellphone and sure enough, I had called her at 5:19. I figured the times were a little off and she had called me right after we hung up or something, so I called her again, and she said she'd left me that message only a minute before I called. She thought I'd gotten it and had called right back. How spooky is that???? I'd love to think we are that in-tune with each other, but I don't really believe it! Made my day, though. :D

Kiwi

Cowpernia
10-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I am envious of kiwi's Gilmore-girls relatioship with dd. There's a young woman at the supermarket who went to a different college from ds. When the 2 schools played football, she went to Gainesville to watch it on tv with another young woman who worked at our store. She was in town this weekend (working at the supermarket) and told me she saw ds at the mall with lcp.

I was hurt and angry. I called ds later and told him it upset me to get just a sentence or two from him and hear the real stories from other people. "I wanted to see her so I brought her up," he said. I told him there was nothing wrong with that but I'd like to know what my son's life is like.

Then he told me he joined the fencing club. Sigh. That's the last I'll hear of the fencing club.

What happened to that sweet docile little grey-legged puppy from Jet's litter? She's probably walking happily on leashes and accompanying her owners on trips to china shops.

The job starts tomorrow. I am anxious about it. Hold my hand.

Doesn't Kiwiette know about the Freshman-15?

Kiwonk
10-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I am envious of kiwi's Gilmore-girls relatioship with dd. Hmm, I'd love to believe that. Truth is I can't get her to answer an email, even when I ask questions that need answers ASAP. She is good about calling a couple of times a week and she's easy to get hold of, so we manage to keep tabs on what she's up to. The truth is that part of our advantage is the example of the BF's family, who all talk to each other every day or so, and visit each other regularly. If she had not gotten to know them, I suspect she would find it a real burden to keep in touch with us. After all, I only talk to my family every few weeks, and DH speaks to his, who live 10 miles away from us, maybe once a week at the most.

Doesn't Kiwiette know about the Freshman-15?Yeah, really. I'm so jealous. Turns out that dancing 4 nights a week is helpful for keeping the weight off. She's taking a dance class (Kathak Dance from northern India) for credit and also joined the Irish dance club which practices twice a week. She says she eats like a pig, although a couple of days a week she doesn't get to regular meals because of her schedule. Ah, to be young.

I took fencing when I was in college. I was awful.
What happened to that sweet docile little grey-legged puppy from Jet's litter? She's probably walking happily on leashes and accompanying her owners on trips to china shops.Ah, Diva. Don't remind me! You are probably right! At least I didn't bring home the nervous shy one (Yellow). Sometimes that is more dangerous than boisterous bull-in-china-shop types like Jet.

Good luck on the job. I look forward to hearing about it. :hug: Think of all those trusting little heads looking to you for affection.

Kiwi

Schatzi
10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
DD is Stunnink in the Avatar Kiwi.. Ian Anderson..what a hoot.. yes indeed a strange little man .. We saw him at the Beacon theater post Tull, and I think in the off season of sheep herding... I think that's what he did then... herd and shear sheep methinks :chin: anyway--yes a master on that flute!!!
I think Jet is and will be the most devoted dog to you Kiwi!

Cowie- the little ones will just adore you ! You must tell us all about your first day! And darlink, don't forget that not only is DS a young adult/teen away from home for the first time but is of the Male persuasion... I just saw a Primetime or Dateline special on the differences in male and female brains and chemical composition..Fascinating! indeed, the male is an alien being..

Bagz I plan on many a sugar maple on my propurty.. I just love how they turn orange and red orange..my favorite! The colors are just startin to change here..I hope fer a colorful fall... we had lots of rain this year..so I hope to be stunned..

Another weekend spent slogging though woods... we found a 10 acre plot that looks to be near purfect... I wish it had more trees on it ... but I guess it will be less $$ to clear it.. and I will plant them sugar maples,,, and aspens.. Next time we go out to the property I'll take some pics.. It's going to be a small community of about 22 homes - each with a minimum of 10 acres..
We'll see what happens next...but now every plot of land is beginning to look the same ...

Kiwonk
10-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Did we miss Canadian Thanksgiving? Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be on any of my calendars ;) ! Well I hope it was lovely if we did.

Hope Peachie's first day was fun or at least problem free. Come tell us! I for one am waiting with bated breath. And you know how unpleasant bated breath can get after a while :lol:

Schatzi, I'm always amazed to hear that people are constructing developments on 10 acre apiece lots. Sounds lovely, but what do you do with the extra space, when you live in a development? Don't all developments end up with all those restrictions, like no livestock, no businesses, no this no that? Maybe not.

Later gators
Kiwi

Wabby
10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Nope, we haven't missed it Kiwi, it's Oct. 9th. Still time to send a pumpkin pie to the northland.

I'm jealous of Schatzi land's acreage subdivisions. Rarely happens here, unless it was land that was subdivided in the early 80's. Around here, it's all about high density housing. Apparently the higher ups thought all the farm land was getting gobbled up, so they put into effect extremely strict land use laws. It's possible to build a new house on acreage, but you can't believe the hoops you have to jump through. Will you be allowed to have critters on your property, Schatz, or is that restricted?

Re: sugar maples ---- I planted a bunch of them along our property line about 15 years ago. They were little twigs I bought for a buck a piece @ the Arbor Day Foundation sale. Now they're big gorgeous trees that are probably about 25 ft. tall. It will really, really break my heart if they mow down my trees when we move. For some reason one of them always turns red and loses it's leaves in September and the rest wait until October. Maybe I'll email you back some foliage photos of my trees, Bagzie.

Lord, I used to love Jethro Tull back in the day.....

My WW recipe for the day---- Mix 1 15 oz. can pumpkin w/ one box spice cake mix & 1/3 C. water. Spoon batter into 24 muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. .............. 2 WW points and all those lovely vitamins that pumpkin has ........... supposed to be good for breakfast. I'll make them and report back to you.

Can't wait for the blow by blow on Peaches first day of work!!!!

Kiwonk
10-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow, that sounds really good, Wabby, and so simple!! I have been thinking about spice cake lately, I can't remember why. I think I need to buy some....

Kiwi

Schatzi
10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
sounds yummalish! a 2 point muffin for breakfast sounds wonderful... I am counting calories, WW , with a slap a South Beach thrown in... and if I want wine, I guess it could count under the Sonoma diet too... and right now I am eating a slimfast chocolate nougat snack bar. An equal opportunity dieter.

These kind of places appeal to folks who grew up and lived on top of each other Kiwi... All that high density housing and sky high prices is what we got away from ..

Don't know if you get or watch Weeds on cable... but the opening song describes what we want to avoid :lol:

It’s an old 60's antiestablishment ditty, called ‘Little Boxes,.’ written/sung by Malvina Reynolds to describe the typical Suburbian development... Same Same Sameness... It goes like this :

’Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.’

I hate restrictions or restrictive covenants so we only looked at places that had the least, or those that made sense... So this place you can have your cats and dogs and birds and up to 4 horses (they are advertising it as an Equestrian Village... Mini Horse farm. ) No Pigs, Chickens or cows... (There are cowsies all around them parts...) You can have a small home business . I can have my pool, I can have a basement or a work shed if I want that.. And the house has to be at least 2000 square feet. We will have a monthly maintenance fee for the paved road and lights... .

I'm just not into the real rural living... being a Suburbia /City gal all my life .. it would be toooooo much culture shock.. looking at some of the plots .. No DSL? No Cell service???? WHAT??? The store is how FAR???? No body around for 5 miles??? And gravel roads are beginning to get on my nerves.

Cowpernia
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
They cry. They kick each other. They touch my wrinkles and then hold my hand. They drop their food on the floor and then eat it. They know very little about the alphabet. I had to eat lunch WITH them and was delish. Brown rice pilaf, chicken tenders, broccoli and milk.

DS is telling me how hard his life is with all that testing and homework and saying "Don't make it harder on me than it is." ..... like I don't belive he spends 3 hours a night on the phone with lcp.

That Shotsy has a politician-peacemaker quality about her doesn't she?

Kiwonk
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
How homey. Seems like you could lose your appetite eating with them, though.
DS is ..... saying "Don't make it harder on me than it is." .Can't tell you how many times I've heard those exact same words. Aren't we an awful burden? :cb:

Kiwi

Wabby
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
The thing about 4 year olds is that they tend to adore their teacher. Not so with 14 year olds, so I think you chose the right age group.

The thing about young adults is that they do still need you, but they don't want you hanging around when they don't. They think they're all grown up, but they're scared that they aren't really. -------Peach, if you'd like someone to be dependant on you, I could send Grandpa Jim to you. He could live in a mobile home next door and never grow up and move out. When you bring him a meal, he'll say "Thanks a million!" (always). He'll call you when you're running late (always when you're running late) and ask if he has any mail (because he will never go check the mailbox himself), or if you have a plunger b/c he flushed crab shells down the toilet and now it's not working very well. He'll tell you his version of the news every day - since he can't hear, it's pretty interesting.

I didn't make the pumpkin spice muffin thingies b/c DD borrowed my muffin tins (kiss those good-bye), so instead I made a ww's crustless pumpkin pie. It was only ok, which didn't stop me from eating plenty, but it's made w/ pumpkin, egg beaters, skim milk, spices & splenda, so I'm allowed.

You can call Schatzi a peacemaker, but being called a politician isn't very flattering these days.

Kiwonk
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
I didn't make the pumpkin spice muffin thingies b/c DD borrowed my muffin tins (kiss those good-bye),The perfect excuse for new bakeware.

Kiwonk
10-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm thinking it's Fall, it's October; we need a new thread. See you thaya

Cowpernia
10-03-2006, 06:54 PM
They scream and scream and scream ear-piercing noises when they don't get their way. I have such a headache. They need tissues. They wet their pants. They do not adore their teachers. Some of the say "NO" and mean it.

My head is pounding. Should I get earplugs?

DS has asked to bring lcp here for Thanskgiving. He means the whole weekend. I said yes.

Kiwonk
10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Wow, sounds like fun...Now I remember why I stopped volunteering in the nursery in church back when I was a teenager. I wonder if earplugs would work. Probably all it would do is make you miss important things like that little voice behind you going "Mrs. Peachie, I'm going to throw up"

Come on over here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95234)and tell me how many light bulbs it takes.